• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I honestly don't know how enjoyable Gabriel can be now that Satania has magically developed self-awareness and caught on to Raphi's bullying.

Apparently, it's one of the better written stories in the series. It's also a stand alone story in the series, so it makes sense why they chose that one to make a movie out of.

Rather have that than an original movie that is never referenced again in the main series.

That assumes we ever get another NGNL series.

Also, I forgot Love Tyrant is getting an anime. It's not a particularly good manga, but it's entertaining in it's own way. Mostly because the Yandere is constantly stabbing people. The main girl is pretty fucking annoying though.

Szadek

That assumes we ever get another NGNL series.

Also, I forgot Love Tyrant is getting an anime. It's not a particularly good manga, but it's entertaining in it's own way. Mostly because the Yandere is constantly stabbing people. The main girl is pretty fucking annoying though.
Sold!

Cornbread78

Chaika, The Coffin Princess ep.1
yG5lgbs.png
6sZq4nS.png

Whelp, screw the word build up here. They literally dump you right into the middle of things without really explaining anything, but I guess they will explain exerything and build the world along the way. MC and sis don't seam so bad, but hopefully Chaika stops the baby talk after a short time because it's pretty annoying.... Either way this could be a fun replacement for Absolute Duo.

kewlmyc

yG5lgbs.png
6sZq4nS.png

Whelp, screw the word build up here. They literally dump you right into the middle of things without really explaining anything, but I guess they will explain exerything and build the world along the way. MC and sis don't seam so bad, but hopefully Chaika stops the baby talk after a short time because it's pretty annoying.... Either way this could be a fun replacement for Absolute Duo.

Nope, sorry. And it's not really baby talk, it's how people speak who are speaking a second language that they aren't really all that familiar with.

Cornbread78

Nope, sorry. And it's not really baby talk, it's how people speak who are speaking a second language that they aren't really all that familiar with.

Makes sense, but they haven't really explained that past that weird 2 second opening when she was introduced, lol.

I'll have to deal.

blurr

yG5lgbs.png
6sZq4nS.png

lol, that's her schtick in terms of viewer appeal, seems it has the opposite effect over you

Cornbread78

lol, that's her schtick in terms of viewer appeal, seems it has the opposite effect over you

I don't think the anime ever explains it because that would require them to make up a new gibberish language that the VA could speak convincingly.

On another note, I do wish the Anime kept her Ghillie suit Pajamas

Oh well, I'll manage, lol. Hopefully, the show is at least entertaining and fun.

Line_HTX

More anime should follow Fuuka's example and have a double-episode premiere with a bye week somewhere in the 2nd half of its run.

Eh those states numbers make sense since that is also effectively the same population ranking as well. Easy for people to forget that Ohio is the 7th largest state.

Not sure how Washington, DC beat out so many other bigger cities though.

Narag

Shocked by how many votes Ohio posted nearly as much as I'm shocked by how few votes Re:Zero received when people were telling me it was last year's "It" show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eh those states numbers make sense since that is also effectively the same population ranking as well. Easy for people to forget that Ohio is the 7th largest state.

Not sure how Washington, DC beat out so many other bigger cities though.

Congressmen catching up on Re:Zero in between sessions.

Well, I still say Re: Zero is a good show but a lot of people who liked it also realized other shows were better.

Re: Zero was good but if you're gonna compare it to Mob Psycho 100 or Rakugo...well...there you go.

As someone who doesn't watch the OP of a show more than once, when I was walking to my next appointment "Oratorio" from World God Only Knows came on and I forgot how fucking incredible that song is. They made an entire actual Oratorio, 9 fucking minutes long for an OP that would play 1 minute of it, and it's tremendous. It even goes full Queen in the end.

Pundere

Gosh, what an arc. Kaiki is so radically different than Araragi, from how he approaches situations to how he interacts with the other characters. I love how much info about him is conveyed through just his actions and thoughts.

A lot of good Crab here as well. The scene with her going to the bathroom in the donut store caught me off guard with how legitimately emotional she got. You're reminded that, despite appearances, she's still a high school girl who's had to put up with an incredible amount of bullshit and it absolutely does gets to her.

Kaiki's big speech to Nadeko is fantastic in how convincing it is. Even knowing that's he's full of shit, I found myself believing that he was legitimately trying to get her to pursue her stupid dream. Hell, maybe he was? It's so hard to tell when he's being kind and when he's just saying what you want to hear.
Him seemingly dying at the end
is a gigantic bummer, obviously.

Oh and the op is excellent. The song and art absolutely nail the aesthetic they're going for.

So much gets resolved this season and there aren't nearly as many dangling threads left as there have been. The biggest question I have now is "What the fuck, Ougi?!

Cornbread78

Chaika ep,2
That fight on the bridge with the big henchman was actually really well done! So far, I'm liking this MC to lead the show and it has an interesting story behind it, so I'm all-in!

Narag

Yes! Precure 5 14
Hope the evil chairman dude/Karen thing keeps up as it creates a great rapport between heroes and villains to have someone so diametrically opposed in ideology.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Scum's Wish Episode 8:

AH yes, I would have enjoyed this episode more if they hadn't spend a good chunk of it on a new love interest for one of the side characters and expecting me to give a shit about him.

Jarmel

Banned
Youjo Senki-8
YfSPm8C.jpg
brRhyjX.jpg

BYeGS0c.jpg
u6645iy.jpg

We full WW2 now.

This is actually pretty interesting just from a more historical perspective because it shows the development from WW1 to WW2 in tactics. The main ones I'm thinking of are the increasing importance of encrypted communication channels, the shift towards aerial superiority, the rise of total warfare, and finally strategic bombing. One of the key elements of WW2 was the redefining of what constitutes a military target to more broadly include civilians. So here we see that on full display with Tanya essentially wiping out a city that while being full of guerilla fighters, it also housed a large number of civilians. Many of the mindsets portrayed in this episode was very prevalent in WW2 such as just following orders or that some of these people would later come and try to kill you. I'm finding this to be kind of interesting from that angle as it's not only showing how antiquated WW1 was but also the loss of morality in a war setting. I can't think of many shows (non-documentaries) that have really tried to tackle a topic like this so as a history buff this has been fairly entertaining.

I guess Curtis LeMay would be proud.

Katsura focused episodes have always been pretty hit or miss for me up to this point. I think he can be a hilariously unintentional self-centered character, but the humor doesn't always land. It did here though, with the Amnesiac Shogun showing him up as a rebel leader more and more.

Theonik

Nah. Working ;P
Take time off nerd.

Kemono Friends is one of those franchises like Touhou where the official art is garbage but the fanart makes the designs great.
Kemono Friends is trying so hard. I want to give it a hug!

Shocked by how many votes Ohio posted nearly as much as I'm shocked by how few votes Re:Zero received when people were telling me it was last year's "It" show.
Ohio is so depressing its inhabitants need anime to survive.

Jarmel

Banned
The other thing I want to point out is how the director/staff of Youjo Senki know about the weight of the material they're dealing with and so don't treat offhandedly or in a joking manner unlike the rest of the show. This episode was the first time where Tanya largely stops joking in the second half and the earlier jokes in the episode by her are in a mocking tone towards her superior officer who won't openly admit that they're bombing civilians. He's trying to dance around the topic and she's being somewhat condescending about the fact that he won't flat out say it. She obviously doesn't care considering
she essentially came up with the tactic
but it's how people covered up tactics like these by using fashionable words like strategic bombing for example. This comes across as noticeably less tone-deaf compared to GATE's using Ride of the Valkyries or overall jingoistic attitude towards the war material. There is a more subdued and serious feeling towards the presentation of the episode such as during the artillery strikes.
The other thing is the interesting switch in ED to a totally brand new one that is much more somber in its presentation and music compared to the original. This comes across as the staff knowing that the original ED wouldn't work in the context of this episode. It's less bombastic and is in some ways more elegant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom