• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I definitely can understand the positives that you've found, but to me the negatives really weigh it down. It's quite upsetting. Though as I said, there's far worse in terms of the treatment of LGBT characters in Japanese media.

As for your question,
it's a very interesting one! I'm not sure if the idea itself really pans out though; would I still be ME if I was born a different sex? Even putting aside obvious genetic differences, I would inevitably have different experiences. Are you still yourself after so much changes? Steins;Gate assumes the answer is yes, so I'll have to jump off from there.

Ruka chose to do it, and if it makes them more comfortable with their body, then I think that's fine. It would erase any struggles they had as a result of their dysphoria, which could be drastic enough to make them a different person, but if they understood and chose that, then I see no problem. Personally I feel that if this application of time travel were real, it would fundamentally change who that person is, so I don't know if I would take the same deal.
Having just finished the VN for the first time, that stuff is like 100x worse in the game.

KraytarJ

Having just finished the VN for the first time, that stuff is like 100x worse in the game.
I finished the VN about a month ago and while I loved most of it the Luka stuff was pretty rough at points. After finishing it I have a slightly more positive look on how her character was handled but idk the whole reason Luka wants to be a girl is a little disconcerting tbh. It's tough; especially for Japanese works that tend to handle things like this for comedy, which Luka definitely was at points.

Clov

Yeah, it's pretty bad there as well. Some questionable translation choices there too. I can only hope that the industry will adapt some more LGBT positive material in the future, because we really don't need the same old tired and hurtful portrayals again and again.

KraytarJ

Owarimonogatari 7-12
I wouldn't say the second half lived up to the first for me but that was to be expected when Ougi and Hanekawa were replaced by Shinobu and Kanbaru.
Overall:
1. Seeing Shinobu and Araragi develop in their weird relationship was the standout, with the development of Shinobu confronting her past and Araragi coming into his own person adding to their growth together.
2. That was peak Kanbaru, weirdly enough considering she had her own arc and yet she was at her most entertaining and interesting here.
3. It was a little scene but the phone conversation between Araragi and Senjougahara was lovely.
4. Then of course Ougi's parting words left a lot open for whenever the rest of the book gets adapted.
Edit: The Kanbaru/Shinobu scene at the shrine was great too, for me the first Hanekawa/Ougi scene is still the standout of the series for me but that scene between two characters I haven't rated very highly in the past still affected me more than I expected.

Line_HTX

Hajimete no Gal TV visual.

C4muHo-VMAArPJJ.png

@haji_GAL went up almost an hour ago. I'm digging this Mika Galko fusion, haha

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
how will I understand women without Galko's teachings?

sonicmj1

Someone give me the elevator pitch for Galko-chan.

A short anime where high school girls slightly more complex than their images suggest have frank discussions about adolescent girl problems. Actually treats its characters with a decent amount of respect.

Mailbox

Hey, get this...

Amazon canada finally updated Scum's wish episode 5 with more subtitles. French, Italian, Spanish, etc.

just 1 rather striking omission, though... English.

Come on, amazon canada wtf is this?!

hajimete no gal's manga is fucking terrible and gives a bad name to gyaru

fair warning

Its fairly simplistic and kinda dumb, but i've read worse. I wouldn't give it the moniker of "fucking terrible".

Qurupeke

LWA: Bad
3gatsu: Good
Tanya: Fascist
Interviews: Dull
Konosuba: Funny
Rakugo: I'm getting kind of bored of this, actually. 3rd generation is no match for 2nd generation.
Scum's Wish: AOTY

I'm more interested in how Tohru's tail works in her human form than the entirety of LWA.

This is the most accurate GAF post this year.

TheChaos0

Showa Rakugo Ep 8

I'm surprised by how cold Bon is to Miyokichi. What gives? Was he just tolerating her company all this time?

Kuroko's Basketball

Watching this after Haikyu has disappointed me as much as the time I watched Fairy Tail after finishing Hunter x Hunter. My biggest gripe is definitely the ridiculous plays, I prefer the somewhat grounded style of Haikyu where they do some high level stuff but it's not completely ridiculous. An invisible guy roaming the court is just.. eh. Gonna drop this and watch Ippo instead.

Kuroko is like Dragon Ball, Haikyuu is more grounded and Yowamushi is somewhere in between.

HE'S IN THE ZOOONNENNNENENENENENENENENN! WHAIOAHOAHOAOHAOHAOAOAHOAHOOAHA. WHat a play!!!!

It's really enjoyable in it's own right but it's definitely Dragon no Baske Z.

I'd imagine coming straight from Haikyuu must be really jarring.

/XX/

One of the most amazing things about In This Corner of the World (also having earned already over 2 billion JPY at the domestic box office) is the renewed interest for anything related to director Sunao Katabuchi, with his film Mai Mai Miracle and its number of DVD rents at TSUTAYA stores increasing nine-fold in such a short span after his latest film premiered:

映画賞総なめ!『この世界の片隅に』の勢いが止まらない!片渕須直監督作品『マイマイ新子と千年の魔法』DVDレンタル回数が半年で約9倍に急増!|TSUTAYAのプレスリリース
https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000215.000018760.html

Maybe, after all the penurious ways of attaining measly budgets for his projects (that he described on his personal WEB ANIMESTYLE column; http://animestyle.jp/column/1300/), now the time has come for Mr. Katabuchi to be a household name!

Hayate the Combat Butler! 01-05

I was never aware this meme/image was from this show in fact I thought it was a photoshop. As for the show itself, holy shit how have I missed this? I am absolutely in love with the show and the type of humor it uses. The forth wall breaking and the narrator are a joy so far. Nagi didn't turn out to be the unlikable tsundere I assumed she was going to be and that is a huge plus.

zulux21

I was never aware this meme/image was from this show in fact I thought it was a photoshop. As for the show itself, holy shit how have I missed this? I am absolutely in love with the show and the type of humor it uses. The forth wall breaking and the narrator are a joy so far. Nagi didn't turn out to be the unlikable tsundere I assumed she was going to be and that is a huge plus.

are you watching the censored or uncensored version?

censored version - bleeps out the parodies.
uncensored version - says what all the parodies are to.

I can't recall if the uncensored verison was strictly done in fansubs or if it was a bonus on the dvd release in japan.

I personally find it fun to try to guess the parodies but it was also nice to be able to be told what they were when I couldn't figure it out.

TheChaos0

Were any of Rie Kugimiya's tsunderes annoying? ;)

Qurupeke

The Eccentric Family 3-8

I have to say, for such a goofy premise, the tanuki father's story got pretty heavy. I think this is exactly the reason I enjoy this show though. It blends fantasies, over the top family feuds and funny quirks with good character who actually have much more depth than I thought. Episode 8 was just beautiful.

Clov

Well, that's bizarre. Why don't they want foreigners buying thier stuff? Seems like perfectly good money they're letting go of.

Yeah, I just got that e-mail as well. Sure was nice to be able to import my WUG and PriPara CDs...

I'm glad that I'm not the only Pripara fan here! Nobody else in my circle of friends watches it. It's such a fun, silly show though.

There must be something broken in me that I found The Eccentric Family okay but nothing great when it's specifically the epitome of what I talk about with regards to subtle and subdued SoL that has strong character interaction, characterization/building and heavier themes and ideas below the surface. I dunno if you can even categorize it as SoL, I'd probably say it's more akin to a straight drama that is played very softly.

Maybe I watched it at a bad time or was distracted by something. I should watch it again when I'm better settled to see if it grips me any better.

blurr

Hajimete no Gal TV visual.

C4muHo-VMAArPJJ.png

@haji_GAL went up almost an hour ago. I'm digging this Mika Galko fusion, haha

NICE.

OPM is strong as an exotic display of power and ocassional humor, beyond that it won't engage you much.

Murata's illustrations do a fantastic job in relaying the strengths of OPM.

phaze

Fafner Exodus 07

:nintendoman too stronk.
But the mother is dead, right ?

It's a shame those that those who don't subscribe to operation "let's talk it out with aliens that butchered billions of us and still continue to do that , through the agency of <10 year old kids to boot" are shown only in this baleful, ill-intentioned light. I'd root for them in earnest if that wasn't so !

blurr

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 03-04

I almost joked to myself that she will move to a new place - wow. I guess she was on rent and has money to spare.

I honestly was looking forward to Saikawa and Kanna. I bursted out laughing when I saw Kanna crying when Saikawa challenges her.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 03-04

I almost joked to myself that she will move to a new place - wow. I guess she was on rent and has money to spare.

I honestly was looking forward to Saikawa and Kanna. I bursted out laughing when I saw Kanna crying when Saikawa challenges her.

Played Saikawa like a goddam fiddle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom