• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Bokan 24 Episode 14

New OP and ED is fantastic. Hey! Say! Jump! over the top perfect match for the new visuals instead of dancing characters used cool poses and great transitions. Love all the happy Tokio.

The Akudarma 2 focused ending was hilarious, the K.O. part especially.

Easily hey say jump and uverworld in the lead for best op songs of this season.

Regarding what you said JulianImp, while she was what you described for the most part, there was also an element of mystery about her that made me wonder what made her what she is today. With the last three episodes of Despair (especially episode 7), all the intrigue has gone out the window in favour of making her a Saturday morning Cartoon villain who just happens to have no restraints.

In the meantime,

Dangan Ronpa 3 Future 8

Knowing Dangan Ronpa,
Ruruka
will make it to the end despite being a terrible person. Hell I'm expecting her and
Munakata
to be the remaining survivors, given that Kodaka loves to keep everyone's least favourite characters alive and letting the good ones die.

JulianImp

The problem I have with Danganronpa as a whole is that for some reason it doesn't work for me in anime form. It may just be that the execution was poor when adapting it on the first one, but it feels off as something other than a game. Even the character design which when playing felt stylish, in anime form just felt cheesy. Wish I had a better way to explain. Oh and Danganronpa 3 was absolute trash so that didn't help.

In my opinion, part 3 was doomed by attempting to fill in the gaps to the Tragedy. It worked fine as some kind of unspoken noodle incident, but it being an event that turned the whole world into a barren wasteland filled with murderous psychopaths (or something) meant that almost any kind of explanation as to how the heck such a thing happened would probably fall short. I get that it was supposed to tie into Future Side by presenting the awful plot device that would be used for its climax, but everything boiling down to
brainwashing videos
was... actually despair-inducing in it's own meta way.

The "tragedy"/worldbuilding stuff of Danganronpa just isn't that great. It works for something to feature in the final chapter of a game, but a story that's actually built around it just feels silly.

Urara Meirochou 01

C1k_xv2XEAAxJ5v.jpg
C1k_xv7WgAAEmDI.jpg

If you have high blood sugar do not watch because of how sugary sweet and cute it is.

In my opinion, part 3 was doomed by attempting to fill in the gaps to the Tragedy. It worked fine as some kind of unspoken noodle incident, but it being an event that turned the whole world into a barren wasteland filled with murderous psychopaths (or something) meant that almost any kind of explanation as to how the heck such a thing happened would probably fall short. I get that it was supposed to tie into Future Side by presenting the awful plot device that would be used for its climax, but everything boiling down to
brainwashing videos
was... actually despair-inducing in it's own meta way.
This may be true, but the Hope Arc didn't fill any gaps and was still a piece of trash. I think with V3 we will see the series go back to form, but it's just disappointing that the trilogy ended on such a shitty note, considering how much love I have for DR1 and 2.
The "tragedy"/worldbuilding stuff of Danganronpa just isn't that great. It works for something to feature in the final chapter of a game, but a story that's actually built around it just feels silly.
This is also true. At the end of the day DR wasn't about world building, it was about surviving with a bunch of teenagers that may want to kill you. The focus was on character interaction, and both Despair and Hope weren't that great in that regard.

Speaking of Danganronpa, is it accessible for someone who's never played the games?
Eh. First anime sells the game short. There is no adaptation of the 2nd game. Lastly the 2 arcs that compose DR3 are trash, and if you aren't a fan of the games looking for a conclusion to the story (which you may just be better off not watching) then there is absolutely no point to watching them.

Ball's on your court now.

Speaking of Danganronpa, is it accessible for someone who's never played the games?

Dangan Ronpa 3? Definitely not. This is a series that requires you to have played the first two games, as well as Another Episode, though you could probably just read a detailed synopsis for Another Episode given I don't recommend actually playing Another Episode.
And that's not even taking into account how inconsequential it is in the grand scheme of things.
And the anime adaption of the first game is bollocks so I don't recommend watching that or its shitty dub.

Basically Dangan Ronpa 3 is an investment. It requires you to play the first two games (and Another Episode but again, it's not very good) which are fun games in their own right, in order to be fully aware of what's going on in DR3. Whether you think it's worth getting into the series is up to you.

gargles

Future's first episode spoils the second game's ending in its first minutes. Definitely not.
If you're interested in this series, play the first two games (first one is really good, second one is great), skip UDG and only if you want to see how everything ends, ignoring some retconning; watch 3.

kewlmyc

Not really. Danganronapa 3 serves as the ending part of trilogy. The first part got an okay adaption a few years back, and the 2nd part of the trilogy never got an adaption. Don't bother with Danganronpa 3 if you haven't watched/played DR1 and played DR2.

Cornbread78

urara meirochou ep.1
Uggh, I couldn't make it to the 10 min mark. CGDCT just doesn't work for me sometimes. Bellies, underboob, silly "cute" comedy....

Maybe when I'm in a more tolorable mood, I'll try finishing it, but for now it's dropped. Too much other stuff to watch.

KING OF THE BRAVES GAOGAIGAR #31 Farewell GGG

Wait that, that is Kaido! So he is like Mamoru even better, but why with J-Bird???

Also the drill, easily bigger than the drill love in TTGL.

Ojamajo Doremi# 20:

For Kids!

This was a heavy episode. Even more so than I thought it would be from the preview. But it also had a lot of really nice moments, and an optimistic ending. Aiko episodes can be too much sometimes.

blurr

At this point in time my ranking is something like this: Wind Rises >>>Porco Rosso=Whisper of the Heart >> Princess Mononoke >>>>> Castle of Cagliostro>>>Kiki's Delivery Service >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Totoro

Hm, mostly in line with my thoughts (if not for Kiki's position) and I have really got to watch Wind Rises.

Man I can't wait for the best boy duo to be back! Zestiria is definitely my most anticipated show of the season. Hopefully FLOW delivers on the ED.
4c6e0c3851ec5939da3063334dff65fa.jpg

March still comes in like a lion 12
I'm so glad you spelled it out for us, otherwise I might not have gotten the implications of that quick scene change in the middle of this heavy handed internal monologue.

duckroll

Can someone explain to me what Tales of Zesteria X actually is? Is it an adaptation of ToZ exclusively with some references to ToB, or is it an adaptation of ToZ and ToB mutated into a single coherent (or incoherent?!) narrative?

Can someone explain to me what Tales of Zesteria X actually is? Is it an adaptation of ToZ exclusively with some references to ToB, or is it an adaptation of ToZ and ToB mutated into a single coherent (or incoherent?!) narrative?

The first cour was an adaptation of ToZ with 2 random episodes showing the beginning of ToB thrown in the middle with no narrative threads connecting it to the rest of the show. It felt more like a clumsy tangent meant to advertise their other game more than anything.

It's an adaptation of the game, with changed elements in the story to make for a better anime narrative. Like better characterisation for Alicia.

The 2 Berseria episode of season 1 were like 2 special episodes that came out close to the game, like a promo. They were not linked with the rest of the Zestiria anime.

Edit: Gotta learn to refresh, I got beaten.

For those who watched all of the first season, what do you think the best episodes were?

Purely of the top of my head and with a little help for Daisuki thumbnails I would say

2,3,8,9 and 11.

I loved what they did with Sorey's awakening and the water armatization the most.(3 and 9)

Edit: I swapped 3 and 4.

Not enough Fafner in this thread.
Well, I guess we can talk about how much weight Kenji put on during the timeskip, or how Reo literally became Kennosuke.
One thing in the Beyond PV that I did notice was how the only scenes shown of Fafners in-motion were handdrawn. Though, since HaE and Exodus have always mixed CG and handdrawn animation, it probably just means the CG work wasn't finish in time for the PV.

phaze

Sangatsu no Lion 12
024387b5u8u.jpg
024390qhubq.jpg
0243949aupn.jpg
024396lqul8.jpg

Arimaaaaaaaa

This is a pretty damn good OP&ED combo.

The usual drawbacks are still here but enjoyed getting more info on the sister situation as well as Rei getting angry. The execution of the initial sequence was great as well.

Narag

Myriad Colors Phantom World 13 FIN

zzz

===

dimb was so right and the last three eps ended up being the dullest of the bunch. They were far more serious and the show was consequently robbed of the bit of charm it possessed when it was overindulging itself in absurdity and fetishism. Even if the episode as a whole was largely unremarkable, those particular eps were at least fun to watch in a way where one was eager to see what dumb shit would happen next. The macguffin that popped up from time to time ended up a disappointment as well as I expected it to manifest into something more than a login device for a computer network. That said, credit where credit's due as this was the third best Kyoani show I've seen.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai 01

You know I was ready to trash this show for nothing being the kind of monstergirls I like, you knwo the type more monstrous than girl. But I enjoyed what I watched here. It is amusing that the MC just wants to talk and interview the monstergirls and doesn't actually have any ulterior motives.

phaze

Seiren - 01

ZzzZzzzz

Is Amagami equally as boring? If yes, I question you folks watching it (ironically or not).

Yes and no ? Depends on the arc really though I think most of them had pretty slow beginnings. There should be some Amagami tier dumb stuff in next episode so please be excited !

Myriad Colors Phantom World 13 FIN

zzz

===

dimb was so right and the last three eps ended up being the dullest of the bunch. They were far more serious and the show was consequently robbed of the bit of charm it possessed when it was overindulging itself in absurdity and fetishism. Even if the episode as a whole was largely unremarkable, those particular eps were at least fun to watch in a way where one was eager to see what dumb shit would happen next. The macguffin that popped up from time to time ended up a disappointment as well as I expected it to manifest into something more than a login device for a computer network. That said, credit where credit's due as this was the third best Kyoani show I've seen.

Wow, picked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom