• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oreshura - 03

7UB6P4w.gif

It took 3 episodes for the Kanna tears to happen 3 episodes.

There you go!
Thank you!

Crying for everyone! lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Arashi no Yoru ni 9

I had no idea wolf packs had such traditions as musical numbers and human wolf pyramids to celebrate new children.

You know, I probably missed your earlier posts, but why did you decide to check the show out?

I know I only did it because of the CG and the fact that no one else here bothered to watch it. lol

K-ON!! 3

What's with goth Mio in the ED? Also, why is she singing in the ED both in this season and the first season? She's only the singer when Yui can't sing or just forgets the words (or forgets to sing entirely).

You don't question music videos.
And Mio sings all the EDs because she's a better singer than Yui. But in all seriousness, she sings them because she is the other singer. It's not like the EDs are canon or whatever. And she actually gets to sing a song in a later episode where Yui was entirely capable of doing so. She grows as a character over the course of the show you see.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Basically because you pointed it out and it looked cute! I didn't expect I'd get something I'd enjoy.
Haha. I'd apologize, but it looks like you'll finish the series by the end of the weekend!

And it's nice when irony becomes something genuine. I don't think I've had that experience with watching a show in a while. My blackened heart is jealous. lol

You don't question music videos.
And Mio sings all the EDs because she's a better singer than Yui. But in all seriousness, she sings them because she is the other singer. It's not like the EDs are canon or whatever. And she actually gets to sing a song in a later episode where Yui was entirely capable of doing so. She grows as a character over the course of the show you see.
It's because Altos are better than Sopranos.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
She wrote a love letter to someone she wasn't interested in, hoping to get rejected but he said yes, and now she has a date with some guy hoping the MC wouldn't be okay with it but nope, cue kanna tears.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Kazzy

[High School of The Dead] 1-12

This probably speaks more to my ever-slipping changing standards tastes that I even decided to revisit this particular series. I originally bought High School of The Dead on something of a whim, and as quaint as it may sound, I was unaware of what it actually was! Yes, I expected zombies, along with all the prerequisite gore that entails, but I can’t say the same for its other content. I think I managed to get through about an episode before I eventually dropped it altogether, under the pretense that yes, I would not stoop that low. So, having once again reached this juncture, what does that say about my standards? Well, I won’t dwell too much on that and instead get to the task at hand, boobs! Er, I mean zombies.

I think it’s safe to say that the onus of this show is firmly (lol) on the titillation, but can I hardly begrudge that, not when it commits itself with such enthusiasm. Watching the show, I struggle to fully determine whether or not I have steadily become desensitized to this sort of presentation, or I simply have come to accept it. Sure enough, I have been bombarded with enough images within the thread to support this theory, but I think it speaks to the manner in which it’s committed that undercuts some of those preconceptions. That’s to say that I’d probably feel differently, were the show not so unashamedly committed to its fan-service. And the horror genre has always gone hand-in hand with those elements anyway, so maybe that's is why I consider it palatable in this instance, where I would usually avoid it entirely. So it seems kind of ridiculous to criticize for that aspect too harshly, despite feeling that it at times got in the way of my overall enjoyment.

I was surprised to find that from the offset, it maintains a good pace. Sure, there is nothing new about the way in which it depicts its zombie outbreak, and like most, it isn't really about the monsters anyway. Though it encounters problems whenever it attempts to soliloquise on the dehumanizing effect of human survival. But its impossible to take this plight seriously, especially when the zombie horde is simultaneously treated as a life-threatening/ a mild nuisance, depending on when it suits the narrative. In fact its probably the coziest example of a zombie apocalypse that I can remember, as the cast regularly stumble upon the necessary resources, as and when they need them. It helps to maintain the pace, but at the expense of any sort of tension.

It's strange that the show basically collapses in on itself during the latter episodes. The formerly brisk pace is sacrificed for an almost overbearing adherence to the mundane, and you're simply left with the gracious, which kind of rendered the remainder a formality. The series seems to exist as two distinct halves, as although the T&A was firmly present from the very beginning, its as though they suddenly decided there had not been enough. This results in two ridiculous episodes (6 & 7) as the story is temporarily shelved in service of increasing the fan-service quota, and it pretty much becomes the focus thereafter.

My disappointment was mainly reserved with the finale. Though that's not to say the series offered much in way of a conclusion, because, well, nothing really happens. I'm aware that this is a consequence of the adaptation bypassing the source material, but even so, its a wholly unsatisfying. And its fitting that it'd carry that Hollow Man quote as its parting shot, because it didn't end with a bang, it ended with a whimper.

Summary: Yes, it would be ridiculous for to deny that it isn't anything other than utterly low-brow, but it was sufficiently entertaining nonetheless. Also, dat scene, etc, etc.

Syrinx

K-ON!! 4

School trip to Kyoto. Fun. Throughout the whole thing, Ritsu and Yui drive Mio and Sawako crazy. Every two seconds they were off to somewhere else. I wouldn't have been able to deal with this. I go at a slow pace usually with these things. And Ritsu thinks that Kyoto-ans speak a different language or something, even though she's just putting "yo" at the end of everything she says.

Then they get lost, but magically end up back at the hotel after Mio hits her limit and just starts laughing hysterically. Guess they broke her.

Yui and Mugi feeding the monkeys was pretty cute.

Summary: Yes, it would be ridiculous for to deny that it isn't anything other than utterly low-brow, but it was sufficiently entertaining nonetheless. Also, dat scene, etc, etc.

Very nice write-up! I think I ultimately share the same opinion as you, though it has been awhile since I watched it.

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - 02

I'm very happy because episode 2 delivered exactly on what i was expecting.
The way the 3 players behave is the most intresting chemistry of "i don't care " characters in a long time and it seems they do respect the other 2 by quite a deal.

Mondaijitachi%20ga%20Isekai%20Kara%20Kuru%20Sou%20Desu%20yo%20-%2002.jpg

i honnestly can't wait to see this guy defeat and demise in episode 3.

Demon lord neko girl is alright and the bit of backstory was pretty intresting too .

9/10 i want more they better take the dog days route ( meaning let them run avok and all powerfull for flashy fights in their "i don't care " attitude. )

It'll be glorious !

Also :
iSmy1TzBQvYNj.gif

PERFECT !!

Branduil

She wrote a love letter to someone she wasn't interested in, hoping to get rejected but he said yes, and now she has a date with some guy hoping the MC wouldn't be okay with it but nope, cue kanna tears.

Is it really NTR in that case? Sounds more like karma to me.

This probably speaks more to my ever-slipping changing standards tastes that I even decided to revisit this particular series. I originally bought High School of The Dead on something of a whim, and as quaint as it may sound, I was unaware of what it actually was! Yes, I expected zombies, along with all the prerequisite gore that entails, but I can’t say the same for its other content. I think I managed to get through about an episode before I eventually dropped it altogether, under the pretense that yes, I would not stoop that low. So, having once again reached this juncture, what does that say about my standards? Well, I won’t dwell too much on that and instead get to the task at hand, boobs! Er, I mean zombies.

I think it’s safe to say that the onus of this show is firmly (lol) on the titillation, but can I hardly begrudge that, not when it commits itself with such enthusiasm. Watching the show, I struggle to fully determine whether or not I have steadily become desensitized to this sort of presentation, or I simply have come to accept it. Sure enough, I have been bombarded with enough images within the thread to support this theory, but I think it speaks to the manner in which it’s committed that undercuts some of those preconceptions. That’s to say that I’d probably feel differently, were the show not so unashamedly committed to its fan-service. And the horror genre has always gone hand-in hand with those elements anyway, so maybe that's is why I consider it palatable in this instance, where I usually avoid it entirely. So it seems kind of ridiculous to criticize for that aspect too harshly, despite feeling that it at times got in the way of my overall enjoyment.

I was surprised to find that from the offset, it maintains a good pace. Sure, there is nothing new about the way in which it depicts its zombie outbreak, and like most, it isn't really about the monsters anyway. Though it encounters problems whenever it attempts to soliloquize on the dehumanizing effect of human survival. But its impossible to take their plight seriously, especially when the zombie horde is simultaneously treated as a life-threatening/ a mild nuisance, depending on when it suits the narrative. In fact its probably the coziest example of a zombie apocalypse that I can remember, as the cast regularly stumble upon the necessary resources, as and when they need them. It helps to maintain the pace, but at the expense of any sort of tension.

It's strange that the show basically collapses in on itself during the latter episodes. The formerly brisk pace is sacrificed for an almost overbearing adherence to the mundane, and you're simply left with the gracious, which kind of rendered the remainder a formality. The series seems to exist as two distinct halves, as although the T&A was firmly present from the very beginning, its as though they suddenly decided there had not been enough. This results in two ridiculous episodes (6 & 7) as the story is temporarily shelved in service of increasing the fan-service quota, and it pretty much becomes the focus thereafter.

My disappointment was mainly reserved with the finale. Though that's not to say the series offered much in way of a conclusion, because, well, nothing really happens. I'm aware that this is a consequence of the adaptation bypassing the source material, but even so, its a wholly unsatisfying. And its fitting that it'd carry that Hollow Man quote as its parting shot, because it didn't end with a bang, it ended with a whimper.

Yep, before you know it, you will be just like me. Embrace it.
K-ON!! 4

School trip to Kyoto. Fun. Throughout the whole thing, Ritsu and Yui drive Mio and Sawako crazy. Every two seconds they were off to somewhere else. I wouldn't have been able to deal with this. I go at a slow pace usually with these things. And Ritsu thinks that Kyoto-ans speak a different language or something, even though she's just putting "yo" at the end of everything she says.

Then they get lost, but magically end up back at the hotel after Mio hits her limit and just starts laughing hysterically. Guess they broke her.

Yui and Mugi feeding the monkeys was pretty cute.

aSsXJ.gif

I really love this episode as it really feels like a group of highschool kids hanging out on a field trip. The next episode is also really nice as it ties in with what happened in this episode.

Taruranto

SSY #16

Suddenly, OP out of fucking nowhere!

Well, after an ugly beginning this arc has been rather decent. Hopefully they can keep the quality up, i'm eager to see where things will head. Didn't like Satoru/Saki in the end, they could have left that for the next episode, it felt kinda out of place.

Speculah: Maria and Mamoro are hiding with the rats, that's why Saki said they were tricking her.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This speaks volume about your earlier comments on Guilty Crown's animation being better than Eva's.

I've watched random episodes and most of the fight scenes. I just haven't watched the show in its entirety in one coherent fashion. I've made these comments before on irc and in the thread numerous times.

Branduil

SSY #16

Suddenly, OP out of fucking nowhere!

Well, after an ugly beginning this arc has been rather decent. Hopefully they can keep the quality up, i'm eager to see where things will head.

Speculah:
Maria and Mamoro are hiding with the rats, that's why Saki said they were tricking her.

That would lend an especially creepy edge to Squealer's comment about manufacturing corpses.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Arashi no Yoru ni 10
Completely out of context screenshot to placate Regulus
Sure, she enjoys it now, but wait until he eats her spleen.
This speaks volume about your earlier comments on Guilty Crown's animation being better than Eva's.
I've watched random episodes and most of the fight scenes. I just haven't watched the show in its entirety in one coherent fashion. I've made these comments before on irc and in the thread numerous times.
Let's be honest here, the animation in the Ramiel fight and the Ireul fight totally sucks.
because there's no animation lulz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom