• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Wing was the only Gundam series to be dubbed and show in Brazil AFAIK.

It was my first exposure to the series but I never really watched it because I had classes when it was airing.

phaze

Fafner Exodus 23-24
0263764hjfq.jpg
02636608k0z.jpg

Feels like I signed a death sentence on characters I singled out as my faves in my previous post cause one of them went all kaput on me and the other one had a giant bait&switch scene. Of course Mir magic bullshittery is nowhere to be seen when it counts. (aka - when characters I like go six feet under)

The UN situation was concluded with awfully quick. I'm surprised that earlier I saw some impressions to the effect that this ends all conclusive and stuff cause at this point, there's so little time and so many things to resolve, that even at this rushed pace, it seems like there's no way it'll deal with all it set up.

Cornbread78

Absolute Duo ep,9
niE5rrx.jpg

Meh, totally OP baddies that can just power up and repel any attacks just don't work for me... This show is alright, but they still have done 0 world building and basically 0 character development since the beginning, so I'm not surprised this main unknown OP antagonist is just there to be an a$$hole.

what show is this from?

"Big Order" of $hit

Fafner Exodus 23-24

Feels like I signed a death sentence on characters I singled out as my faves in my previous post cause one of them went all kaput on me and the other one had a giant bait&switch scene. Of course Mir magic bullshittery is nowhere to be seen when it counts. (aka - when characters I like go six feet under)

The UN situation was concluded with awfully quick. I'm surprised that earlier I saw some impressions to the effect that this ends all conclusive and stuff cause at this point, there's so little time and so many things to resolve, that even at this rushed pace, it seems like there's no way it'll deal with all it set up.

Well, at least Mir magic "did"
bring back Canon and Shouko, even if the latter didn't get to speak
. Though being used by
the Mir as dead puppets to speak to Kazuki
probably doesn't count.

Cornbread78

I thought Big Order might be cool.

Spoiler: it wasn't.

It still burns me that the ship they showed in the PVs wasnlt actually a ship at all and those scenes didn't end up in the series because the MC was too busy
fu(king his imouto, mentally, physically, who knows what the hell was actually going on
and not the other "lead female."

Yup , trash, burn it with fire.

Thud

Hyped for the anime of the year aka Zelda.

I've even started reading nausicaa. If there is anything like the sea of corruption in zelda, I'm gonna lose some shit.

So I started Gintama° today. Decided to go ahead and try the dub out to boot since Crunchyroll now have it dubbed in it's entirety. I prefer the Japanese voices but the dub as a whole is pretty solid. The only dub voice I'm not sold on is Kagura's.

Gintama - 145

:/

Here's an example what's ruining the serious arcs for me.

Very nice. A fairly poignant scene where an innocent child makes a simple but meaningful observation.

Uh thanks, but we've already gotten the point. Repeating it is unnecessary.

tumblr_mnyfd9eswf1sq9crubl.gif

You might as well start playing "Dango Daikazoku" because it might just not be sappy enough, yet.

And this overindulgence in dramatic dialogue and flashbacks happened 3-4 times within each of the last 5 episodes. Unbelievable.

I would've been quite happy with Gin becoming a heroic badass that cracks one line of wisdom after the other during these arcs. The contrast of that and his 'lazy' side works quite well in general. But when just about every character has several moments of enlightenment and starts spouting basic philosophy for minutes on end, fuck that. Even the damn kids can't help themselves and stop talking and acting like children.

This could've been a legit great arc and a few scenes worked well in spite of all this. Yet, here I am 5 whole episodes later and left disappointed. These 5 episodes should've been 2 or 3 at most. I'm not getting my hopes up for these 'serious' arcs any more. Outside of quite the nice animation quality the battles that took place here were basic battle shonen stuff, too. Aka lots of people receiving unsustainable injuries but when the dust settles, and boy was there a lot of dust, they can keep fighting anyways because willpower yadayada. That's how bad the pacing was, I'm complaining about even that.

That's a fair criticism. The only arc I found it to be pretty obnoxious in was the Beam Saber one but I definitely noticed those flaws as I watching the more serious arcs. I think that's a weak spot on Hideaki's part since he comes off as not being confident enough in the actions themselves show what the "themes" of his arcs are, so he has the characters reiterate them again and again.

Twin star exorcist 46

Ok I'll be honest here, while I enjoyed this series up until this point I never thought it was something I could call outstanding on any other front then it 's amazing characters and I never thought it would do anything crazy since it's Pierrot, but today's episode was just...wow? Epic moments followed by epic moments, followed by huge revelations.

First of the fight between Roku and Yuto is spread throughout the whole thing, but damn it starts out with a bang and not just the fight itself, but everything about this just kept giving
and giving
the episode was just superb animation over superb animation. I'm at a loss for words.

But then we reached the climax of the episode and efkjgifbcsalfdif
The way they brought Yuto's feelings to the forefront, the things at stake and their past and curse at birth! That god damn kid song! It chilled my blood!

I know I'm terrible with words, but people...this was amazing! It got me all emotional....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ethel & Ernest

That ending hit me hard. People saying the beginning of Up is sad, but this is like that times a hundred.

Gad Guard 3
ec704a8e61cf29eec590f1a8b8508fae.jpg

I love Hajiki's, let's call it, hero costume! Makes him look really cool. The new Gad is also pretty cool, hopefully it's owner isn't a bad character. Still too soon to tell tho.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner Exodus 23-24
I'm surprised that earlier I saw some impressions to the effect that this ends all conclusive and stuff cause at this point, there's so little time and so many things to resolve, that even at this rushed pace, it seems like there's no way it'll deal with all it set up.

Huh? Who said that?

Quasar

Hrm. I don't think Lucoa works as well as she does in the manga because of how even quick jokes in an anime or scenes take time which gives them more weight or impression whereas in the manga you can read a Lucoa boob joke in like 2 seconds and move on to the next panel.

Still like her though.

She's one of the bits I do like. Well Lucoa and Kanna.

Sterok

Masamune-kun's Revenge 9

Neko's story was just a weird and long diversion in the end. She's gone, but of course more characters have to show up to distract from the core of the premise.

Fafner Exodus 23-24

But everyone is litrally waiting for the continuation?

I had a lot of fun with the show as well. It's rare when the 1,000 year old loli is one of the best character and doesn't make you cringe 99% of the time.

Like you said, the characters were all unique and pretty fun, but it was a close race between Rory, and Kuribayashi for top girl.

Agreed, that team up fight -bandarassogood.gif-

The fights had a lot of detail in them, really enjoyed them.

Also on Gundam Wing...

I've said my peace about Wing and Seed Destiny enough in the Gundam thread. We all just accept that some of you are crazy.

Aside from the few who realize Altron is the end all be all of awesome Gundams.
tumblr_niis09p2cp1rjxyrgo4_500.gif

I was a heavyarms fan until common sense hit me one day.

Get back to 100%ing Hollow Knight!

Man, Scum's Wish is legit great. And not even like "Oh, the pedantic melodrama surrounding the tonal decadence of this anime is shallow and pedestrian, but it's okay I guess for being shit" great. I mean like, it is a fucking good show and would be AOTS if Konosuba and Rakugo weren't in the same season and even then it's making a good fucking case for itself.

GAD GUARD 5

We got a really awesome fight scene this episode between Hajiki and Katana. Also I don't know if it was just me, but the characters expressions were much more detailed during the last few scenes. Made the interactions have much more impact.
339dfd3f637363ec70d3b6230ed1ff15.jpg

My only complaint with the show so far is that I find it to dark. Some moments need more brightness.

Get back to 100%ing Hollow Knight!

Man, Scum's Wish is legit great. And not even like "Oh, the pedantic melodrama surrounding the tonal decadence of this anime is shallow and pedestrian, but it's okay I guess for being shit" great. I mean like, it is a fucking good show and would be AOTS if Konosuba and Rakugo weren't in the same season and even then it's making a good fucking case for itself.
Nah dawg, I don't even have the energy to deal with the true ending final boss lmao. Amazing game, but a certain bug broke my heart and I now only think of my tears when I return to that game

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (Subtitled) Episode 78 – The Ultimate Tag Team?! Judai and Edo (Part 1)
C59OtTgWMAA6Phi.jpg:small

Thats a great use of their naming convention. A duel for heroshipping is pretty funny because its odd how Edo has to consider his own motivations for pleasing Seio but it end up causing him to end up losing his usual composure as he ends up occasionally getting annoyed at Juudai,. I love when they started and he whined to Juudai about getting the moon to advance one phase, and then Juudai had to be like he'll make it up to him next turn. Its so good having Edo actually involved instead of just huddled in his trailer. Manages to save this arc which kind of got a bit silly once Manjoume ignored those that helped him rise to greatness after his fall/

KraytarJ

Scum's Wish 08 - Mugi gets FUCKING SWINDLED

Can't beat the succubus.
The first scene with that hat I had to rewind to be sure I actually saw that. Then I had to take a minute to process the fact that Ecchan was wearing a Scum's Wish hat. Why the fuck does she have that? Why have such a weird title drop when you've already done one earlier that was far more natural? Really draws your attention from the budding incest.

Picking up my switch tonight. Office mate/coworker will have to do the line.

Gonna Zelda so hard Anime will seem like a distant memory

All the praise Zelda is getting kinda makes me wish I had preordered a Switch, but at the same time I really can't justify getting it for just a single game right now. Now when Zelda and Splatoon 2 are both out... well then.

YGO 5D's Episode 74

I really want a high speed racing anime with good character design. The high speed consecutive turns on the Duel runner was pretty amazing. I was actually gripping my mouse as Yusei was attempting to do it too, when his fingers started to loosen...wow.

Cornbread78

Absolute Duo ep.10-END
Not too much I can say about the show and how it all played out. The final battle was total asspull after asspull, but it was pretty fun to watch at least. The series wasn't that bad in the end, but the tone felt all over the place until it settled on a more dark and serious tone later.

A few notes:

- While a couple girls liked the MC, there is no harem
- There is no romance
- There is no character development
- Clearly part of a larger story; Typical LN finish
- Nice aesthetics
- Characters very tropey, but not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom