• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope... its been going on for months man. GAF is relentless in their bashing of SAO without justification. I just grew a thicker skin and accepted that only a chosen few of us understand what makes the show so superior and above the rest of the offerings of 2012.

I did actually watch it until around episode 20, then gave up. Just wasn't doing anything for me, especially into the second half.

Jintor

I dont think going without much lyrics was a really good move on their part. Perhaps if they traded it with some type of "cowboyish" vocal sound it would have sounded much better. It just makes for something that is less memorable than say some catchy words or just some phrase/verse that captures the idea of what Im watching. Consider burst through gravity, Ill never forget that "now tell me where you wanna go, to accel world" etc. What do I have to remember Cowboy Bebop by?

You're that goddamn person whom marketing determines needs the show's song to repeat the title of the show three times in rhythm aren't you

It's been over a decade since I've seen this, and even then I remember barely anything about it.

YuYu Hakusho 1
iB2XE3WlmOY2B.png

why have I gone on this long without watching this

Had no time to watch past episode 1 but it was so good. I faintly remembering watching and liking it as a kid when it was on Toonami or whatever, but now I'm way into anime and appreciate it so much more. Obviously it's not fantastic(yet) because I'm still not past the first episode, but it can only get better I assume. kuwabara's the best btw

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Narrative is only one aspect of a show. You could probably also watch all of that show without sound, with subtitles on, and you wouldn't miss a thing narratively speaking either. That doesn't make the audio superfluous in any way. The logo design of a show also has nothing to do with the narrative, but it is also an important element of the overall design. It is not superfluous. It's all about presentation and how people remember something. You sell short the creative aspects involved in the creation of a show by calling such elements superfluous.
when I think about the manpower spent in OPs and EDs and what they could be doing instead its hard for me not to see this tradition as unnecessary, SHAFT being the worst offenders.

Syrinx

Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito 11

Okay, I think I may-MAY-have reached the point that Hitokage was talking about where it seems like I have some modicum of an idea of what's going on before it pulls out the rug from underneath me like a bastard.

Okay. The princes is Eve. I kinda figured that out. And she turned into a frog from the curse. Sense? The show's writers ask, "What is this thing you call 'sense'?" I know the episode used frogs as symbolism, but it really dlesn't apply at all to the princess herself at all, which makes it doubly stupid. But anyway, she's back, and she's in the Gardens of whatnot.

And so are Hatsuki and Ririsu, after the spaceship stint that doesn't seem to have served any purpose whatsoever. How did they get there? Random shit. [Anyway, she thinks the princess i Hatsumi. Hatsumi and the princess are Eve, wheich Ririsu realizes. And Garugantua wants to marry Eve because...this is something that makes fucking NO sense in any way shape or form.

Theonik

:lol
Crest of the Stars (Sekai no Monshou)
Nice that someone else is watching this, I just finished the third Banner of the Stars series myself. It seems like you are liking it so far, that's good! The character designs can be a bit odd at times but that's the 90s for you. (for the most part, the 90s didn't all follow that model)
And yes, the series is based on a set of novels and the author did try to create his own language as a means of world building for the Abh and others. I really like it when works of fiction do that. Actually the whole series deserves credit for that but you will get to experience it first hand. (going pretty far in trying to define its setting that is)

duckroll

when I think about the manpower spent in OPs and EDs and what they could be doing instead its hard for me not to see this tradition as unnecessary, SHAFT being the worst offenders.

What could they be doing instead? OPs and EDs tend to be something different and unique in a show because they are specifically budgeted as such, and it is easier to attract special talent to work on a one-off short sequence. There are many times where people who work on the OP/ED sequences for a show don't even work on the show itself. If OP/EDs didn't exist they won't be working on the show at all. So your logic is flawed.

Jintor

On a side note, I've heard Bebop's music played live at a Jazz Festival. Ain't gonna get that shit with Accel World.

jman2050

Nekomonogatari Black 2

Shit got realer than real really fast.

The Shinobu scene was pretty funny. Although I guess technically she isn't "Shinobu" yet...

Another "good" example of why you don't need lyrics in openings if the music and the animation are actually doing the work perfectly already :

T.R.I.G.U.N

On a side note, I've heard Bebop's music played live at a Jazz Festival. Ain't gonna get that shit with Accel World.
Actually " The Seatbelts" are on a whole different league ( again ) .

Also Many anime songs opening are played live by their performers .. the problem isn't there

Jintor

Oh man, I haven't seen Trigun's opening for years

I forgot it was that boss.

ELECTRIC GUITARS ERRY DAY ERRY DAY

Fuck, that bit when the trigun logo is coming up. Amazing.

doesn't quite hold a candle to bebop but still. Man. Great show.

Theonik

4chan invasion?

whatever serves to poison the site's credibility as a metric of anime quality, I guess that's okay with me.
Coup d'etat.
There is more but I didn't feel like looking for it. And eh, I haven't seen any sensible person use it as a metric of quality. I typically laugh at people who do though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Another "good" example of why you don't need lyrics in openings if the music and the animation are actually doing the work perfectly already :

T.R.I.G.U.N

Honestly, I've always thought that Trigun had a bad OP. There's no flow to the scenes, there's no cohesion between the visuals and the piece of music, and the piece of rock music itself isn't really an interesting composition. I've always kind of wondered if there was originally supposed to be a voiced piece of music in the OP that had to be scrapped for whatever reason.

But there are some things you just can't say with music and animation alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlhtVgB7QuY

SHINING FINGER!

Lol .i'm not saying that you don't need lyrics ( this g gundam opening isn't one of my favorites)..just saying that if you can perfectly use a song without lyrics to reach the same or better result. There are plenty of good lyrics for animes ..just that for some show you're better off with just the music and the animation.

Honestly, I've always thought that Trigun had a bad OP. There's no flow to the scenes, there's no cohesion between the visuals and the piece of music, and the piece of rock music itself isn't really an interesting composition. I've always kind of wondered if there was originally supposed to be a voiced piece of music in the OP that had to be scrapped for whatever reason.

Actually the opening is adressing the main character attitude , skill and problems and even past . while presenting 2 side characters revelant to the plot in their "roles" .
You see a quick "vash the stampede" with a bounty , you see bullets and guns .. this opening does present the anime properly.
As for the music , it's rough because that's what the world we're going to visit is .

i honnestly think this opening does his job well of presenting everything properly. and the 2 guns are put nicely in front of your eyes because well the connexion they have on the name and the plot. BUt seeing it again i do see some flaw problems that could have been corrected ..but i think they are minor at best

Actually we are. How much you like something versus how much other people like something is basically all down to popularity. Lol. :p

Just saying, he was using CB's Op being played at a jazz festival as a slight against Accel World for some reason. Doesn't really seem like a counter to DTL's points IMO.

Jintor

That's the point. We're not disputing popularity here. That's why I'd say what he brought up was irrelevant.

That's why it's a side note.

But more to the point it was enjoyable as music outside of its sole context as an OP song. The Seatbelts make some goddamn outstanding jazz.

To be fair, i can't think of that many game or anime OSTs that are great examples of their music genre outside of just being soundtracks. The ones that spring to my mind are probably Bebop, No More Heroes, FCLC, Katamari Damacy, Persona 4, and The World Ends With You (though, obviously, not every song on every soundtrack).

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So, we're watching the Kenshin OVAs!! Wow, it's been a long time... At the moment, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...

I haven't? I thought I did. I will when you're sober.

But I am sober! I'm totally forming complete sentences and everything!

Chet!!

duckroll

Just saying, he was using CB's Op being played at a jazz festival as a slight against Accel World for some reason. Doesn't really seem like a counter to DTL's points IMO.

Perception of art. He originally said that all those songs were superficial stuff, which I would presume pop music also falls under. So AW's OP is just another pop song, while Bebop's OP is a jazz piece which was deemed artistically worthy to feature in a jazz festival. Whether or not that is important to anyone else, is an entirely different point! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom