• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never played the game...

I played for a good 10hrs I wanna say. Until
Sorey becomes friends with the thief girl?
I think around there I stopped simply because it just wasn't clicking with me. So far the anime is presenting the story in a way that is pretty captivating to me. It works really well as an animated show.

duckroll

I played for a good 10hrs I wanna say. Until
Sorey becomes friends with the thief girl?
I think around there I stopped simply because it just wasn't clicking with me. So far the anime is presenting the story in a way that is pretty captivating to me. It works really well as an animated show.

What's the difference between the game and the anime so far? I wouldn't mind a comparison commentary since I find that sort of thing interesting!

What's the difference between the game and the anime so far? I wouldn't mind a comparison commentary since I find that sort of thing interesting!

So far I have watched up until the end of episode 1. Basically the game starts
with Sorey going to explore the ruins.
Everything before that, including the whole prologue weren't in the game (as far as I remember, maybe I was just so brain dead that I don't remember seeing it??) So it all makes a lot more sense. Like, how
Alisha fell down the rubble. In the game she is just there and you find her with no prior context really lol.
So they are adding scenes that make sense while driving the main plot from the game forward. Now this could completely change over the course of the next few episodes, but I've read impressions and it seems that the story is handled much better here. Basically, if you wanted to play Zestiria just for the story, you may was well watch the show instead.

kewlmyc

So far I have watched up until the end of episode 1. Basically the game starts
with Sorey going to explore the ruins.
Everything before that, including the whole prologue weren't in the game (as far as I remember, maybe I was just so brain dead that I don't remember seeing it??) So it all makes a lot more sense. Like, how
Alisha fell down the rubble. In the game she is just there and you find her with no prior context really lol.
So they are adding scenes that make sense while driving the main plot from the game forward. Now this could completely change over the course of the next few episodes, but I've read impressions and it seems that the story is handled much better here. Basically, if you wanted to play Zestiria just for the story, you may was well watch the show instead.

From what I seen, the anime really starts to branch off after the Berseria advertisement episodes.

Ai Mai Mi: Surgical Friends 02

o6zy9vF.png

This show is fun.

giphy.gif

Zestiria - 02

No differences from the game here. A bunch of scenes added here and there and a bigger focus on Alisha were put in place. I know Tales is anime af, but I am actually pleasantly surprised by just how good this is as a fantasy type show.
Helps that it looks great.
From what I seen, the anime really starts to branch off after the Berseria advertisement episodes.
Oh cool, good info to have!

thefil

Can anyone help me with some recommendations?

I haven't watched anime since late high school early college, which is almost 10 years ago for me now. I subscribed to Funimation and then transferred to Crunchyroll to watch all of Dragon Ball/Super.

Now I want to keep my Crunchyroll subscription to keep up with Super, but to get my value I feel like I should watch *something* else.

Things I've liked in the past, in no particular order:
+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Naruto, for the beginning of it
+ Gurren Lagan first arc before kid grew up
+ Azumanga Daioh
+ Fullmetal Alchemist (only saw original show)
+ many other things I've long since forgotten

Please nothing "moe" or whatever. Otherwise I'm open to anything you could give an exciting pitch for.

Hand Shakers 1

So I was expecting much much worst from what people here were saying, but I do agree they abused on CGI and the lens/brightness could be tone down a bit. I mean something on K level? I never had any problem with that, but Hand shakers effects was a little hard on the eyes.

We did not get much out of the story, so not much to say here.

The one thing that did annoy me and make me laugh at other times were the boobies giggle physics and love moaning from that black hair girl. Seeing that prez giggling her boobies to the music gave me a good laugh, but god damn did that black hair girl annoyed me to no end.

I like the character designs so I guess that lets me forgive more stuff.

So yea an ok episode. Probably going to stop it a one episode tho. I only really watched it because AnimeGaf hated it with a passion.

Going try ACCA next.

I haven't watched anime since late high school early college, which is almost 10 years ago for me now. I subscribed to Funimation and then transferred to Crunchyroll to watch all of Dragon Ball/Super.

Now I want to keep my Crunchyroll subscription to keep up with Super, but to get my value I feel like I should watch *something* else.

+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Azumanga Daioh

Please nothing "moe" or whatever. Otherwise I'm open to anything you could give an exciting pitch for.

Since you seem to like shonen stuff, I recommend checking out Noragami, Assassination Classroom, Twin star exorcist, Blue exorcist and if you want to try a sport shonen anime Haikyu is amazing!

If you want to branch out a little, Poco's Udon World and Barakamon will melt your heart with there sweetness.

For a more mystery show maybe Psycho pass and Occultic;nine

Gundam Iron Blooded orphans is also excellent and well worth your time.

Other then that, classic Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood recommendation.

Edit: Other amazing option get VRV or funimation and watch My Hero Academia!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Azumanga Daioh

Hmmm. Well I can't very well jump you right into Konosuba.

Have you watched or heard of Shokugeki no Soma aka Food Wars?

Try My Hero Academia.

Holy shit, a GoldCrusader recommendation post where he didn't recommend My Hero Academia.

He said recommendation for Crunchyroll silly! If he had not specified that you could be sure I would have made it the #1 recommendation.

Speaking of that CR really needs to had My Hero Academia to their anime list so things like this never happen again!

+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Azumanga Daioh

If you're ok with a really long show One Piece is great (though you should probably read the manga instead of watch the anime).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He said recommendation for Crunchyroll silly! If he had not specified that you could be sure I would have made it the #1 recommendation.

Speaking of that CR really needs to had My Hero Academia to their anime list so things like this never happen again!

If he has like $3 extra a month he could get VRV which has all of Crunchyroll and Funimations stuff.

duckroll

+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Azumanga Daioh

Cancel Crunchyroll, save the 20 bucks or whatever. Buy Sword of the Stranger on blu-ray. Watch 50 times.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Fafner in the Azure: Dead Agressor 13

cool, a lot of questions aswered, a good part of it made sense, very good.
Poor Maya though,i don't think she's gonna make through the next episode.

Cornbread78

+ Excel Saga
+ Yakitate Japan
+ Azumanga Daioh

Yona of the Dawn
-Fantasy adventure

Your Lie in April
- drama tear jerker

Fate/Zero
- Fantasy Adventure/death hame

Sword Art Online
- Stuck in an MMO; the one and only SAO

Aderamin of the Sky
- Military/Fantasy

91 Days
-Prohibition mob story

Blast of Tempest
- Fantasy, mystery

Blue Exorcist
-shounen, comedy, action

Golden Boy
- classic comedy (sophmoric/ ecchi)

Re;Zero
- fantasy, adventure, despair

Konosuba
- laugh your ass off ecchi comedy/parody of fantasy/mmo stuff.

Usagi Drop
- drama, SoL.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Side Despair 10

This was...painful to watch to put it lightly.
Seriously what is with this show and killing its good characters in horrible ways?
In this case they drag it out for the entire second half of the episode.

Oh yeah and the way
the DR2 students turn to despair is stupid and breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.

ACCA 1

This could be interesting, but the writing is painfully clunky in the way it dumps data about this fictional world on us. "As you know" is a phrase that should never be said or written by anyone, anywhere, anytime. I'd rather just have a narrator explain things to us than put exposition in the mouths of characters who have no business delivering exposition to each other. The art direction and colors are easy on the eyes, but the storyboarding isn't particularly strong, with an overuse of meaningless Dutch angles. The character art is mostly fine, but feels somewhat inconsistent, and even highly animated moments feel janky in their motion. I stand by my feeling from the trailer that the whole production seems undercooked, despite having a solid base to work off of. There's some plot threads simmering under the surface that could be interesting, such as the friction between different officials, the string of fires, and the rumors of a coup, so I'll keep watching for now, I guess, but this first episode was not especially compelling.

jgminto

Oh man...

I can live with this.

Not the worst choice.

Oh no... I foresee what the rest of this list is going to be...

Kiznaiver girl got robbed!

Naturally on everything.

Oh God...

Are you F***ing kidding me!?

Finally, an award where everything fell into place where it should. All three of these were in my top ten of the year.

Need to go lie down, because all of these are just so bad.

Konosuba got robbed! ROBBED! So did Tanaka-kun.

Can't really argue with this. Good job.

Should've been Erased or Mob Psycho!

What is happening...?

Not hard to see that happening.
Nothing wrong with the YoI wins aside from Animation and OP.

thefil

Thanks for all the recommendations, I added many of them to my list.

I opted not to subscribe to VRV simply because it doesn't make sense to me to spend $3 more when one service will certainly have more than enough for me since I'm so out of the loop on anime. I generally only keep one of Netflix/HBO Now/Hulu/other active at a time :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom