• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 1
vt8Ttt9.jpg
yMGqWhG.jpg

7YYGRLs.jpg
E3UA61h.jpg
I've been really excited about Maidragon and it delivered. Tohru is super fun, the jokes are on point and it looks really good. I love how super detailed the dragon is and the contrast between her forms. And really liked the scene on the bed, even though I doubt they'll delve deep into this. I was afraid that it would end up as another Phantom World, but it may be a lot better than that. It's actually very different to the usual KyoAni shows, a lot more "soft" art and tons of cute and funny faces. Also props to it for having a woman programmer.

So... the opening was good, but definitely the most weird one I've seen from KyoAni.

MSMrRound

Akiba's Trip 2

A little more muted compared to the first episode, but not too bad.

Coming up next week..

OH MY GOD I RECOGNIZE THAT POOL.

Chaos;Child 0 (Chaos;Head Recap)
That feeling when Silver Link's 20 minute recap episode ends up better than Madhouse's 12-episode adaptation. Not like that would be hard to do, and it still isn't even that good standalone, but I'm getting massive nostalgia from it. Feel like replaying the VN now.

Happy Birthday BGBW!

Also, I read this article on the latest Monogatari novel.

No surprise that the series is not ending and another arc starts soon.
But Araragi becoming a cop doesn't sit right with me.......

Happy Bday BGBW

Excuse me

What

?

Araragi being a cop makes perfect sense...both his parents are cops and his sisters are massive justice fiends, and Araragi can't stay out of other peoples business.

Qurupeke

?

Araragi being a cop makes perfect sense...both his parents are cops and his sisters are massive justice fiends, and Araragi can't stay out of other peoples business.

I don't really argue about that, it's definitely the most fitting job for him. Considering his background with Shinobu, Hachikuji and loli Hanekawa though, I have trouble imagining him as a cop.

Drago Meido - 01

lPq8n3X.gif

I enjoyed it. Lots of fun expressions and I got a laugh out of some scenes. Open door into big fucking dragon face is creme de la creme

Also some of the flashback made me think of Shinbo

PK Gaming

Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon 1

Wooow, that was fun. The anime didn't just do the source material justice, it massively improved on it. Like damn, I don't think I can even go back to the manga anymore. I wonder how much they plan on adapting? They already burned through 4 chapters, so I figure they'll get pretty close to the manga.

Also happy birthday BGBW.

Taruranto

HBBGBW!

Fune wo Amu 6

A better love story than anything on CR's list... Really loved how subtle, but at the same time prominent, the romance was on Majime's character arc and his decision to finish the dictionary.

Yeah, no. They talked like 2 times by the time that scene takes place.

Qurupeke

HYeah, no. They talked like 2 times by the time that scene takes place.

There are definitely some pacing issues, but I'd say this applies to the whole show, and it doesn't diminish the romance that much.The individual scenes, even if you can count them on one hand, are very strong and there's actually some logical progression to their story. I suppose it could have been done better, but for a secondary plot, I'm satisfied.

Yona of the Dawn
-Fantasy adventure

Your Lie in April
- drama tear jerker

Fate/Zero
- Fantasy Adventure/death hame

Sword Art Online
- Stuck in an MMO; the one and only SAO

Aderamin of the Sky
- Military/Fantasy

91 Days
-Prohibition mob story

Blast of Tempest
- Fantasy, mystery

Blue Exorcist
-shounen, comedy, action

Golden Boy
- classic comedy (sophmoric/ ecchi)

Re;Zero
- fantasy, adventure, despair

Konosuba
- laugh your ass off ecchi comedy/parody of fantasy/mmo stuff.

Usagi Drop
- drama, SoL.

You recommend Your Lie in April but not Clannad. Oh Cornbread...

Not even a single KEY show...

(This is a good recommendation list.)

It's anime, they probably put the wrong romanization on the pamphlet.

True enough.

On a similar note, the Vol. 1 BD packaging currently reads "Welcom to the show!".

Drago Meido - 01

Also some of the flashback made me think of Shinbo

Takemoto actually did work with Shinbo at his purest, on SoulTaker, where he directed, storyboarded, and did key animation for a couple of episodes. The influence is definitely possible.

Oh! Happy Birthday BGBW!

Just looked at them and man those CR awards, I think the only things I voted for that won were best battle and best action, coincidentally both Mob winners. And Erased winning in best villain but losing in most heartwarming scene is hilarious.

That's the one that got me. I was, like, "Come on. The Erased scene is literally the best thing about the show. You monsters!" LMAO

Mob Psycho 100 - 1

Well shit.

This is gorgeous. and funny. but really gorgeous.

Funny enough, I didn't really start getting into the show until episode 4 I think. So nothing but up from here.

after i finish toradora again what's some nice drama that will make me laugh but also will just punch me in the heart over and over again

although actually to me some degree of my love of toradora was because i didn't actually know it was a drama going in, so... maybe asking for recs is a bad idea

eh probably not

Nope. You asked and you have probably watched all the shows I would recommend... :/

Clannad, Kanon 2006, Your Lie in April, Erased...

Hold on let me keep checking MAL to see what I watched...

Once more unto the breach, good friends

Toradora 22 -rewatch-

*snip*

Was great to see you go into so much detail into one of my personal favorites: Toradora. Would love to see someone do this for Clannad or Your Lie in April. I should do it but I am so damn lazy. Maybe one day...

KraytarJ

MaiDragon 1
I was a little worried about this one, it didn't really sound interesting and KyoAni had a rough year in 2016 but through one episode it was good. I have to give special shoutout to the fact that Kobayashi and Takisha regularly meet up to talk about maids. Anyways, good start let's hope it keeps this up.

There are definitely some pacing issues, but I'd say this applies to the whole show, and it doesn't diminish the romance that much.The individual scenes, even if you can count them on one hand, are very strong and there's actually some logical progression to their story. I suppose it could have been done better, but for a secondary plot, I'm satisfied.

I think some people were expecting the romance between Majime and Kaguya to be the central plotline of The Great Passage and so were disappointed when it didn't receive the dominant focus.

Takemoto actually did work with Shinbo at his purest, on SoulTaker, where he directed, storyboarded, and did key animation for a couple of episodes. The influence is definitely possible.

Other people have made that Shinbo connection with Takemoto in the past, such as in his work on Hyouka and the visual symbolism and abstractions it sometimes engages in.

phaze

Aoi Bungaku 11

It feels like there were tidbits of interesting theme woven round here but sadly it's saddled under lackluster story (apparently anime original) and mediocre direction. At least the hell visuals looked pretty great.

Aoi Bungaku 12

Better. Much better even though it's the same person on the storyboards. A tale of court painter brought to desperation and madness because of despot monarch.

----

A hit and miss show really but the Asaka and Nakamura arcs alone make it worthwhile and even the rest of them, okay, outside of episodes 7-8, has some interesting things to offer be it visuals or script.

Firemind

They also made them maids which is like a double insult. I hate meidos. What's the attraction of frilly dresses and hats? It's so silly!

Jarmel

Banned
Kobayashi's Maidragon-1
I didn't find this to be particularly good. It lacks the energy of a number of other Takemoto comedies and is closer to something like Lucky Star. The show, like a number of other shows this season, is structured as a 4-koma in that there are a number of somewhat separate sequences that are tangentially connected. This didn't bother me so much in Gabriel but here I kept wondering why this wasn't a short. It's a shame too as I could have easily seen this being worked as a more continuous series. The writing doesn't feel particularly snappy and I just checked the source material and this is a relatively similar adaptation in that they pretty much lifted all the jokes and scenes from the manga.
I found the art direction to be the strongest aspect of the show as it has a cartoony art to it, something KyoAni hasn't really done in awhile. It's just that they could do more with this and it feels relatively safe.

Jex

after i finish toradora again what's some nice drama that will make me laugh but also will just punch me in the heart over and over again

although actually to me some degree of my love of toradora was because i didn't actually know it was a drama going in, so... maybe asking for recs is a bad idea

eh probably not

Clearly you should watch the prequel - Kare Kano.

zulux21

Can anyone help me with some recommendations?

I haven't watched anime since late high school early college, which is almost 10 years ago for me now. I subscribed to Funimation and then transferred to Crunchyroll to watch all of Dragon Ball/Super.

Now I want to keep my Crunchyroll subscription to keep up with Super, but to get my value I feel like I should watch *something* else.

Things I've liked in the past, in no particular order:
+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Naruto, for the beginning of it
+ Gurren Lagan first arc before kid grew up
+ Azumanga Daioh
+ Fullmetal Alchemist (only saw original show)
+ many other things I've long since forgotten

Please nothing "moe" or whatever. Otherwise I'm open to anything you could give an exciting pitch for.

skip beat great comedy with some romcom stuff.
food wars it's like yakitate but more serious and more ecchi (still a good watch though)
Hanamaru Kindergarten sorta like azumanga, just more adorable and with younger kids :p

*Thinks about other shows people likely didn't list lol*

Cornbread78

Rage of the Bahamut; Genesis ep.10
L8Nzi5V.jpg

It was all a lie... One big fat lie and now the world is doomed. What an evil bastard to do that to the poor girl in an adult body... Music was excellent in this episode, but
Beezelbub's henchman
was an annoying twat that I wanted to smack.

Qurupeke

Also, while DEEN managed to make Rakugo S2 as good looking as S1, this isn't the case on Konosuba. At all. Not sure if it's deliberate or not, but it looks really off sometimes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon 01
It's pretty lame. Dumb otaku focused gags that don't really have much of an internal perspective, so you mostly just get citation of nerd culture instead of anything that feels personal to the humor. Even during the opening sequence I found myself just kind of going, "is this over yet? This has to be longer than a minute and a half." Without the animation touches it would just be a very dry show. Maybe an expanded cast would help a little but I really doubt it. From an objective standpoint the comedy is like actually abysmal, where the source material just fails to return to anything that gets set up. As an example when you get the burglars breaking in is the punchline just that she turns into a big dragon that scares them away? There is a nudge by the episode as Kobayashi is going home and the burglars are filing a complaint to the police, but the joke does not really come full circle in any way.

Also, while DEEN managed to make Rakugo S2 as good looking as S1, this isn't the case on Konosuba. At all. Not sure if it's deliberate or not, but it looks really off sometimes.

Are you sure that's different from the first season? Kikuta's designs and animation approach deliberately emphasize off-kilter, deformed, what some would call "derpy" art and animation.

Jarmel

Banned
Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon 01
From an objective standpoint the comedy is like actually abysmal, where the source material just fails to return to anything that gets set up. As an example when you get the burglars breaking in is the punchline just that she turns into a big dragon that scares them away? There is a nudge by the episode as Kobayashi is going home and the burglars are filing a complaint to the police, but the joke does not really come full circle in any way.

Yea that was in particular, trash. I feel a better scriptwriter would have set that up for some joke at the end of the episode instead of just immediately using it. It's not funny or clever when you use it immediately like that and the delivery of the punchline is so meh that I shook my head. There were a number of jokes that could have been used in a smarter manner that actually took advantage of the longer format compared to the source material.

phaze

Planetes 15

You know, Hachimaki&Tanabe are awful people.

Captain Earth 15

Seems like I judged too fast earlier on as the rising drama was nipped in the bud. And boy was that triple kiss a sight to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom