• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been so long since I watched Fafner...I remember it not doing much for me, but I don't really remember why outside of the Hirai character designs. However, the BD collection's only $30 on Amazon so I thought about picking it up for the hell of it and giving it another shot.

Its worth it, but it and the movie are probably up there for my favorite in the genre, really like the characters Soushi and Kazuki were really excellent. Hopefully will rewatch this spring.

duckroll

Isn't it kinda cute how Production IG loves pulp writers who are kinda all the rage right now in otakudom? Psycho-Pass by Urobuchi, and now GitS by Ubukata. I guess it makes sense though, in a way Masamune Shirow is the king of pulp scifi manga too.

Enzon

Hey anime Gaf, first time here. I want to get into some anime because i plan to learn japanese and i think it's a pretty fun way tp listen the language (my english is a little rough too so forgive me if i make mistakes).
Anyways, i want to know if you could recommend me some fun anime series, mostly comedies, school life i don't know, like the one on this gif. it seems fun:

V2NIb.gif

And that's it, any suggestions? Thanks!

Hey anime Gaf, first time here. I want to get into some anime because i plan to learn japanese and i think it's a pretty fun way tp listen the language (my english is a little rough too so forgive me if i make mistakes).
Anyways, i want to know if you could recommend me some fun anime series, mostly comedies, school life i don't know, like the one on this gif. it seems fun:

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Kimi to Boku (1 and 2)
Cuticle Detective Inaba

All quite funny at times or even all the way throughout. Oh and Tsuritama.

Steroyd

I just finished Shiki after watching the final three episodes today and it is certainly one of my favorite anime.

It is essentially a horror tragedy and it handles several things quite well A) atmosphere B) it makes the monsters to be scary at least some of the time. C) the tragedy is quite well done and the scale of tragedy and the events that are happening is also impressive D) comes off as something quite unique. E) focuses on multiple characters and provides interesting differing perspectives of character, morality and coping with the situation F) It is an interesting morally story. G)
the story does not shy at all from killing characters.
H) has succesfull and focused world building.

The biggest problem is that incoherent priest character he was not handled that well, his character is just not that interesting to the extend that it makes any sense. I was also slightly disappointed by the ending. And I guess some of the attempt for sympathy for the antagonist although does work somewhat, at the same time it also seems kind of forced and does not work entirely.

The priest is a strange one because
at first he's on neither side, and after listening to the little vampire girl's story he sympathizes with what she has to put up with, then he practically sides with her after seeing the human's hunt down the vampires looking like the monsters that they feared.
I quite like Shiki even the hair designs have their own charm despite being ridiculous, and the switcheroo on who were really monsters were nicely done.

Nichijou, Hidamari Sketch, Azumanga Daioh, and Seitokai Yakuindomo are good starting points.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I eagerly await DTL's next several Haruhi impressions.
Shame we kind of spoilt it for him. Hopefully he ignored everything we said.

vote #1 SAO and do your bit to eradicate the diseased small hats
Man, I should have offered the consumption of two tiny hats if Kill Me Baby won.

Dreamcast
Vita
Polar Bear Cafe
Harsh.

I feel like we shouldn't post where the shows are currently standing. People might alter their votes later on or people who have yet to vote my change them accordingly. Can we please avoid saying which anime is where please.
Well said. I tried to nicely ask that results are not posted but it looks like I was ignored. I even posted a happy face. How can anyone ignore my smile!? :(

Agree 100%. I already see people editing their ballots to try to get certain anime in certain positions. Pretty shameful.
No point in me doing anything because I'm sure most of my results are not in the top 10. :(

You should be!

Never Forget.

poor tatami galaxy
Poor Mitsudomoe. :( Shame on all you 2010 voters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does it even work if you didn't watch it when it was airing? I haven't watched S2 of Haruhi yet and were I to watch it now, I would more than likely skip to the end of E8 because as far as I'm aware the differences between each of the episodes is negligible(?)
I suppose I assumed everyone watched it live. lol

But yeah, even for a first time watcher, E8 doesn't work and can only be explained in context. You might try to replicate the experience, the same way that ESPN (I assume) will constantly replay championship sports ball games during the off times because they have nothing else to air, but those replays of sports games have pretty much zero impact on you as a viewer.

Actually, Hawaii 5-0 tried a gimmick yesterday where you could go onto the website and vote for the ending of the episode. If you weren't watching live though, that gimmick is entirely lost on you and you couldn't participate in that aspect of the show.

If you actually cared about the theory behind E8, it's probably to just look up an explanation than to sit through the episodes anyway.

[Sakuraso]

Oh man, I forgot to bring up how stupid it was that the only way to
successfully
confess to Jin was to do this.

Infact the whole Jin x Misaki part never made sense,
and it got resolved on the spot for no reason either.
If it was supposed to draw parallels with Shiina and MC, then it failed miserably at making any sense at all.
The Jin reasoning was only slightly less stupid than Sorata's idiocy. Slightly.

Of course it loses impact because it's deeply ingrained into the mind by halfway.
Well, that's a different discussion. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Before the jokers pop up (looks like I may be too late). That gif is from K-On.

Other good shows to watch.
Mitsudomoe
YuruYuri
Girls Bravo
Nichijou
Azumanga Daioh
Kill Me Baby
Astro Fighter Sunred
Lucky Star (first three episodes are pretty slow but it picks up after that)
Gintama (this is a pretty long going show, but it is one of the funniest)

Kurita

Space Brothers
Space Brothers
And Space Brothers.

To continue playing at standing in for Articalys, ANN reports another LN adaptation in the works, "I Didn't Become A Hero, So I Reluctantly Looked For A Part-Time Job".

[.img]http://cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit400x400/cms/news/58893/sibuyu_top.jpg[/img]

ANN summarise the plot as:

Sounds a bit like that Working Demon anime or whatever it's called that's airing next season. Except more moe.

The longer the name, the more likely it'll get adapted!

It feels different than the part time Working Demon show next season, mostly because I expect more moe and more moe antics.

I thought Dakkua was the one to always point out these LN adaptations...do we all have commuinty roles now?

Nothing I can really do if I was asleep when the news broke ~_~

Steroyd

http://i.imgur.com/V2NIb.gif[IMG]

And that's it, any suggestions? Thanks![/QUOTE]

The gif is K-ON.

Watch Shakugan no Shana if you want to learn what "Baka" and "Urusai" means... actually no don't I can't troll people heavily with a clear conscious like that. **IGNORE**

Genshiken
Nodame Cantabile
Kannagi
Boku wa tomodachi (a.k.a Haganai)
School Rumble
Excel Saga (She talks too fast, you ain't learning squat from that).
Hare and Guu
Working

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What about Chevalier. Have you watched that?

The first few episodes like six years ago. Don't recall anything in it that makes me inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt!

Oh I didn't realize they were his novels. Abandon all hope

yeah if he was just an adapt-o-bot I wouldn't be scared yet, but this is the guy responsible for giving the world Welldone the Pussyhand. It sprang from his mind.

Reuenthal

Banned
The priest is a strange one because
at first he's on neither side, and after listening to the little vampire girl's story he sympathizes with what she has to put up with, then he practically sides with her after seeing the human's hunt down the vampires looking like the monsters that they feared.
I quite like Shiki even the hair designs have their own charm despite being ridiculous, and the switcheroo on who were really monsters were nicely done.

Yes I know that he sympathises with what she had to deal with, I just don't think it works because there is certainly never a switcheroo on who were really monsters in this show. She had to deal with a lot of bad stuff but she never stops being a person responsible for many murders and tragedy that we see quite effectively unfold in the story. That does not mean that there are not humans who do immoral things as well.

Showing the depravity and darkness in the killing of vampires and even inoccents was well done but the fundementals never change from the start. The gray beyond the fundamentals is particularly very interesting but the simple truth of vampires being the more immoral and threatful existance for the extermination of the village and even more mass murders other than that in outside cities does not change. That little vampire girl has murdered an incredible number of people. This is a war with a gray (more) good side with war criminals working mostly in self defense and revenge and a gray (more) bad side with some inoccents. Which makes people who don't like the killing and dehumanization going on but don't join the vampires to be commendable. We have sympathy for the vampires side due to their own desires for companionship and nature of feeding coming from blood and intstict of survival compelling them into mass murder but the fundamental of their predatory and harmful actions that they decide to do, does not change. The werewolf vampire for example was particularly sadistic. Of course the above does not make the death of that vampire woman any less impactful scene than what it was. Just that here we don't have two sides that are morally equal even if the human victory is also disturbing as well, it was the lesser evil out of a situation that would end in bloodshed. At least it was final bloodshed.

It takes both stupidity or immorality from one who cares about lack of killing to join the vampire girl side, the one who selifshly started the mass murders in the village and even targeted nearbye cities that due to wanting companionship (not purely selfish, but be willing to mass murder for that is at least partially selfish). His character did not entirely work for me but on the positive side he was the vehicle through which we got interesting development about the vampires.

A join neither side approach while making a stand against the brutality of killings could be more effective and relatable.

Enzon

Space Brothers
Space Brothers
And Space Brothers.

Before the jokers pop up (looks like I may be too late). That gif is from K-On.

Other good shows to watch.
Mitsudomoe
YuruYuri
Girls Bravo
Nichijou
Azumanga Daioh
Kill Me Baby
Astro Fighter Sunred
Lucky Star (first three episodes are pretty slow but it picks up after that)
Gintama (this is a pretty long going show, but it is one of the funniest)

The gif is K-ON.

Watch Shakugan no Shana if you want to learn what "Baka" and "Urusai" means... actually no don't I can't troll people heavily with a clear conscious like that. **IGNORE**

Genshiken
Nodame Cantabile
Kannagi
Boku wa tomodachi (a.k.a Haganai)
School Rumble
Excel Saga (She talks too fast, you ain't learning squat from that).
Hare and Guu
Working

Thanks i will look all of them

PS: ahaha i know what baka is

Theonik

ಠ_ಠ The first time you showed me that I was about to go to sleep. No man should see something like that at 1:30 in the morning.
You missed worse. Far, far worse.Shame it captures some NSFT stuff or I'd have shared that one instead.

Steroyd

Yes I know that he sympathises with what she had to deal with, I just don't think it works because there is certainly never a switcheroo on who were really monsters in this show. She had to deal with a lot of bad stuff but she never stops being a person responsible for many murders and tragedy that we see quite effectively unfold in the story. That does not mean that there are not humans who do immoral things as well.

Showing the depravity and darkness in the killing of vampires and even inoccents was well done but the fundementals never change from the start. The gray beyond the fundamentals is particularly very interesting but the simple truth of vampires being the more immoral and threatful existance for the extermination of the village and even more mass murders other than that in outside cities does not change. That little vampire girl has murdered an incredible number of people. This is a war with a gray (more) good side with war criminals working mostly in self defense and revenge and a gray (more) bad side with some inoccents. Which makes people who don't like the killing and dehumanization going on but don't join the vampires to be commendable. We have sympathy for the vampires side due to their own desires for companionship and nature of feeding coming from blood and intstict of survival compelling them into mass murder but the fundamental of their predatory and harmful actions that they decide to do, does not change. The werewolf vampire for example was particularly sadistic. Of course the above does not make the death of that vampire woman any less impactful scene than what it was. Just that here we don't have two sides that are morally equal even if the human victory is also disturbing as well, it was the lesser evil out of a situation that would end in bloodshed. At least it was final bloodshed.

It takes both stupidity or immorality from one who cares about lack of killing to join the vampire girl side, the one who selifshly started the mass murders in the village and even targeted nearbye cities that due to wanting companionship (not purely selfish, but be willing to mass murder for that is at least partially selfish). His character did not entirely work for me but on the positive side he was the vehicle through which we got interesting development about the vampires.

A join neither side approach while making a stand against the brutality of killings could be more effective and relatable.

Bear in mind that the priest
donated his blood enough for the vampire girl to feed, but left enough time to heal again, I bet if everyone gave their bit, there wouldn't be people getting sucked dry, of course this requires an open a dialogue with the prey so to speak, which isn't going to happen.
So you're right in the sense that it's more in the humans favour to defend themselves given the situation, but the moment they got a grasp of the situation, the humans went all paranoid in terms of going out and getting anyone they thought was a vampire without any proof, much like a witch hunt of old.

Cwarrior

got more popular so they got more freedom ..and besides they also had way more budget ..the first 50 eps of OP were really low on the budget. it was most obvious in the backgrounds .

Nowadays Toei pretty mental when it comes to backgrounds, they love going all out on a backgrounds only to redrawn the same area whenever it's revisited dozens of times over just for the sake of it.

Backgrounds(am going to try to avoid posting spoiler pics)

Tgf4b.jpg

Dadan's house is redrawn like 15+times in different angles,times of day,weather even when it's from the same angle.

3ZYK4.jpg

NHowJ.jpg

You see the tiny clouds in the background yeah their animated that's not all so are the clouds's shadows and those line effects on the grass represent wind blowing through the grass.

HP19q.jpg

jbX26.jpg

"it's raining now staff, redraw those individual trees now with a wet detailed paint look so the tree's look wet & stuff", poor guys.

POcGk.jpg

Storybook effects still around,looks more like a painting.

camping at dawn in the snowy woods
0jYII.jpg

kEa9O.jpg

nice colours check that background out with snowygrass and trees

El6ro.jpg

What I find important in background is characters should be able to interact with it and look very natural(not looking out place with characters on screen).

EQC99.jpg

Now this is just silly why would you draw some detailed bin? with shades of multiple colours and even that bloody stick got it's own shadow, I told you Toei was mental.

HkPQm.jpg

wbDlC.jpg

Jic3k.jpg

Ops posted too many i should stop now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Gonna keep my expectations on lowburn for this. Production IG is apparently on a mission to disappoint me as of late.
Yeah, psycho-pass on the offset had potential than this based on the staff, and look how that turned out!

Reuenthal

Banned
Bear in mind that the priest
donated his blood enough for the vampire girl to feed, but left enough time to heal again, I bet if everyone gave their bit, there wouldn't be people getting sucked dry, of course this requires an open a dialogue with the prey so to speak, which isn't going to happen.
So you're right in the sense that it's more in the humans favour to defend themselves given the situation, but the moment they got a grasp of the situation, the humans went all paranoid in terms of going out and getting anyone they thought was a vampire without any proof, much like a witch hunt of old.

The vampires almost exterminated the whole village until humans started exterminating the vampires. There was never a different solution since vampires started mass murdering people planning to make the whole village a vampire village. Either they would succeed or the humans would kill them. The tragic character of that blond vampire who killed his best friend establishes the fragility of the idea of coexistance through minor feeding. This fantasy has nothing to do with the events of the show, and I wonder what happens if there are not enough blood donors or if the vampires don't care about waiting for donors? Not that, there was ever such a possibility in the show.

As for the priest he ended up dying and rising as a vampire so his feed others plan did not work that much long term and he never suggested to the vampires to start killing less IIRC, it was just his own desire to donate blood.

the humans went all paranoid in terms of going out and getting anyone they thought was a vampire without any proof, much like a witch hunt of old.

Yeah they went too far in some extends. It reminded me more of resistance movements against oppressive regimes that also end up killing some more inoccent and that the killing involved with that ends up being ugly as well, even if the enemy the war is fought against needs to be eliminated.

I have to admit I find your approach to this issue somewhat surprising.

Grzi

I love this channel:

Tenchi Muyo (1992) #3 - 本田 雄 Takeshi Honda
(You might know him as having worked on the fight in End of Evangelion alongside Mitsuo Iso and Yoh Yoshinari)

Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle (OVA 2) - 上妻 晋作 Shinsaku Kozuma [?]

Patlabor 2: The Movie - 沖浦 啓之 Hiroyuki Okiura [?]

I don't like these sakuga vids where they aren't sure if they got the animator right but these look really good so what the heck.

Also, for those interested here's the scene Hironori Tanaka did for the Justice League: Doom movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_pnvq7RbM

Not even close to being his best work but it's still the prettiest scene in the entire film. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To continue playing at standing in for Articalys, ANN reports another LN adaptation in the works, "I Didn't Become A Hero, So I Reluctantly Looked For A Part-Time Job".
Let me guess. They are secretly siblings.

Yeah, this pretty much. Sort of reminds me of Recettear.
I really should play this. Bought it yonks ago too. But it requires switching OS and I'm too lazy to do that.

Chet, I wouldn't go outside this thread or the K-ON! thread with that avy. People might get the wrong right idea.
It's just a strapless dress.

Yeah I think someone mentioned this. Still can't believe it. Trolls the lot of them.
Do we have to bring up Watership Down again and how kids can cope with this stuff.

GuP ED is pretty sweet!
Yep. I believe I voted for it in the OP/ED of the year award, but with Articalys I'll never know the results now.

Steroyd

I have to admit I find your approach to this issue somewhat surprising.

It's the general perspective on vampires that I got through Shiki, it's all predator and prey, vampires mass murdering a human village is not much different in principal to humans mass murdering chickens for food, we just got the smarts to fight back and include morality on the issue.

Which is why I thought at the end of Shiki
when everyone went beyond simple self defense and went into overkill on anything that smelled like a vampire
I didn't think the villagers were that far above the vampires in the end.

That said I do think vampire girl deserved to die, at the end of the day it's all about survival and she started it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom