• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have hypno-eyes of doom?

2FWby.gif

/XX/

The soundtrack for the first season of Medaka Box had several tracks I liked, for example Zenkichi's theme (カッ!), and the second one hasn't exactly disappointed me on successive listenings! Special mention to the, quite apt, kind-of detuned 'pub' piano version of Kumagawa's theme (『意味なんかないさ』). Very cool!

And in closer detail, the Ikuo Kuwana's typical style of illustration for the CD jacket (as was the one for the first soundtrack compilation, as well) is even more beautiful.

Speaking of Wasurenagumo, does anyone know who did these awesome cuts of the girl running around looking for the guy?

I remember everyone being surprised by them but I never saw anyone mention who could have possibly animated it.
Please, don't quote me on this as I'm not sure because I don't remember seeing any conclusive information on this matter, but I remember someone saying these cuts could have been worked on mainly by Shingo Takenaka. Don't know anything else myself, I'm not one who can usually identify the key animator involved as accurately as many others can...

Yesss! Come to Los Angeles and we will snort cocaine off of Hollywood hookers before we roll out to the finest anime store on the west coast!
I was thinking in more "refined and classy" pastimes, moments on which we could taste with tranquility the delicacy of that nice sherry... but all fine by me! I couldn't say no to that amazing hospitality!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Looking back on the Zetsuen no Tempest OP2, I think the song is really good and the animation is still pretty solid. I think the best part is when they show the montage of the supporting cast with stripes.

Steroyd

Then I assume all of you are gonna drop it now, right?

Me and Firehawk will probably be the only ones watching it in the end lol.

Is it really NTR in that case? Sounds more like karma to me.

She did it under the pretence of becoming "more popular" thanks to the guidance of the other girl.

Mentally it is to her at least.

"Op-pai. Op-pai. Op-pai."

I have just randomly thought of Oliver Twist with the lyrics changed to Op-pa-pai.

What kind of same-sex relationship, other than gay relationships, involves holding hands like that.

Guy love

The soundtrack for the first season of Medaka Box had several tracks I liked, for example Zenkichi's theme (カッ!), and the second one hasn't exactly disappointed me on successive listenings! Special mention to the, quite apt, kind-of detuned 'pub' piano version of Kumagawa's theme (『意味なんかないさ』). Very cool!

And in closer detail, the Ikuo Kuwana's typical style of illustration for the CD jacket (as was the one for the first soundtrack compilation, as well) is even more beautiful.

While we're on the subject, do you have any idea if the Kumagawa OP will ever get a full version, or if it was just there as a kind of Gainax troll? Can only listen to the 40 second version so many times.

Kazzy

I think that the music was certainly one of its big strengths. There is a few notable tracks that I listen to also, though I struggle to recall the names. Watch this space!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've never seen Ghost in a Shell either. Or a bunch of Toonami "classics".

I just jumped on board the most current season and kept with that mostly.

Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

I enjoyed it.

Fluid animation with a darker color palette but I don't mind. The plot follows the same as the series just sped up a bit. My empathy for Shinji returns just as it was when I was beginning to watch the episode series. Hopefully it will remain as I watch through the next 3 movies.

Nafe

Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monshou)

Episode 6

vD3kXgE.jpg

When the red holographic fish were initially first shown I somehow missed what they were. It was a pretty neat bit of future tech. though and done in a way I didn't really find to be intrusive or distracting

This episode showed how awesome Lafiel can be indeed. I could understand her being uncomfortable with being waited on hand and foot for every little minor thing or the servants treating even the most minor of slip-up as a major transgression. Sure it might be nice to have others do things for you at times but having it to that degree would be kind of annoying. I also didn't realize this type of outfit was even an anime thing back when this originally came out. Unless it's just supposed to be more of a general maid arousing type outfit and many anime just latched on to the whole maid cafe/servant idea in more recent times. I don't know, I don't really keep up with that sort of thing ,haha.

JM3lZXQ.jpg

This lead servants death glare here was pretty amusing. Whenever Jinto didn't watch his tongue and said something that could be offensive this shot was shown.

As far as new characters there was the Baron of the Febdash system who was introduced. He's pretty much the world's worst lair such as in this paraphrased conversation.

"Where is Jinto?"
"My father is currently entertaining him."
"Why doesn't your father join us for dinner?"
"He doesn't really like company."

Smooth. Even his alternate meaning behind how he phrases his next comments pretty much betray the answer to Lafiel's original question. Not to mention the fact that it was pretty obvious his intentions were that of dinner in the first place. He is voiced by Takehito Koyasu though who, even though he's done many roles, I usually associate him with Touga from Utena first. So he's got that going for him at least.

Haha, the dinner conversation isn't even a verbal jousting match but more of a verbal beat down by Lafiel. Even just the more subtle effortlessness she puts into it at the beginning.

"Go ahead and try the food."
"It's delicious"
"Thank you, your highness."
"I wasn't complimenting you. I was complimenting the cook."

His little eye twitches or how he word grimace slightly were well done. It was kind of funny how as I was following the conversation each time a question or thought would come to mind so to did it for Lafiel. The way the Baron mentioned
not wanting their ship to be picked up on any scanners or detectors leaving the system. I thought they could have already been detected
to which she mentioned immediately after. I suppose the Baron's latter arguments work maybe more into his favor but it's a big gamble.
He's pretty much risking everything on the fact that Lafiel and Jinto's ship hadn't been picked up by the United Humankind and that some ship in the vicinity of their destination, Sufugnoff, would notice the fleet in time to warn them.
There were a few shots, such as this, which weren't too subtle about his character, and didn't really display him holding the conversation in his favor as he clearly wasn't but were effective to add to the mood.

I also liked another example of how the show will focus on something visually but not entirely explain the significance at the time and come back to it later, such as with Lafiel's smile I mentioned in an earlier writeup. This shot for example where it focuses on the servant's necklace as she mentions she's grateful to the Baron. It is then later as part of the dinner conversation Lafiel mentions the servants display quite a bit of subservience almost to the point of being trained cats. It reminded me of the focus on the necklaces like they were some sort of collar just as a cat would wear.

I liked this shot at the end. The way Lafiel was smiling but with a victorious and more of a malicious type demeanor to her expression displaying her dislike for the Baron and her confidence in her upcoming victory over him.

This is still a really good show and it was an interesting back and forth this episode with Lafiel remaining calm and collected. The Baron may think he's in control of things but we'll see what Lafiel has to say about that in the next episode.

Mr.Jeff

Everytime I see one of those Crest posts, I get the urge to rewatch it. Well at least up until the first Banner anyway.

Perhaps I will after I suffer through the rest of Yami.

Clannad After Story 1 - 8

Signficantly better start than Clannad. I think Sunohara's story and plot was really really well done and so memorable and emotional.
The scene when he was fighting with Tomoya was really intense and saddening, though at least he finally shared all his feelings and even saying why he wasnt that mad at Tomoya and stuff with his Imouto, their bond and friendship and trust. Why the baseball team so rotten and corrupt?

Katsuki Shima and Yu were also really good characters and so glad they got at least two episodes of screentime.
Too bad Katsuki's was a dream, thought theyd add something supernatural here, and then the fight in the gang wars was rather powerful, though I think it had kind of a not good ending, if the gang leader was dead the whole time, she could have resolved this conflict much earlier

Clannad OP > After Story OP. ED is also less memorable than Dango.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Signficantly better start than Clannad. I think Sunohara's story and plot was really really well done and so memorable and emotional.
The scene when he was fighting with Tomoya was really intense and saddening, though at least he finally shared all his feelings and even saying why he wasnt that mad at Tomoya and stuff with his Imouto, their bond and friendship and trust. Why the baseball team so rotten and corrupt?

Katsuki Shima and Yu were also really good characters and so glad they got at least two episodes of screentime.
Too bad Katsuki's was a dream, thought theyd add something supernatural here, and then the fight in the gang wars was rather powerful, though I think it had kind of a not good ending, if the gang leader was dead the whole time, she could have resolved this conflict much earlier

Glad you're pushing through. I really enjoyed After Story.

stryke

Man, I wish I was able to watch Clannad "for the first time" again.

fuzaco

This season turned out to be much better than I thought. Two of my favorites are ones that I didn't even plan to watch because they didn't seem interesting at all (Kotoura-san and Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?).

Minami-ke is also pretty good, but still not as good as the first season. Other than that, I'm watching Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, which I strangely like even though I never cared about Spice and Wolf and they're very similar. And there is ZKC: The Unlimited, which is fine for now, but it's Manglobe so I don't expect much at all.

Btw, anyone here watched the Sora no Kiseki OVA's? Are they worth watching if I only played the first game?
:(

OceanBlue

Just watched Love Live episode 1. Despite thinking that I should like it and multiple people recommending it to me saying that it seemed like my type of show, something really bothers me about it. The animation during the non-CG dances is good and, to me, the OP does a good job blending CG and regular animation, but I don't like the timing on the animation (not really sure how to describe this); despite liking multiple shows with a similar plot setup, I couldn't get used to the pacing; I didn't really like the characters for some reason; and I've never really been a fan of Love Live's character designs.

I'll probably stick with it and see if I change my mind, but I was really surprised at how a lot of things that I usually like didn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom