• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Who's the rest of the internet? All I see as I look into the horizon are armies are wrong people.

Just covering my ass so that we don't drive a newbie away if he has a bad first recommendation experience!

Has he ever expounded on these?

I imagine that, in his own way, he thinks he has. He mostly just thinks that they don't deserve any success because they had their origins in streaming fansubs and copyrighted content.

Shakugan no Shana II 23

iPtEvxt3neqqZ.jpg

Watch as she disrupts traffic.

Uh huh, average action/WORDS episode. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dresden

Who can hate her?
I've always found it disturbing that one of her moe~ attributes is her tendency to emit 'cute' noises when she's getting beaten by Yuuta. And remember when people were calling Nibutani a 'bitch'? Good times.

As an aside chuu2 vol1 will probably sell twice what hyouka's vol1 did.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've always found it disturbing that one of her moe~ attributes is her tendency to emit 'cute' noises when she's getting beaten by Yuuta. And remember when people were calling Nibutani a 'bitch'? Good times.
Inter-gender violence is moé. Gotta submit them into obedience.

Dresden

7,834 Hyouka
14,458 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!

Just about.

Yeah, even with updated numbers it'll probably hold true. Chuuni definitely exceeded expectations.

*9,455 Hyouka
16,782 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!

At least Hyouka's sales picked up as it went, going against the usual trend.

duckroll

Can't wait for Girls und Panzer Vol1 to destroy everything next week. The new shipments finally went on sale and it's back on the charts! :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Brothers 39
Speaking of afro pugs. Damn, horrible nightmares of two of the worst things ever.

That said, the new OP is easily one of my favourite OPs ever. From the Earth to the Moon was one of the first books I ever read, and the zany style associated with the film fits the tone of SpaceBros perfectly. I hope it encourages some kiddos to read it, too.

Holy FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE KILL HIBITO YOU ARSES. Alternatively, if they do kill Hibito that would be pretty ballsy.

Branduil

At least Hyouka charted, and actually did okay sales. That's more than a lot of good anime from the last couple of years can say.

Well, Hyouka is no doubt a success, especially with the high cost of its volumes. It's just that Chuunibyou does not deserve double or even equal sales.

duckroll

RIP anime

Cause of death: otaku's bad taste

I don't think it's remotely plausible that Hyouka is more profitable than Chuu2 in any way whatsoever. They both contain 2 episodes per volume, Chuu2 is selling almost twice as many copies, and Hyouka is only 4 bucks more for each BD volume, and 7 bucks more for each DVD volume.

Let's do some math:

Hyouka Vol1 tracked sales:
BD - 8,339
DVD - 1,116

Let's round it off to 8.5k and 1.5k for an estimated total shipment.

(8,500 copies x 7,300yen) + (1,500 copies x 6,300yen) = 71,500,000yen (801,794 USD)

---

Chuu2 Vol1 tracked sales:
BD - 14,897
DVD - 1,885

Let's round it off to 15k and 2k respectively like we did before.

(15,000 copies x 6,930yen) + (2,000 copies x 5,670yen) = 115,290,000yen (1,292,851 USD)

---

Since both releases contain 2 episodes each, in terms of video release, Hyouka optimally makes about 400k USD per episode, while Chuu2 makes 650k USD per episode. Please tell me how Hyouka can have any chance of being more profitable.

It is a sad reality that shit sells.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't express disappointment or sadness when an inferior show is performing significantly better than a superior production.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Pugs are cute. Afro pugs are amazing.

On another note, watching MMY makes me want to play Crusader Kings and maybe watch Spice and Wolf.

Branduil

I don't think it's remotely plausible that Hyouka is more profitable than Chuu2 in any way whatsoever. They both contain 2 episodes per volume, Chuu2 is selling almost twice as many copies, and Hyouka is only 4 bucks more for each BD volume, and 7 bucks more for each DVD volume.

Let's do some math:

Hyouka Vol1 tracked sales:
BD - 8,339
DVD - 1,116

Let's round it off to 8.5k and 1.5k for an estimated total shipment.

(8,500 copies x 7,300yen) + (1,500 copies x 6,300yen) = 71,500,000yen (801,794 USD)

---

Chuu2 Vol1 tracked sales:
BD - 14,897
DVD - 1,885

Let's round it off to 15k and 2k respectively like we did before.

(15,000 copies x 6,930yen) + (2,000 copies x 5,670yen) = 115,290,000yen (1,292,851 USD)

---

Since both releases contain 2 episodes each, in terms of video release, Hyouka optimally makes about 400k USD per episode, while Chuu2 makes 650k USD per episode. Please tell me how Hyouka can have any chance of being more profitable.

I had thought Hyouka was selling for some crazy amount more than Chuunibyou, but I guess not.

duckroll

I had thought Hyouka was selling for some crazy amount more than Chuunibyou, but I guess not.

It's the number of volumes which makes Hyouka expensive to collect. Maybe you were thinking of Nichijou? That was the much more expensive KyoAni series which megabombed. 12 volumes in total, the BDs were going at 7,980yen each, and the DVDs were 6,930yen each. That's basically 10 bucks more than Hyouka was per volume, and with an extra volume to boot.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Amnesia 01:

that clothing

those eyes

It's just one more stepping stone to Baccano S2. It's just one more stepping stone to Baccano S2. It's just one more stepping stone to Baccano S2.

*breathes into a paper bag*

Okay.

This is pretty much reverse harem bishounen shit of the lowest order, even if I guess it's not a terribly offensive watch. This pretty much has to be adapted from an otome game because the "motivation" for the lead girl having to interact with all of these color-coded Organization XIII rejects is just too laughably game-like. The lead girl has some kind of SPIRIT AMNESIA where her memories were replaced with some kind of.......pixie shota thing that's trapped in her mind until she remembers who she is, and if she doesn't boost her Social Links with all these hot dudes the amnesia will continue to get worse until she eventually forgets how to breathe and fucking dies. Amazing. There are several images in the OP of some kind of glowing Rubik's cube suspended in LCL and some kind of conspiracy involving an EVIL BISHOUNEN so I think I can expect some entertaining convolution out of this at least.

Basically the only thing making this remotely watchable in the absence of actively shitty characters/narrative is the consistently clean and on-model animation. After several seasons of bombas I don't blame Brains Base for not really trying anymore--it only makes sense to see if the fujoshi well can be tapped since otaku have forsaken them, and the fact that they still buy their anime on VHS tapes means that there's no point in trying too hard to make something look too outstanding. As with anything they do, I guess I wish them success insofar as it increases the likelihood of them being able to make something actually good again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom