• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trying to find ways to get back into anime but still have issues with my vision unable to read subtitles anymore :(

the text moves to fast for my poor vision... still I want something to watch that is new and good.

There must be something that can replace Chobits as my all time favorite by now. Anything this season?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"trying to find ways to get back into anime but still have issues with my vision unable to read subtitles anymore :(

the text moves to fast for my poor vision... still I want something to watch that is new and good.

There must be something that can replace Chobits as my all time favorite by now. Anything this season?"

Watch Tsumiki no Ie. No dialog at all.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I'm the IT Head I can do what I want!

86vUs.jpg

Good mouse pad.

cajunator

Banned
trying to find ways to get back into anime but still have issues with my vision unable to read subtitles anymore :(

There must be something that can replace Chobits as my all time favorite by now. Anything this season?

Well if you love Chobits Im pretty certain you will love Pet girl of Sakurasou.

Risette

A Good Citizen
"It never sells itself as a mystery show and if you feel that way, you're reading the show wrong. The mystery aspect is purely a red herring in the show's construction."

That's dismissal. You can't characterize the principal bulk of the show as a fallacious mislead, a trap, and say that it's still important, too, when the very term intimates a lack of importance.
Why not? If it's still the bulk, it's obviously important, and my term usage was wrong.

I already admitted that my usage of the term was dubious and flat out wrong when duckroll translated the genre of the novel. The only thing that's left now is people judging a show for what they want it to be rather than what it is, yet again. Not you of course.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka was a show characterized by dull characters, dull mysteries, and dull themes made more interesting by a particlar event arc and made palateable by the sheer talent of KyoAni. if the show was not as gorgeous looking as it was, hardly anybody would care for it at all.

Hyouka because as good as Nichijou looks the humor is hit-and-miss.
I can respect that. The weakest parts of Nichijou were those flying castle segments. They went on forever even though they were just okay.
100% agree

Hyouka edges it out for me, but I enjoyed both of them so much. I love how charming and funny Nichijou was but Hyouka is one of those anime that gets even better on a second watch.
I'm in the middle of a rewatch for Hyouka and Joshiraku. I'm done watching anything new since I'm still going through Space Brothers and Shin Sekai Yori. My brain is overloaded on the anime and I feel like I'm missing details as a result. :(
Nice list and commentary, another one for Tsuritama.
--------------
Thanks

Tsuritama is a fantastic show. I must have seen the cover a million times on Crunchy, but I didn't take the plunge until I remembered how many gaffers had watched it.
KyoAni's best TV show is Hyouka.

KyoAni's best anime is The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
I completely forgot about Disappearance. Yeah, that is KyoAni's top work for me.

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya>Nichijou>Haruhi S1=Hyouka>Fumoffu>Chuu2>K-On S1>K-On S2>Haruhi S2

Both seasons of K-On were good. Nagato is so awesome in Disappearance that I had to put it on top...
Also, Sword Art Online was the best new comedy of 2012.
That title belongs to Joshiraku.
Man, is there anything that sparks more arguments on AnimeGAF than Kyoto Animation?
There is a certain show, but it is best left alone since I'd prefer to see it go away.
I'm shocked they haven't made more Durarara yet. That one actually sold decently.
Hopefully a sequel that doesn't involve that bratty trio.
Anyway, misaki> Irisu > Chitanda>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the other students>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mayaka.
Irisu is no joke. I couldn't believe that Oreki got played like that and his reaction was amazing.
God, that cosplay was just adorable. Satoshi needs to man up already.
Nichijou (rewatch) 16

Trolololololol
Such a beautiful show. I think this show will be my test anime whenever I get a new monitor or HDTV. The colors and detail in this show are just lovely to me eyes.

cajunator

Banned
Satoshi sucks so much I forgot his name.
Also yes Mayaka was cute in that cosplay.
Upgrade total.
Anyway, nurse Witch Komugi is definitely the best thing by KyoAni.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka was a show characterized by dull characters, dull mysteries, and dull themes made more interesting by a particlar event arc and made palateable by the sheer talent of KyoAni. if the show was not as gorgeous looking as it was, hardly anybody would care for it at all.
How are the themes of Hyouka even remotely dull? There is a diverse spread with multiple themes for a number of characters that overlap. The topics it touches on are thoughtful and open to multiple means of interpretation while encouraging good discussion.

Thoraxes

How are the themes of Hyouka even remotely dull? There is a diverse spread with multiple themes for a number of characters that overlap. The topics it touches on are thoughtful and open to multiple means of interpretation while encouraging good discussion.

They can be well done, but that doesn't mean their content appeals to everyone.

trejo

Well in any case, we've finally managed to solve the mystery of the actual genre of the show which, as it turns out, was actually lost in translation and led to many of us developing false expectations in regards to what the show would be about. It still doesn't change the fact that I found the characters, their interactions and their development to be unengaging and devoid of interest for the most part, not to mention them being oftentimes unbelievable or unrelatable in their behavior and/or interests.

Having said that, I will say that I am willing to try rewatching the show a second time in the future with a more open mind and having readjusted expectations as to what it actually is since it's concedable that there must be something in there people saw that perhaps I didn't.

Jintor

I have to say my opinion of Haruhi definitely decreases the further away from it (in time) I get.

It's still pretty good though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They can be well done, but that doesn't mean their content appeals to everyone.
Its topics are universal and wide reaching. I dunno. Rarely do I consider the themes covered to be something that can detract from my enjoyment of a piece of media. I mean the stuff in Hyouka can be as simple as failing to live up to expectations, or disappointing a group you were working with because you went and did things your own way.

zeroshiki

I'm not sure if you saw my post and naturally you don't have to respond to it but I posted some thoughts on the first Bungaku Shoujo Memoir if you wanted something about Bungaku Shoujo to read.

Bungaku Shoujo Memoir I comments
I don't actually remember much from the memoirs and what I do remember, I get mixed up with the LN and/or the movie. Tohko is indeed best character and one of the things I liked about Bungaku Shoujo is how the author never tried to harem-ify it. I don't know maybe it was a product of the times and maybe older LNs didn't do much harem-y shit. (But I'm reminded of Shakugan no Shana which came out around the same time and it had terrible harem-y shit)

There was never any doubt who the main character was and the whole series was basically just about them "solving" the mysteries with a little "will-they or won't-they" mixed. No, psycho chick doesn't count. At all.

Is it better to watch the OVA after Crest or after watching all of Banner?

I'm a bigger Crest/Banner fan than Lafiel. He's a faker.

zeroshiki

Citing an English Wikipedia entry for a novel only available in Japanese is usually a mistake if you're going to argue about details. Just saying. I'm not sure if anyone is actually interested in continuing the discussion on the genre origins of Hyouka, but if anyone is, I'm here all day!

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/古典部
Wikipedia said:
ジャンル 日常の謎、青春ミステリ

Genre: Daily Life Mystery(Puzzle?), Seishun Mystery

:p

There's also that KyoAni announcement that the genre of their next show was gonna be "mi" which turned out to be "mystery".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom