• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardfight!! Vanguard 26 (engDub)
tumblr_mg7x0lxPQG1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Team Cesar is pretty col but I could do without the history lesson on Ceaser, what a dull subject. More hilarious was Miwa actually participating in dancing with Morikawa for the Ultra Rare concert and then yelling at the micman and etc, he's hilarious, Morikawa too (even if he is embarassing).
Poor Kamui running away from Team Q4 cause of Kais too cool attitude, he better come back and friendship renewed with them all, though technically he is the weakest link as at the regionals, he lost on the team

IXION SAGA - 13

Man that episode was fantastic featuring the best girl of 2013 so far !!!

Ixion%20Saga%20DT%20-%2013.jpg

what ?? wait ! ...

I laughed from beginning to end .. really the best episode of ixion saga no doubt ...

I hope stalker-chan will appear in other episodes because seriously she was perfect.

Ixion saga voice work is really incredible.. the change of voice some characters do are trully unexpected and matches perfectly with the action

Kurita

Preface: I'm not a big anime guy. It's always intrigued me but I've never really gotten deep into it.

I just finished up Sword Art Online and absolutely fell in love with it, though I wrongly assumed that it was an ongoing series and there would be more episodes every week.

So... I have this Crunchyroll membership and I figure I may as well put it to good use for a couple of months.

Naruto and Bleach seem to be pretty popular on there, and they both seem interesting.

Are they worth a watch?

I am also open to suggestions on anything else that's on Crunchyroll that's worth a watch. :)
Space Brothers

Any particular order for watching Minami-Ke?

Descriptions keep talking about being done by different studios and adaptations, so not sure if they were doing the same material.

Chaos;Head 12 END

Going to finish up Nisemonogatari then try K-On!!

I find K-On tastes even better if you watch something really dark before it. May be you should insert a light hearted romp in between Nisemonogatari amd K-On like Future Diaries, Madoka, Darker than Black, Code Gease or even Bokurano... man those feel-good animes.

BluWacky

Seeing as the film still isn't out in English, I wanted to revisit Rainbow Fireflies to show people what the film's like from an art perspective now I can be bothered to take a few screencaps, and maybe talk a bit more about why I didn't really care for the plot.

Art Stuff

The film deliberately aims to evoke nostalgia in the Japanese audience. The film's set in the late 70s and not wishing to face the future is a major theme of the film - represented most clearly by the dam project that will flood the village in a few week's time that sets the "time limit" for the events that take place.

Perhaps I only really notice stuff like this because I live in England, land of eternal cloud cover, but virtually every day time scene is drenched in beautiful sunlight. The colours are bright and super-saturated, the grass is lush, the sun sparkles on the water... it's all very beautiful to look at. Light, unsurprisingly, is used very effectively in the film - the myth of the "rainbow fireflies" is of course used to pretty spectacular effect a couple of times in the film, but even the more normal night-time scenes use light interestingly. Compare, say, the festival at the end of Hotarubi no Mori E to the festival sequence here, and the atmosphere here is much more effectively conveyed. One of my favourite shots is the one below, where the movement of a firefly is reflected in a character's eyeball.

(I have realised you can't really see that here, but screw it, it looks pretty cool)

Some time ago someone linked one of the Shinya Ohira segments of the film on YouTube. For sakuga fans, purely from a technical viewpoint the two sequences which are obviously his are beautifully executed, but they are completely at odds with the look of the rest of the film. Hisashi Mori's character designs are very vaguely defined; faces are large blobs of colour only vaguely hemmed in by edges, and the clothes are generally blocked out in the vaguest detail, whereas Ohira's scribbled shadows, realistic faces and jerking animations almost overcompensate for that. Perhaps you can make something of this choice in terms of the story - in this sequence late in the film, (HUGE SPOILERS)
Yuuta, the main character, is dragging Saeko away from the festival, where she has been waiting for her dead brother to appear, to go and see the fireflies. He's just given her a motivational speech about moving on, accepting his death, and returning to the future and wake up from the coma she's in.
Maybe the realism here reflects the return to "reality" of the sequence. But I think I'm stretching a bit to justify something I wasn't very fond of.

In contrast, observe the following GIF (first GIF I've ever made, apologies if it looks rubbish):

niji_zpsb20fdcfe.gif

The animation "flows" from pose to pose interestingly. It looks quite unnatural to me, but it's a very interesting technique (used throughout this whole sequence of the film, but the rest of it doesn't spend so long in close up), and I think much more in keeping with the rest of the film's animation. Anyone more knowledgeable than I know who animated this sequence?

Plot Stuff

The film ostensibly deals with nostalgia and moving on - Yuuta ends up through various circumstances transported back in time to the late 70s and a summer vacation that will end when the village he has travelled to is evacuated to be drowned by a dam project, and he needs to get over the death of his father in a road accident. However, the film somehow ends up being far more about Saeko, a little girl who lives with an old lady in the village who believes that Yuuta is her cousin come to visit. Saeko, you see, has a secret...

HONKING GREAT SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU CARE ABOUT THIS FILM

Yuuta overhears Saeko crying at night for her brother to come and help her - but everyone says that she doesn't have a brother... turns out Saeko is also from the future, in a coma in hospital. The accident that killed Yuuta's father killed her brother and almost killed her. She believes that if she sees the rainbow fireflies in the village she'll be able to see her brother again!

So eventually, Yuuta convinces her to stop living in the past and she goes back to the future at the end of the film, with lots of tears and string music. The epilogue to the film takes place in the present, where Yuuta comes back to the village for a bike rally and camps out to hopefully see the fireflies. Turns out Saeko is there, grown up and BLIND!!!!, but through the power of pre-adolescent love and magic fireflies she regains her sight...

The story to me comes across as overly sentimental. Yuuta is an incredibly bland male lead, and the narrative deliberately diverts focus away from him onto Saeko for maximum weepiness - this is why I described it as "KEY-esque" previously. The other characters barely rise above cliches - the outgoing, tanned friend; the wise old folk - and there's little sense of consistent chemistry between them. The more mystical elements, although animated beautifully, seem too inevitable.

Compared to another film of last year, where Wolf Children succeeds in appealing to all audiences, Rainbow Fireflies basically fails by being mawkish instead of endearing. The storytelling feels contrived with a "twist" for the sake of melodrama, and the characterisation is generally lacking. That's where it really fails - because as an animation and art showcase it's usually fantastic.

OreImo 1-4

Guess this will be another one of those "Why didn't I watch this sooner?" series. Love it so far. The interplay between all of the characters, particularly Kuroneko and Kirino, has been fantastic. I do like Manami quite a lot as well :D. Going to burn through the rest of this rather quickly it looks like.

Ixion Saga DT 13

Kobayashi as a yandere stalking weaponmasters love-struck girl? Awesome. Just pure awesome.

Also, very cool that we're getting character versions of the OP and ED it seems, with a Kon version OP and a Elekpyle version ED.

cajunator

Banned
OreImo 1-4

Guess this will be another one of those "Why didn't I watch this sooner?" series. Love it so far. The interplay between all of the characters, particularly Kuroneko and Kirino, has been fantastic. I do like Manami quite a lot as well :D. Going to burn through the rest of this rather quickly it looks like.

Yeah Kuroneko is fantastic.
The magic of Hanazawa.
Manami is the perfect waifu too.

OreImo 1-4

Just a word of warning. There are two ep 12s.
The True Route version properly leads to the OVAs (ep 13-15).

Ore no Imouto is interesting moe fun anime

Steroyd

Ixion Saga DT - 13

Bwahaha the OP cracked me up with Kon singing that very terribly.

Yandere psycho stalker chick being in shoujo mode all the time was damn funny.

cajunator

Banned
She is a great figure.
Very cute.
I preordered her so fast...just saw the gothic maid catgirl outfit and hit the purchase button.

/XX/

So ANN lists Yutaka Nakamura as having worked on the final episode of Eureka Seven: AO.
Is that a mistake? I don't remember anyone mentioning this and it would probably be kind of a big deal.
As Tomoki Kyōda himself confirmed (this specific 'tweet' was removed since then):

http://twitter.com/kyoda_contact/status/277483597684953089 said:
V3に反撃するニルヴァーシュのバルカン発射あたりから、見たらすぐ解りますがメカカットは中村さんの担当。タイミングが本当にカッコいい。流石です。

Yeah, he did (focus on the effects animation of the water for those consecutive cuts)... and that episode was really kind of a big deal in general for all the names involved and 'circuses' galore and all that jazz... the problem is that many of those that could have commented about that in here were trying to forget about this series already!

The animation "flows" from pose to pose interestingly. It looks quite unnatural to me, but it's a very interesting technique (used throughout this whole sequence of the film, but the rest of it doesn't spend so long in close up), and I think much more in keeping with the rest of the film's animation. Anyone more knowledgeable than I know who animated this sequence?
Not more knowledgeable 'per-se', but I can answer; in fact I also commented about that in reply to you here http://vanishingtrooper.wordpress.c...the-sakuga-and-animation-of-2012/#comment-645, because I thought you were referring to that precise cut with your comment about its "flow". That scene's key animation was worked on by Shinji Hashimoto.

A certain magical index 7 - 12

Well Accelerator is the best character ever but why so little screentime. I hope he stays central to the plot and gets more time. Kind of like his voice as fortunately its not one of the common typical funidub va's and feels like someone relatively new. Also those epic skills and what not.

I wish index was more popular as it seems its really lacking on the fanart side, or at least for Kamijo and Accelerator, unless they just never meet up, which is unfortunate. I like Kamijo's friends but they just not present anymore, well in the remedial class.

Arc with Dark Blood was interesting, that whole showdown and getting his arm ripped out while bluffing and doing that dragon arm move, so cool.

BluWacky

Not more knowledgeable 'per-se', but I can answer; in fact I also commented about that in reply to you here http://vanishingtrooper.wordpress.c...the-sakuga-and-animation-of-2012/#comment-645, because I thought you were referring to that precise cut with your comment about its "flow". That scene's key animation was worked on by Shinji Hashimoto.

Oh, thank you! I didn't get a notification of any responses to my comment there so I didn't see that. Thank you for pointing it out and for letting me know!

Cwarrior

magi 12

magi12.jpg

yeah, i think you forgot something really important!!! i mean, it was bad enough that it was missing in episode 11 but if you're gonna flashback to that then AT LEAST REDRAW THE FUCKING ARMS

magi49.png

Yeah, I've heard people say this a lot but I'll just end up powering through it anyway. :>

It's sad to see how little to no respect the anime team has for the source material, the interview duckroll posted prior to it's airing showed early worrying signs(director wishing it was some moe crap) but this and the really bad voice casting choices make it even more clearer the anime team don't give damn about what their adapting.

If only it was handled by the bleach team and it's director Noriyuki ABE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom