• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Shin Sekai Yori

Its only me that feel awkward they try to pull
Suikoden II plot to Maria and Saki?

Yeah I know they hugging, making out and all that but I never feel the show really establish they were that close, Mamoru and the banished dude that always have Saki's attention
so this feel awkward and not smooth to me.

While I don't understand your reference to a game that I played about an hour of before selling to someone in this thread, what I would say to this is that:

IMO Saki and Maria's relationship has been well established as a long-running "thing" since the childhood arc. It's just never been mined for dramatic purposes like this before. Saki/Shun and Maria/Mamoru have always had more of an impact on the plot - Saki/Shun in the childhood arc and then when he becomes a Gouma, and Maria/Mamoru in these recent episodes.

If anything, there's always been more romantic/sexual chemistry between Saki and Maria than there ever was between Maria and Mamoru. If the events of the show hadn't shown otherwise, I'd have thought Mamoru was gay as he's the super-sensitive one of the group and always seemed to have a very strong emotional connection with Maria rather than anything physical.

Lain

From The New World 16

The way that queerat talks annoys me so much and even if she didn't tell us about
them being used
, just his manner of speech makes it so obvious.
I wonder why she dreamed what she did and also I'm interested in seeing the time skip, to be precise, if they help up what they said that night or not. Also, what kind of requests the 2 shown in the preview might have for them?

Fate Zero deserves a cheaper blu ray release and nothing less. DVD cannot do justice to that show. Its too gorgeous.

Agreed, though if left with no choice I'll get the DVD's unless the BD's are still available when/if I have the budget. Or perhaps they will do a cheaper BD release, ideally.

Itasha for the ages right there. So those are vinyl wraps, right?

That's what it looks like. Wish I still had my Yaris...I would totally GuP it up.

fertygo

While I don't understand your reference to a game that I played about an hour of before selling to someone in this thread, what I would say to this is that:

IMO Saki and Maria's relationship has been well established as a long-running "thing" since the childhood arc. It's just never been mined for dramatic purposes like this before. Saki/Shun and Maria/Mamoru have always had more of an impact on the plot - Saki/Shun in the childhood arc and then when he becomes a Gouma, and Maria/Mamoru in these recent episodes.

If anything, there's always been more romantic/sexual chemistry between Saki and Maria than there ever was between Maria and Mamoru. If the events of the show hadn't shown otherwise, I'd have thought Mamoru was gay as he's the super-sensitive one of the group and always seemed to have a very strong emotional connection with Maria rather than anything physical.
BFF got separated and all that, btw I mean Satoru instead Mamoru lol

But you bring another point of it. Both Maria and Saki seem have utter focus to other chara, while there's nothing wrong with that and maybe relevant to plot progress, but IMO dynamic between them not got built strong enough to what coming next.

DiGiKerot

Why do I feel like a terrible crime has been committed here? How can such injustice be left to stand? Can't someone do something about this? Are there no righteous men left? Wtf?????? :(

Hey, I feel a lot of gratitude toward him for actually selling it to me for a very reasonable price instead of the crazy eBay prices it was going for at the time.

That said, I hate to admit that I didn't finish it either, which probably makes it the only numbered Suikoden game I've not played to completion.

cjkeats

A few weeks ago I subjected a friend to the first half of Madoka Magica, and finally last night we finished it.

I've known this girl for about 7 years, and I've never seen her brow furrow as much as when episode 10 started. Almost as good as watching it the first time myself.

fertygo

Why do I feel like a terrible crime has been committed here? How can such injustice be left to stand? Can't someone do something about this? Are there no righteous men left? Wtf?????? :(

Damn right :(
I hope you not sell it to buy FFVIII Blu.

That said, I hate to admit that I didn't finish it either, which probably makes it the only numbered Suikoden game I've not played to completion.

This not less worse :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A few weeks ago I subjected a fred to the first half of Madoka Magica, and finally last night we finished it.

I've known this girl for about 7 years, and I've never seen her brow furrow as much as when episode 10 started. Almost as good as watching it the first time myself.

I'm more worried that this girl is a Fred.

Ultimadrago

Mouryou no Hako 2

hakonvbo5.png

The simple one-by-one introduction of characters really took me back to "Mystery 101". Of course, by no means does this mean it will be easy to solve as a spectator. Even now I'm pondering over what possible clues I've already overlooked! The set-up cast thus far is basic at face-value:
a straight-face
, a
celebrity
someone crying their eyes out
, etc. I'm sure some, if not all of them will come up with something later on though that breaks them from this mold. You know, for connections and all.

hako2inu4p.png

All the players are here. :wonzo

Additionally, the ending stretch had an above-average, casual focus on mythology. I enjoy reading about that type of material and wonder how/if it'll pertain to the story at large. The episode was alright, but it has me more looking forward to what happens next and what new revelations will unfold (with questions).

duckroll

Hey, I feel a lot of gratitude toward him for actually seeing it to me for a very reasonable price instead of the crazy eBay prices it was going for at the time.

What the fuck, this crime only gets worse. Crime Coefficient is over 666! Target for Elimination! Someone stop these criminals! :(

Ultimadrago

Mouryou no Hako 2

As for some of the chronology, I'm going to throw out what I think is going on so far. Tell me if you think this checks out.
The train accident happens on August 15th. Sometime between the 15th and the 29th, Toriguchi goes on the train for his grandmother's funeral, and sees the box. On the 29th and 30th, the body parts are discovered, and the second half of the episode happens.

That seems to all accurate from what I've watched.

DiGiKerot

What the fuck, this crime only gets worse. Crime Coefficient is over 666! Target for Elimination! Someone stop these criminals! :(

I'm going to beg for leniency on the grounds that I'm pretty sure I sent him a copy of the Tokyo Godfathers DVD unsolicited as part of the exchange. Surely that's got to be worth something?!

Ultimadrago

Mouryou no Hako 2
But, man, what the hell is going on here?

I still have absolutely no idea of what this show is actually about (other than creepy dolls), and halfway through this episode I was starting to get a bit annoyed by the nonsense... But something about that last sequence made me do a 180º and suddenly become interested in knowing more. Now I'm just hoping that the girl from the first episode won't be the focus of the plot anymore.

Stick with us, bro!

BluWacky

I'm going to beg for leniency on the grounds that I'm pretty sure I sent him a copy of the Tokyo Godfathers DVD unsolicited as part of the exchange. Surely that's got to be worth something?!

I did watch that! It's an ace film!
Still not seen Paprika, Perfect Blue or Millennium Actress though. And I call myself an anime fan... at least I've seen Paranoia Agent, though.

I have no real excuse re: Suikoden II. I bought it because I saw it for £30 and knew it was ultra-rare, but never got into it - I think I may have already moved onto the PS2 by that point and had other shiny games to play. I've never played any of the other Suikoden games either...

Novid

Banned
well...lets see... we had a thread on the whole consept kawaii moe series...

and the reason why i didnt post there is that im beyond the tropes most of OT pull out on a daily basis.

but lets play that Teufels Advokaten...what if ot, in its mainstream "progressivegcoughregressivecough" wisdom was correct?

That would mean the the business isnt doing its job to expand... and even though we have Pink Sheep and Her Wolf Buddy, Harumaki Man, Wondering Son, Space Bros, Polar Cafe hell lets add JoJo just for the DBZ fanbase, and Anna for them AbbyFiends... and dang do i got to mention precure?, why pray tell is crunchyfail, funipiece, The New ADV only in fucking what its name...promoting der Müll aus den Dachrinnen? its those companies and my anime list making yall look bad.

duckroll

I did watch that! It's an ace film!
Still not seen Paprika, Perfect Blue or Millennium Actress though. And I call myself an anime fan... at least I've seen Paranoia Agent, though.

I have no real excuse re: Suikoden II. I bought it because I saw it for £30 and knew it was ultra-rare, but never got into it - I think I may have already moved onto the PS2 by that point and had other shiny games to play. I've never played any of the other Suikoden games either...

I think both of you need Psycho-Pass Rehab Therapy. Preferably involving playing Suikoden II to completion. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Arashi no Yoru ni: Himitsu no Tomodachi 01
That was really sweet. I'm not once for interspecies romance (the likelihood of marital predation is simply too high to ignore), but I would totally be on board of watching this if I were much younger. Even the animation didn't look quite bad at times! Facial expressions are great, it's just everything else that looks wonky.

That shot with Gabu looking at Mei's butt was, on the other hand, extremely creepy.

Narag

JoJo 15

GjfTQJYl.jpg

avbsgs1l.jpg

This shit is so ugly at times. The cowl makes Cars look like he's wearing an inflatable body suit and I don't remember Caesar's knee getting broken.

The OP has sure grown on me. It's been stuck in my head all week. Despite my usual ugly complaint, this sure was badass beyond measure. dat narrator. dat posing. dat soundtrack.

Using different parts of Roundabout for the ED is pretty neat too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This is worse than the Denpa Onna OP.
well...lets see... we had a thread on the whole consept kawaii moe series...

and the reason why i didnt post there is that im beyond the tropes most of OT pull out on a daily basis.

but lets play that Teufels Advokaten...what if ot, in its mainstream "progressivegcoughregressivecough" wisdom was correct?

That would mean the the business isnt doing its job to expand... and even though we have Pink Sheep and Her Wolf Buddy, Harumaki Man, Wondering Son, Space Bros, Polar Cafe hell lets add JoJo just for the DBZ fanbase, and Anna for them AbbyFiends... and dang do i got to mention precure?, why pray tell is crunchyfail, funipiece, The New ADV only in fucking what its name...promoting der Müll aus den Dachrinnen? its those companies and my anime list making yall look bad.
Novid are you drunk

be honest

fertygo

MaoYuu 03

Now that was good, the potato n politic talk were so enjoyable.. dislike the waifu bitching in the end tho.

This shit is so ugly at times. The cowl makes Cars look like he's wearing an inflatable body suit and I don't remember Caesar's knee getting broken.
That's not the anime fault though lol, pillar men design just so ridic.

But you're right, this week episode are beyond ugly lol.. probably the worst so far at visual, some Joseph's cracker animation was really disgusting.

The VA carrying the show.

Theonik

I don't know. Those chins could use sharpening.
They could also use some sharp noses.

Theonik is destined to marry Yui Hirasawa on December 13, 2012 おめでとう^o^/ !!
I'm OK with this.

Is :Theonik ugly ass computer language?

Y'all are crazy it looks fine!

BluWacky

I think we're all very well aware that the focus of the anime industry seems to be constricting around moe. It's what sells at the moment, so that's not a huge surprise.

I don't understand why you seem so fixated on what "American" companies are doing, though. The proliferation and promotion of anime with moe elements have nothing to do with Crunchyroll, Funimation et al. They are merely licensing product produced in Japan for a primarily Japanese audience.

Given the way that anime fandom operates these days i.e. almost exclusively digitally and without any real regard for licensing restrictions, what Western distributors do has very little impact on how anyone perceives "us". Particularly on a web forum, of all places.

Re: your list, Arashi no Yoru ni has a legitimate English broadcast I believe on Youtube; Wandering Son, Space Bros and Polar Bear Cafe have legitimate streams; JoJo is an odd discrepancy in terms of current licensing patterns, and I have no idea what Anna is supposed to be. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there - that these aren't typical otaku shows? Sure, fine. But most of them are available legitimately to English speakers - or have been in the past, like PreCure - and I don't think any of this really proves anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom