• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Cast announced: Megumi Han, Fumiko Orikasa, Michiyo Murase, Yoko Hikasa, and "secret".

Q5sIim6.jpg

BluWacky

Wandering Son 1

I can't even do backlog season properly, so here I am a week late on this...

I don't remember why I didn't watch this show when it originally aired. I think I was so hyped about Fractale (yeah, yeah, I know...) that I never really paid much attention to it.

The word that most describes this episode for me is "delicate". The faded backgrounds, watercolour effects and simple, almost blank faces give the whole show a very "light" atmosphere. It's very appropriate - it accentuates the relative innocence of the characters while making it all the more bittersweet that they're dealing with such complicated issues.

I'm not fond of how the first episode throws you in with so many characters. Maybe if I knew nothing about the series at all I'd find it easier, but I made so many assumptions before the episode even started that I kept trying to "second guess" if any of the characters were cross-dressing in the opening classroom scene and it really confused me as to who was who.

With that said, I did enjoy Mari Okada's rather ostentatious writing with the repeated "what makes up little girls" motif, and it's an interesting topic for a series.

Shergal

Anime of 2013 is gonna get robbed in the voting thread just like how none of you fuckers remembered Wasurenagumo this year. :(

Speaking of Wasurenagumo, does anyone know who did these awesome cuts of the girl running around looking for the guy?

I remember everyone being surprised by them but I never saw anyone mention who could have possibly animated it.

fertygo

Wandering Son 1

I'm not fond of how the first episode throws you in with so many characters.
Maybe if I knew nothing about the series at all I'd find it easier, but I made so many assumptions before the episode even started that I kept trying to "second guess" if any of the characters were cross-dressing in the opening classroom scene and it really confused me as to who was who.

With that said, I did enjoy Mari Okada's rather ostentatious writing with the repeated "what makes up little girls" motif, and it's an interesting topic for a series.

Well its because the anime just "jump" to deeper manga material, its started with vol 5 start IIRC.

My friend suggested to read first 4 volume before watch the show, good suggestion.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Economics 101 2-3:

More economic stimulus fun for everyone. Maid's kind of a bitch though, though it's moreso an intolerance for beggers than anything else.

We go to the church and meet Hero's old flame and she's quite obviously angry that he's suddenly shown up out of nowhere with a woman of such... rich economic activity by his side.

And then suddenly, Maid-chan became awesome. Hero needs to get with the fucking program and take the damn Mao. She's basically begging at this point, it's rude not to take her on her offer!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really inoffensive and charming. I can't help myself.
Being a dick and watching the last episode, I think I agree with you. lol

It seems to be as good as any other children's show... once you get over the whole CG/:wonzo look.

Then again, kids are probably totally used to CG nowadays.

cajunator

Banned
well...lets see... we had a thread on the whole consept kawaii moe series...

and the reason why i didnt post there is that im beyond the tropes most of OT pull out on a daily basis.

but lets play that Teufels Advokaten...what if ot, in its mainstream "progressivegcoughregressivecough" wisdom was correct?

That would mean the the business isnt doing its job to expand... and even though we have Pink Sheep and Her Wolf Buddy, Harumaki Man, Wondering Son, Space Bros, Polar Cafe hell lets add JoJo just for the DBZ fanbase, and Anna for them AbbyFiends... and dang do i got to mention precure?, why pray tell is crunchyfail, funipiece, The New ADV only in fucking what its name...promoting der Müll aus den Dachrinnen? its those companies and my anime list making yall look bad.

ADV has always been about fanservice and tropes. SInce I started watching anime they have pushed that stuff. Even had a jiggle counter on Plastic Little and some other gimmicks.

http://www.animemirai.jp/news.php?p=125

New character design sheet:

More staff announced: Masahiko Otsuka is writing the script, Michiru Oshima is composing the music. Fuck yeaaaah!

Cast announced: Megumi Han, Fumiko Orikasa, Michiyo Murase, Yoko Hikasa, and "secret".

SO good. Great character design and animation.

I think we're all very well aware that the focus of the anime industry seems to be constricting around moe. It's what sells at the moment, so that's not a huge surprise.

I don't understand why you seem so fixated on what "American" companies are doing, though. The proliferation and promotion of anime with moe elements have nothing to do with Crunchyroll, Funimation et al. They are merely licensing product produced in Japan for a primarily Japanese audience.

Given the way that anime fandom operates these days i.e. almost exclusively digitally and without any real regard for licensing restrictions, what Western distributors do has very little impact on how anyone perceives "us". Particularly on a web forum, of all places.

Re: your list, Arashi no Yoru ni has a legitimate English broadcast I believe on Youtube; Wandering Son, Space Bros and Polar Bear Cafe have legitimate streams; JoJo is an odd discrepancy in terms of current licensing patterns, and I have no idea what Anna is supposed to be. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there - that these aren't typical otaku shows? Sure, fine. But most of them are available legitimately to English speakers - or have been in the past, like PreCure - and I don't think any of this really proves anything at all.

Agreed. Funi and Sentai, Crunchyroll...they just license what they can market. Its not their fault what the trends are. People like what they like. you cant force them to enjoy Space Bros more than Queens Blade.

cajunator, you seriously need to watch the second half of Cuticle Detective 3. You'd have a cutegasm.

I'll consider it. Whats so cute about it?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

It seems to be as good as any other children's show... once you get over the whole CG/:wonzo look.

Viva Pinata.

Theonik

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 01-03
i3iWrmXMYEdzV.png
i5yrCzMTtawnO.png

Verily so chap.
That was pretty awesome. Very ugly at times but awesome. It helps I am not familiar with Jojo before watching this so can go in totally fresh. (without comparing with the 90s OVA which I shall watch after this) Manly manliness everywhere and the character designs certainly give away the source's age and origin. Will keep at it till part 1 is done and continue when it finishes airing me thinks. Also I never thought I would see CG that would make me look fondly on PreCure CG but the OP certainly did just that.

CG in this looks fine. At least 3x as good as any other anime CG from those shots. Being full CG helps it a lot I think though of course I haven't seen it in motion to judge how horrible it may be. The issue with anime CG isn't just that it's CG, it's that it clashes with the rest of the visual elements on any given scene in the way it is used on anime usually.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Oh, we KNOW you cant resist watching the show now :D
But its not a bad show at all. Just dont fap too hard and break something.
That is one stupidly cute bunny girl in that show though.

:(
I'm not sure, but I might be like... an evil sexually corrupted twin version of you. When something is cute, I don't hnngggg, I just get really uncomfortable in my pants. If it is cute, I am already hard.

The Inaba illustrations by the artist of Kimi to Boku and Kuroshitsuji are good.

WHOA, those are good. Like really good.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure 12

Also, the new OP is awful.

It's okay to be wrong once in a while Ultima. I liked the new OP immediately, but it took others a little while to fully warm up to it. Give it some time and report back to us. We won't blame you or ridicule you when you come to join the rest of us on the right side of history.

cajunator

Banned
This show has a cowardly dog-girl.

Very nice. I can see your point.

:(
I'm not sure, but I might be like... an evil sexually corrupted twin version of you. When something is cute, I don't hnngggg, I just get really uncomfortable in my pants. If it is cute, I am already hard.

WHOA, those are good. Like really good.

It's okay to be wrong once in a while Ultima. I liked the new OP immediately, but it took others a little while to fully warm up to it. Give it some time and report back to us. We won't blame you or ridicule you when you come to join the rest of us on the right side of history.

Yeah, I don't have much of a sex drive to begin with, so I would just prefer to hug someone instead of make babies. I'm defective or something. Its not evil to have a sex drive though, its normal. I'm the abnormal one here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Viva Pinata.
Well, there's a lot more of that, but yeah. lol

CG in this looks fine. At least 3x as good as any other anime CG from those shots. Being full CG helps it a lot I think though of course I haven't seen it in motion to judge how horrible it may be. The issue with anime CG isn't just that it's CG, it's that it clashes with the rest of the visual elements on any given scene in the way it is used on anime usually.
Well, there is bad CG that just looks like shit. The fake Disney/Pixar movies that come out around the same time as the actual Disney movies look like digital vomit, for instance.

Branduil

well...lets see... we had a thread on the whole consept kawaii moe series...

and the reason why i didnt post there is that im beyond the tropes most of OT pull out on a daily basis.

but lets play that Teufels Advokaten...what if ot, in its mainstream "progressivegcoughregressivecough" wisdom was correct?

That would mean the the business isnt doing its job to expand... and even though we have Pink Sheep and Her Wolf Buddy, Harumaki Man, Wondering Son, Space Bros, Polar Cafe hell lets add JoJo just for the DBZ fanbase, and Anna for them AbbyFiends... and dang do i got to mention precure?, why pray tell is crunchyfail, funipiece, The New ADV only in fucking what its name...promoting der Müll aus den Dachrinnen? its those companies and my anime list making yall look bad.

iIXBXeXAXUU9P.gif

Novid

Banned
I think we're all very well aware that the focus of the anime industry seems to be constricting around moe. It's what sells at the moment, so that's not a huge surprise.

I don't understand why you seem so fixated on what "American" companies are doing, though. The proliferation and promotion of anime with moe elements have nothing to do with Crunchyroll, Funimation et al. They are merely licensing product produced in Japan for a primarily Japanese audience.

Given the way that anime fandom operates these days i.e. almost exclusively digitally and without any real regard for licensing restrictions, what Western distributors do has very little impact on how anyone perceives "us". Particularly on a web forum, of all places.

Re: your list, Arashi no Yoru ni has a legitimate English broadcast I believe on Youtube; Wandering Son, Space Bros and Polar Bear Cafe have legitimate streams; JoJo is an odd discrepancy in terms of current licensing patterns, and I have no idea what Anna is supposed to be. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there - that these aren't typical otaku shows? Sure, fine. But most of them are available legitimately to English speakers - or have been in the past, like PreCure - and I don't think any of this really proves anything at all.

I think its time to show yall this from the oatmeal:

12.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho-Pass - Episode 13

That was a pretty good episode. The art is still pretty terrible, but I'm sure that's never going to change. The writing has certainly gotten better, or at the very least more interesting. I like the character interactions since episode 9 a lot more.

That's something I've noticed too, that it seems like 'revelations' were withheld probably for shock value. The show definitely seems to have developed a flow to it.

It's also a shame how awful the art and direction is at times as well.

Syrinx

K-ON!! 2

Clean-up day. Cleaning up sucks. Everything I use (not much) is somewhere near by. The rest is in one of these closets around here. I don't give a fucking fuck.

Then the club goes to Wal-Mart or something like it and act like it's there first time there (to be fair to Mugi, it actually is her first time). Yui was captivated by screws. Yes, screws. At least Mugi and Azusa were looking at actual stuff. And Ritsu was wearing a mining helmet. Then the sell Sawako's old guitar for 500,000 yen. I said wow.

Then Sawako asks for the receipt, and Ritsu, out of nowhere, TRIES TO EAT IT! Goddamn, that was random and funny as shit. Now they don't get to keep the money. Shame, cause they were actually thinking of actual stuff to buy with it. Music equipment and such. Except Yui. She just wants to be slapped with the money. Simple pleasures for simple people, I guess. But they get to buy one thing as a treat, which they use to buy a turtle for Azusa as a substitute for having a freshman to take under her wing. I guess he's gonna be the band's mascot or something now.

Narag

Oh I'm not questioning this, just putting it into perspective that the screens at least don't make it look anywhere near :wonzo tier. Hell it might even be acceptable.

It actually looks pretty decent in motion. Animation is smooth enough too so it doesn't feel janky. I think the facial expressions do wonders in selling it as a whole, it just has that non-textured look to it that I sort of equate with CG animation looking like bad puppets.

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail

This was ok, I guess. Roberta is really not an interesting character so have another huge arc that focuses on her and the shit she is able to pull off is just...
Firing a 50cal. sniper rifle 1 handed! I mean, come on! Thats not even the most egregious bullshit she pulled off this arc.
The one good thing that was brought about this arc was seeing the development of Rock and Revy's relationship and how Roranupor has changed Rock and not for the better. I hope this did well enough that we might see another season of the show, but I seriously doubt it. :(

duckroll

OreShura 3

Other than the typical embarrassing nonsense at the beginning of the episode, this episode was sort of touching. Eita will probably dismiss all of what was said next episode because he's the main character and by default denser than a black hole. Ei-kun no baka indeed.

Branduil

From the New World 16

iz68Au57LH9Nj.jpg

Hey look it's Mad Pierrot.

iNZRRg8r8hd8m.jpg

I really liked the scenes with the red sunset reflected in the snow set to Dvorak.

Another good episode to
end this arc.
The pseudo-OP felt weird and sudden, but I liked everything else.
They're getting played by Squealer so badly.
What Maria said about the adults in Kamisu 66 made a lot of sense. And it seems pretty obvious that incredibly creepy and disturbing dream will not be just a dream.
I'm guessing a war with that creepy kid creating all those weird monsters? Certainly the "Department of Exospecies Control" in the preview could be a hint at that. You know, thinking about it, that could be Mamoru and Maria's kid. Would explain Saki's narration in episode 2.
The animation really added to the sense of dreamlike horror there.

Also, nice background animation.

i3xlt1dRN2t4U.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't like making fun of other people's avatars, but why? At least tell me this isn't part of Real Pic January.
Yo' just jealous he has a better waifu than you.

Spelling is hard. :(
Don't sweat it, I'm a terrible typer and 50% of my posts have a mistake in them hence calling myself Mr Hypocrite.

What the fuck, this crime only gets worse. Crime Coefficient is over 666! Target for Elimination! Someone stop these criminals! :(
If you are using 666 because it is the number of the beat please note 616 is the new number.

Novid are you drunk

be honest
Perhaps these few glasses of wine I've had is why I understood him.

Also, the new OP is awful.
This is apparently the most controversial thing you've said in this thread judging by the responses.

Nafe

Chu-2 Hyouka 2

Not as good as the first episode, but I like Mayaka as a character so far, though maybe that's because of her attitude towards Oreki. But now I can't help but think what she'd be like if she had more meat on her bones, thanks a lot animegaf!

For the record, I wasn't part of this group.

Yeah, they hit he building a little too quickly but the drama was there even if it was the world's tallest building! I think I got caught up in it all after Nehellenia went back into the new moon in her mirror, there's that brief zoom out from it, a sound effect briefly in the background then Chibiusa zooming past the screen as a reminder things weren't over yet.

Yeah, the drama around it worked for me too, it was just something I noticed and thought it was kind of an amusing aside.

Your avatar just makes it seem like you're even more depressed about it, haha.

I'm still laughing about that and how he just went ahead with it.

Yeah, I could maybe see the first episode but then he kept going anyway, haha.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6aa1e9c7d3b6d9f21c219df4da646c2d/tumblr_mguuhzOLOq1rlpuyvo1_500.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/12ab089b29ac1a706d402ff729cd3aa5/tumblr_mguuhzOLOq1rlpuyvo2_500.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/69a44e1eee154e0b26f1f0045516d127/tumblr_mguuhzOLOq1rlpuyvo3_500.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/07bebe2645604e44c104774df2694df0/tumblr_mguuhzOLOq1rlpuyvo4_500.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/db95881ecde37e16c150e9d6670614f4/tumblr_mguuhzOLOq1rlpuyvo5_500.jpg[IMG]

Panzer vor![/QUOTE]

These cars actually look pretty cool. Haha, I'd maybe drive one.

[quote="Narag, post: 46625686"][b]Sailor Moon SuperS Movie[/b]
Dead eye moe for dead eye moe fans[/QUOTE]

Arigatou!

[quote="BGBW, post: 46625904"]During my weird travels of fanart yesterday I did come across this.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nUoRx5c.gif

Haha, this is pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom