• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is ridiculous that theyll have little excuse to this line up. I cannot believe that throughout the whole universe they can't fight somebody to beat roshi, tien and krillin

Why not just put Yamcha in the fucking team

Joe Molotov

qmYX8V1.png

Fat Narag is my favorite Narag.

Ushio and Tora 26
55da5f57dd1c209696f52f1e48c09b51.jpg

Aside from the little too extreme change of heart from miss scientist this was a pretty great mini scientist arc. It succeeded in making me go from hate toward that lady scientist to liking and
pitying here final moments
. Bal-chan looked to sweet and kind so I'm happy he was saved.

As for Asako she redeemed herself well with these last 2 episodes.

I am wondering what bullshit reasons they will pull out to justify the 10 man team they put together. Let alone Android 17 and 18 be there, along with Tien and Krillin, but fucking Master Roshi?

I'm assuming Gods, Kais and Angels aren't allowed to participate and Goten and Trunks won't come because of their mothers.

Surprised they aren't bringing back Cell or some movie only villain so they can have a point man and some fanservice

I mean, 17 is on par with Piccollo, and 18 is only slightly below him, both are probably stronger then Goten and Trunks unfused, and fusion is probably not allowed. And I think people forget that even SSJ 1 level fighters are incredibly rare in U7 (and probably the rest as well). I mean, Freiza was high tier in U7 for the longest time, and the supreme Kais were astounded by base super saiyan in the Buu arc, and how easily they were able to take on the universe renowned fighters Babidi had gathered. I mean (ignoring filler characters like those from the movies),the only ones capable of getting around SSJ 1 level from u7 who weren't SSJs were Freiza, maybe Cold, Cell, Android's 16,17, and 18, Piccolo, Buu and Dabura. And All of the living from that group are competing for U7

Beyblade Episode 16

Really cheesy, Galux and Driger causing Mariah and Ray to basically be skating around the whole beyblade stage? Not what I signed up for. The ending line was even worst, I was smiling from how embarrassing it was.

I wanted Kevin to get a change.

Kenstar

Yep. The previous line uses some old expression for "fooling somebody" that also sounds like a rice dish. The kind of dish you season with the salt used in the final line to describe the color of the character's hair.
It's... yeah. Japanese pun. Apparently, not even Japanese people get that one anymore.

I wondered about that 2nd definition for gomashio
rwUJ1UN.jpg

So the Shinsengumi realizing how shit their reputation actually is with the general populace brings in the pop idol to serve as their Honorary Chief of the day in a PR move. This was probably the funniest episode of Gintama I've watched so far. Funniest gag was Gintoki as the groups new "Domestic Violence" mascot.

tumblr_inline_ohfu1ydg0P1qexkbl_500.jpg

Dororo 3

The jank is strong. There's some genuine attempts at building atmosphere, and some of it is effective, particularly with some of the aural aspects (the bell ringing, the footsteps in the water). But the clumsiness of the production really gets in the way of appreciating that. The worst "lipsyncing" I've ever seen, nonsensical "action" scenes, and barely any sense of space. In general there's such a strong feeling of constraint behind the extremely limited animation and static shot framing that it feels like the show is in a straitjacket. Since episode 2 was fairly effective at creating some compelling storytelling despite the production limitations I'm hopeful that future episodes can return to that, but mostly this is just making me appreciate the achievements of Dezaki on Ashita no Joe far more.

So the Shinsengumi realizing how shit their reputation actually is with the general populace brings in the pop idol to serve as their Honorary Chief of the day in a PR move. This was probably the funniest episode of Gintama I've watched so far. Funniest gag was Gintoki as the groups new "Domestic Violence" mascot.

tumblr_inline_ohfu1ydg0P1qexkbl_500.jpg

That gag is amazing

KraytarJ

Owarimonogatari 4
This might be the best single Monogatari episode yet. Every scene was so on point, perfect visuals and direction with immaculate dialogue. I was waiting for Hanekawa and Ougi to face off and I can honestly say it was everything I hoped for. Seeing someone as skilled in manipulation as Ougi converse with someone as perceptive as Hanekawa while Araragi just sat back hopelessly, trying to read the situation as best he could with what the other two were giving him, was just so damn enthralling. I know it's early but damn has Owari been homerun after homerun so far.

Moaradin

Owarimonogatari 4
This might be the best single Monogatari episode yet. Every scene was so on point, perfect visuals and direction with immaculate dialogue. I was waiting for Hanekawa and Ougi to face off and I can honestly say it was everything I hoped for. Seeing someone as skilled in manipulation as Ougi converse with someone as perceptive as Hanekawa while Araragi just sat back hopelessly, trying to read the situation as best he could with what the other two were giving him, was just so damn enthralling. I know it's early but damn has Owari been homerun after homerun so far.

And that isn't even the best face off in that season.

KraytarJ

And that isn't even the best face off in that season.
That seems hard to believe given it was a batifully tense face off between my two favourite characters, but that being said if there's one thing this series has done well it's been its ability to continue to raise the steaks and the quality level as it has gone on.

Owarimonogatari 5 & 6
Basically we learn Oikura is more similar to Hanekawa than she initially let on, then those similarities are ripped away after the quite dark revelation of the locked room resolution. Where Oikura and Hanekawa are both from terrible backgrounds and as a result they both put on fronts, Hanekawa's is to be proper and what she believes what others want of her while Oikura tries to say what happens to her isn't anything special just maybe a little worse than everyone else all the while needing Araragi to be her villain (as her parents alone won't be good enough for her). Additionally, where Hanekawa is hyper self-aware of what she is Oikura, like Araragi, is willing to look at reality and not see the truth, or at least what she needs to see for her own betterment. Then there's continuing adversarial relationship of Ougi and Hanekawa, leading Hanekawa to have a new, darker and perhaps even more fearful, perception of exactly who and what Ougi is after she comes to the realization of what exactly happened to Oikura's mother.

zulux21

I told you it was amazingly awesome!

Good news! Season 2 starts on March 25th, you wont have to wait long for more!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ac/25/3b/ac253b517447e662ac1959140df4e4a8.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

you shouldn't lie to people :/
MHA season 2 does not start on march 25th.
I mean that is what they originally announced so I get where you think that, but they also confirmed one important detail.

that episode will merely be a recap episode of season 1 :/

thus it doesn't start for real until april 1st.

Eylos

Banned
A little late, but last week episode

Gundam iron blood
wow, OK Gundam always had deaths, but this one is taking inspiration on game of thrones, i Felt bad for the cold murder of the girl :/

Cyanity

Banned
Re:Zero (Return to Zero)

A few people on twitter recommended this anime, so I binge watched all of season 1 over the past couple of days. I'm...unsure of how I feel about this show. It starts off strong enough, almost immediately thrusting the viewer into a fantastical world and dangling a good mystery just out of reach. Lots of generic anthropomorphic fantasy-fare background characters, although almost all of the main and supporting cast are humans, which was a tad disappointing. The story was okay, although I almost abandoned the show around the mid-season mark, as Subaru's actions were almost unbearably stupid. There was a point around episode 13ish where I was actually rooting for him to fail because of the stupid shit he needlessly got himself into. I'm kind of glad I stuck with it, though, because the plot picks up again in the latter third of the season.

One big problem though: Subaru seems to take his situation in total stride from episode 1, which doesn't seem like a very realistic reaction to being plucked out of one's universe at all. I know the creators were most likely going for the "Subaru had literally no life before Re:Zero" thing, but it isn't convincing. Subaru clearly doesn't give a flying frick about how or why he was suddenly transported to an alternate universe, and those looking for answers will most likely be disappointed by the end of season 1. Hopefully this stuff is addressed better in season 2.

There were some cool fights though.

I give it a decidedly okay/10, and will probably watch season 2 to see if Subaru starts giving a shit

Pundere

Yep, the Nadeko arc is a whole lot of nothing. Doesn't help that I'm biased towards disliking the 'you were nice to me once when we were kids so I'm in love with you' characters, but it's fairly obvious this is a lot of setup for something later on.

Speaking of later on, apparently Crunchyroll doesn't have episodes 13-15??? I get that they're OVAs but it's kinda fucked up that it just stops right in the middle if the arc like that. There doesn't seem to be any legal way to watch them online so I guess I'll try and find a dvd collection with the missing episodes for cheap.

Crab still best.

Jex

Yep, the Nadeko arc is a whole lot of nothing. Doesn't help that I'm biased towards disliking the 'you were nice to me once when we were kids so I'm in love with you' characters, but it's fairly obvious this is a lot of setup for something later on.

Speaking of later on, apparently Crunchyroll doesn't have episodes 13-15??? I get that they're OVAs but it's kinda fucked up that it just stops right in the middle if the arc like that. There doesn't seem to be any legal way to watch them online so I guess I'll try and find a dvd collection with the missing episodes for cheap.

Crab still best.

Didn't realise CR still didn't have the rights for these eps. Weird. The whole situation where OVA's that continue the series don't make their way onto legal streaming is very annoying. (Or, in the case of Fafner: Exodus, extended versions of episodes).

blurr

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 11-12 END

I am very glad the last episode was almost entirely on Tanaka and Shirashi's relationship, I really felt the show was running short on that during episode 11.

This show was damn good and I truly underestimated it after the first episode but then again, had I realized it earlier, I would've simply binged it as opposed to watching it at my own pace which is more fitting with its themes and style. It was a good dose of relaxing atmosphere and humor after a hard day's work every night or if I couldn't watch anything heavy. I found myself compelled to watch it over everything else in my backlog and airing shows, I was having such a good time with it.

Something I mentioned earlier but the show's strength is its character dynamics, especially when they contrast with Tanaka. It's very easy to empathise with almost every character that gets introduced, all the more amusing when they interact with Tanaka. Some of the supporting characters don't get much screen time beyond a single episode or a few moments in select episodes which would've been fine but it feels like wasted potential by the end when they don't make an appearance again. I subconsciously assumed there would be a picnic episode with every character during the OP. There is one character I found odd in the sense that she appears in a couple of episodes as a part time worker with somewhat of a significant role but she is ultimately only present as a means to relay humor or morals. That would've been fine but the gags that surrounder her gave enough of an impression to warrant a personality along with a role in the show. This is also weird knowing that some of the cast in the show don't have enough screen time(Shimura gang and Shirashi's friends) that they made the effort to bring in a no name character for those gags. There's an odd spread of characters interactions and roles through out the episodes, perphaps if there's ever a season 2 we might get to see them more or if it's relevant to the source material. As it stands, it feels odd by the end of it.

I can heartily recommend this show for every one looking for good comedy in the same vein as Non Non Biyori.

(I have to read up on the staff for this and dig out their other shows).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ao no Exorcist Season 2 Episode 6

The first legitimately decent episode of the season.

Man, having a pact with a demon that requires you to lie fucking sucks.

Ugh I want to watch the next episode now. Maybe I should fall back on reading the manga. Question is whether I start at the beginning or where we are now.

phaze

Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge 12

This show is still friggin weird. I've severe doubts whether the Nino plotline can be resolved in the last episode, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it was the very endgame of the series and as such, no chance of seeing the denouement here which would only make the earlier laid out breadcrumbs frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom