• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

It's not an assumption when you're peculiarly hung up on the intentionally low-key and mundane mysteries -- by all means they are perfect for what the show wants to do with them (driving character study and development) and making passive aggressive comments using them whenever somebody expresses positivity for the show. hth

But yes, I jump to conclusions a lot. Correct conclusions.

I'm not sure if you noticed this, but my post was sarcastic.

Branduil

To think that's from the same studio that gave us this just weeks earlier.

ibsrUFJHMq8bTP.jpg
i7x0BrJF0LaxS.jpg

iBUtUocdYFcVX.jpg
i5LKBFdn4dUwy.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm not sure if you noticed this, but my post was sarcastic.
I don't buy the "sarcasm" get out of jail free card. It's the GAF equivalent of "LOL I TROL U" because admitting to trolling is bannable and calling a post you regret making a troll would be bad.

Thoraxes

I don't buy the "sarcasm" get out of jail free card. It's the GAF equivalent of "LOL I TROL U" because trolling is bannable and calling a post you regret making a troll would be bad.

OK, you got me.

I really do wish for a season 2 of Hyouka where they investigate corn in poop to forward character development because I had some marginal interest in Chuu2 which resulted in scat fetishization leading into other KyoAni series. I w-was just so sh-shy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
OK, you got me.

I really do wish for a season 2 of Hyouka where they investigate corn in poop to forward character development because I had some marginal interest in Chuu2 which resulted in scat fetishization leading into other KyoAni series. I w-was just so sh-shy.
I think you missed the "passive aggressive" part of my post.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Anyway, misaki> Irisu > Chitanda>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the other students>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mayaka.

Take out the "other students" and that's just about how much characterization each of them receive in reverse order.

trejo

It's not an assumption when you're peculiarly hung up on the intentionally low-key and mundane mysteries -- by all means they are perfect for what the show wants to do with them (driving character study and development) and making passive aggressive comments using them whenever somebody expresses positivity for the show. hth

That's fine and all but what happens when the purportedly exceptional character development the show's supporters love to brandish about also feels lacking? These teenagers did not really feel like real people to me and the only time I felt genuinely engaged by their characterization was during the festival arc (until it reverted back to mystery solving, at least) and I've said as much in the past. I don't know about you but when a show can only manage to connect with me for merely a fraction of its run, well, it's difficult to walk away from it with a good lasting impression.

And yes, the mysteries in a show that initially tried to sell itself as a mystery show were a disappointment no matter how much you like to say they don't actually matter.

Jarmel

Banned

Yes the mysteries themselves are low key however due to the amount of time wasted on them, and yes they are wasted, you can't just dismiss them as only driving character study. The film arc is a perfect example where the arc could have easily been shortened and there would have been the exact same amount of development on Oreki's part. The festival arc itself is also somewhat bloated in regards to the main mystery. It's fine if they want to delve into the mysteries on the show but by god, they should have made the core of the mysteries somewhat entertaining instead of exceptionally dull garbage.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's fine and all but what happens when the purportedly exceptional character development the show's supporters love to brandish about also feels lacking? These teenagers did not really feel like real people to me and the only time I felt genuinely engaged by their characterization was during the festival arc (until it reverted back to mystery solving, at least) and I've said as much in the past. I don't know about you but when a show can only manage to connect with me for merely a fraction of its run, well, it's difficult to walk away from it with a good lasting impression.

And yes, the mysteries in a show that initially tried to sell itself as a mystery show were a disappointment no matter how much you like to say they don't actually matter.
It never sells itself as a mystery show and if you feel that way, you're reading the show wrong. The mystery aspect is purely a red herring in the show's construction.

As for the rest, I can't agree nor can I further detail my disagreement beyond that due to the lack of detail you've given me as to why you were disappointed with the character development.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dennou Coil is the prettiest seppuku ever broadcast on TV.
Didn't we get news about a few months ago that Iso was coming back? Maybe as a zombie, but still.

EDIT: I'm noticing the "Hyouka doesn't suck/yes it does" debate is the new "K-ON sucks/no it doesn't" debate from years prior.

Branduil

Yes the mysteries themselves are low key however due to the amount of time wasted on them, and yes they are wasted, you can't just dismiss them as only driving character study. The film arc is a perfect example where the arc could have easily been shortened and there would have been the exact same amount of development on Oreki's part. The festival arc itself is also somewhat bloated in regards to the main mystery. It's fine if they want to delve into the mysteries on the show but by god, they should have made the core of the mysteries somewhat entertaining instead of exceptionally dull garbage.

Jarmel

Banned
It never sells itself as a mystery show and if you feel that way, you're reading the show wrong. The mystery aspect is purely a red herring in the show's construction.

As for the rest, I can't agree nor can I further detail my disagree beyond that due to the lack of detail you've given me as to why you were disappointed with the character development.

Now that's bull. It's very much a mystery show. The amount of detail in regards to setup and the explanations of the mysteries themselves are very much in line with a mystery show.

I do. I absolutely do.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Now that's bull. It's very much a mystery show. The amount of detail in regards to setup and the explanations of the mysteries themselves are very much in line with a mystery show.
Okay but it's still a character study show. The mystery aspect is a pure red herring.

sonicmj1

What was wrong with it? I quite liked it, it rubbed me rather nicely.

Besides the thematic issues people raised before, I felt like Chuunibyou's finale was strangely paced. There were too many climaxes too close together, so the later ones (which were more important) felt less significant.

Hyouka was definitely the more interesting show.

Oh my gosh, you do post in here! Please keep it up, you're doing great so far!

If Moonlight posting in here means more icarus-daedelus-sama, then we need more Moonlight.

Chu2 has great production values too and we all know how that turned out. Crisp and clean animation can only take a show so far, and, on the contrary, you can have a show like Jojo, which does very little of that but manages to remain engaging despite its visual weaknesses.

Now that's another show for backlog season. Need to finish Nadia first.

I can't tell if I think that Hyouka had stronger direction than Chuuni because it actually had stronger direction, or if it's because Hyouka was going for low-key character study while Chuuni was often aiming for either slapstick comedy or melodrama.

trejo

Wikipedia said:
Hyōka (氷菓?, lit. ice cream) is a Japanese mystery novel by Honobu Yonezawa.

Genre: Mystery

As for the rest, I can't agree nor can I further detail my disagreement beyond that due to the lack of detail you've given me as to why you were disappointed with the character development.

I've explained my stance in the past in more detail and I don't feel like doing so again right now. Not to mention that these arguments never really go anywhere and we always go back and forth on the same points so I'm kinda starting to get tired of this particular topic. You just caught me bored enough this time.

If it's of any help to you, I'm gonna give 11.5 a shot at some point and see if that completely changes my outlook on the show as a whole. No promises though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom