• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand anime fans. Litrally begging and and condemning amzn for not putting up onihei, then when it comes, complaining that its ugly and bad and probably dropping it at ep1. What even?

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 8
Another Haruka episode.
It shows how hard she works for her dreams how far she is willing to go.
I also like how the other Precures supported her in thier own ways. Good stuff.

The fight scene was pretty neat as well. No sure why mermiad and Twinkle couldn't just jump over that little barrier, but whatever.

Branduil

It takes guts to make an anime as aggressively hideous as Hand Shakers. I almost feel like it's the result of a bet about who can get away with making the most deliberately ugly show ever.

Hand Shakers 01

Is this like...an attempt to make an anime that the viewer would observe with a VR helmet on? Because that is the thought that crossed my mind before I dropped it shortly after the class president's tits went crazy while she was listening to music.

kewlmyc

I dpkt understand anime fans. Litrally begging and and condemning amzn for not putting up onihei, then when it comes, complaining that its ugly and bad and probably dropping it at ep1. What even?

I don't think it's irrational to want a company to upload a series that they have exclusive rights to on time; or at least be consistent with its upload schedule. Yeah, it might turn out that you end up not liking the show, but you would have never known if it wasn't uploaded to the streaming service. Plus the way Amazon treated previous shows like "The Last Passage" have people on edge with Amazon right now.

Cornbread78

Hand Shakers 01

Is this like...an attempt to make an anime that the viewer would observe with a VR helmet on? Because that is the thought that crossed my mind before I dropped it shortly after the class president's tits went crazy while she was listening to music.

Oh, so you didn't even make it to the antagonist's female companion's crotch being stomped on by him to push out more power....

The show was terrible and didn't explain anything, nor follow any kind of logical narritive..

zulux21

rwby season 1

the first half of the season was decently charming and oddly felt a bit like a more action focused my little pony (even had a few jokes that seemed to reference MLP)
the first half of the second half was just bad and I will leave it at that.
the last half of the second half though was back to being decent. the animation isn't great, but the choreographing for fights is pretty decent and the voice work isn't bad.

I was surprised to see the main character from the now cancelled scalebound game made an appearance in the show (and seems to be more of a main character in the second season but I haven't gotten super far in that season)

overall not a bad watch I would give it 3.5/5 Hanamaru kindergarten x Narutos

Cornbread78

Gabrial Dropout ep.1
iU3FffP.jpg

Ok, that was a lot funnier than I was expecting. It's always fun when you have a cast of characters in reverse roles, or are just complete a$$holes to one another constantly. Hopefully, this one stays fun for the season.

Ascheroth

Oh, so you didn't even make it to the antagonist's female companion's crotch being stomped on by him to push out more power....

The show was terrible and didn't explain anything, nor follow any kind of logical narritive..

Nah, that was in the first 4 minutes already. I didn't even manage to get as far as SliceSabre.

Shout out to whoever named the town in LWA "Brightonbury". I mean, all they've done is take an actual town name (Brighton) and apply the "-bury" naming convention to it, but it's cute and sounds legitimately English.

Hellraider

Monster Hunter Stories - 14

(Actual spoilers below)

So at first they killed Cheval's mom and now they killed Rathalos. Was Urobuchi credited somewhere and I missed that?

Qurupeke

Fune wo Amu 6
A better love story than anything on CR's list... Really loved how subtle, but at the same time prominent, the romance was on Majime's character arc and his decision to finish the dictionary.

BluWacky

Shout out to whoever named the town in LWA "Brightonbury". I mean, all they've done is take an actual town name (Brighton) and apply the "-bury" naming convention to it, but it's cute and sounds legitimately English.

It's not Brightonbury, is it? In the pamphlet that Akko reads it says "Blytonbury" - I assumed it was a play on Enid Blyton, famous children's author.

I kind-of assumed it was supposed to be a riff on Glastonbury, given the link to leylines etc.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 39

Kira's fate was ten times more satisfying than Dio's in Stardust Crusaders. While there may not have been a ROAD ROLLER DA in terms of ridiculousness, all the main characters (sans Rohan) using their Stands to stop him at the last moment made for genuinely great conclusion.

Diamond is Unbreakable is easily better than Stardust Crusaders in every way. It may not have had the grandiose adventure aspect that I loved in Stardust, but the little things like the reoccurring characters, the Morioh landmarks and the whole murder-mystery nature of the latter half of the show made up for it and more.

AOTY (though I'm still putting Thunderbolt Fantasy at number 1. Also I'll see if this holds after I finish Mob Psycho).

Akiba Strip Episode 2 engdub

So will never get a Tomozu strip? Sad, though maybe they can at least have more of his clothes be ripped, leaves much to be desired based on what happens with other characters.

Silly episode and I love how silly the cast is together. Dub makes it a blast.

It's not Brightonbury, is it? In the pamphlet that Akko reads it says "Blytonbury" - I assumed it was a play on Enid Blyton, famous children's author.

I kind-of assumed it was supposed to be a riff on Glastonbury, given the link to leylines etc.

Oh, I didn't catch the name on the pamphlet. It's on the art board for the station, but Akko's head blocks that sign in the episode itself:

JOQkCYJ.jpg

I guess they changed it? The children's author angle certainly makes sense.

Bakemonogatari - END
So that was a series. I kinda liked it even though I wasn't turned into a fan. Loved the many openings this had. Will pick up the next monogatari series (Nisemonogatari I guess) at some point, but will watch something else for a while before that.

Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club ep.1
Lmao at the segment in the end. What is live action doing in my anime.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Gabriel Dropout was alright, but still felt like a lesser Himouto.

Standout parts were when she discovered the mmo (which made no fucking sense), was tempted by the micro-transaction, and the parts with Red Head Satan-chan.

That part about the micro-transactions was perfect.

I want more scenes of her playing mmo's.

Andrew J.

Can anyone help me with some recommendations?

I haven't watched anime since late high school early college, which is almost 10 years ago for me now. I subscribed to Funimation and then transferred to Crunchyroll to watch all of Dragon Ball/Super.

Now I want to keep my Crunchyroll subscription to keep up with Super, but to get my value I feel like I should watch *something* else.

Things I've liked in the past, in no particular order:
+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Naruto, for the beginning of it
+ Gurren Lagan first arc before kid grew up
+ Azumanga Daioh
+ Fullmetal Alchemist (only saw original show)
+ many other things I've long since forgotten

Please nothing "moe" or whatever. Otherwise I'm open to anything you could give an exciting pitch for.

If you liked Excel Saga, check out Binbougami-ga! and Space Patrol Luluco. And finish Gurren Lagann!

John Blade

I guess I will try to watch Madlax as my second alternative anime to watch. I guess if anyone have something to warmed me about this show do tell but I did watch NOIR and was okay with that show.

Cornbread78

Nanbaka S2 ep.2:
Hey this episode was actually pretty damn funny as they reintroduce Hajime's lil' "bro" as well as follow the cell 13 gang. Poor little bro being used and abused like that, lol.

duckroll

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episodes 07-08

Not bad. CG dragon is very CG though. I wish the adventure had more dungeons and less.... roads. It feels like most of the adventuring so far is just traveling on roads and then stopping somewhere and talking. I preferred the earlier episodes which had ruin exploration, puzzles, mob fights before boss fights, etc.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
One Week Friends Episode 1 and 2

I didn't even know this anime existed and was surprised to see that it was recently made.

How do I hold all these feels?

Would have been interesting to go into this blind without even knowing or seeing the title.

What happens on a leap year?

Happy Birthday BGBW.

One Week Friends Episode 1 and 2

I didn't even know this anime existed and was surprised to see that it was recently made.

How do I hold all these feels?

Would have been interesting to go into this blind without even knowing or seeing the title.

What happens on a leap year?

First seven or so episodes of that show were so good.

Shame about the rest.

Qurupeke

Happy Birthday BGBW!

Also, I read this article on the latest Monogatari novel.

No surprise that the series is not ending and another arc starts soon.
But Araragi becoming a cop doesn't sit right with me.......

Thud

Can anyone help me with some recommendations?

I haven't watched anime since late high school early college, which is almost 10 years ago for me now. I subscribed to Funimation and then transferred to Crunchyroll to watch all of Dragon Ball/Super.

Now I want to keep my Crunchyroll subscription to keep up with Super, but to get my value I feel like I should watch *something* else.

Things I've liked in the past, in no particular order:
+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Naruto, for the beginning of it
+ Gurren Lagan first arc before kid grew up
+ Azumanga Daioh
+ Fullmetal Alchemist (only saw original show)
+ many other things I've long since forgotten

Please nothing "moe" or whatever. Otherwise I'm open to anything you could give an exciting pitch for.

You should check:

Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars)
Nichijou
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
My Hero Academia
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)

and the Yotsuba manga.

Oh, I didn't catch the name on the pamphlet. It's on the art board for the station, but Akko's head blocks that sign in the episode itself:

I guess they changed it? The children's author angle certainly makes sense.

It's anime, they probably put the wrong romanization on the pamphlet.

JulianImp

Sakamoto stopped being funny after a few episodes.

Yeah. Gag series like it probably work better for one-offs or 3 to 5-minute episodes, because "Sakamoto's awesome and all attempts to undermine him fail spectacularily" is something that I just can't be bothered to watch for a whole 21 minutes every week.

Maybe OPM would be the exception for me, but even then I don't think I'd follow another series like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom