• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanee

I watched a couple of movies I bought on blu-ray just before Christmas

Summer Wars

This was great fun with some really nice animation and a fantastic cast of characters. I wasnt expecting the whole cyber world stuff because I bought it blind. I could watch a three hour flick with the characters just dicking about in day to day life.

Is there anything else like this one? A big family dicking about type thing.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

I also enjoyed this one, especially the main the character and the way she acted. Time travel seems like a lot of hassle most of the time. Gotta get that pudding though.

Garden of Words is next up.

Can't wait to rewatch one of the best anime movies of all time tonight...

...Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

I also enjoyed this one, especially the main the character and the way she acted. Time travel seems like a lot of hassle most of the time. Gotta get that pudding though.

Strangely enough, I also watched The Girl Who Leapt through Time and Garden of Words back-to-back. I had just watched Ghost in the Shell right before both of them. I had a lot of spare time that day.

I did my Crunchyroll AOTY voting and ended up voting for Mob Psycho in over half the categories. Every single category except AOTY, which goes to Rakugo. RIP. Get better competition next time!

Delivering the recap of season 1 as a Rakugo performance was absolute genius. So simple but an utterly engrossing way to present it.

I forgot to mention that! That was fantastic. Show continues to run laps around everything else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
2016'S AOTY S2 01

its back
Kobayashi where??

I have no idea if it's still readily available, but I still think the live action version of the movie (incidentally with the same actress, but as a different character of course), tells a more interesting story using the same premise. Particularly since the live action's main character is the one who travels through time (in line with the original novel, from what I understand).

Thoraxes

Akiba's (S)Trip The Animation - 01

What the hell? I wasn't expecting it to be that much fun and have good animation to match. It was entertaining to watch.

DreamFes getting the love it deserves!
C1gwp_qUQAAkt6B.jpg:small

zulux21

Toradora is great. Not Clannad great, but pretty fantastic. It's a pretty fun watch too!

Hey! Now wait just a--

Your forgiven. Carry on.

what... the other events are great but the so called romance in the show feels more like a brother taking care of his little sister rather than two people in a romantic relationship. The only good character from Furukawa household is the father. To be fair I find most of the cast of clannad to be on the boring/generic side. only reason I can remember nigasa's name is because the dub pronounces it funny and I am currently rewatching the series with my wife and a friend. luckily the story that goes on around the characters is well done.

in other news... anyone who wants to play the disgaea 2 demo can get a key from alienware
https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...151925209&mc_cid=49121887e0&mc_eid=b63b9ea0a1

Jex

The first season of Rakugo omitted the OP in about half its episodes, and the ED in several episodes as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if the second season ends up similar.

Rakugo feels like a series that's trying to squeeze as much content as possible into its timeslot.

Rakugo feels like a series that's trying to squeeze as much content as possible into its timeslot.

Yep. In fact they deleted already done scenes in the first episode. The OVAs where that material came were longer, so we already missed some scenes.
I found it... on Internet, but without subtitles.
:(

phaze

dead

Meanwhile my boy Phaze quietly and steadfastly consumes all sorts of mecha shows. I mean he hates most of them but A for effort.

This thread deserves a better class of mecha enthusiast.

shes a main character in this now

Yeah, literally no excuse now !

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju S2 01

We're past Spring, through Summer and all the way to the winter yet anime continues to be not quite dead, Rakugo remains quite damn good and Yotaro tfu I mean Sukeroku is still an energetic chara that breathes life into every scene he's in.

Oh no, I understand. I'll start watchbetting people Majin Bone once I start clearing my other bets up.

Sounds good! >:)

what... the other events are great but the so called romance in the show feels more like a brother taking care of his little sister rather than two people in a romantic relationship. The only good character from Furukawa household is the father. To be fair I find most of the cast of clannad to be on the boring/generic side. only reason I can remember nigasa's name is because the dub pronounces it funny and I am currently rewatching the series with my wife and a friend. luckily the story that goes on around the characters is well done.

I always bought it only because it establishes pretty well that they do care for and love each other. It's a sincere and innocent love. I'm personally okay with that. I didn't need to see any sexual intimacy between them because it establishes, pretty well I think, that they do love each other without having to resort to any sexual intimacy to convey it.

But I digress. I plan to rewatch it soon too. Trying to get my roommate to rewatch it with me.

Yeah for best opening, I just instantly went to other and did Kiznaiver.

You're a good person.

I went other and put in Re:zero because it's a way way better opening than the boring Kiznaiver opening :p

Hell, even that would've been better than the options that were there.

????????????? Mob Psycho was already on the Best OP list. Didn't know you could vote for something else?

I voted for Mob Psycho in my haste and foolishness. Should've taken my time.

Gvitor

Masamune-kun's Revenge 01

"You're either hot or not human"

Hopefully they do a good job developing some romance instead of just shoving it after the revenge plan goes through.

zulux21

Sounds good! >:)

I always bought it only because it establishes pretty well that they do care for and love each other. It's a sincere and innocent love. I'm personally okay with that. I didn't need to see any sexual intimacy between them because it establishes, pretty well I think, that they do love each other without having to resort to any sexual intimacy to convey it.

But I digress. I plan to rewatch it soon too. Trying to get my roommate to rewatch it with me.

oh, I wasn't implying I wanted a sexual side posted. I was more referring to that the two characters have basically no romantic chemistry like at all. to be fair the main character is about as exciting as a wet cloth and nagisa has about as much charisma as a brick... so it makes sense why there isn't much going on there (and also why they can't match up to a wet cloth and a brick in general :p)

oh, I wasn't implying I wanted a sexual side posted. I was more referring to that the two characters have basically no romantic chemistry like at all. to be fair the main character is about as exciting as a wet cloth and nagisa has about as much charisma as a brick... so it makes sense why there isn't much going on there (and also why they can't match up to a wet cloth and a brick in general :p)

Oh, I see where you're coming from. That's fair. Maybe it's because I identified with Tomoya, but I can't expect everyone to identify with him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As Yotarou happily begins his new life, he meets others in Yakumo's life, including Yakumo's ward Konatsu. Konatsu was the daughter of a famous storyteller, and Yakumo took her in after her father's tragic death. Konatsu loved her father's storytelling, and would love to become a performer in her own right—but that path is not available for women.

Haly, where is this show??

shes a main character in this now
Too bad it seems the promised premise is gone. lol

Eumi

In which we learn that Alolan tradition has children deal with manmade ecological disasters in return for shiny pebbles.

I'm curious to see how this show is gonna handle moving to other islands without compromising the school aspect. I'm not sure I want this to just become Satoshi going on a journey with the rest of the crew being cheerleaders.

Rakugo S2 - 01

Heh, with this sort of opening sequence you know you're in for a good time. For a moment I was wondering why Yotaro would need to rehearse his Rakugo in location instead of just practicing somewhere else but alas, it was Rakugo for the audience and certainly a smart choice to freshen up our memory. Great use of music here and generally throughout the episode.

Busaiku

In which we learn that Alolan tradition has children deal with manmade ecological disasters in return for shiny pebbles.

I'm curious to see how this show is gonna handle moving to other islands without compromising the school aspect. I'm not sure I want this to just become Satoshi going on a journey with the rest of the crew being cheerleaders.
I thought the first season or 2 were gonna be Ash and everyone else graduating, then Ash setting out on his own with Lillie and maybe Sophocles or something, while everyone else assumed their roles as Trial Captains.
Now, I dunno.

All the top sellers from last season are consumed primarily by women.
Is this the new era.

The female audience for anime usually sticks with older technological trends longer than the male audience for anime. Hence why the DVD vs. BD sales split is typically weighted much more in favor of DVDs for female-targeted anime than male. (And also why, in the console statistics released by Crunchyroll today, the list of anime watched more on the Wii than other platforms was dominated by female-targeted anime.) So it makes sense, at a time when disc sales are declining as digital delivery gains greater ground, that the best-selling anime discs would be those targeted at women.

kewlmyc

Don't get me started on how they fu(ked up Charlotte. The show could have been sooo much better if they actually made it 24 episodes instead of squashing it into 13.... (same issue he had with Angel Beats, even though he said he "learned his lesson" from that mistake)

I still really liked Charlotte though.

qtLhd5E.jpg

i'm still disappointed by that. That last episode could have been its stand alone series and would have been. Entire potential arcs just looked over in the course of a few seconds. Like having the MC actually hesitate and weigh the pros and cons of removing the healing abilities of that girl who was her village's doctor. But nope, just skip right over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom