• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What could they be doing instead? OPs and EDs tend to be something different and unique in a show because they are specifically budgeted as such, and it is easier to attract special talent to work on a one-off short sequence. There are many times where people who work on the OP/ED sequences for a show don't even work on the show itself. If OP/EDs didn't exist they won't be working on the show at all. So your logic is flawed.
Fine duckroll, you win this round, but I shall prevail, one day.

Perception of art. He originally said that all those songs were superficial stuff, which I would presume pop music also falls under. So AW's OP is just another pop song, while Bebop's OP is a jazz piece which was deemed artistically worthy to feature in a jazz festival. Whether or not that is important to anyone else, is an entirely different point! :)

Oh okay, that makes more sense.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Actually the opening is adressing the main character attitude , skill and problems and even past . while presenting 2 side characters revelant to the plot in their "roles" .
You see a quick "vash the stampede" with a bounty , you see bullets and guns .. this opening does present the anime properly.
As for the music , it's rough because that's what the world we're going to visit is .

i honnestly think this opening does his job well of presenting everything properly. and the 2 guns are put nicely in front of your eyes because well the connexion they have on the name and the plot. BUt seeing it again i do see some flaw problems that could have been corrected ..but i think they are minor at best

I don't really think that you could infer some of that without foreknowledge of the show, though. It all makes sense in retrospect, but if I'm watching it for the first time, all you can really glean is "there's a dude in a red trenchcoat and he has a gun and I guess his name is Vash the Stampede". I'm not really a big fan of overly-literal or expository visuals in OPs, though.

Heh Trigun is a show DTL might actually like given his completely superficial criteria for what makes a show "good".

If DTL hasn't had a Vash x Wolfwood folder on his computer for years then he's doing it very wrong.

Jintor

I don't really think that you could infer most of that without foreknowledge of the show, though. It makes sense in retrospect, but if I'm watching it for the first time, all you can really glean is "there's a dude in a red trenchcoat and he has a gun and I guess his name is Vash the Stampede". I'm not really a big fan of overly-literal or expository visuals in OPs, though.

That's okay, that's all you can really gleam from Bebop's opening. I think it just conveys the style of the show well.

Narag

I don't really think that you could infer most of that without foreknowledge of the show, though. It makes sense in retrospect, but if I'm watching it for the first time, all you can really glean is "there's a dude in a red trenchcoat and he has a gun and I guess his name is Vash the Stampede". I'm not really a big fan of overly-literal or expository visuals in OPs, though.

I think the jp OP had the villain of the week in it too which sort of gave it a serialized adventure feel. Not sure if that was ever corrected in NA.

Isn't that how most OPs are like? You're most likely not going to understand it until you actually watch some of the show.
Because I'm a jerk like that! :lol

actually, I just don't think their "top anime" list is all that great considering that it's probably become the internet's #1 resource for new fans.

You can fix this by watching K-ON!

I understand what you're getting at.

I don't really think that you could infer some of that without foreknowledge of the show, though. It all makes sense in retrospect, but if I'm watching it for the first time, all you can really glean is "there's a dude in a red trenchcoat and he has a gun and I guess his name is Vash the Stampede". I'm not really a big fan of overly-literal or expository visuals in OPs, though.

i think it's only fair to judge an OP merits after you've watched the show.
Not understanding what's going on before you've even watched ep1 to know who is "vash" is a given at this point.

As long as we're talking Cowboy Bebop music, can I post this cool link of a military band playing the Sax Quartet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzv4XzrLT5Q

kudos to them ..it's really hard to do ..i guess the wide appeal of beebop is proven.

Trigun is worth watching? If funimation has it guess Ill queue it up eventually.
You don't know trigun ? don't forget to post impressions!!!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Nekomonogatari [Black] - 02

qTRkH.png

Hooooly shit! Like Jman said, shit just got real!

Looking forward to the next episode/part.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's okay, that's all you can really gleam from Bebop's opening. I think it just conveys the style of the show well.

Bebop's OP is just so stylish that it could be trying to convey pretty much anything and I'd like it just as well! I'm in no way opposed to OPs that attempt to convey the basic identities of their characters, but Trigun's OP just falls flat for me because there's no creativity, artistry, non-literal imagery, or anything else visually stimulating.

I think the jp OP had the villain of the week in it too which sort of gave it a serialized adventure feel. Not sure if that was ever corrected in NA.

Hmm. I've only ever watched the NA DVDs long ago and I honestly can't remember, although the version that R_Thanatos linked had the bad guy from the very first episode so I'll have to refer to later OPs for myself to figure this out.

Jintor

Bebop's OP is just so stylish that it could be trying to convey pretty much anything and I'd like it just as well! I'm in no way opposed to OPs that attempt to convey the basic identities of their characters, but Trigun's OP just falls flat for me because there's no creativity, artistry, non-literal imagery, or anything else visually stimulating.

I think that god damn power metal guitar carries it a long, long way, even if the visuals are relatively flat

Shangri-La 1
A girl gets let out of prison. The guard says "no one's here" when she walks outside, which makes me imagine that this whole series is in the girl's head. Or perhaps it was just a weird way of setting up some atmosphere so they could completely break it with the goofy group of people that show up to take the girl home.
K7CTn.png

Is that Leeron?
leeron%20ref.jpg
We get some background on the girl and how she's a free spirit who doesn't want to inherit responsibility. We also get to see some of the interesting world she lives in.
oBoXW.png

Beyblades are back
We get some really awkward exposition on the world (with characters saying "let me recap" and "I already know this!"). We learn about how countries are taxed for carbon emission, and how some loli can hack the system and lower the output rate of your country, with the help of a holographic Dragonair. And of course it's a loli who is so superior to all the grown men and can push them around and manipulate the system, and of course we get to see her acting childish/insane to further drive home her quirky geniusness. Oh, and there's a princess loli who gets driven around and is oblivious as her group of guards kill some people.

Finally the army of the evil empire corporation(?) shows up in the happy hometown of our main character to mess things up and motivate them to fight and adventure. We get to see how powerful our main cast is as they take down some soldiers with guns using only a boomerang, a whip, and
CPjPo.png

Uh...yeah.
And there's a set of knives that people from all three (?) factions we were introduced to have one of that do something fancy and intriguing. Overall, it seems like it could be interesting.

Honestly, I went into this with only the main girl's design to go on, and it is a nice design.
But I'm not feeling many of the other characters so far. I'd be happy to watch cute girl fight people with her cyber-boomerang, but I'm worried that everyone else in the show and the plot itself will bring it down.

(This was my first attempt at making an indepth impressions post with screens and everything)

Code:Breaker 12-end

That sure was different from the manga. Not gonna lie, the Code:Breakers
all using their powers to stop Hitomi from killing the prime minister at the same time
was badass as hell. Also seems like nothing came of that incredibly subtle foreshadowing in the OP, but ah well, it's not like they'd get that far anyway and I was probably just imagining it.

Interesting take on the source material, but Ogami was still an insufferable prick and Sakura was still an inconsistent buzzkill that was way too forgiving and didn't stick to her guns.
She probably could have beat Hitomi's ass if she could take out a bunch of gang members with little effort. Powers don't work on her, so it's kind of bullshit she can't even put up a fight.

Now I can finally say bye to this piece of shit franchise until the manga finishes.

Narag

Hmm. I've only ever watched the NA DVDs long ago and I honestly can't remember, although the version that R_Thanatos linked had the bad guy from the very first episode so I'll have to refer to later OPs for myself to figure this out.

I might be misremembering all told. Pretty sure why they use that first guy throughout though. The still with the first episode villain is sort of wasted as is and it'd be easy to slot other stills into that part.

On this subject: ATTN: wonzo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_L1qWHMu8

initial d 5th stage 3-4

woo some actual racing and less drama shit. Eurobeat is still top notch and characters are still ugly(ier) as ever.

They put a lot of effort into keeping the characters ugly. You can see the extra detail introduced by the HD age. I almost lost it when they drew the girls lips like a bent innertube; it felt like I was hit with a whacky stick made of nostalgia :)

Shakugan no Shana 05

You know for an episode where the Kugiloli did pretty much nothing, I really wasn't paying much attention. Side characters were doing something, I guess the plot is gearing up even though there aren't really enough useful players to really do anything at this point.

Solune

Rich Man, Poor Woman - Episode 8

Oh my gawd! This show is a joy to watch, some of the best entertainment I have experienced in a long time!

A moment that would bring even the great DTL to his knees!

Everything from this point onwards was just crazy. The drama was so damn delicious!

It's not the end of the world when you have a Waifu by your side!

The soundtrack once gave made each scene very powerful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLncMKhcD795UEnsruNRR_p2RUVG4YRlst&v=YUFQgstkW8g&feature=player_detailpage#t=27s

3 episodes remaining + a special this Spring, bring it on!

Sweet, listen to this remix of the OP too MNight!

cajunator

Banned

Everything Akarin does is so cute. She's amazing.

I think the next animes on my list are Code Breaker, Yuru Yuri, Cowboy Bebop, or the rest of Kokoro Connect.

Yuru Yuri and Cowboy Bebop.

Yeah, that's fair. I don't cosplay but if I did I would naturally want to look like the character I was trying to portray as much as possible. Unless I was doing some kind of spoof or something naturally.

There's actually some interesting fan art featuring Miku, such as this picture I screen capped off of a YouTube video. I don't know what the source is yet.

njOAY.jpg

You could just wear a bra with some kind of padding to it to get a bust line. If it's under your clothes no one will know. ;)

I dont normally cosplay either but I did go to a convention with a long sleeved white shirt and my hair messed up like L. I can do all his mannerisms, and I had a flip phone which I held the same way and everything. I even have kind of long fingers/hands so I look like L taking a sip of sugary coffee or eating a candy treat. It was a big hit and I hadnt really changed a lot about myself (because I'm kind of like L anyway)

Let us meet each other!

What in the hell is Yayoi holding and why do I want one so badly?

Yes. I am not just saying that so I can see you draw more lewd females. But I do know that women like bold and brash displays of confidence. My suggestion is to masturbate in public.

You're lovely - but your use of the word glomp is telling of your age darling. Aren't you just an innocent little girl? Come now... you are of age, aren't you? It is time you learned how to properly use a
mascara and blush set.

The limitless depth of brotherly love knows no bounds... and recognizes no such legal contracts!

*blushes...but..I am innocent, like duckroll! ^o^

Gunsmith Cats OP > Cowboy Bebop OP

You are absolutely correct, though both have similar audio and visual styles.
Cowboy Bebop's seemingly inspired by the true king, Gunsmith Cats.

Openings are one of those things I like but are so superfluous who the fuck cares.

This makes me kind of sad. a great opening/closing is the perfect bookend for a great show. If its memorable/catchy/moody enough I will watch it every time, like I did most recently with Steins;Gate. I love that OP so much. I also enjoyed that after a certain episode, every single thing in that OP made complete sense all of a sudden.

I think a good opening can help enhance a show by setting a tone or describing the show in ninety seconds (or give a false sense of mood in the case of Madoka), but the fact that a sizeable portion of people admit to skipping them tells me their contribution to a work rarely goes beyond what jingles do to television commercials.

That might be true but like ducky said it could have to do with the method of watching the media or if a person just wants to get to the show itself quickly. A lot of times I just cant help skipping it because I want to see what happens next.

I dont think going without much lyrics was a really good move on their part. Perhaps if they traded it with some type of "cowboyish" vocal sound it would have sounded much better. It just makes for something that is less memorable than say some catchy words or just some phrase/verse that captures the idea of what Im watching. Consider burst through gravity, Ill never forget that "now tell me where you wanna go, to accel world" etc. What do I have to remember Cowboy Bebop by? Perhaps it is as you say the visuals. Well I will probably always remember the three guns part as well as those space ships, but for the show as a whole, did they really always have space fights (I think I mentioned in my summary of the series that that was a misleading aspect as many of the episodes only had such an event after 17+ minutes of boring antics no one cared about involving Faye or whatever). Dont think what they did would really be considered space hunt, at least, in terms of the purpose of the Bebop.

I guess I interpreted spikes motions in the op as being what he ought to have been or what the main character would be like. If character is epic in the opening then they ought to be that way in the anime and vice versa. If we take what you said as falling, then perhaps it ought not be surprising as to Spike's performance during the duration of the anime.

Many OP's have nice lyrics and great hooks, but Cowboy Bebop's is a bit special. Maybe it is my love of Jazz (Im from Louisiana remember?) but that opening struck a cord deep within me. I wont ever forget those notes or visuals. they are forever ingrained into my experience with anime and the first time I witnessed it. Its such a rousing piece of music, combined with so much style and a surprising amount of substance, however abstract. Its one of my favorite anime openings for certain. Another favorite though way overplayed is Evangelion's.

back from florida to animus.

medaka box s2 12

shouldn't have watched this after 12 hr drive. my brain is fart.

Christmas red-nosed Natsume is gone :(
At least she's still there though.

Nafe

It's like on one of the latest pages, it's not hard to miss!

I think it's about like rival schools or something? I don't really know, I've been purposely keeping myself in the dark so I don't spoil myself when the game comes out here in the west. Of course, I guess that doesn't really matter now that an anime adaptation is airing soon...

Ok, I think I saw it and I actually think you posted that in the anime thread when cajunator was asking people to post pictures of New Years or maybe it was more specifically kimonos. One very similar to it anyway. You know, Mio's on the busty side and you can't really tell there so maybe kimonos can hide it then. Either that or KyoAni is just being classy as Chitanda is bustier too and you can't really tell when she's wearing a kimono either.

Well, games like all three of the Dead or Alive Volleyball games have been released in English so Senran Kagura may still have a chance, who knows.

I can assure you it consistently remains pretty good! even if the series post-crest aren't as consistent in terms of quality, they have some of the best moments in the series, which make up for that.

Ok, sounds great. :)

Haha, apparently I need to take a look at Inferno Cop.

I was probably going to anyway...

Nice that someone else is watching this, I just finished the third Banner of the Stars series myself. It seems like you are liking it so far, that's good! The character designs can be a bit odd at times but that's the 90s for you. (for the most part, the 90s didn't all follow that model)
And yes, the series is based on a set of novels and the author did try to create his own language as a means of world building for the Abh and others. I really like it when works of fiction do that. Actually the whole series deserves credit for that but you will get to experience it first hand. (going pretty far in trying to define its setting that is)

Yeah, I saw your posts on Banner of the Stars. Unfortunately I feel bad for not reading too much into them just so I can come into the series not really knowing what to expect. Maybe I should have bookmarked them to read later. Well, I can always try searching for them later I suppose.

You've read the novels then or just read things about them? Was just wandering what you thought of the novels and how they compare if you have.

It's been over a decade since I've seen this, and even then I remember barely anything about it.

YuYu Hakusho 1

why have I gone on this long without watching this

Had no time to watch past episode 1 but it was so good. I faintly remembering watching and liking it as a kid when it was on Toonami or whatever, but now I'm way into anime and appreciate it so much more. Obviously it's not fantastic(yet) because I'm still not past the first episode, but it can only get better I assume. kuwabara's the best btw

Yes, it's a great show, and Kuwabara is indeed the best.

The series really does hit its stride as it goes on. You have a lot of great stuff to look forward to.

Ok, I think I saw it and I actually think you posted that in the anime thread when cajunator was asking people to post pictures of New Years or maybe it was more specifically kimonos. One very similar to it anyway. You know, Mio's on the busty side and you can't really tell there so maybe kimonos can hide it then. Either that or KyoAni is just being classy as Chitanda is bustier too and you can't really tell when she's wearing a kimono either.

Well, games like all three of the Dead or Alive Volleyball games have been released in English so Senran Kagura may still have a chance, who knows.

I probably did, I just wanted you to take a look in the K-ON! thread! And Mio seems to be someone who wears stuff that doesn't accentuate her bust.

And with the comments the Producer of Senran Kagura has been saying, I'm more hopeful now than ever before!

wonzo

Banned
I might be misremembering all told. Pretty sure why they use that first guy throughout though. The still with the first episode villain is sort of wasted as is and it'd be easy to slot other stills into that part.

On this subject: ATTN: wonzo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_L1qWHMu8
It's a real shame someone would defile the greatness of Musashi Gundoh by associating it with something as mediocre as Trigun. What a crime against art and humanity.

On the advice of Duckroll, I am requesting aid remembering an old Anime movie I watched when I was young.

It aired on a Canadian TV station called "Space", during the late 90s. I can't remember if it was dubbed or subbed.

Vague description from memory:
Most of it took place in the desert, a group of mercenaries or ex-military(at least two females in the group). They did not wear formal military wear, was sort of like Cowboy Bebop dusters and survival gear. Seems like a post-apocalyptic setting with a mix of high and low tech(akin to Nausicaa).

This small group is wandering the desert with a tank, and find this old ruined city with a giant metal tower/castle at its center. City is mostly mud huts, but get progressively more advanced the closer to the tower, with many being built out of salvaged metal.

They find this place, and after wandering into the city all hell breaks loose. Flying things from the tower attack, they are not typical machines, they look something akin to an Eva or something out of guyver. Shoot-out proceeds while they try to flee to the tower to hide.

Animation style was very close to Dominion Tank Police movies.

What it's not:
Eat Man
Spriggan
Big Wars
Crystal Triangle
Venus Wars
Desert Punk
MD Geist

Dead or Alive was already a big fighting game franchise when they released the spinoff Xtreme titles. Senran Kagura is a bit different there, being an original IP and also having heavy anime influence which isn't exactly a driver of game sales in the West. Who knows, if the anime ends up being successful they might consider a localized release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom