• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviews With Monster Girls 01

One time I said that Polt didn't count as a real monster girl, and I'd like to take that back and apologize on behalf of this show.

Might stick around just for the Succubus girl

I burst out laughing at the award ceremony. How is he still allowed to come back after that?

because kayfabe, you can write a good story about that

Izayoi

Banned
Out of curiosity I went and checked and I disagree most of what is there is good. You have stuff like Haikyu, YoI, Twin star exorcist and Blue exorcist which are all super good.
It's spotty at best. Personally I have no interest in shonen (outside of HxH and FMA) and sports, which pretty much decimated the top 20 for me.

Regarding Thunderbolt Fantasy, I could not make it more than 5 minutes in. I'm sorry. ;_;

I mean you may not like Blue Exorcist but it's pretty great. Baring stuff like Naruto, which indeed a mix bag, everything else is pretty great.

Nah, I can say that the first six episodes or so of Blue Exorcist were pretty excruciatingly bad. It's fine if you like it, but I don't think the show can be called great.

Hell, Digimon Adventure tri is only like 10 rows down, and that's the worst anime ever made.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Interview with monster girls

Too much girl and not enough monster.

Nah, I can say that the first six episodes or so of Blue Exorcist were pretty excruciatingly bad. It's fine if you like it, but I don't think the show can be called great.

Hell, Digimon Adventure tri is only like 10 rows down, and that's the worst anime ever made.

Movie Part 3 at least didn't feel insulting to my intelligence as a viewer like the first two..still quite bad though.

I think the same can be said about calling it bad. It's fine if you don't like, but I don't think the show can be called bad.

Opinions and stuff I guess.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 13

Everything I wanted from a match with yellow devil but with a resolution that makes it so easy to not only empathize with Tiger Mask but to want more!

kewlmyc

The most popular anime have always been shounen series, specially the ones that have connections to Shounen Jump.

I am surprised Twin Star Exorcist is so popular though (apparently). Even when reading the manga, the only thing that stood out from other shounen was the art, which didn't carry over to the anime. I'm guessing most of the show is filler since there manga was slowly paced to the point that I could only see an anime getting 26 episodes worth of content over it.

Cornbread78

The most popular anime have always been shounen series, specially the ones that have connections to Shounen Jump.

I am surprised Twin Star Exorcist is so popular though (apparently). Even when reading the manga, the only thing that stood out from other shounen was the art, which didn't carry over to the anime. I'm guessing most of the show is filler since there manga was slowly paced to the point that I could only see an anime getting 26 episodes worth of content over it.

Popular anime is all pure shit and way below animeGAF standards. You're only allowed to like the artful masterpieces out there.

Goldie needs to step up his game, lol.

Cornbread78

cornbread handwringing again

Of course, because I love all the shit myself, lol.

QjF0f9X.gif

It is mostly original at this point, but since the author of the manga is having a word on what is being done in the anime it seems to be futur stuff from the manga that were just added early in the anime. Kinako and the twelve guardians are an exemple of that. For it's popularity it's pretty easy to guess imo. It has a super likeable MC duo, a great supporting cast, cool designs and it's fun.

Hopefully Black Clover enjoys the same popularity.

kewlmyc

Popular anime is all pure shit and way below animeGAF standards. You're only allowed to like the artful masterpieces out there.

Goldie needs to step up his game, lol.

Since most popular anime is shounen, and long running shounen to boot, it's just hard to get into it since most of it ends up being predictable as all hell and/or has no ending in sight. It's hard to get into it or boast how good it is when most feels like its padded out and character development can reset/disappear at the drop of a hat. The ones that move away from this problems do get recognition as good shows though. FMA and HxH come to mind. There are also exceptions like Gintama that get passes for being all the above because they're parody comedy series first and foremost.

Qurupeke

Oh my god there's so much trash in the Crunchyroll "Popular" category that I don't even know if I want to watch anymore anime today. What a colossal waste of time.

So, I had to check. 20 rows x 4 shows = 80 shows without scrolling even further down. Around 7-8 shows that I could actually call good and interest me... Yeah, it's bad, at least for me. Not that I'm surprised when Yuri on Ice and Keijo were some of the most popular shows last season.

Jintor

Hmm. Peaking at the Demi-chan manga, looks like the anime is greatly expanding the realistic feel of the show from what is in the manga. Looks to be a great adaption.

Kemono no Souja Erin - 41-42

And the very good, atmospheric dialogues just continue. It's almost all talk for 3 episodes now and it's just fantastic. The really large soundtrack is coming into play nicely, too.

Erin's growing conviction is a beauty to follow and the generally mature and decisive behavior of several important characters is much appreciated. If this show can somehow hold up this quality until the end I'd be damn happy.

Now, if what I can definitely criticize is the large amount of flashbacks which are a staple by now but that doesn't make them any better. They kinda repeated the last ~2 minutes of the episode just now lmao.

Narag

Dragon Ball wrote itself into a corner 20 years ago, but Super tries its best to make due with that.

One Piece has proven that the best way to have power creep is to set it up years beforehand.

How's that work? Just start with a massive gulf in power/ability that the characters slowly close as they progress?

Ascheroth

It's kind of a mix of doing it's own thing while using some things from the manga that have only appeared recently or haven't appeared yet and doing manga stuff. Though I'm not sure if it went completely original or got back to manga material already, since I'm like 9 episodes behind or something.

And yeah, the art is cool.

How's that work? Just start with a massive gulf in power/ability that the characters slowly close as they progress?

I would assume they introduce the enemy who will appear later in the end game early on who just wrecks the good guys, then they slowly keep gaining strength until they can defeat him later on?

Qurupeke

Hmm. Peaking at the Demi-chan manga, looks like the anime is greatly expanding the realistic feel of the show from what is in the manga. Looks to be a great adaption.

Pretty much. I'd say that as far as I've read it doesn't delve very deep into some of the issues it presents, but nonetheless it is a fresh take to its genre and I think it manages to be pretty interesting. Like, it's not very apparent with the first episode, but the story with the succubus isn't played just for laughs and the series develops some interesting concepts around it. I think what Jarmel said is somewhat apt, but it's not so much about the disabled, rather than generally the minorities and some of their problems in society, presented in a simple but cute way. Honestly, I don't understand why some people here supposedly wanted MonMusume: School Edition. More "monster-like" girls would basically negate the whole premise of the show. Not everything has to be over the top and raunchy. I'm sure a few people won't stick with Demi-chan, but hopefully it will find its fans. And thankfully, despite the initial concerns about the show's art, it ended up looking pretty good.

I would assume they introduce the enemy who will appear later in the end game early on who just wrecks the good guys, then they slowly keep gaining strength until they can defeat him later on?

Pretty much all the strongest characters in One Piece are set up years in advance. Hell, one of the strongest characters in the series was present from chapter 1. The thing is that with two major exceptions the top tier characters are generally just talked about or shown in battles with other top tier characters when introduced. But the major players of the world of One Piece are established long before they actually fight the main characters

Pretty much. I'd say that as far as I've read it doesn't delve very deep into some of the issues it presents, but nonetheless it is a fresh take to its genre and I think it manages to be pretty interesting. Like, it's not very apparent with the first episode, but the story with the succubus isn't played just for laughs and the series develops some interesting concepts around it. I think what Jarmel said is somewhat apt, but it's not so much about the disabled, rather than generally the minorities and some of their problems in society, presented in a simple but cute way. Honestly, I don't understand why some people here supposedly wanted MonMusume: School Edition. More "monster-like" girls would basically negate the whole premise of the show. Not everything has to be over the top and raunchy. I'm sure a few people won't stick with Demi-chan, but hopefully it will find its fans. And thankfully, despite the initial concerns about the show's art, it ended up looking pretty good.
While I was half joking about more 'monster-like' monstergirls it wasn't bending towards the raunchy aspects.

There's a sort of lost oddness when the monstergirls honestly just look like regular human girls except for the Dullahan. In my head you could tell the same kind of story with more monsterlike monstergirls, in fact I'd take it a bit better because the girls would visually stick out from their peers more. i.e. How does the Teenaged Lamia girl feel when she goes clothes shopping with her friends and she can't find cute things in her size like them?

Pretty much, yeah.

Most of the big shots in One Piece have been around for years, but haven't fought the Straw Hats yet (or in a few cases the crew encountered them and ran like hell). The series usually checks in with all of the various other characters at the end of each arc and shows them reacting to what just happened.

So we've seen the main cast slowly progressing towards the point where they can now start to get ready to take on some of those big shot type characters who have been around for awhile.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 38

Been forever since Laura got a performance, and it's her first non-Aikatsu Step solo. This was more of a where we are now episode, with everyone congratulating themselves on making it this far and speculating on who is competitive for S4. Song Class of course is the only one with any real competition. Well, I still think Mahiru or Ako (probably the latter) will make it while the other doesn't, but neither have any competition now. As for Dance, I kind of hope Haruka comes out of nowhere to stomp Yuzu, just for the huge swerve that would be.

Jintor

While I was half joking about more 'monster-like' monstergirls it wasn't bending towards the raunchy aspects.

There's a sort of lost oddness when the monstergirls honestly just look like regular human girls except for the Dullahan. In my head you could tell the same kind of story with more monsterlike monstergirls, in fact I'd take it a bit better because the girls would visually stick out from their peers more. i.e. How does the Teenaged Lamia girl feel when she goes clothes shopping with her friends and she can't find cute things in her size like them?

Yeah the thing that struck me is that vampire chick in particular is just... a genki girl basically with some stuff about blood.

At least take a sunshade out and about!

Jarmel

Banned

That's why I think it works as a more general metaphor for disabilities. The succubus works as something for attractive women in that men can't stop staring and can only think about fucking her. The dullahan possibly for wheelchair bound people.

John Blade

henneko_4-1.png

What I learn from this episode
  • Get a better reason why Tsukiko and Tsukushi don't get along when they're older.
  • Youto try to found out a bit more of the issue from Tsukushi but got few more stuff he didn't know about like the Cat shrine.
  • Tsukiko start to realize Youto won't be close to her when she get back her emotion. Have a feeling, she like Youto but he isn't smart to catch it till she literally tell him about what she think.
  • A fight between Youto and Tsukushi when you found out a bit more of what she is doing. This fight and reason why Tsukiko want to keep her lack of emotion manage to get Youto to step up and try to defend Youto (with the help from Azusa).
  • A big battle at the Cat shrine where Youto and Tsukushi duke out and found out few more stuff between the two sister which also bring some funny scene of secret between them.
  • Some sort of conclusion between the two sister but for some reason, Youto don't have a home to go back after the incident.

I guess this end the Tsutsukakushi sister issue which you start to see the difference between them. In a way, the end of it kinda mend the two sisters issue which I guess is a good thing. Few funny scene in this episode which bring out some fan service if you're into them. The end of this episode is weird but I guess it might be cause of what happen at the Cat shrine near the end. Fun episode and will like to see where it goes from here.

Qurupeke

I'd say this works better (maybe only) in a humorous situation. I mean, I just can't sympathize with a snake that doesn't find good clothes as much as someone that has to carry a burden every day. Technically, you could argue that this is a metaphor for very tall people that can't find clothes on their size, but because we're talking about a snake, for me it becomes too unreal. Like, in Demi-chan, all of them have normal proportions. Having a snake's body or a spider's or whatever else MonMusume does, is definitely a lot more creative but it gets so weird that you can't really expand it as much as you want and even if the author intends to be serious, I find it difficult to take it that way. In that regard, I'm curious about Centaur's Worries, which despite featuring centaurs and other monsters, seems to deal with some cool stuff afaik.

Dragon Ball was never concerned about what happened next after the current arc was over (until Super, really.) This really became clear at the start of the Android arc, where a new character comes from the future to kill Freeza in 30 seconds, and its revealed there were multiple Androids on Earth as strong if not stronger then Freeza with no setup.

Where One Piece is different is the fact that Oda is a master of the setup and payoff dynamic. Since nearly every antagonist is focused on the same goal - to get to Raftel and obtain the One Piece - and how the journey there is setup, it makes sense in universe for enemies to get naturally stronger as you get closer. Once you pass the halfway point almost everyone will end up taking the same path, so people who are weak end up being eradicated or fall in line with stronger people. You also tend to learn a lot about an antagonist or island before their time actually comes, so when you have known about Doflamingo for a decade he doesn't need to be hyped up in universe. Its not just that characters like Mihawk, Shanks, Blackbeard, Doflamingo and Aokiji are introduced early, its that you can feel their influence on the world like you can feel Luffy's. People who stand at the absolute top of the food chain like Kaidou, Akainu and Dragon have a tangible effect on the world, even if they show up rarely or haven't fought anyone on screen. You can feel how deadlocked the race for the One Piece became because of the insurmountable power of the Yonkou and the Marines being like the unmovable shield and the unstoppable spear and how the new generation is upsetting it all.

There's an arc that represents the halfway point called Marineford where the power dynamics of this world are re-established. At this point Luffy has taken down multiple big names and made a big name for himself while effectively clawing his way to the top of the Grand Line foodchain, and nearly every single power player who has clashed with the Strawhats or not is present at the arcs finale, save for Big Mom and Dragon. But then he learns that the remaining smaller percentage of enemies he hasn't beaten yet are multitudes stronger and that these long built up legends and power players have their status for a reason. Before this arc there are a lot of up and coming characters who journeyed into the New World and were crushed so badly they gave up completely and went back, got rolled into a superior force or died and this pretty much happens to Luffy, so when the crew comes back you know what the stakes are and how hard they are going to have to fight and that one day far in the future the allies and comrades they have gained will be their own power dynamic to finally crush the others. There's a lot of dichotomy between the old generation of pirates and marines who were and still are absolute monsters in terms of strength and the up and coming new (worst) generation of less experienced but hot-headed and mostly unbound to old power structures pirates and how it was completely unthinkable for anyone to do a dozen things Luffy has done.

Then you have stuff like Conqueror's Haki or the Will of D which is essentially people who carry with them the power to forge history and who can compel people to follow them like a great leader.

One Piece is such a long and personal story (you can tell Oda is more interested in his own story then anyone else) that I could just run my mouth, but you get the idea. Since One Piece has been so successful, I'd expect the Dragon Ball method to be abandoned completely - but it was already kinda going that way anyway. People want a world they can be invested in. The world of Dragon Ball doesn't have any great questions or mysteries or even much of its own mythology, but the worlds of One Piece, Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul and My Hero Academia have a lot more world-focus.

Now you might be saying "But didn't you hate all the mysteries in stuff like Re:Zero?" and the answer is yes, but the difference is I have absolute confidence in four things when it comes to One Piece. One, that the story will eventually finish. Two, that ongoing mysteries will be given new light, new dimension or be solved. Three, that these are not mysteries for mysteries sake and that the largest questions of the world - The One Piece, the Void Century, the Will of D and the Ancient Weapons - will tie into each other. Four, that everything will be wrapped up in a satisfying manner. I guess we can throw Attack on Titan in there too since I've been so surprised at how well the Basement stuff has been done. But it seems clear to me that a story structured like One Piece is far more engaging and worth following for two decades. Now someone who can craft that kind of story like Oda has to be one in a million, but we'll see.

Line_HTX

Myriad Colors Phantom World 13 FIN

zzz

===

dimb was so right and the last three eps ended up being the dullest of the bunch. They were far more serious and the show was consequently robbed of the bit of charm it possessed when it was overindulging itself in absurdity and fetishism. Even if the episode as a whole was largely unremarkable, those particular eps were at least fun to watch in a way where one was eager to see what dumb shit would happen next. The macguffin that popped up from time to time ended up a disappointment as well as I expected it to manifest into something more than a login device for a computer network. That said, credit where credit's due as this was the third best Kyoani show I've seen.

Yeah, it's much more enjoyable when it's not serious. It's like they wanted to try a subplot at the end just so they can have an end.

Have you seen 14 yet though? Heh heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom