• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not been following the thread much.

Good to know that it is a legitimately good show. The premise seemed sort of dodgy, but it is sounding like it is handled well.

It is kind of an explicit show, but its content is displayed in a way that doesn't feel exploitative or fanservicey, it feels genuine. The direction is very strong in that regard. The cast is all rotten and broken emotionally and the show doesn't pull any punches when it comes to showing that, so be ready for some heavy shit. Also the show looks great artistically. The character design and general art and animation are all done very well. Show is pretty, which is ironic due to the nature of its premise.

KraytarJ

K-ON! OVA
From a thematic pov this ova really worked, after having episode 12 focus on how far the band has come the focus here is on the new step of a live performance removed from school while also making it clear how far not only they have to go but also how far people with a real passion for music are ahead of them. Anyways, good stuff more Mio and Ritsu goodness. Overall a solid OVA that set up S2 pretty darn well.

DAI-GUARD Episode 13

I love Christmas party episodes, very funny with Shirota trying to find the balance between being their superior but also not being completely antisocial.

dont understand why they kicked the company president out after Dai-guard had the successful bout, they are making a terrible mistake

Quasar

Should I be watching Scum's Wish or are y'all trolling?

Looking to pick up another show since dropping Masamune-kun no Revenge. It started out gross and different, but not its just gross and same-old shit.

It's certainly for a specific kind of palette. So I'd say try the first episode to see if it's to your taste. I certainly know folks for whom it's repellant. It's almost too fucked up for me.

Quasar

Fuuka 7

That TV interview scene took me about 10 minutes to get through with all the cringing and cracking up I was doing. She's going on about how the whole thing made things tough for Yuu, and then proceeds to make things about 1000 times worse completely unprovoked and basically made him public enemy #1. Oh, idol culture.

It did make me think of pop music culture and manufactured pop more generally. And how pop starlets (at least in the past) were put on pedestals. And also made me think about how kids like that try and hold onto their normal friendships.

zulux21

Should I be watching Scum's Wish or are y'all trolling?

Looking to pick up another show since dropping Masamune-kun no Revenge. It started out gross and different, but not its just gross and same-old shit.

MAL likes it
gPl4NHC.png

:p

aka 4th highest rated show of the season and highest rated show that isn't a sequel

:p

Ushio and Tora 20

I must cry more easily then before, because man this episode got me emotional. Seeing the creation of the spear was quite something. Really awesome episode!

jonjonaug

I've been watching Kemono friends. It's pretty good, but it's so comfy that I keep falling asleep while watching it. I'm not bored watching it, it's just a really relaxing show.

I had the same problem with Hidamari Sketch. I couldn't make it through the first two episodes because I kept falling asleep.

Ushio and Tora 21

Oh my this was a great episode! the Granny was super cool! She went out with a BANG! But man seeing the old Lady happy and seeing Ushio smile for her made me cry a little...such a sweet moment. Really well done moment.

But that Kirio kid...I don't know. I was hoping he would be cool, but I don't like his attitude. Crazy kid confirmed?
054620d704e29bf4f6ceccc5a8f91906.jpg

The shows been on a good streak since the 19th episode. I was getting scared with how *bad* the middle episodes were getting at times.

Rakugo S2 - 06

Great episode, as usual. I don't think I really understood Yotaro's Rakugo's punch line at the end with the "it's because you're such a pro". Maybe I didn't pay enough attention but if someone can enlighten me that would be appreciated.

Also, god dayum, the OP is so well done. The clockwork ticking at the beginning and the church bells halfway through make it really haunting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MAL likes it now, but at the start of the season it was a 6.

But I knew.

I could smell it.

I knew it would be fantastic.

I kept the faith and I am rewarded.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rakugo S2 - 06

Great episode, as usual. I don't think I really understood Yotaro's Rakugo's punch line at the end with the "it's because you're such a pro". Maybe I didn't pay enough attention but if someone can enlighten me that would be appreciated.
Think it was just a thing where the compliment is playing up how accomplished he is in the service industry. He's even willing to treat a crook well.

Narag

Konosuba S2 5

I didn't think they'd actually address the debt so soon and make it a season long thing instead. Likely lines up with a LN conclusion and frees us up for some new and possibly more entertaining trajectory.

Think it was just a thing where the compliment is playing up how accomplished he is in the service industry. He's even willing to treat a crook well.

Hmm yeh, but it still felt a bit weak as the punchline. I wonder if there was some Japanese wordplay going on in addition that gives it more of an impact.

Gonna see In This Corner of the World in about half an hour.

That gathered a lot of Japanese awards, right?

I checked out one of the director's older works, Princess Arete, some weeks ago and that was alright. Interesting setting but can't say as much for the actual story.

Jarmel

Banned
It's definitely an improvement but MHA wasn't some production disaster or anything.

The production was a bit of a mess. It doesn't fix things like the general art direction but having shots like the Shigaraki face actually being semi-decent does have a notable impact on the show.

KraytarJ

Owarimonogatari 2
God damn Ougi is cool, the way she's able to lead a conversation exactly where she wants to learn exactly what she wants is just so… cool. She may be my #2 character of the series already.

Fuuka Episode 7
download.png

Thank you background character who is also a main character.
Fuuka isn't a good show for a variety of reasons, but perhaps the most important one is that none of the drama in it feels earned at all. The love triangle/square isn't earned. The brand drama isn't earned. This sudden idol fan reaction controversy isn't earned. (God I don't even know how to phrase the latest issue.) Perhaps the biggest reason none of this is earned is how interlocking all of the drama is, yet how divorced all the characters seem from it.
download.png

So the big issue is someone took a photo of Yu, dullard of the highest order, and his thirsty childhood friend turned pop-star Koyuki. This kicks off an response from idol loving weirdos everywhere apparently. People start making threats, people later show up with bottles ready to chuck at Yu's band debut. Yeah, it's a problem. How exactly it's taken so long for people to spot these two together is a bit of mystery as is how exactly someone took their photo so close that neither of them noticed. (Nor has it exactly been made clear how popular Koyuki is really.) Now I think in a better series, a whole episode would be spent on this issue. I don't know much about idols, but I know some people can be weirdly obsessive about them. Sometimes they're forced to make apologies for doing normal things like dating, which is obviously fucked.

Fuuka however doesn't have time for any of that shit, because it's gotta focus on all the other pointless drama.
download_1.png
download.png

This is the main couple here folks.

It's interesting how little actual chemistry Yu and Fuuka actually have. I'm not kidding when I say they alternate between not talking and trying to save each other from ugly confrontations and certain death. There's no middle ground here, no little moments that seem to cement gentle human affection. Fuuka is angry because Yu didn't tell her about how close she was to Koyuki. Putting aside, the fact that he tried to earlier in the series, why the holy hell should he have to tell her anything? They're in a freaking start up band. They're not dating. They haven't even been that close the past few episodes. (Not on screen anyway.) It's this wholly boring empty scene, that doesn't move the plot in any real direction at all.

Next comes probably the most baffling scene of the episode.

download.png
download_1.png

I have expected this to be a heel turn or something. To reveal that she's actually a horrible monster or something.

Rather than do the simple easy thing that would be to the net benefit of literally everyone and just deny that it's her in the photo, Koyuki instead decides the best rational decision to people obsessing over the photo and her is to say Yu is her sole motivation and her childhood love.

giphy.gif

This naturally leads to nothing but good things at the band's debut later in the episode.

download.png

I like how the guy in the suit isn't sure if he's angry or not. "Aw geez, do I wanna be here for this riot?"

It's such a bizarre move on Koyuki's part who up to this point, fixation with Yu aside, seemed pretty down to earth and reasonable. There's not even really a scene afterwards where anyone pulls her aside and asks what the hell she's doing.

This isn't even talking about how the show is paying lip service to the other characters in the band. Boy are they just completely out of focus at this point.

Just watched the first season of konosuba. I gotta say that it didn't really feel like anything special. It was enjoyable and I had a smile on my face plenty of times, but I never burst out laughing like I've done with Gintama.

After all of the praise I expected more. But at least I'd call it a solid enough show where I'll watch a second season.

It did make me think of pop music culture and manufactured pop more generally. And how pop starlets (at least in the past) were put on pedestals. And also made me think about how kids like that try and hold onto their normal friendships.

Fuuka Episode 7

Fuuka isn't a good show for a variety of reasons, but perhaps the most important one is that none of the drama in it feels earned at all. The love triangle/square isn't earned. The brand drama isn't earned. This sudden idol fan reaction controversy isn't earned. (God I don't even know how to phrase the latest issue.) Perhaps the biggest reason none of this is earned is how interlocking all of the drama is, yet how divorced all the characters seem from it.
download.png

So the big issue is someone took a photo of Yu, dullard of the highest order, and his thirsty childhood friend turned pop-star Koyuki. This kicks off an response from idol loving weirdos everywhere apparently. People start making threats, people later show up with bottles ready to chuck at Yu's band debut. Yeah, it's a problem. How exactly it's taken so long for people to spot these two together is a bit of mystery as is how exactly someone took their photo so close that neither of them noticed. (Nor has it exactly been made clear how popular Koyuki is really.) Now I think in a better series, a whole episode would be spent on this issue. I don't know much about idols, but I know some people can be weirdly obsessive about them. Sometimes they're forced to make apologies for doing normal things like dating, which is obviously fucked.

Fuuka however doesn't have time for any of that shit, because it's gotta focus on all the other pointless drama.

It's interesting how little actual chemistry Yu and Fuuka actually have. I'm not kidding when I say they alternate between not talking and trying to save each other from ugly confrontations and certain death. There's no middle ground here, no little moments that seem to cement gentle human affection. Fuuka is angry because Yu didn't tell her about how close she was to Koyuki. Putting aside, the fact that he tried to earlier in the series, why the holy hell should he have to tell her anything? They're in a freaking start up band. They're not dating. They haven't even been that close the past few episodes. (Not on screen anyway.) It's this wholly boring empty scene, that doesn't move the plot in any real direction at all.

Next comes probably the most baffling scene of the episode.

Rather than do the simple easy thing that would be to the net benefit of literally everyone and just deny that it's her in the photo, Koyuki instead decides the best rational decision to people obsessing over the photo and her is to say Yu is her sole motivation and her childhood love.

giphy.gif

This naturally leads to nothing but good things at the band's debut later in the episode.

It's such a bizarre move on Koyuki's part who up to this point, fixation with Yu aside, seemed pretty down to earth and reasonable. There's not even really a scene afterwards where anyone pulls her aside and asks what the hell she's doing.

This isn't even talking about how the show is paying lip service to the other characters in the band. Boy are they just completely out of focus at this point.

I think what gets me most about this series is there's an interesting two potentially storylines buried underneath all this trite romance crap. Yu trying to conquer his social anxiety by forming a band with his new friends and Koyuki's attempt to balance her relationship with her childhood friend with the toxicity of idol culture.

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 19:
As I finished this episode, I sat back and just had to take a moment to soak it all in. I've been a fan of this show all the way through, but this episode was the show's defining moment to date (and I certainly hope that there's more to come. At the start, we got a cute Valentine's Day episode, and that would have been decent enough from a character perspective, but I had no clue what was to come.

As things gradually got more serious, that lead into the main plot of the episode, and then DoGatchmon gets completely overwhelmed. All hope seems lost, DoGatchmon is ready to give up and fade away, but Haru keeps fighting. This is a fantastic scene, with some of the best direction the series has had to date. It's just a perfect view of what makes both of the characters work, and why their dynamic is second to none. I want to see even more of these guys in the future. The Digimon franchise has been defined as much by these "the hero loses hope and his sense of self" moments as anything else, and this was a great one for Gatchmon.

And then we get the brilliant appearance of Globemon, and instead of just giving us some cool fighting, the show decides to have a goddamned remake of the climax of Our War Game, and it's amazing. That's a way to have the next level of the hero's Digimon make an opening statement. It was without a doubt the best action segment of the show to date, and just one of the most exciting scenes I've seen in awhile. Just wow.

And then comes the ending kicker.
It was all for naught. DoGatchmon and Timemon becoming Globemon, stopping all of the Virusmon, and everything they did at the end? Meaningless, because Mienumon has still achieved her goal of having the L-OS gain worldwide domination. Now Leviathan has access to almost every smartphone in the entire world.
Where does the show go from here? If they can elevate to even higher levels, then it will be time to start putting it in the conversation for being one of the best Digimon seasons ever.

KraytarJ

Just watched the first season of konosuba. I gotta say that it didn't really feel like anything special. It was enjoyable and I had a smile on my face plenty of times, but I never burst out laughing like I've done with Gintama.

After all of the praise I expected more. But at least I'd call it a solid enough show where I'll watch a second season.
That's pretty much how I felt about season 1, and so far 2 has been a marked improvement for me. To the point that I'd say it's the standout of what's been a pretty alright season even with Rakugo's follow up in the mix.

KraytarJ

Owarimonogatari 3
Another stellar performance from Ougi, yet again she leads Araragi to the answer she wants him to see. Why she wants him to see all of this still remains to be seen. Then there's the ending where Hanekawa brings up a flaw in the story Ougi had Araragi believe, after he completely went with what Ougi said. At this point I just want Hanekawa and Ougi to interact in some way, not just because I love both those characters, because it'd be fascinating to see how they would play off of each other (a bit like how the conversation between Kaiki and Hanekawa in Hanekawa's hotel room was brilliant).

Branduil

In This Corner of the World

Wow that was really great. What a powerful film about humanity in the face of adversity. Definitely the best thing Katabuchi has done. The art direction is instantly charming, and you can't help but fall in love with Suzu-san. This is a true "slice-of-life" film, where it creates the feeling that you're inhabiting a real place and time, despite it being a cartoon. The affection you feel for these people only heightens the tension as you wait for horrible things to happen.
And just as in reality, tragedy happens when you least expect it.
2016 really was a red letter year for anime films.

I can't remember the last time I cried at the ending credits of a movie.

Pundere

Geez that fight was a lot more brutal than I expected. Senjogahara still doesn't have much competition for Best Girl status, but I'm assuming Class President will be getting some episodes later so who knows.

But before that we have to deal with the snake girl and her dumb frenchfry-looking hair, so onwards!

Szadek

Geez that fight was a lot more brutal than I expected. Senjogahara still doesn't have much competition for Best Girl status, but I'm assuming Class President will be getting some episodes later so who knows.

But before that we have to deal with the snake girl and her dumb frenchfry-looking hair, so onwards!
Hanekawa's arc is probably the best in Bake, but sadly the next arc is pretty weak.
At least it short and has a huge pay off in S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom