• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty lost interest in this season for now aside from Tiger Mask W, Konosuba and the Tuesday shows. I intend to come back around after I indulge in some older stuff, pay my Aikatsu lifedebt off to 🐾(also known as the poster formerly known as ZachDeKoromaru), and finish some writing side projects.

Thinking these are the shows I should keep in mind:
  • Youjo Senki
  • Rakugo
  • Dragon Maid
  • Scum's Wish

Am i missing anything?

Prioritize Rakugo and watch Scum's Wish and Dragon Maid when you have time. You should catch up on Tiger Mask.

Alrighty lost interest in this season for now aside from Tiger Mask W, Konosuba and the Tuesday shows. I intend to come back around after I indulge in some older stuff, pay my Aikatsu lifedebt off to 🐾(also known as the poster formerly known as ZachDeKoromaru), and finish some writing side projects.

• Youjo Senki
  • Rakugo
  • Dragon Maid
  • Scum's Wish

Am i missing anything?

Rakugo Shinjuu, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, and Scum's Wish are the seasonal shows I can personally endorse, so you look good from here.

Narag

Prioritize Rakugo and watch Scum's Wish and Dragon Maid when you have time. You should catch up on Tiger Mask.

Tiger Mask W catchup is penciled in for Saturday!

Rakugo Shinjuu, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, and Scum's Wish are the seasonal shows I can personally endorse, so you look good from here.

Good to hear! Feels easier to dump titles in a google doc now that's easier to refer to later rather than asking what was worth watching 9 months ago.

Thud

You know Josuke, we really are the Diamond is Unbreakable

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Hmm looks like I'm watching some "new anime" next season. Attack on Titan S2, Berserk (2017) and Atom: the beginning.

I'm hoping AoT pulls me back into the manga and I can watch Berserk so nobody else has to do it. It will be bad, but at least Schierke and Puck can provide entertainment.

Cowboy Bebop, Scum's Wish, and Your Name.

Busy, busy anime weekend. :p

9/10 is rather generous for a film even the director says is shit! Stop watching it!

(Looooooooool)

I find it funny since it's clearly one of his better films. Much better than 5 Centimeters per Second.

duckroll

You know I always liked 5cm. It's the only Shinkai work before Your Name which I actually enjoyed. Why do people take issue with it? Is it just the ending? Because that's life.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You know I always liked 5cm. It's the only Shinkai work before Your Name which I actually enjoyed. Why do people take issue with it? Is it just the ending? Because that's life.

Life is a bad pop song no one remembers?

See... It's funny because I feel people are always praising it. Had people on Twitter even respond telling me how wrong I was about it.

I understand what it's about. I understand what he was going for. I understand it was raw and real. But I think I detailed pretty well in my Your Name post why I don't like it.

And plus I am too much of a romantic.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 38 – Evil Eye Activates. Relinquished

One of the most distracting things in this is hearing it called Sacrfice or Time Bomber, yet the subs say Relinquished or Time Bomber, its even more distracting when they use a whole string of english (Relinquished and Black Magician). I wonder what was Konami thinking in some of these naming choices.

Im glad were done with the mind shuffling, Im ready for some pure unadulturated dueling without any of these parlor tricks.

Good to hear! Feels easier to dump titles in a google doc now that's easier to refer to later rather than asking what was worth watching 9 months ago.

Agreed. That's why I've kept yearly text documents since 2013 in which I keep track of any anime that looks interesting enough for me to check out sometime.

You? Really?

Nahhhh

giphy.gif

Handshakers: Episode 1

I only made it 7 minutes before I had to stop. This is one of the most hideous and needlessly busy looking shows I've ever looked at.

Hideous? But it makes JPN look so good and make me want to actually go there, the city and school looks so wonderful.

And the attacks with Break and Bind were so awesome. You should have kept going as some of the best moments are still in Episode 1.

• Youjo Senki
  • Rakugo
  • Dragon Maid
  • Scum's Wish

Am i missing anything?
Tales of Zestiria the X and Blue exorcist kyoto arc are both really good.

Quasar

I find it funny since it's clearly one of his better films. Much better than 5 Centimeters per Second.

His complaint seems to be people in japan just keep rewatching it rather than watching other stuff.

Me...I liked it quite a lot. I'm not sure its my favourite of his films though. I keep coming back to Garden. I basically like all his films though, he's my favourite anime film-maker. Has been for a while.

Yep, this is much more likely. Since Funimation is Crunchyroll's distributor for home video, there's a good chance we'll finally see the first wave of Crunchyroll's releases tomorrow, including Free S1. I wonder what else Funimation has in store for May?

What makes you believe we will get to see more then a Free! s1 announcement tomorrow?

Haly

What was the point of the chase if the courtyard isn't sealed off at all, and is actually open to the forest? It's like entering a door suspended erected on the ground without any walls around it because it's a door????

And, as some of you may know from all the things I've watched, I don't mind
"sad" or depressing endings
. Hell, sometimes I actively seek out shows and movies that have that. 5 Centimeters was a frustrating watch by the end. I see where he was going with it in the first act. There was a moment of
"This is going to end badly." By the second act I was aware things wouldn't go well for the male main character. I was okay with where it was going with it. The third act was where I got frustrated with it. See, I understand the duality of the lives between these two childhood sweethearts turned sour. The problem is in the process of heavy-handedly telling the audience that sometimes things don't work out and we must move on, the main character was left behind not hearing or learning the lesson/theme/message.
I've heard some people say they cried to the ending but I've always failed to see why.

This accurately describe why 5 Centimeters Per Second didn't grab me. Instead of making me empathize with the main character, it feels like a cautionary tale instead.
Maybe that smile at the end is a sign of him finally letting go, but that is too little too late

Though I have to admit I would not be as deeply invested in Your Name's resolution were it not watched for that movie.
If it was any other writer I would just be "of course they'd meet each other". Instead I was holding hands with my friend going all "no no don't you dare do what you do, Shinkai".

Scum's Wish 2

What... The actual fuck... Is wrong with the people in this show?

This is like Toradora, just with a bunch of ecchi tendencies.

God... This show is so messed up.

His complaint seems to be people in japan just keep rewatching it rather than watching other stuff.

Me...I liked it quite a lot. I'm not sure its my favourite of his films though. I keep coming back to Garden. I basically like all his films though, he's my favourite anime film-maker. Has been for a while.

I really like Garden a lot too. Maybe the movie will come down the list as I have more time to ponder on it. I did like the movie a lot though. Maybe it's because I had high expectations of Garden of Words, but had middling expectations for Your Name.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (Subtitled) Episode 68 – Versus Edo (Part 2) Flare Neos of Fire
C4l1a3KXAAAxqKe.jpg:small

Perfect episode set for the return of Juudai to society. Edo also grew on me extensively through this whole duel. I hope he continues to have some type of presence. Best duel for Juudai since his Manjoume ones.

Haly

LWA: Bad
3gatsu: Good
Tanya: Fascist
Interviews: Dull
Konosuba: Funny
Rakugo: I'm getting kind of bored of this, actually. 3rd generation is no match for 2nd generation.
Scum's Wish: AOTY

I'm more interested in how Tohru's tail works in her human form than the entirety of LWA.

This accurately describe why 5 Centimeters Per Second didn't grab me. Instead of making me empathize with the main character, it feels like a cautionary tale instead.
Maybe that smile at the end is a sign of him finally letting go, but that is too little too late

Though I have to admit I would not be as deeply invested in Your Name's resolution had I not watched 5 cm beforehand.
If it was any other writer I would just be "of course they'd meet each other". Instead I was holding hands with my friend going all "no no don't you dare do what you do, Shinkai".

Yeah. Exactly.

Hahaha. I was saying that towards the end of Your Name, too.
My roommate towards the end was like "Stop. Recommending. Me stuff like this!" I told him it's not my fault. A few seconds before they turned and started talking to each other at the end we were like, "Shinki...you motherf-----!"

dey wanna fuk

Oh high school...

Quasar

Scum's Wish 2

What... The actual fuck... Is wrong with the people in this show?

This is like Toradora, just with a bunch of ecchi tendencies.

God... This show is so messed up.

It makes me think of White Album 2 for some reason.

I really like Garden a lot too. Maybe the movie will come down the list as I have more time to ponder on it. I did like the movie a lot though. Maybe it's because I had high expectations of Garden of Words, but had middling expectations for Your Name.

So did you notice the crossover with Garden?

One Punch Man - FINISHED

That was amazing, though it seemed to taper off a bit towards the end. The true brilliance of the show was Genos and Saitama, and how they played off of each other. I loved their relationship, and hope we get to see much more of it in the future. What I didn't enjoy towards the end of the first season was the introduction of all these new heroes. None were particularly interesting to me, or at least not interesting enough to take screentime away from my main man Genos and Saitama. I was also a little bummed the first season ends with almost everyone thinking Saitama is a scrub. I'm drooling at the mouth waiting for the moment that must surely come, when Saitama shows off his prowess in front of other S-Class heroes.

Jintor

One Punch Man - FINISHED

That was amazing, though it seemed to taper off a bit towards the end. The true brilliance of the show was Genos and Saitama, and how they played off of each other. I loved their relationship, and hope we get to see much more of it in the future. What I didn't enjoy towards the end of the first season was the introduction of all these new heroes. None were particularly interesting to me, or at least not interesting enough to take screentime away from my main man Genos and Saitama. I was also a little bummed the first season ends with almost everyone thinking Saitama is a scrub. I'm drooling at the mouth waiting for the moment that must surely come, when Saitama shows off his prowess in front of other S-Class heroes.

If he did that the primary joke of the series would be ruined

So did you notice the crossover with Garden?

White Album, huh? I have that in my queue but never started it...

Ummm... I don't recall seeing one. But than again, I wasn't really focusing on the call outs his other movies. When I get the movie on Blu-Ray I'll give it another look.

I think I need to start watching Scum's Wish.

I don't know if I can recommend it...

I don't think I can't recommend it either...

It's just...different.

One Punch Man - FINISHED

I wonder how they'll pace the second season. The manga started to draw out the few villains and battles that came afterwards. Not surprising, when there's only so much you can do with the one-punch-line but when Saitama becomes a smaller part I consider that a detriment.

Btw., have you seen Mob Psycho 100 yet? Highly recommended here and even won our 2016 AotY award.

Cornbread78

I think I need to start watching Scum's Wish.

Yes, yes you should. Just beware there is a lot of ecchi, the characters are all fucked in the head and the main antagonist is as evil of a bitch as you can get. Also, the show can make you feel very uncomfortable with everything that happens and its presentation.

Fuuka shares a lot with White Album 2 from what I've seen already. Although they won't make it to graduation, lol.

Death Parade ep.6
Well, those are seriously fucked up ways to die. At least the post credits scene was pretty damn funny stuff.

zulux21

I took issue with it because it was what the third or 4th time that he merely extended the formula to Voices of a Distant Star to far longer than it needed to be *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom