• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Busters! 15
tumblr_mgwja91szt1r3gmivo1_500.png
tumblr_mgwjhrumo41r3gmivo1_500.png

Really awesome episode even if it was just a girls night and buys night. My otp got so much love, Kyousukes true feelings even, then
riki bath scene to the girl outfit thing was compelling for some reason

I really want the ost so many good songs.

Shergal

I didn't mind Yui at all in the original OP. I really liked that, in fact. But she's just singing too high, and the song is too damn fast for its own good.

ED is really good, though.

I think that's the actual problem with that OP. It's too damn hyperactive, and goes into very high notes that don't mix well with Toyosaki's voice.

The next OP is much better, though I still prefer S1's OP.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You also like CG dance PreCures. You cannot be trusted.
I do too. Well HC's second one anyway.
One day, the rest of AnimeGAF will join us in the next evolutionary step. CGI is in our DNA.
At least we can agree that Cagayake! Girls > *, right?
I don't like it. There's nothing interesting going on in that song. At least in Go! Go! Maniac the maddening pace is fun to listen to.

cajunator

Banned
One day, the rest of AnimeGAF will join us in the next evolutionary step. CGI is in our DNA.

I don't like it. There's nothing interesting going on in that song. At least in Go! Go! Maniac the maddening pace is fun to listen to.

Well, Like I said, Im not fond of the song but Yui dancing in the OP is SUPER CUTE.

K-ON!! 5

So while the seniors are having a super fun time in Kyoto, Azu-nyan is lonely back up home. So she goes to a sleepover with Ui and Jun at Ui's house, where Ui, unsurprisingly, serves too much food. Did Jun seriously mix the donuts and sushi and eat them together? That's...perverse, to say the least.

Throughout the couple of days, they receive pics and texts from Yui reminding them just how much fun they're having in Kyoto. Meanwhile, it's rainin' in their town (Sakura?). So they go to batting cages, where Ui hits a homerun and wins a giant stuffed turtle. Which reminds Azusa that she hasn't fed the pet turtle. And she's supposed to be the responsible one, along with Mio, and Mugi I guess. She does, and then she has a nice jam session with Ui and Jun. Wasn't the greatest sounding thing, though it was just two guitars and an organ. It was a charming little scene, though. They make the rain go away.
uTiQ5.gif

A very fun episode. The dynamic of Jun, Azusa, and Ui is great. The episodes with them hanging out are some of the best.
I didn't mind Yui at all in the original OP. I really liked that, in fact. But she's just singing too high, and the song is too damn fast for its own good.

ED is really good, though.
Yes, though I might say the Second ED is even better than the first!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
oh god, cdig's a junior so it was a perma, wasn't it? NOT LIKE THIS

This season turned out to be much better than I thought. Two of my favorites are ones that I didn't even plan to watch because they didn't seem interesting at all (Kotoura-san and Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?).

Minami-ke is also pretty good, but still not as good as the first season. Other than that, I'm watching Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, which I strangely like even though I never cared about Spice and Wolf and they're very similar. And there is ZKC: The Unlimited, which is fine for now, but it's Manglobe so I don't expect much at all.

Btw, anyone here watched the Sora no Kiseki OVA's? Are they worth watching if I only played the first game?
:(

LOL how times change.

@Smile Precure 47

Heartcatch 48 has finally been topped. Jesus Christ.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

You said Smile 43 was the bestest thing ever and that was a lie. Not sure if I can trust you anymore.

smh even I can get past my Reika hate to see that 43 is pretty damned great.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
smh even I can get past my Reika hate to see that 43 is pretty damned great.
The sakuga is great, but the entire narrative built around Reika's sudden internal conflict makes absolutely no sense considering how her character had been depicted during the rest of the show. The writers wanted me to feel empathy for a character that had not been built successfully before, and it all comes across as manipulative and melodramatic for the sake of melodrama. She's a shitty Precure and no amount of good animation will change that.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 17
tumblr_mgwmsw26bF1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_mgwmsw26bF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Actually I dont think we have, considering its like a whole new pool facility, Koizumi brought something new to the pool, the list is one column instead of two, and the restaurant is different. I dont know when he says that line about the scene it makes me laugh, perhaps something is wrong with me as Im enjoying these episodes a bit too much just for the sake of the lines and finding differences.

Though I still get a bit annoyed at the end where everyone is clueless and watch Haruhi leave and then hes like he'll not do his homework and let his next self worry about it. Shouldnt they be holding a brainstorm sessions to find someway out of this situation. Haruhi cant really be that complicated to not be able to figure out what they need to do in order to satisfy her for this summer? Koizumi embrace suggestion may work I think. Unless of course there is some other unknown method that Im just not seeing to escape. If they can really logically pull something mindblowing to resolve this situation I will be thoroughly impressed

Nafe

Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monshou)

Episode 7

xyCgpKE.jpg

We're sorry, the caller you have dialed is currently out of range or their device is turned off.

I forget exactly how that goes but that's what came to mind and the wording in the scene basically says that anyway. Also, everybody that is of royal standing has really long names in this show. It would be a pain to try and have to remember all of them. I actually quite liked the computer voice during that conversation though. Lafiel also proves there is more than one way to get the information you want. Although, regarding the Baron's father, it does kind of make you wonder why
the Baron maybe didn't just kill him. I suppose it's one more thing he can rein over but he doesn't even really like him anyway.

Speaking of the Baron, it seems he really did show his true nature this episode.
He's pretty indecisive the way he totally changed plans while thinking what to do. He's also pretty petty. He's willing to pretty much give up everything all so he can control a small bit of nothing in the middle of nowhere. He's not even really ruling over anything when he even just accepts the bare minimum of vassals and such.
The conversation later in the episode with the father shows that he knows what he's like and pretty much uses a metaphor to make the same remarks or come to the same conclusions.

This shot was kind of interesting as it was shown when Jinto was remarking about his father and how he came into being in the Abh empire. In case you can't tell, that's supposed to be a fan blade at the end of the shaft there. One could look at it as he had to travel down a dangerous path in the past but somehow made it through to get where he is today. Although one could say he lost some things because of it perhaps as well despite that.

I thought the character art this episode was pretty good actually. Especially on Lafiel as she was more of the main focus. The look and animation of her hair was nice again too. Speaking of Lafiel, she becoming one of my favorite main female protagonists in anime. It's nice to have someone that's human and has some weaknesses but she's also smart,strong, brave and independent either innately or if she has to be. While it still looks like there will be a romance somewhere down the line between her and Jinto at least it's not like a modern harem show or something where the girls just do whatever to appease the lead or fall for them just because.

Pwnw9S6.jpg

Nice guns ;)

I didn't catch onto it last episode but because Seelnay had more screen time I recognized her as Ikue Ohtani, who does the voice of a character in Sailor Moon Stars but I'll mark the character's name as it might be enough to be a spoiler for those who haven't seen the show. She voices
Sailor Tin Nyanko.

The last line by Jinto at the end of the episode is rather ominous as well...Actually, the way Jinto seems to be narrating what's happening in a past tense again reminds me of Shin Sekai Yori or From the New World in how Saki seems to be narrating that story from a more present time in a past tense wording.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The sakuga is great, but the entire narrative built around Reika's sudden internal conflict makes absolutely no sense considering how her character had been depicted during the rest of the show. The writers wanted me to feel empathy for a character that had not been built successfully before, and it all comes across as manipulative and melodrama for the sake of melodrama. She's a shitty Precure and no amount of good animation will change that.

See, I've never really bought this argument because I thought that the episode did probably the best thing that it could have with a boring perfect non-character by making her finally rebel against the influences causing her to be a non-character--the whole issue of Reika being conflicted over putting her own happiness above her success and her family's expectations for the first time was, I thought, a pretty effective way of summarizing how the rest of the cast had influenced her over the course of the show.

You can argue about whether or not her change of heart was realistic because of how short-sighted her decision was, but for a single episode, it's a good salvage operation that managed to humanize her for me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Little Busters! 15
tumblr_mgwja91szt1r3gmivo1_500.png
tumblr_mgwjhrumo41r3gmivo1_500.png

Really awesome episode even if it was just a girls night and buys night. My otp got so much love, Kyousukes true feelings even, then
riki bath scene to the girl outfit thing was compelling for some reason

I really want the ost so many good songs.

Whoa.... Is this the Wafuu show?

fuzaco

LOL how times change.

I know, right? Their older shows like Samurai Champloo and Michiko no Hatchin were great, but everything they've made in the last few years were mediocre at best.

Thanks, I guess I'll watch it. It's not like I'll ever play the other games, so I guess it doesn't really matter if it spoils stuff.

rpmurphy

Season's kinda slow, so ended up watching through Mitsudomoe, misunderstandings gag show. Pretty funny, and characters are well done. The tokusatsu hero parody episode was quite the bit. No DVD/BLs in the US, why Aniplex?

Theonik

Also, everybody that is of royal standing has really long names in this show. It would be a pain to try and have to remember all of them
It's not all that complicated if you put them down. Basically works like:
Family name + no idea but seems to be shared across the family + first name of the starter of the family + noble title + domain + first name.
For practical purposes though they obviously don't use it all!
For Jinto it's:
Lin Shu Rock Yalulug Dril Hydal Jinto. Lin being his family name, His father being called Rock Lin (hence the Rock in there) and being in control of the Hydal region.
Hope this helps with the mnemonics!
Although, regarding the Baron's father, it does kind of make you wonder why
the Baron maybe didn't just kill him. I suppose it's one more thing he can rein over but he doesn't even really like him anyway.
He is embarrassed of his father being a teran but still can't kill his own father so keeps him hidden.

Speaking of the Baron, it seems he really did show his true nature this episode.
He's pretty indecisive the way he totally changed plans while thinking what to do. He's also pretty petty. He's willing to pretty much give up everything all so he can control a small bit of nothing in the middle of nowhere. He's not even really ruling over anything when he even just accepts the bare minimum of vassals and such.
The conversation later in the episode with the father shows that he knows what he's like and pretty much uses a metaphor to make the same remarks or come to the same conclusions.
His reasoning is the same here as well. He is second generation Abh nobility, and being that his family doesn't have any long abh tradition he sees himself as inferior and is obsessed by this fact so much that even though he reigns over virtually nothing he can't give that up as that's the only thing he has. Dude's got some major inferiority complex.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
See, I've never really bought this argument because I thought that the episode did probably the best thing that it could have with a boring perfect non-character by making her finally rebel against the influences causing her to be a non-character--the whole issue of Reika being conflicted over putting her own happiness above her success and her family's expectations for the first time was, I thought, a pretty effective way of summarizing how the rest of the cast had influenced her over the course of the show.

You can argue about whether or not her change of heart was realistic because of how short-sighted her decision was, but for a single episode, it's a good salvage operation that managed to humanize her for me.
I would buy this argument had Reika actually shown any signs of hesitation at the expectations her family had for her academic success before. They come close to doing so in the episode where she decides to quit being the class rep but ultimately hand wave the resolution without truly expanding on what the consequences of such a decision would have entailed. My problem here is that there's no actual build-up beforehand to her emotional climax in 43 --whereas every other character had defined arcs that reached a nadir in the character-focused arc that surrounded her. Akane's realisation of the value of friendship, Nao's care and worry for her family, Yayoi's focus of her hobbies into something more meaningful that at the same time gave her confidence towards tackling her problems by herself, and even Miyuki's revelation of the origins of her genkiness were all little pieces of character drama that were interwoven with the sillier monster of the week formula. I don't feel that with Ms. Perfect McPerfectinton from Perfecton City.

As a stand-alone it probably is a lot better than I give it credit for, but I cannot distance my judgment of that episode from the rest because what had followed immediately before successfully built on the threads for each of the Cures. It's bad planning for a bad character that leaves me unsatisfied with its narrative outcome. But the sakuga was good!

So Crunchyroll is letting me stream My Little Monster episode 1 in 1080p without being a member or using the 14-day free trial. This is not the first time this has happened. This seems to only apply to the first episode since I just tried to load episode 2 and it is streaming in SD. I wish this would happen more.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So Crunchyroll is letting me stream My Little Monster episode 1 in 1080p without being a member or using the 14-day free trial. This is not the first time this has happened. This seems to only apply to the first episode since I just tried to load episode 2 and it is streaming in SD. I wish this would happen more.
It happened to me with Chihayafuru 2 earlier today. It seems like they are trying to bait us into buying an account.

After getting a premium account, I can never go back. Even without the whole week wait thing, I could never deal with the ads or lack of HD videos. There's no escape once you bite the bullet.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Crunchyroll on Vita is when I finally lay down the cash moniez. Even when the games stop coming, it can still be my pocket animu device
for OLED danbooru browsing too :q

cjkeats

Still waiting for that Vita app.

Still waiting for that PS3 app to suck less.

Still waiting.

I'll start waiting for the Vita app when the PS3 app isn't hot garbage. The 360 app is perfectly fine though, even with the poor 360 style interface.

PC to TV is still the most efficient way to use crunchyroll for me me though, even if it is a pain in the ass to hook my macbook to my TV.

Theonik

Not all bans are permas if you're a junior. I hope this one wasn't. AnimeGAF has lost enough people lately as it is.
Junior bans are only always perma for real juniors. Dunce-hat juniordom follows the same rules as normal bans in essence. So depends on offence, past bans etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom