• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

It's the number of volumes which makes Hyouka expensive to collect. Maybe you were thinking of Nichijou? That was the much more expensive KyoAni series which megabombed. 12 volumes in total, the BDs were going at 7,980yen each, and the DVDs were 6,930yen each. That's basically 10 bucks more than Hyouka was per volume, and with an extra volume to boot.

I guess so. Of course, all anime releases in Japan seems obscenely expensive to me. Some are just more obscene than others.

Branduil

Amnesia 01:

that clothing

those eyes

It's just one more stepping stone to Baccano S2. It's just one more stepping stone to Baccano S2. It's just one more stepping stone to Baccano S2.

*breathes into a paper bag*

Okay.

This is pretty much reverse harem bishounen shit of the lowest order, even if I guess it's not a terribly offensive watch. This pretty much has to be adapted from an otome game because the "motivation" for the lead girl having to interact with all of these color-coded Organization XIII rejects is just too laughably game-like. The lead girl has some kind of SPIRIT AMNESIA where her memories were replaced with some kind of.......pixie shota thing that's trapped in her mind until she remembers who she is, and if she doesn't boost her Social Links with all these hot dudes the amnesia will continue to get worse until she eventually forgets how to breathe and fucking dies. Amazing. There are several images in the OP of some kind of glowing Rubik's cube suspended in LCL and some kind of conspiracy involving an EVIL BISHOUNEN so I think I can expect some entertaining convolution out of this at least.

Basically the only thing making this remotely watchable in the absence of actively shitty characters/narrative is the consistently clean and on-model animation. After several seasons of bombas I don't blame Brains Base for not really trying anymore--it only makes sense to see if the fujoshi well can be tapped since otaku have forsaken them, and the fact that they still buy their anime on VHS tapes means that there's no point in trying too hard to make something look outstanding. As with anything they do, I guess I wish them success insofar as it increases the likelihood of them being able to make something actually good again in the future.

I'm shocked they haven't made more Durarara yet. That one actually sold decently.

Hyouka does suck.

After watching it, just about everything else looks so lifeless by comparison, and leaves me saying "But why isn't this as well made as Hyouka?".

Branduil

Between these two things I'm not entirely sure if there's a joke being played on me or not.

Watching Angel Beats caused cajunator to go blind and now he can no longer appreciate the beauty of Hyouka :(

ibiQlsNrcdJtSk.jpg

duckroll

And the success of Michael Bay is evidence of the death of cinema.

Not that I'm equating the work of that hack with Chuunibyou.

You shouldn't, because anything made by Michael Bay is far more enjoyable and well crafted that the wretched otaku bait garbage that is Chuu2. I'll rather watch Pearl Harbor again than suffer through another episode of Chuu2.

Quasar

You shouldn't, because anything made by Michael Bay is far more enjoyable and well crafted that the wretched otaku bait garbage that is Chuu2. I'll rather watch Pearl Harbor again than suffer through another episode of Chuu2.

I'd certainly disagree. But then I'd probably rate the work of Uwe Boll higher than that of Bay.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
At the very least, even if you end up not liking the characters, the slow progression, or the vaguely pointless mysteries of the week - without which it might admittedly be better off - you've got to at least appreciate the incredible production values.
Chu2 has great production values too and we all know how that turned out. Crisp and clean animation can only take a show so far, and, on the contrary, you can have a show like Jojo, which does very little of that but manages to remain engaging despite its visual weaknesses.
Music, direction, and above all visuals are all superior: it's probably the prettiest tv anime around not named, I dunno, Dennou Coil or something.
Now that's another show for backlog season. Need to finish Nadia first.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Oh man, we can have an episode where we figure out why corn is in Chitanda's poop! Curiosity at its best!
Chuu2 fans and their weird fetishes again.
And their inability to realize that the mysteries themselves are largely irrelevant and mostly only serve to catalyse the characterization.
Chu2 has great production values too and we all know how that turned out. Crisp and clean animation can only take a show so far, and, on the contrary, you can have a show like Jojo, which does very little of that but manages to remain engaging despite its visual weaknesses.
But I hate Chooney. It's an ugly show; both visually and spiritually.

Branduil

Hyouka isn't just crisp and clean animation, though. Even putting aside the writing, Hyouka is far better than Chuunibyou in terms of character design, art direction, photography, direction, and sound design.

Narag

AKB0048: The Next Stage 15

Being an idol sure is tough. Ep started rather weak given how strong it was last week but it picked up in the second half.

Also since people in here like food .gifs:

iAjYLJuuDJEBi.gif

Risette

A Good Citizen
You sure jump to assumptions and conclusions a lot, don't you?
It's not an assumption when you're peculiarly hung up on the intentionally low-key and mundane mysteries -- by all means they are perfect for what the show wants to do with them (driving character study and development) and making passive aggressive comments using them whenever somebody expresses positivity for the show. hth

But yes, I jump to conclusions a lot. Correct conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom