• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

Haven't watched the whole thing, but while it's fresh on my mind, did anyone else think that they were going to burst into the Red Dwarf theme when those chords played at the end of the first song in AKB0048?

Not until you just mentioned it, but now I'm going to hear that every time I hear that song now. Thanks!

Theonik

WW2 tanks just sitting around this ship, is there a history to this world or is it like this just to have this imaginary set up? actually I would be interested to know why/how things are the way they are. The instructor was on a M1 Abrams tank, far more modern.
Not an M1 Abrams. One of these.
I originally thought it was a Leopard myself till someone here showed me this.

sonicmj1

I don't deny that, theoretically, things could improve but I don't see why I should believe they might when they didn't even bother to set up the characters in a believable manner. I mean, when your set up is: "The Demon Queen loves the Hero for unspecified reasons and then persuades him to join forces with her by bouncing around and talking faux-macro economics. The Hero, as yet, has no established personality" then I don't feel like you have much to work with.

All the impressions of the show I've read have been: "Cute demon girl", "Meat etc", "Female Knight" and "Economics". That's because there's very little to say about the characters and story because they don't exist in any tangible form. It's a vehicle for discussion about Macro Economics.

You're probably more likely right than I am, but it's not so offensive that I'd feel bad wasting another 40 minutes on it.

Theonik

Just to provide a counterexample to any possible hivemind theories, I enjoyed Jinrui throughout. Maybe I just have more tolerance for that kind of thing.
Apart from the Pion arc. (which wasn't bad just wasn't as good as the rest of the stuff) I also enjoyed it throughout.

Narag

Crying Freeman 3

LcmE2l.png

Hey, more Crying Freeman. There's some brief recap and a weird aside about his wife being kidnapped followed by Freeman interrupting a plane hijacking. The terrorist group gets revenge and Freeman gives up his life to work as a hair stylist:

Ok, maybe not. He gets revenge in bloody fashion, nails some girl, and accidentally seduces the successor of the terrorist group.
She appears out of nowhere after his fight with the big bad, completely nude, and manages to cut him pretty badly. He fights her to a draw and pops her nipple in her mouth as he warms her icy heart to the point she takes mercy on him after he passes out, instructs her men to save his life, and helps him recover before sending him back home.
You can't make this shit up. Said character actually spends more of her majority nude rather than clothed. Even in her last scene, she's naked again.

Xvglml.png

Crying Emoman

vJkuQ.png

Even a knife tattoo can't go without getting licked. This show

1J9djl.png

There's a Bayasan sighting too. [kinda NSFW?) Maybe a little much of her. What's hilarious is this is out of fucking nowhere. She's totally clothed in the scene before this.

Second half about Freeman's wife and a demon blade or something snoreworthy aside from
her naked sword dance which was apparently beautiful enough to quell the raging hearts of the criminals out for revenge for the death of their three comrades. In fact when Freeman shows up, they start chanting his name. What the hell?
She's not really compelling on her own and it certainly showed here.

The ep was structured with the beginning meant to test the love of Freeman and his wife with the two halves split to give each their own independent adventure with them coming together at the end stronger than ever. The problem was it was so damn heavy handed to the point that when Freeman finally gets back to his wife, a Chinese woman comes out of nowhere to observe how the Tiger is calling out to the Dragon as he arrives by hang glider.

So far this is something that existed better as a memory as seeing it now is kinda rough. I've no idea how far I'd gotten in the show when I watched it back in the day but all these repressed memories will surely resurface and let me know. As it progresses, it gets increasingly out there not that the initial virgin potter becoming assassin premise was all that grounded to begin with.

Has there ever been any other hotly anticipated manga turning to anime that has disappointed its fans when finally airing? Only this show comes to mind at the moment but I'm sure there are much more.
HxH 2011 seemed to disappoint fans at its start, there was so much negativity.

Soul Eater and BLue Exorcist probably did disappoint going the filler route at the end.

cajunator

Banned
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 01

Demon King is soooooooo cute!
Sososososososososo cuuuuuuute!
I would prefer her with a bit less :chet but beggars cant be choosers.
She's adorable <3
Oh and I kind of like the matter of fact way she explains the reasons behind the war with superiority and confidence like Holo.
This show really does feel a bit like Spice and Wolf in that regard.
Demon girl is spitting knowledge like a motherfucker!

Milamber

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 01

Demon King is soooooooo cute!
Sososososososososo cuuuuuuute!
I would prefer her with a bit less :chet but beggars cant be choosers.
She's adorable <3
Oh and I kind of like the matter of fact way she explains the reasons behind the war with superiority and confidence like Holo.
This show really does feel a bit like Spice and Wolf in that regard.
Demon girl is spitting knowledge like a motherfucker!
It's all about the economics to me.

axt6I.gif

cajunator

Banned
It's all about the economics to me.

axt6I.gif

True thats really what they are pandering here, but honestly I like the whole war background thing and how she explains it to the dumbass Gary Stu with such dominance. He just sits there like "wat" and she cutely walks around just talking about the how's and why's of everything. It really is Spice and Wolf 3.

Crying Freeman 3

Hey, more Crying Freeman. There's some brief recap and a weird aside about his wife being kidnapped followed by Freeman interrupting a plane hijacking. The terrorist group gets revenge and Freeman gives up his life to work as a hair stylist:

Ok, maybe not. He gets revenge in bloody fashion, nails some girl, and accidentally seduces the successor of the terrorist group.
She appears out of nowhere after his fight with the big bad, completely nude, and manages to cut him pretty badly. He fights her to a draw and pops her nipple in her mouth as he warms her icy heart to the point she takes mercy on him after he passes out, instructs her men to save his life, and helps him recover before sending him back home.
You can't make this shit up. Said character actually spends more of her majority nude rather than clothed. Even in her last scene, she's naked again.

Second half about Freeman's wife and a demon blade or something snoreworthy aside from
her naked sword dance which was apparently beautiful enough to quell the raging hearts of the criminals out for revenge for the death of their three comrades. In fact when Freeman shows up, they start chanting his name. What the hell?
She's not really compelling on her own and it certainly showed here.

The ep was structured with the beginning meant to test the love of Freeman and his wife with the two halves split to give each their own independent adventure with them coming together at the end stronger than ever. The problem was it was so damn heavy handed to the point that when Freeman finally gets back to his wife, a Chinese woman comes out of nowhere to observe how the Tiger is calling out to the Dragon as he arrives by hang glider.

So far this is something that existed better as a memory as seeing it now is kinda rough. I've no idea how far I'd gotten in the show when I watched it back in the day but all these repressed memories will surely resurface and let me know. As it progresses, it gets increasingly out there not that the initial virgin potter becoming assassin premise was all that grounded to begin with.

This anime is great and very much a product of its time. It's pulpy action coupled with adult but shallow subject matter in what I find to be an interesting story. Of course there are plenty of ridiculousness to its premise but it's in places where you can really raise a valid argument in. For example: Just because you lost your virginity far earlier than Freeman did and you never learned how to make fancy pottery doesn't make you more apt to become an assassin. In fact, maybe that's what it takes but you'll never know now. And the fact that you didn't have the wall flower of a rich mans daughter just waiting for you with unconditional love and your own submarine shouldn't make you jealous of Freeman... you just can't roll like him is all. Yeah... its either dumb or silly but suspension of disbelief is required for the show bugu-nagu (...I wanted to rage so bad at the creators for this episode but I had to look past the their silly ignorance to continue enjoying the show).

cajunator

Banned
I really think Maou will be one of my favorite characters this season. She's so incredibly likeable and I'm not referring to her :Chet although I'm certain plenty will appreciate her for that alone. but she's no dumbass. She is adorably sweet. However she is also obviously not against this war for the purposes outlines earlier. She knows the war has a lot of advantages, even to humans, so I wouldnt expect her hands to be clean by the end of this. But she's an otaku at heart <3

Narag

This anime is great and very much a product of its time. It's pulpy action coupled with adult but shallow subject matter in what I find to be an interesting story. Of course there are plenty of ridiculousness to its premise but it's in places where you can really raise a valid argument in. For example: Just because you lost your virginity far earlier than Freeman did and you never learned how to make fancy pottery doesn't make you more apt to become an assassin. In fact, maybe that's what it takes but you'll never know now. And the fact that you didn't have the wall flower of a rich mans daughter just waiting for you with unconditional love and your own submarine shouldn't make you jealous of Freeman... you just can't roll like him is all. Yeah... its either dumb or silly but suspension of disbelief is required for the show bugu-nagu (...I wanted to rage so bad at the creators for this episode but I had to look past the their silly ignorance to continue enjoying the show).

I think I still have the Streamline VHS tapes in storage some place back when it was new. This is like Violence Jack all over again where I'm checking stuff out with a fresh set of eyes and finding nostalgia doesn't line up with memory. I'm sort of nervous as I want to check out other stuff I used to watch now that I can look at this a little more critically as I'm curious how my opinions might have changed!

Hunter x Hunter 61
tumblr_mg79d34pJQ1rxfdc5o1_500.png
tumblr_mg6vuoUPJ81qzk4cro1_500.png

Greed Island seems fun in concept
no rule against player killing in towns?
, loved the action and
dark serious mode killua
there.

Probably is like their best friendship moment of the arcs that had them since 50+ weeks ago, I think. Really touching how they have he same thoughts though if Killua would tell Gon.

cajunator

Banned
Ren Kougyoku is every bit as adorable as I thought she was gonna be. How much more of her will we see in Magi? that wasn't enough! Shes so preciously yandere.

Hunter x Hunter 61
tumblr_mg79d34pJQ1rxfdc5o1_500.png
tumblr_mg6vuoUPJ81qzk4cro1_500.png

Greed Island seems fun in concept
no rule against player killing in towns?
, loved the action and
dark serious mode killua
there.

Probably is like their best friendship moment of the arcs that had them since 50+ weeks ago, I think. Really touching how they have he same thoughts though if Killua would tell Gon.

Why would they put rules like that when every player could cheat them thanks to their habilities ?

Anyway episode was good but i don't recall biscuit voice to be like that in the oavs ... did they change her voice ?

Steroyd

Random Minami-ke question... but is it me, or do their mouths look weird some times? Not rice bowl Magi weird, but different from the normal anime mouth.

The triangle mouth phenomenon. I love it.

Triangle mouths? Just feels like a Minimi-ke thing.

Don't forget pentagonal to.

Anyway episode was good but i don't recall biscuit voice to be like that in the oavs ... did they change her voice ?

I think they've changed everyone's VA, the only one you'd notice straight away would be Hisoka, in the original Gon was voiced by the person who now does Naruto in Naruto.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru 01

How generic can this show get!? I can finally say that I am giving up watching all this harem shi...

http://i.imgur.com/VJo5g.gif[IMG]

On second though, I've decided to give this show a chance.[/QUOTE]

Producer 1: People are complaining anime has too many panty shots! How do we deal with this problem?

Producer 2: Well, you can't have a panty shot if the girl doesn't wear any panties!

Producer 1: BRILLIANT!

cajunator

Banned
Producer 1: People are complaining anime has too many panty shots! How do we deal with this problem?

Producer 2: Well, you can't have a panty shot if the girl doesn't wear any panties!

Producer 1: BRILLIANT!

Have you watched Maoyuu Maou Yuusha yet? Oh my god she's so cute :D

Minami Ke tadaima - 01

This episode was ...AWESOME

a clear 10/10.

It's such a refreshing way to start the year ...not because minami-ke is funny but because the casting chemistry still works flawlessly to my advantage.
Minami-ke_Tadaima_-_01_00.jpg

This part was really intresting once you realise that even the good part was acting like an evil as if they reached a whole consensus.
Fruthermore , i can't help but to realise that the evil part has "meat" and taller , while the good part is a DFC and small.. the way she sees herself is yet again quite "golden" and teh way she realises something's wrong even more such a treat!

Poor fujioka ... now at this point this is a lost cause ..

Minami-ke_Tadaima_-_01_01.jpg

Not that i have anything against dragon quest ..but isn't the worst spell to cast ?

Well overall , stag bettles everywhere ! And good fun .... minami-ke back !

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru 01

The show is generic haremshit, but I will give it one little compliment. It is nice to see a haremshit where the protagonist isn't a middle of the road loser. At least this protag has a goal (medical school) and spends most of his time studying to achieve said goal. We'll see how long that lasts once women are flashing their commandos at him though. And he isn't completely unperceptive of his surroundings/other's motives.

Main girl is annoying as fuck. The very definition of trying too hard in every way.

Silver haired commando is a cutie though. And manipulative as fuck. As expected from the seiyuu who did Remon-sempai's voice in Ano Natsu. ;P

Metrotab

Banned
more than being regressed to be a 10years old ( complete with a 10 year old atittude ) ???

All phenomena are pretty scary, but getting your thoughts transmitted live as you're thinking them? Fuck that. Not that I'm thinking horrible stuff or anything, but as a rather introvert person I find my personal space and privacy extremely valuable. I'd hate for that to be breached. The desire phenomena is close too, but at least that one you're able to stop yourself.

Kokoro Connect - 15

I find Iori's anger unwarranted. You can't expect a complete personality change to happen without people being curious.

e_i

Minami-ke second season finished! Episode 12 is kind of depressing though.
The boy next door moving away suddenly, but it was nice to see he sent Chiaki a postcard
Nice to also see that even though Kana and Chiaki fight all the time, they really love one another.

Milamber

Minami-ke second season finished! Episode 12 is kind of depressing though.
The boy next door moving away suddenly, but it was nice to see he sent Chiaki a postcard
Nice to also see that even though Kana and Chiaki fight all the time, they really love one another.

Congrats! It's all uphill from here.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Magi - 11

Princess girl is awesome, hope we see more of her in the near future.

Seeing her body Ugo like it was nothing put her at the top of my tier list, below Mor of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom