• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Akiba's Trip - 01

21-we-have-to-go-back8is2i.jpg

My life lacked the delicious trashiness of a Gonzo production for too long.
RGZ staff boiiiii.

Ao no Exorcist: Hey We're Going Back to Manga Canon - 01

Man, I really did kinda miss the cast. Also a stark reminder that Blue Exorcist, imo, had once so much potential to break out but the author really didn't manage to maintain the story's momentum post-Kyoto.

Jarmel

Banned
So a big talking point this season will be about how atrocious the character designs for Youjo Senki are and I briefly want to talk about it, partially because I have a differing opinion on this to a slight extent. I think Tanya looks fine, actually sort of good, from a character design aspect. I do prefer the LN designs but there is no world where the designs could look like that and be animated well.
She doesn't look anywhere near as bad as those atrocious magazine scans and key visuals would indicate. I have no clue what the fuck was going on there nor why nobody stepped in. Tanya in the anime does stick out from the rest of the subcast from a design perspective as the generals and soldiers are depicted as regular WWI grunts while she's designed to look cute and like a little girl. There is a sort of dichotomy but it's obviously intentional and serves to make her striking compared to everybody else. This is probably the worst she looks due to whoever was the animator not drawing regular curved lines for her lips:
The problem isn't with Tanya. It's with Visha (I had to just look her name up now). Visha is the one who looks absolutely fucking terrible. It's like Yuji Hosogoe, the character designer, did Tanya's design first and tried to make Visha in a similar style but completely failed. While both characters have large eyes, the shape of Visha's make her look dopey and alien.
The eyelashes look stupid and upside down. Also due to the shape of VIsha's eyes, the whites in the scelera are more prominent. Not to mention she doesn't have clearly defined pupils like Tanya. It's not just the eyes too.
LTQ0tVM.png
rXFP3tY.png

Side profiles of Visha and Tanya for comparison.
The lips don't work nearly as well as they do on Tanya, partially due to the eye design. Visha's design goes beyond distracting. It's worthy of being put into the pantheon of legendary shitty CDs Hall of Fame, alongside whoever did those damn Alderamin designs. It's a shame too as the rest of the designs are fine, even if they're a little boring.

Narag

She is but for all the wrong reasons. Wanted to watch more just to see what other strange expressions she'd make.

So a big talking point this season will be about how atrocious the character designs for Youjo Senki are and I briefly want to talk about it, partially because I have a differing opinion on this to a slight extent. I think Tanya looks fine, actually sort of good, from a character design aspect. I do prefer the LN designs but there is no world where the designs could look like that and be animated well.

She doesn't look anywhere near as bad as those atrocious magazine scans and key visuals would indicate. I have no clue what the fuck was going on there nor why nobody stepped in. Tanya in the anime does stick out from the rest of the subcast from a design perspective as the generals and soldiers are depicted as regular WWI grunts while she's designed to look cute and like a little girl. There is a sort of dichotomy but it's obviously intentional and serves to make her striking compared to everybody else. This is probably the worst she looks due to whoever was the animator not drawing regular curved lines for her lips:

The problem isn't with Tanya. It's with Visha (I had to just look her name up now). Visha is the one who looks absolutely fucking terrible. It's like Yuji Hosogoe, the character designer, did Tanya's design first and tried to make Visha in a similar style but completely failed. While both characters have large eyes, the shape of Visha's make her look dopey and alien.

The eyelashes look stupid and upside down. Also due to the shape of VIsha's eyes, the whites in the scelera are more prominent. Not to mention she doesn't have clearly defined pupils like Tanya. It's not just the eyes too.

The lips don't work nearly as well as they do on Tanya, partially due to the eye design. Visha's design goes beyond distracting. It's worthy of being put into the pantheon of legendary shitty CDs Hall of Fame, alongside whoever did those damn Alderamin designs. It's a shame too as the rest of the designs are fine, even if they're a little boring.

Should've done the lips like Your Lie in April.

Most don't portray them as shit parents, except for Hunter x Hunter.

Ging is talked up to be this legendary hunter, but really he's just a huge asshole and pretty much nobody likes him but he's also a really good hunter

all I know is that Aang from avatar grew up to be a shit dad

Goku grew up to be a shit dad

and Naruto grew up to be a shit dad

Moral of the story is if you have big responsibilities you're a shit dad

Peco

Don't know if this was mentioned but Akiba's Trip reunites Nagaku Yuki, Kouno Marika and Takahashi Rie as the main heroines and they even perform the opening as Earphones, the unit they formed in Sore ga Seiyuu. :D

Sterok

Schoolgirl Strikers 1

Even if I didn't know before hand, I think I could've guessed that this was a phone game. Tons of generic moeblobs fighting generic monsters in a generic school. No interesting characters, and the fights are lackluster. Probably not going to be worth a watch.

Gurren Lagann - 04

It's almost as if the show knew that I stopped watching months ago and gave me a neat little recap at the start.

Oh and... What the flying fuck happened to the visuals?!?!?! I remember the first 3 episodes being gorgeous. This episode is janky af.

Puruzi

Banned
Gurren Lagann - 04

It's almost as if the show knew that I stopped watching months ago and gave me a neat little recap at the start.

Oh and... What the flying fuck happened to the visuals?!?!?! I remember the first 3 episodes being gorgeous. This episode is janky af.

It's just this episode.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 10

Great ep. Not ep 4 tier but the Mister Question match worked well in it's own right. The best touch was Fukuwara Mask pulling up a chair and joining the announcer's table to give his expert opinion on the mystical art of yoga. It bolstered the verisimilitude of the premise and as such it felt less like watching wrestling anime and more like actual wrestling.

Gurren Lagann - 04

Ah yes...

This episode...

Gurren Lagann - 04

This episode looked so bad, the co-founder of Gainax actually quit because of the comments. Or so I've heard, anyway.

The fantastic visuals return the next episode, thankfully.

But more importantly: AAAAAHHHH YOU'RE FINALLY WATCHING THIS AGAIN AAAAAAHHHHHH.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Schoolgirl Strikers Episode 1:

I literally fell asleep watching this, twice, dropped until I need a good nap.

It's just this episode.

Ah yes...

This episode...

This episode looked so bad, the co-founder of Gainax actually quit because of the comments. Or so I've heard, anyway.

The fantastic visuals return the next episode, thankfully.

But more importantly: AAAAAHHHH YOU'RE FINALLY WATCHING THIS AGAIN AAAAAAHHHHHH.

Phew. This is honestly pretty damn terrible. Like there is bad, and this is right below it. Animation missing frames, characters talking when their mouths are shut, heck I even spotted hand scribbles that weren't cleaned up on a bunch of character close-ups. W.e the fuck happened this week must have been real bad.

Also I low-key was expecting this reaction from you ninty ahaha.

Love Live S1 - 01

So the school is in danger of getting closed down and only a school club activity can prevent it. What is that? Girls und Panzer?

But it already looks like fate picked a good girl for me. Umi da!

Jintor

Continuing on:

Toradora 12 -rewatch-

Taiga, despite her reservations, still wants to impress her old man, or has at least resigned herself to trying for Ryuuji's sake, yet Ryuuji is still arguing for him. Apparent domestic bliss. (Also a nice scene of the two of them talking casually via their windows, which is nice).

Notably Ryuuji can't get this dumb grin off his face for this whole segment - he's so happy to see a family relationship apparently on-track to repair itself. That won't last.

J4rwXOp.png

Perhaps the first time we ever see Minorin actually angry

This bit's probably the weakest part of the episode, because Minorin knows what's going on but inexplicably doesn't just tell Ryuuji outright - she just says that Taiga's dad is an unmitigated sack of crap.

5HFJSMJ.png

Unlike you, Ryuuji!

Unfortunately her phrasing leads Ryuuji to conclude that Minorin thinks that he is just standing by while dad comes back to ruin Taiga's life, and when he reveals that he met the dad and didn't see through him Minorin gets super pissed. This actually infuriates him enough to yell at his crush, Minorin, meaning his concerns about Taiga override his crush (which has begun to settle down in any event). Unfortunately, it's still misplaced.

Ami goes to get Ryuuji back and give him some quick life advice. Even though this arc isn't really about Ami really, it is about who she's changed into, and showing that she's probably the most adult of the five of them. The show basically just calls it out right there so you can't really miss it.

FocIYml.jpg

I still don't really get the significance of the spot between the vending machines making her feel comfortable though. Perhaps it's where she can be more true to herself?

Ami also tells Ryuuji straight up that she'll walk the same path as him, just a few steps ahead, contrasting herself with Minori and Taiga. As good a confession as any - well shot and well directed.

Ya-chan does her usual thing of showing up to dump plot points on Ryuuji and offer her opinion (usually accurate), which is that Taiga's dad is a selfish prick and stealing Taiga from them. Ryuuji feels persecuted, but some of her words sneak through anyway.

RxCVTMC.png

Seriously basically everybody but Ryuuji and Taiga know from, like, episode two how this is going to end

Taiga shows up and tells Ryuuji to apologise to Minorin, saying it's not about right and wrong - even now she's still trying to work on his behalf. Anyway, the day of the culture festival arrives:

A68DNxi.jpg

WdjpSVg.jpg

1WwaTbq.png

They really like to crap on the teacher. Poor sensei.

Behind the scenes Taiga frets because her dad doesn't show up, some comedy with the teachers and class, and honestly having watched a lot more wrestling (and shitty Japanese quiz shows) since I watched this, their pro wrestling show is actually quite funny (partially in how amateur it is).

N9jmCm8.png

Need more wrestle heroines

After the show Ryuuji still can't apologise to Minorin and Taiga still has no messages, some brief flirting. Kitamura does a bit of accidental flirting, but even that can't distract from Taiga's worries and fears. Cut to the end of the shows and Taiga still hasn't heard so much as a peep from her old man. The show cuts into high budget for a panning shot of Taiga's face as Ryuuji says "she never got to play the lead"

1KYPYf9.jpg

The contrast between the class's jubilation and Taiga's churning emotions is obvious

It's clear that despite Taiga's posturing she still does want, in some ways, for her dad to come back to her. It's also clear that he's a fucking total piece of shit.

Jintor

Love Live S1 - 01

So the school is in danger of getting closed down and only a school club activity can prevent it. What is that? Girls und Panzer?

But it already looks like fate picked a good girl for me. Umi da!

I actually want a girlpan/lovelive crossover bad.

Phew. This is honestly pretty damn terrible. Like there is bad, and this is right below it. Animation missing frames, characters talking when their mouths are shut, heck I even spotted hand scribbles that weren't cleaned up on a bunch of character close-ups. W.e the fuck happened this week must have been real bad.

Also I low-key was expecting this reaction from you ninty ahaha.

Had the biggest grin on my face when I saw your post. :)

Make sure to watch the uncut version of episode 6!

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Next Episode 7 engdub
C1iS0cuW8AAHovf.jpg:small
C1iTNxFWgAAL_ly.jpg:small

Miguel Torres joins as a new duelist on Tokoha and Jaime Alcarez's potential team. His deck of musketeers manages to differentiate itself among the numerous other decks we have. Im glad its not another paladin user or kagerou user. In any case I also like how clumsy he is outside of this.

Best card was easily Gentian Musketeer, Antero .

Schoolgirl Strikers Episode 1:

I literally fell asleep watching this, twice, dropped until I need a good nap.

Yeah, wife and I watched this and that new bicycling anime back to back. Good god we both nearly fell asleep. Thank god we had Rakugo at the end to bring us out of our comas.

Like, neither Schoolgirl or the biking one is bad, they're both inoffensive, but incredibly boring.

Guess Who

Banned
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2E1

Very unfair to the rest of the industry that the AOTY premieres right at the start of January.

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu 01

Actually teaching the viewers about bikes even moreso than the other shows? All other bikes shows you have been put on notice. Aside from that there's a certain atmosphere here that I didn't feel in the other bikes shows. Certainly sticking with this.

Just T

Ajin: 21-22

The newer opening is a little better than the previous. First opening still the best.

Satou still seemingly one step ahead of everyone and pulling off surprises. Episodes were pretty tense especially in the latter, unexpected actions from both Kei and Tosaki.

kewlmyc

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 Ep 1

Holy 10 year timeskip. This looks like its going to have an even bigger downer ending that last season. Can't wait.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 1:
Just as good as ever. That recap was incredible. The show still looks great, and the character stuff was on point this episode. Can't wait to see some great rakugo performances.

Wait, didn't Konatsu say she was gonna have the baby before the 10 years?

The 10 year timeskip was prior to the end of last season, although they didn't mention the exact amount of time then. The part of the finale that went back to Yotaro and Konatsu was 10 years after the start of Yakumo's story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seiren - 01

In my veins. This isn't Amagami, but it's almost as if it was.
Not Amagami - Episode 1

Liked Amagami, but not really feeling this. Pacing was kinda weird and fast, but that comes with having only 4 episodes per heroine.

MC could possibly be better than Junichi, but that is not much of a challenge with how bland he was. Hope this will be at least decent.
Jesus, this thing really is another Amagami. Moreso than PhotoKano. lol

Saprol

is this a way to cut costs by reusing costume/environment design like replacing everyone in www working

That's explicitly what they set out to make and have marketed it as, it's not some surprise. I think it may even take place in the same universe.

the MC's friend is the younger brother of one of the amagami cast

Jintor

Toradora 13 -rewatch-

We start with everyone prepping Taiga for the pageant, Ami - in a rare act of intimacy - doing Taiga's makeup. She immediately intuits that Taiga's dad isn't coming, but Taiga denies that she's worried and offers a lame excuse. Ami even offers to change Taiga's intro to save her from embarrassment - an act of kindness if there ever was one - but Taiga stubbornly refuses. Oddly enough it seems to have been something the two of them cooked up between themselves - Ryuuji isn't even a part of it.

0vBTUiL.jpg

Ryuuji has a difficult time convincing himself of the reliability of Taiga's dad, and consequentially of the correctness of his actions. But he's literally in the dark here.

Time for the pageant. Ami turns up baaaaasically in bondage gear. An odd choice but okay.

iGxuGXK.png

"Shut up you worthless pigs in human clothing!"

Seems like Ami really enjoys hamming it up by being able to switch between her bitch and sweet personality in front of everyone but getting to play it off as a laugh.

And then... we hit the crux.

dXbMekP.png

We hear VO of Taiga's dad cheerfully reading off the message in his laconic, happy-go-lucky style - the crux of which is "Yeah tell Taiga I bailed on her whole thing kthnxbai"

The music switches to a haunting piano melody as we flash between several quick shots of the crowd, with heavily reduced audio, seeming otherworldly. Ryuuji's in shock, shutting out everything but himself and the text. Not only is Taiga's dad basically abandoning her, not just for the festival but for the entire reconciliation, but he can't even really be bothered to explain himself - and especially not directly to her. "Some stuff has come up, so we won't be able to live together" is as close as he gets.

Ryuuji's self-delusions shatter as we montage through his bad decisions, him trying to convince himself of the rightness of his actions and literally every other character with a viewpoint warning him otherwise, and as his mind reels Taiga's own self-induced trap springs.

EGd9cwJ.jpg

A blunt metaphor but effective; Taiga is the 'angel' of this arc, but you know she's not even living in hope right now, not really.

Taiga's appearance stuns the crowd. Ami has her doubts about Taiga's father...

IEnHl30.jpg

Ami doesn't know if she's making a good or bad decision here, but ultimately decides that if Taiga wants it, she'll help her out - whatever her private thoughts on the outcome.

but cedes to Taiga's decision and starts the line. Ryuuji realises about the intro only at this moment as Ami calls for Taiga's dad to give her a shout-out.

Dead. Fucking. Silence.

Taiga walks off stage and trips, gets pissed, and freaks out at the crowd for a bit. Ryuuji and Minorin do the traditional 'slow clap to stir on the crowd' which works, as with the assistance of a quick bit, she goes on to win the contest. Yet, somehow, there's no real catharsis here yet.

tXVj4LS.png

Minorin is pissed at Taiga's dad, it's true, but I think she's much more pissed at herself - because she ran away from the situation, she didn't do anything for Taiga, and indeed because she couldn't bring herself to.

Not quite a theme music start as the StuCoPres introduces Ryuuji's next obstacle, the chance to gain equal footing again - be the King of Bunkasai by beating everybody in a footrace - but pretty close, as the music has the general tenor and feel of Pre-Parade.

The race itself comes down to Ryuuji and a surprise entrant:

UkTHTXx.jpg

Minorin doesn't even try to talk to Ryuuji here - too focused

Taiga's surprised, but some rogue elements provoke Minori into finally deciding to do what she sees as best for Taiga by sacrificing herself. Ryuuji is having none of that.

DilfL45.jpg

Taiga's speaking here, by the way, but she's clearly lying and the tone of voice conveys that.

Even as the music swells to cartharsis and we end on the dual victory of Minori and Ryuuji, Taiga instead tells herself that she doesn't need support, that is strong enough to stand on her own. But she isn't. The arc just proved it. But instead she bottles up her emotions instead, setting up disasters to come.

gDTRo5N.png

The viewer feels cartharsis, but Taiga has taken the wrong message from events - that she can't rely on anyone anymore, and has to be strong for herself.

A brief scene of Kitamura and the StuCoPres. If a viewer hadn't picked up on it before, this scene is pretty explicit - the unphasable Kitamura is totally nervous and crushing on the Pres. Back to the main pair for a bit as they fool around, Taiga thanks Minorin and then runs off to play-fight with Ami.

SQ5HqbG.png

So much going on with this expression. The self-loathing, the anger.

Minorin at least realises she totally fucked up by just getting mad at Ryuuji instead of just out and out telling him about last year, but she at least lays out her reasoning: Taiga hadn't told her anything about her dad this time around. You can see the self-delusion that could spin from that; that it wasn't her problem, that Taiga didn't want her to interfere, etc, etc. But Minorin comes clean:

ZvnNMqU.png

Great shot. You can see the fire reflecting in her eyes.

We see the limits of Minorin and Taiga's friendship as well here as Minorin explains why Taiga hasn't spoken about her parents since; Taiga, despite what she says, still cares and wants her dad's approval and doesn't want others to shittalk him.

Meanwhile, Kitamura approaches Taiga and asks for a dance. Taiga comes to a realisation: that his kindness isn't specific, but indiscriminate. It's just how it is. And she manages to talk to him without completely shutting down, which is good, in a way. But it's also because she's closing up again, I think.

9kMZFdI.png

That smile

Minorin discovers that she feels comfortable speaking with Ryuuji about fairly serious stuff without having to resort to her genki facade, but is interrupted before she can really reflect on the moment.

It's an fascinating arc and a very interesting ending, especially as the finale to the first cour of Toradora. On the surface it's a happy ending; even with Taiga's father abandoning her, she still has her friends, realisations are made and shared, and they won all the contests. Everyone dances as the camera rises to the sky. But what have the characters actually taken away from this? Only Ami, I think, comes out unscathed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom