• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episodes 05-06

Erm. What? That seemed like a huge waste of time? I don't understand the point of this at all, other than promoting a game that was coming out. Even then, it feels really weird to wreck the pacing of the actual series you're making to do this. What was the point of this even? It tells me nothing about the world or characters of Beseria. It doesn't feel remotely conencted to Zestiria in any way. I don't... understand. It's two episodes down the drain for nothing. What's the context even? Are the games even related? This must be how it feels for Hulu views when ads keep popping up during a movie...

0/10

Cornbread78

Erm. What? That seemed like a huge waste of time? I don't understand the point of this at all, other than promoting a game that was coming out. Even then, it feels really weird to wreck the pacing of the actual series you're making to do this. What was the point of this even? It tells me nothing about the world or characters of Beseria. It doesn't feel remotely conencted to Zestiria in any way. I don't... understand. It's two episodes down the drain for nothing. What's the context even? Are the games even related? This must be how it feels for Hulu views when ads keep popping up during a movie...

0/10

"Here is the storyline for the first hour of our game coming out; git hyyype and buy it"

They are in the same world 1,000 years apart (Berseria before Zestiria) with very loose connections; this was Berseria marketing..

0/10

I think Berseria is supposed to be a prequel to Zestiria.

duckroll

I think Berseria is supposed to be a prequel to Zestiria.

Okay but there's no way to tell at all. It just feels like they took a two week break on the show and randomly aired two episodes of some other series instead. I don't even know what Besaria is about after watching two episodes of that. Awful.

MSMrRound

Erm. What? That seemed like a huge waste of time? I don't understand the point of this at all, other than promoting a game that was coming out. Are the games even related?

Yep, it's definitely a very blatant tie-in for the game that's coming out and like what others have mentioned, Berseria is linked to Zesteria (think of Zesteria as current-timeline, while Berseria's story was set in the past)

It gave us a few nice scenes, but that's about it. Lol. Oh hey let's randomly jump back to Zesteria stuff now!

Oh..and Velvet is still there in the opening for the second season...maybe another appearance via flashback or something?

KraytarJ

Just looked at them and man those CR awards, I think the only things I voted for that won were best battle and best action, coincidentally both Mob winners. And Erased winning in best villain but losing in most heartwarming scene is hilarious.

3Kaze

Contrary to Symphonia -> Phantasia, Berseria has direct connections with Zestiria. Same setting, different words : daemon/hellion, malak/seraphim, exorcist/shepherd (not really, just human with magic potential).
But yeah it was really out of place, they just should have done a 1 hour special episode like they did with Zestiria before its release.

C11b3_NPVEAAlr.jpg

...I feel like I could convince people Hand Shakers is a bad Vita game...

Hand Shakers 01

What the fuck was that? No.

Gabriel DropOut 01

Its like if Himaru had redeemable qualities. Plus, Satan girl is adorable. I think I'm gonna like this show.

Chain Chronicle 01-03

Ehh... not really feeling it. Gave it 3 episodes and I don't really care for it.

elDLIVE 01

Probably a no based on the character designs alone. I can't tell if they were going for an anime in the 90s feel or if its just bad.

duckroll

Contrary to Symphonia -> Phantasia, Berseria has direct connections with Zestiria. Same setting, different words : daemon/hellion, malak/seraphim, exorcist/shepherd (not really, just human with magic potential).
But yeah it was really out of place, they just should have done a 1 hour special episode like they did with Zestiria before its release.

Errrrrrrrrm. Symphonia is literally the origin of the Phantasia world and the origin of all the creationist myths. You can't get more direct than that.

3Kaze

Errrrrrrrrm. Symphonia is literally the origin of the Phantasia world and the origin of all the creationist myths. You can't get more direct than that.

Well, perhaps I could have worded that differently. Despite knowing that Symphonia leads directly to Phantasia, and that they share many things in common, it feels like loose connections to me. Probably because ~4000 years is a bigger gap, meaning a lot of things changed since.

I thought it was going to be the same with Berseria but after playing the game, I learnt that everything is linked to Zestiria. Not sure why they needed Zesty the X to show that.

One Piece Film Gold

That was really good. About on the same level as Film Z or Strong World.

One Piece is in the point of its life where Luffy is butting heads with the strongest characters in the world, and its only a year or two before he ends up fighting a Yonkou 1v1 and winning. This means that for movies (even ones that aren't canonical) you can't just keep pulling enemies on his level out of total thin air. Gild Tesoro is still strong, but the movie manages to give him the upper hand in the first two-thirds of the movie because of his underhanded nature, and its pretty well done. I found it kind of odd - but not unwelcome -
that a major character in the movie was from Nami's past. Their history together is good though.
The movie briefly turns into a heist movie, which was a pretty neat sequence. All the crew gets some good moments, but seems like somebody on the team likes Franky a lot. Which is cool, Franky is cool.

Tesoro might not be on the same level as Z, but he's a good villain for a one-off movie. What little backstory they try and give him isn't necessarily needed as I thought he was entertaining on his own with an interesting ability. His crew consists of a musclehead masochist, Fortune from MGS2 and a dude who can no-clip. They're fine for movie villain mooks. There's a cowboy gambler dude and he's alright too.

The movie looks really good and there's a lot of good animation and effects during the fight scenes and comedic moments. It's not way out of the ordinary for a One Piece movie, but you won't feel bored looking at it. I appreciated the design of the Island and most of the characters, if you don't count the women but One Piece is a lost cause for that. I had to stop myself from laughing when the villains get golden armor and the girl gets bikini armor.

Just one minor spoiler-y complaint -

I don't know why Lucci (and Spandam) and Sabo were included in this movie. I kept waiting for them to do something and they really don't. They fight for 10 seconds then Lucci just leaves. Neither of them meet anyone in the crew, except Spandam who has a scene with Luffy for 1 minute and then never shows up again. Maybe they want to make the movie feel more connected to the series by including small scenes with Akainu or some Celestial Dragons but ehh...Aokiji was used far better in Film Z.
I did enjoy how Wanze from Water 7 appeared in a brief cameo. That's fine.

Onihei Episode 1

Soooooo, this was pretty bad. It's not a good sign that I would describe an episode where a dude gets a nail in the foot as flat, but it was. (Easily the most bloody show of the season.) Onihei is a show that doesn't have anything to really sink your teeth into. The two leads, two men who live on the complete opposite sides of the law, don't have any presence. The show gives you very little insight into their thoughts beyond threadbare little things, so it's hard to feel much when the introductory conflict crawls to an end at the end of the episode.

Onihei Episode 1

Soooooo, this was pretty bad. It's not a good sign that I would describe an episode where a dude gets a nail in the foot as flat, but it was. Onihei is a show that doesn't have anything to really sink your teeth into. The two leads, two men who live on the complete opposite sides of the law, don't have any presence. The show gives you very little insight into their thoughts beyond threadbare little things, so it's hard to feel much when the introductory conflict crawls to an end at the end of the episode.

Also, if it wasn't for GoHands raising the bar with Hand Shakers, Onihei would be the ugliest show this season. I think DR MOVIE's animation itself is OK (good job Maruyama, found a new studio but farm out all the animation to Korean outsourcing) but everything around it, the garish colors, the clumsy composite, the mediocre backgrounds, the really questionable CG crowds, just look awful. I wasn't prepared.

duckroll

Well, perhaps I could have worded that differently. Despite knowing that Symphonia leads directly to Phantasia, and that they share many things in common, it feels like loose connections to me. Probably because ~4000 years is a bigger gap, meaning a lot of things changed since.

I thought it was going to be the same with Berseria but after playing the game, I learnt that everything is linked to Zestiria. Not sure why they needed Zesty the X to show that.

I dunno, I can't really relate. I'm a HUGE Phantasia fan, and I bought ToS on the GC based on that premise alone, and towards the end of ToS every moment was OMG OMG OMG OMG for me. I was young... and easily impressed.

Instro

Onihei Episode 1

Soooooo, this was pretty bad. It's not a good sign that I would describe an episode where a dude gets a nail in the foot as flat, but it was. (Easily the most bloody show of the season.) Onihei is a show that doesn't have anything to really sink your teeth into. The two leads, two men who live on the complete opposite sides of the law, don't have any presence. The show gives you very little insight into their thoughts beyond threadbare little things, so it's hard to feel much when the introductory conflict crawls to an end at the end of the episode.

Also, if it wasn't for GoHands raising the bar with Hand Shakers, Onihei would be the ugliest show this season. I think DR MOVIE's animation itself is OK (good job Maruyama, found a new studio but farm out all the animation to Korean outsourcing) but everything around it, the garish colors, the clumsy composite, the mediocre backgrounds, the really questionable CG crowds, just look awful. I wasn't prepared.

I appreciate people doing the hard work of reporting back on terrible shit that I can avoid.

Szadek

I appreciate people doing the hard work of reporting back on terrible shit that I can avoid.
You should probably skip Spiritpact as well and so should everybody else.
Well, unless of course you happen to be DTL, in this case it's probably a 10/10 masterpiece for you.

phaze

0/10

The point was the hawt, masked magician.

sonicmj1

Rakugo? Oh you mean Descending Stories.

Now excuse me while I go out to eat "longevity directors." I should be back before "night center."

Wait, that's what they're doing with that title?

I get the need to find a title English speakers will actually remember, but that's Attack on Titan-level bad, albeit in a totally different way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Perhaps he doesn't find those types of shows moe, after all, moe is a personal thing, meaning its safe to recommend him similar shows.

Therefore I suggest:

YuruYuri
Kill Me Baby
Mitsudomoe
Three Leaves, Three Colors
Chronicles of the Going Home Club

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait, that's what they're doing with that title?

I get the need to find a title English speakers will actually remember, but that's Attack on Titan-level bad, albeit in a totally different way.
Some Nisio level wordplay there.

Is Descending Stories bannable yet?

Jintor

after i finish toradora again what's some nice drama that will make me laugh but also will just punch me in the heart over and over again

although actually to me some degree of my love of toradora was because i didn't actually know it was a drama going in, so... maybe asking for recs is a bad idea

eh probably not

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
after i finish toradora again what's some nice drama that will make me laugh but also will just punch me in the heart over and over again

although actually to me some degree of my love of toradora was because i didn't actually know it was a drama going in, so... maybe asking for recs is a bad idea

eh probably not
Ano Natsu?

Jintor

Once more unto the breach, good friends

Toradora 22 -rewatch-

Cat's out of the bag now. Seriously, Kugiyama's voice acting is so fucking good here. Ryuuji flashes back to the dramatic bits of last episode and then cuts right back to real life, where he interrupts a future planning session - a decision-making session, you might say. Minori looks down. OP.

Ryuuji is looking down on the roof (sky grey as you might expect). Kitamura lets them do some exposition - Tora's still out of school recovering and Ryuuji hasn't been able to get in contact - and then Ryuuji makes him promise to tell Taiga, when she gets back, that he was the one who rescued her. That seems like a terrible plan since everybody else knows otherwise, but okay.

Those Two Guys try and get Ryuuji's mind of things by going to a sick ramen joint where comedy occurs. Everyone is talking about their future, even Minorin, who has taken on another job, but Ryuuji says he might not even end up going to college. (The 'ikimen' joke here is a pun about noodles, 'men', and 'cool guys', or 'ikimen'). Nothing dramatic comes out of this bit but note that Minorin is keeping busy which seemingly helps her take her mind off things.

Ryuuji wanders home and looks up at Taiga's empty apartment.

PhCOYwc.png

Who's caged here, Taiga or Ryuuji?

Back at home, Ya-chan tells her son not to worry, he can do what he wants! He shouldn't worry about college's costs, because Mum wants him to have the best education possible. Ryuuji considers work, but Ya-chan tells him she doesn't want him to work when he could be out there getting a real education instead.

Ryuuji reflects on what a super-mom Ya-chan always has been.

ox4u00m.png

I love that they managed to make kid Ryuuji still kinda look frightening even when he's crying.

"Super happy, forever and ever...?" he muses while looking out at Taiga's empty window.

qd3dyhB.png

I really like this shot. It's a pretty basic contrast-draws-the-eye sort of thing but it says a lot without Ryuuji having to draw the direct connection.

Minorin runs into Ryuuji the next day and assures him that Taiga's probably fine, since she's heard she gets along well with her mother. Kitamura pops by to tell them she's now captain of both combined Softball teams AND got that new ramen job, making Ryuuji question her decision-making.

zZjH0zZ.png

You know when you can tell that characters have shifted from empty patter to making profound statements? It's like that.

Ami pops by to pointedly ignore Minorin and snark at Ryuuji.

WmqVo34.png

By this point in the story Ami basically exists to make pointed comments at Ryuuji

Ami is waiting in her usual place and looks disappointed when (I've yet to figure out why she likes the spot between the vending machines so much. She said she likes being hemmed in before...). Minori starts telling her ghost stories, which actually freaks out Ms Perfect for a bit, before she starts linking it back to her overarching Ghost/Love metaphor.

LTzhgVR.jpg

PeeSMkB.png

Not that Ami knows or cares about her ghost metaphor.

There's a bunch of different ways to take Minori's declaration here. She doesn't want to take a chance on something she's not 100% certain on when there's something solid in front of her... of course, Ami just points out that if she hadn't done anything, they'd all still be spinning their wheels, and walks off.

Minorin yells after her. "My mind is clear! I'll make my own decisions! I'll settle everything!" Ami's expression here is unreadable, but clearly negative, as she thinks to herself over the mid-episode card: "Shut up".

Just like in the first episode Yuri-sensei is talking to Ryuuji about his career plans, and Ryuuji still hasn't made a decision (though this time Yuri isn't absolutely freaked out by Ryuuji).

8V0HuvI.png

Permitting oneself to express one's own 'want' can be a difficult thing, both in terms of careers and in love.

When he gets home he finds Ya-chan has gotten a new job unexpectedly, and immediately blames himself (probably accurately), reflecting that Ya-chan said that life had no meaning if they couldn't eat together. The haunting piano starts up as Ryuuji literally packs away his love for Minorin back into a box we haven't seen for like 21 episodes.

R49LhZ6.png

It's over. It's done. Pack it up Minorin, Ryuuji's finally made his decision.

"There's nothing embarassing about love," he muses, before freaking out a little about whether or not he can tell Taiga. And then...

oyviLUA.png

Toradorable.

zCv9LNK.png

Suddenly previously normal physical slapstick is totally awks. I love how close the camera is here - you can feel the casual intimacy has somehow turned into something more on both ends.

Taiga turns up, tells him she was just skipping school while being pampered by her mum, and needs to break into her apartment. It is hilarious to see Ryuuji basically acting like he's around Minorin during his crush phase, except it's with Taiga, so it's simultaneously hilarious and adorable.

6v3glAe.png

Just pile on the sap.

Taiga spots Ryuuji's box and misinterprets, telling him that she's sure that he and Minorin can still get together - but now that Ryuuji knows Taiga's true feelings, he knows she's deceiving him in spite of her own feelings. He can't decide how to feel. Then she tells him she dreamt she babbled a bunch of stuff to Kitamura when he rescued her.

nMIknn0.png

Taiga has her back to Ryuuji this entire scene.

OfOmlrn.png

I love this shot too. Taiga's all-white coat really is a striking visual decision that is never really explained, but it draws the eye in this wonderfully framed picture. Rare that Taiga has the high ground over Ryuuji, as well.

Ryuuji tells her that she was unconscious the whole time and didn't say a word, and Taiga looks relieved. As she draws the curtains closed, Ryuuji thinks to himself: Taiga, you are such a klutz.

---

Ya-chan sacrificing for Ryuuji's sake and Ryuuji sacrificing for Ya-chan's sake is a familiar motif of mutual sacrifices that get nowhere since neither party actually wants to talk things out, but have decided they know what the best thing to do is in a given situation. Ami, meanwhile, is still pissed that everyone is still clinging to their masks. She's had enough. She just wants things to come to a head. And yet she can't face her own feelings either; every admission she's made to Ryuuji can't help but come out like she's just messing with him, and she's pissed at anything that reminds her of herself.

At first glance this episode seems like a reset (again) because, once again, everyone is falling back into familiar patterns. But characters now know things about other characters that drastically changes how they interpret once-familiar actions. Taiga pushing Ryuuji towards Minorin is no longer, to Ryuuji, an act of friendship but now an act of self-denial which he can't understand. The stage is set. Three episodes left. How much melodrama can we generate?

Next time on Toradora: Valentine's Day.

ACCA13 - 01

I quite liked this. A decent amount of moving parts were smoothly introduced and all of them appeal. I can’t disagree about the graceless exposition at the beginning regarding ACCA's establishment and function, but I liked much of the storyboarding and thought the production was very solid. I’m reminded of the job Silver Link did on Tanaka-kun; understated, good work, that’s virtue is more in consistency than stand-out sequences.

There is often a depth and density to the compositions and blocking. The characters are well situated in their environments, and the people in the background are frequently animated and relevant to the scene:

Particular effort was made to make the characters of HQ feel like a friendly group by consistently placing all or most of them in the frame together (they even gather to greet Jean on Anime Skype). For some additional efficiency, the top right shot here has different threads in the background and foreground, with Jean's consideration of his new schedule transitioning into a scene discussing it with the boss after he walks off from right to left:

Many of the compositions display Jean's calm in direct contrast to those around him, even in the company of his superiors. He's very well established as composed and enigmatic; a good opposition to Grossular, his similarity to whom is touched on by one of the 5 heads of ACCA. The top right shot here is a twofer:

This post is already too image heavy, so to quickly mention the dutch angles: I felt they all had purpose (the first couple, for example, are a pair, visually contrasting home/work and lending a dynamism to the opening), though they were perhaps overused. That said, there is a top-down shot early in the episode that lacks the purpose of later examples when Jean is being surveilled, and instead seems to be there for variety and to break up the denser, more animated shots; anime storyboards are rarely completely free of resource conserving though. So not perfect, but I think there is a lot to like here, without even touching on Kugai's designs or Pablo's backgrounds.

What is this
Hand shakers

Literally, what is this?!!

This moment is pretty funny for how unsynchronized are foreground and background. Background animation (buildings passing by) implies they are moving at a speed three or four times faster than their rolling in the ground animation seems to show.

90's Polygons

Also, I want to use this to ask: what's the weird fixation of mechanical clockwork-like gear in some animes?

There is something very wrong here, but you can't see it. You need to hear it: there are no sound effects here, even if the MC is depicted flying through buildings and attacking with his powers or something.

Holy shit, don't fly the camera through the face of a character!!!

wait, a bland MC with a perk to fix mechanical things in school... is he a copy of fucking Shirou???

Edit: ok last one:
Not only the chain scenes are hilarious because they clearly clash with BOTH backgrounds AND characters, in some scenes they seem to clash in between them. It's something more noticeable in movement, it gives the feeling they rendered each chain individually in 3d and then composited it the 3 chains together (and backgrounds and the rest) in the video editing software.

kewlmyc

Yep, it's definitely a very blatant tie-in for the game that's coming out and like what others have mentioned, Berseria is linked to Zesteria (think of Zesteria as current-timeline, while Berseria's story was set in the past)

It gave us a few nice scenes, but that's about it. Lol. Oh hey let's randomly jump back to Zesteria stuff now!

Oh..and Velvet is still there in the opening for the second season...maybe another appearance via flashback or something?

They're probably going to try an tie it back to the world of Zestiria at some point this season. *vague non-major spoilers for Berseria*
Maybe by animated the ending of the game or something since parts of it tie directly into Zestiria.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssasssss

Onihei Episode 1

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom