• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well I suppose it took me months to post here, but reality was I just didn't have anything to say. Also I didn't silently lurk the thread. Can't remember how I jumped in. I recall an early post of mine was a one line review for a hentai craftily posted at the bottom of a page.
Which one?

Thoraxes

Well I suppose it took me months to post here, but reality was I just didn't have anything to say. Also I didn't silently lurk the thread. Can't remember how I jumped in. I recall an early post of mine was a one line review for a hentai craftily posted at the bottom of a page.

I never lurked the thread, but stumbled into discovering it from the Madoka OT.

That fucking wait was killing me so I looked for anywhere to speculate about it on the internet.

duckroll

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0049357

It's official now:

M5Cex.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I posted here three days after my account was approved and my first post in AnimeGAF was lamenting Chihayafuru's BD sales. That first week or two, just hitting "submit reply" anywhere on GAF felt like trying to cut the right wire on a time bomb.

Moonlight

Banned
Oh god, Motoko. What have they done to you.

EDIT: I kinda just slipped in here after being told about it in the AotY thread. Place didn't seem so scary!

Nafe

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon

Act. 0

5yh4y.jpg

Seigi no senshi. Sailor fuku bisenshi. Sailor V Sanjou!
(Warrior of Justice. Sailor uniform wearing beautiful warrior. Sailor V has arrived!)

I finally got around to watching Act Zero and while the Special Act episode acted as an epilogue to the series, Act. 0 acts as sort of a prequel, filling in some of the background details. Act.0 is longer than a regular episode but unlike with Special Act, which was about 50-60 minutes long, Act. 0 comes in at about half an hour or 30 minutes. While Act. 0 is technically first chronologically wise, I personally think it should maybe be watched after the main series as it was released, due to different small references being made.

The episode also had a totally unexpected surprise for me which turned out to be pretty awesome. Not really a spoiler but if you're planning to watch the show then it might fall into one of those "Things you'd rather see for yourself rather than reading about beforehand" type of thing. I'm talking about
this. Having the Shitennou's actors show up as the local area's police officers was awesome! They really almost steal the show from Sailor V. Especially during their bust of the bad guys at the end. Even as a police officer "Kunzite" is still the best! I loved how he was all gung ho there at the end. It was kind of amusing I guess how their names were basically the idea of colours referencing their Dark Kingdom character roles.

Speaking of references, while the show had a couple of dumb wordplay jokes the one reference was more interesting. When Kuroi hands Akai the bottle of pills to help him calm down his condition you can see it says "Amitan" on the side and when Akai is "eating" them (Haha, you can see him spit out at least the first few) he keeps exclaiming "Mazui!". I'm thinking this is supposed to be a reference to (This one is an actual spoiler)
the scene where Nephrite eats Ami's cookies and keeps exclaiming "Mazui!"

The show is a lot better when you have Sailor V as the protagonist (Sorry Usagi.) Most of the story revolves around how Minako become Sailor V and initially became aware of her role as a senshi. The fighting in this episode really isn't that good but at least you can sort of explain it away with it being Minako's entrance or first time(s) fighting. The little bit with her broach boomerang thing during her first fight was actually kind of funny.

Haha, speaking of fighting, this episode has some little jokes spread throughout it and one just came across as really random. Okay, so Sailor V is fighting one of the episodes henchwomen I guess you'd say but she's really just dodging her attacks and clearly doesn't have the upper-hand. Suddenly though, the girl drops her weapon and the camera focuses on her while the music changes and she does this quick little dance number thing finishing by posing in front of Sailor V. After being momentarily stunned, Sailor V steps on her foot to which she stumbles backwards and Usagi hits her over the head with a daikon radish, knocking her out and putting her out of the fight, while Sailor V continues to fight the remaining two henchwomen. Haha, it was just the most sudden and random thing ever.

Oh yeah! and mystery solved...sort of. For anyone who's been reading my impressions, do you remember when I mentioned two or three times about this weird helicopter sound effect that was used? Well this episode makes direct reference to that and it turns out it IS part of the show! Part way into the episode you see two of the henchwomen enter their secret base and mention that no one is around. Suddenly you hear that sound and they mention "you hear that? It must be the boss" to which the leader then shows up (who you later find out is named Cutie Kenko haha). Near the end of the episode when it looks like he's going to be defeated, he nods to one of his henchwomen who does something and suddenly you hear that sound again. Everyone looks up as if there is a helicopter approaching but then Sailor V throws out her broach boomerang thing and hits a CD player which stops the sound. The others then exclaim "Oh, it was just a recording!?"(Just another one of the jokes the episode uses)

Anyway, knowing that now though it's still weird how it's used in the show as it's really out of place at times and almost drowns out other sounds it really shouldn't be.

It was also nice how they slightly tie in some others things through brief cameos such as seeing Ami walking along to school behind Usagi and her friends or seeing Rei at her family's shrine at the end looking up and saying she senses something approaching.

Not really that big of a deal but this episode did seem to have a few errors I noticed that contradicted things already shown. These aren't really spoilers but I'll maybe just mark them anyway for those who haven't watched the show.

At the beginning of the episode you see Artemis drop out of the sky and land on Minako but during the main show they flash back to their first meeting and it's a little different.

Minako transforms into Sailor V this episode with the cell phone but during the show she had a briefcase with her uniform in it. I don't remember if the show ever says if the girls can keep their outfits but did her costume materialize from that and now she just carries it around or was that just a bit of an error on the part of the staff?

You see Luna come flying into the atmosphere (haha, how she survived is it's own mystery) but during the show she already lands on Usagi's head from the sky as part of their first meeting in this adaptation. Another error or was she somehow just supposed to be floating around in the sky for awhile? haha)

It had it's ups and downs but being a Sailor Moon fan combined with the references and jokes spread throughout I thought it was entertaining enough.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Someone just make a gif compilation of me cuz there are like 4 right now and there'll be like 20 available by the year's end at this rate. Might as well use them for the gif spams.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Someone just make a gif compilation of me cuz there are like 4 right now and there'll be like 20 available by the year's end at this rate. Might as well use them for the gif spams.

Now that's you've asked for them the fun times are over. :(

cajunator

Banned

You drew Ritsu so adorably here. I approve entirely.

It took me a month to build up that sort of courage. How cowardly I was.

I walked in and just started blabbing. Thats how I am though. Subtlety is not what I'm good at. If you're gonna sign up to a forum, post. Post, post, post.

So many Juniors as of late.

Yep. They said community would kill animeGaf. It just made it stronger and more random and fun. People are accustomed to where to find us. Life is good yes?

Ok, what the hell is up with Death Note's second opening?

The stuff of legend. You do not like that masterpiece?

Puchimas! 12

D'aaaa.

D'awww indeed. Also reminds me. I ordered IdolM@ster Xenoglossia. I hope its good. Wanna see those girls doing cute heroic things.

I think I posted here three days after my account was approved and my first post in AnimeGAF was lamenting Chihayafuru's BD sales. That first week or two, just hitting "submit reply" anywhere on GAF felt like trying to cut the right wire on a time bomb.

Man, I just went around cutting wires haphazardly. I cut the wrong ones twice in fact. Blew my ass into the sky. Yall remember that XD.

Dunno about that character design, but at least she's not dressing like a cheap cyberpunk hooker this time.

She looked better before, but seriously, that was never a good character design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom