• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, the Trigun music makes everything it touches badass.

It's a real shame someone would defile the greatness of Musashi Gundoh by associating it with something as mediocre as Trigun. What a crime against art and humanity.
I know you are just joking, but between this post and DTL's constant Cowboy Bebop abuse, I just can't take it anymore. My heart and brain have been torn asunder. My spirit is no longer capable of feeling love or joy. Just bury me already.

On the advice of Duckroll, I am requesting aid remembering an old Anime movie I watched when I was young.

It aired on a Canadian TV station called "Space", during the late 90s. I can't remember if it was dubbed or subbed.

Vague description from memory:
Most of it took place in the desert, a group of mercenaries or ex-military(at least two females in the group). They did not wear formal military wear, was sort of like Cowboy Bebop dusters and survival gear. Seems like a post-apocalyptic setting with a mix of high and low tech(akin to Nausicaa).

This small group is wandering the desert with a tank, and find this old ruined city with a giant metal tower/castle at its center. City is mostly mud huts, but get progressively more advanced the closer to the tower, with many being built out of salvaged metal.

They find this place, and after wandering into the city all hell breaks loose. Flying things from the tower attack, they are not typical machines, they look something akin to an Eva or something out of guyver. Shoot-out proceeds while they try to flee to the tower to hide.

Animation style was very close to Dominion Tank Police movies.

What it's not:
Eat Man
Spriggan
Big Wars
Crystal Triangle
Venus Wars
Desert Punk
MD Geist

What decade would you say the animation was from. <70's, 70's, 80's, and 90's all have distinctive styles (imo) and being a foreign broadcast, I'm wondering if its older than 90's when it was shown on Canadian TV.

wonzo

Banned
Am I the only one who watched Inferno Cop? Because I shouldn't be, it's amazing.
of course not

iU9UZxEs1LbW2.gif

cajunator

Banned
Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito 11

Okay, I think I may-MAY-have reached the point that Hitokage was talking about where it seems like I have some modicum of an idea of what's going on before it pulls out the rug from underneath me like a bastard.

Okay. The princes is Eve. I kinda figured that out. And she turned into a frog from the curse. Sense? The show's writers ask, "What is this thing you call 'sense'?" I know the episode used frogs as symbolism, but it really dlesn't apply at all to the princess herself at all, which makes it doubly stupid. But anyway, she's back, and she's in the Gardens of whatnot.

And so are Hatsuki and Ririsu, after the spaceship stint that doesn't seem to have served any purpose whatsoever. How did they get there? Random shit. [Anyway, she thinks the princess i Hatsumi. Hatsumi and the princess are Eve, wheich Ririsu realizes. And Garugantua wants to marry Eve because...this is something that makes fucking NO sense in any way shape or form.

Say goodbye to your brain. You are about to encounter a REVELATION. Heeheeheheheheehe

You didn't like Jojo's op bro? :(

Was totally gonna say this. Sometimes it fuckin WORKS.

Lol, amazing.

Also, watching the Tsubasa Chronicles OP only reminds me of how much I dislike Bee Train.

Aww. I love Bee Train. One of my favorite studios. Probably because I like the subject matter of most of their shows and character designs.
Noir for example has an excellent stylish and atmospheric OP (and one of Ali Project's more tolerable songs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch8QLdBiDqI

Trigun is worth watching? If funimation has it guess Ill queue it up eventually.

Fuck yeah it is worth watching! You might even like it!

I dunno, at least it's better than sticking "Nya" everywhere

I dunno what Neko said before editing, but "nya" should only be attempted by a few seiyuu, most particularly goddess Haruko Momoi who voiced Feris Nyan Nyan specifically because she can do the nekomimi thing REALLY well. Oh and there was that supremely talented voice actress who did the Neko scene in Bakemonagatari.

Shangri-La 1

A girl gets let out of prison. The guard says "no one's here" when she walks outside, which makes me imagine that this whole series is in the girl's head. Or perhaps it was just a weird way of setting up some atmosphere so they could completely break it with the goofy group of people that show up to take the girl home.

We get some background on the girl and how she's a free spirit who doesn't want to inherit responsibility. We also get to see some of the interesting world she lives in.

We get some really awkward exposition on the world (with characters saying "let me recap" and "I already know this!"). We learn about how countries are taxed for carbon emission, and how some loli can hack the system and lower the output rate of your country, with the help of a holographic Dragonair. And of course it's a loli who is so superior to all the grown men and can push them around and manipulate the system, and of course we get to see her acting childish/insane to further drive home her quirky geniusness. Oh, and there's a princess loli who gets driven around and is oblivious as her group of guards kill some people.

Finally the army of the evil empire corporation(?) shows up in the happy hometown of our main character to mess things up and motivate them to fight and adventure. We get to see how powerful our main cast is as they take down some soldiers with guns using only a boomerang, a whip, and

And there's a set of knives that people from all three (?) factions we were introduced to have one of that do something fancy and intriguing. Overall, it seems like it could be interesting.

Honestly, I went into this with only the main girl's design to go on, and it is a nice design.

But I'm not feeling many of the other characters so far. I'd be happy to watch cute girl fight people with her cyber-boomerang, but I'm worried that everyone else in the show and the plot itself will bring it down.

(This was my first attempt at making an indepth impressions post with screens and everything)

This show gets quite good but if Im honest, it does suffer from trying to do too much at once and losing track of it. However there is a lot of cool stuff intertwined that all figures into the story, and it makes for, IMO, a pretty compelling series. I have 6 episodes left to go and it has been a hell of a ride with all sorts of story elements and characters coming together in unexpected ways, some of which have been tragic. I think its one of those series that has a lot of heart put into it and is truly greater than the sum of its mediocre parts. Momoko (the one you pictured there) is one of my favorite characters in the series.
There are also a group of old nostalgic creepy otaku men who cosplay as well as several other very odd characters who make this show very interesting to watch. Everything from the giant Atlas city to the environmental regulation taxations, the absurdly rich little girl playing stock market with the CO2 tax futures, the organization running Atlas, the class warfare, the seeming disregard for individual human life...and abandoned tokyo and surrounding Japan. It all mixes together in a really exciting way that really hooked me. Love this show SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. I know some will disagree and think its too messy, but Im absolutely in love with it.

Such a weird series in that one of the most moving events in the series
(the prison massacre)
was
dismissed like some irrelevant footnote. I felt detached with any sort of emotional impact the series tried to convey after that point

I dont think it was dismissed so much as Kuniko realized she could do nothing about it and had to move on. If anything, it further fueled her motivations. That part was so horrible :(

God, the Shangri-La girl is so desirable with her skirt, her unbutton blouse and her colonel sanders neck tie

She is a cutie. I cannot deny that. Great character design. I want a figurine soooo badly.

People like the Shangri-La girl's anime design? I always thought it was pretty bad compared to her manga design.

And the light novel art is better than both.

INvhW.jpg

Nah. Range Murata designed her perfectly, although Gonzo didn't 100% follow through with his vision. But good enough. I think her design really works well.

OceanBlue

Aww. I love Bee Train. One of my favorite studios. Probably because I like the subject matter of most of their shows and character designs.
Noir for example has an excellent stylish and atmospheric OP (and one of Ali Project's more tolerable songs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch8QLdBiDqI

It's just a personal issue on my part. Bee Train (apparently) has some good titles under their belt. I've just always picked out the mediocre ones.

A Certain Magical Index 2-3
tumblr_mfzhaqDDLy1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I think I really like this anime alot and its only the third episode. The opening theme is instantly catchy and dance worthy and hearing its instrumental during the previews and during the episodes makes it even better. Quite a bit of the songs on the soundtrack are really fitting and memorable.

Kamijo Touma is really a good character and quite underrated and Stiyl must be commended too. The whole fight scene with Stiyl/Innocentius v Toumawas really good. Actually like Stiyl alot and hope he returns. The fire looked way stunning in how it was done, especially the flames and the demonish shape it took up/
epic defense of it even if he was burnt and ran but beyond that, thrilling final punch to Stiyl

So many grimoires and aspects to the church of necessary evil, as well as the aspect that they are european puritans makes for an interesting background that I hope is explored more.

Dont understand why they made the teacher a loli? awkward and way unappealing.
did like the scene at least with john penn active to healing and she was there to go through the steps for it

Uchip

Banned
I dunno what Neko said before editing, but "nya" should only be attempted by a few seiyuu, most particularly goddess Haruko Momoi who voiced Feris Nyan Nyan specifically because she can do the nekomimi thing REALLY well. Oh and there was that supremely talented voice actress who did the Neko scene in Bakemonagatari.

she was supremely annoying tbh

cajunator

Banned
she was supremely annoying tbh

I love her voice.
Love it sosososososo much.
She is forever tied to Komugi Nakahara, one of the cutest creations I have ever witnessed in all my years of anime watching. She is a goddess to me. Obviously not to everyones tastes.

cajunator

Banned
I fully expect pure happy squee joy from K-On 2. It better deliver.
Not that it has to try very hard. K-On is already super cute.

To me, it reminded me of late 80s, early 90s animation.

Here are some contenders that don't quite fit:
  • Those Who Hunt Elves (dont really remember mechas) mid 90s
  • Akai Koudan Zillion (I don't really remember them rolling around in tanks) late 70s I think

I've got nothing that pops into mind :( Sorry.

Narag

Here are some contenders that don't quite fit:
  • Those Who Hunt Elves (dont really remember mechas) mid 90s
  • Akai Koudan Zillion (I don't really remember them rolling around in tanks) late 70s I think

I've got nothing that pops into mind :( Sorry.

Zillion is late 80s. What he's describing sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

cajunator

Banned
Shall I watch it in Japanese subbed or Dubbed?
I honestly cannot remember if I watched season 1 dubbed or not but I dont recall it being bad either way.

Shall I watch it in Japanese subbed or Dubbed?
I honestly cannot remember if I watched season 1 dubbed or not but I dont recall it being bad either way.

The dub is ok, but it's really unremarkable. The only real reason you should do it is to hear Nodoka's sexy voice. I'd just watch it subbed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Trigun is worth watching? If funimation has it guess Ill queue it up eventually.

I f'n love Trigun, and you probably will too.

Isn't that how most OPs are like? You're most likely not going to understand it until you actually watch some of the show.

Sure, OPs exist to generate interest, so there are often going to be hints of what's ahead in a given show, but my point was more that it's often pointless for an OP to focus singularly on "telling a story" or introducing characters because OPs shouldn't just be enjoyable in retrospect. Most OPs avoid this problem anyway by mixing the expository content into a larger and more varied audiovisual experience anyway. Trigun's just happens not to!

i think it's only fair to judge an OP merits after you've watched the show.
Not understanding what's going on before you've even watched ep1 to know who is "vash" is a given at this point.

See above and I think that should help explain my point better.

jbug617

Banned
hidamari sketch 3

poor teacher has it rough, but fanservice in my SHAFT? outrageous.

The wideface look is growing on me. | ______ |

I started the show yesterday and marathon the first season today. It's so good especially OVA #2.

Also there seems to be some anime convention this weekend in LA, should we expect any licensing announcements then?

Yall are the experts. Gonna go with subs if the songs are still japanese too for maximum hnnngh factor.
It's what I do.
Sure, OPs exist to generate interest, so there are often going to be hints of what's ahead in a given show, but my point was more that it's often pointless for an OP to focus singularly on "telling a story" or introducing characters because OPs shouldn't just be enjoyable in retrospect. Most OPs avoid this problem anyway by mixing the expository content into a larger and more varied audiovisual experience anyway. Trigun's just happens not to!

I get what you mean, and I'm not a fan of the Trigun OP as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom