• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Hmm, the voting has been pretty interesting the thread so far. It's not really following a really specific pattern so far, which is nice.

Yeah, Kuroko might crack the top 20, which makes me happy.

Too bad most people seem to be ignoring HxH.

Jex

Being only old names now without a meaning, I did it with good intentions to show a little bit of additional information to help in understanding better previous posts, name references and quotes, for everyone to come... but, and although databases will still remember, it is true that I also thought this could be considered mean. Sorry if that's the case.

I think it's important that we strive to be...understandable to outsiders? If a thread starts to move too heavily towards in-jokes, coded language and call backs to much earlier discussions then it becomes far less palpable to outsiders, even if that's not the intention. Therefore I think there's nothing wrong with clarifying a few points, after all we wouldn't want to become unnecessarily insular.

cajunator

Banned
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahah.  surely this is related to-

Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito 12

OH MY GOD THAT WAS THE MOST RANDOM THING EVER! IT CAME OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE! I'M FUCKING DYING AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAAHHA!

The best part was, it was such an emotional scene! Hatsuki was finally reunited with Hatsumi only to then learn that she really is Eve and has to leave forever. There was lots of crying and Hatsuki even tried to fucking kill her but broke down. And then as she was ascending Eve says they'll always be together in spirit and they will reunite one day. And oh yeah, IMMA BE YO BABY LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! IT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE! WHAT REASON IS THERE FOR THIS?! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

yup I was totally right.
Enjoy the
pancakes

Hey, those are really good Cajunator!!

Thanks bud!

Did From The New World end? If so, what would you guys seriously have to say about the show on the whole? I don't care if it's pretentious or experimental that much, I just like the idea of the visuals, and the mood - tell me it has a good story and I'm sold.

It didnt end. Just half. Its been an inconsistent but intriguing half. The show is very ominous and unsettling, exactly like I prefer it.

jgminto

BECK Volume 1 Ep 1-5

Really cool show. Lots of fun characters, cool music and a really good dub. I'm interested in how different the dub is in japanese with such a heavy focus on music, so I'll definitely be going through it a second time once I watch the whole thing.

Side note: Maho is SOOOOOOOOOO cute.

DiGiKerot

Hmm, the voting has been pretty interesting the thread so far. It's not really following a really specific pattern so far, which is nice.

It's been a strangely flat year, really. There's not been any overshadowingly huge shows like Madoka, and those shows which have been big have been, to put it politely, divisive things like Sword Art Online.

Average show quality actually seems to have been pretty decent in as much as there's a lot of shows that I've really enjoyed this year, but outside of GuP, there's very little I've been hugely enamoured with. I've already been in and amended my list a couple of times at this point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Puchimas 3

uSKd0.jpg

30rTy.jpg

To begin with I do enjoy the fact that even though this is the third episode, it still begins with wishing all the viewers a
Happy New Year
. Most shows would stop with just one
New Year's greeting
, but clearly the writers of this show are far more polite and would like to continue to wish us all a
Happy New Year
. I do hope they continue this for the rest of the week as it always brightens my day to see Haruka wishing me a
Happy New Year

The show begins with a
synopsis of the last episode
. This is quite an obvious dig at the many current shows that feel the need to recall events from previous episodes. The writers here know that the audience is clever enough to remember yesterday's episode but they want us to join in with a little intellectual banter as we chuckle at the lesser shows that treat their viewership as nincompoops. Continuing the subject of beginnings, the show's title card also has a nice touch, that is similar to what Mitsudomoe does, which is the name of the show is said in a way to reflect what has just happened before
in this case Producer-san has been headbutted in the jewels and has collapsed in pain so he says the title with a groan.

The stars of this episode are of course
Ami and Mami
who are as usual a bundle of energy. This is reflected by the fact that their animation is so much better than the rest of the cast. It's these little details that puts this show above your average three minute gag show and goes to show that the writers are not afraid to challenge the audience to spot this titbits of mise en scene.

Another funny gag I thought I should mention is that the Producer is represented as a
P
. It's also interesting to note that in this show his mannerisms are more in line with those of
the president
from the other IdolM@ster anime. I should make clear that despite
president and producer both beginning with the letter P that this character is indeed the producer as they make clear the president is out at the moment
. If they plan to continue to not use
the president
then the choice to give his mannerisms to the producer makes a lot of sense since this type of character helps to give the show balance. Balance is extremely important to make a show work and with only a few minutes to work with the writers can't afford to break any eggs.

I'd also like to mention Ricchan who has
suffered
a bit throughout these past three episodes. It was a rather pleasant and fitting ending to see her get some
relief
. It also helped to bring the cast and the Puchimases
closer together as a result

All in all, this was a captivating episode and really explored the depth of the characters shown so far. The animation is fantastic, the jokes are hilarious and it's everything you want from a few minute gag show. As a bonus it also has the cast from the iDOLM@STER. One can't go wrong with this and it basically leaves me wanting to see the rest of the cast and the silly shenanigans they get up to.

MCD

OK. I take back what I said about Code Breaker anime being superior to the manga.

They ruined it. Sure, art is better but not when they make shit up because they only have 13 fuckin episodes.

Screw this.

wonzo

Banned
OK. I take back what I said about Code Breaker anime being superior to the manga.

They ruined it. Sure, art is better but not when they make shit up because they only have 13 fuckin episodes.

Screw this.
How is that a bad thing?

Screw this.

I think its a good standalone...but some of the events were a definitely better in the chronology of the manga.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not enough Gintama' votes.

Eh. It was just one arc and apart from the first and last episodes it wasn't even the best Gintama arc. Considering what it can be I was quite disappointed in it. Hopefully the new series will be up to scratch and longer.

cajunator

Banned
It's been a strangely flat year, really. There's not been any overshadowingly huge shows like Madoka, and those shows which have been big have been, to put it politely, divisive things like Sword Art Online.

Average show quality actually seems to have been pretty decent in as much as there's a lot of shows that I've really enjoyed this year, but outside of GuP, there's very little I've been hugely enamoured with. I've already been in and amended my list a couple of times at this point.

Fate Zero and Chihayafuru were standouts for me. But yeah generally there wasnt any particular show like Madoka that I fell 200% i love with. AlthougH I did spend a stupid amount of money on Fate Zero. the things I will do for Saber and Ilya.

MCD

How is that a bad thing?

I don't like my manga getting altered. Things like Heike showing all his power attacks at this stage is RIDICULOUS. There is a reason why he is mysterious, you know.

The list goes on and on...Inserting Prince just because they probably wanted to sell some goddamn figures of her early or how Heike is suddenly with Hitomi and co...And why is Yukihina here and acting all cool with Heike.

Just read the manga or some wiki because this is waaaaay too altered.

Eh. It was just one arc and apart from the first and last episodes it wasn't even the best Gintama arc. Considering what it can be I was quite disappointed in it. Hopefully the new series will be up to scratch and longer.

There was another full arc and a string of random episodes at the beginning of last year too.

Steroyd

Girls und Panzer - OVA

BEACH EPISODE!!

You know what that means?

u6sRC.png

Tanks on the beach, look at those sexy curves.

DQKlK.png

Re-inventing tank tops

So how many more months before the conclusion. :(

NOTE TO GAF

To all of you pretending to hate SAO and not voting for it because you think it's soooooooooooooooo popular, I'll have you know that if it loses HERE on GAF and the producers lose the interest to make more then the series death is on your hands! I've done my part.

1 love you Yui!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't like my manga getting altered. Things like Heike showing all his power attacks at this stage is RIDICULOUS. There is a reason why he is mysterious, you know.

The list goes on and on...Inserting Prince just because they probably wanted to sell some goddamn figures of her early or how Heike is suddenly with Hitomi and co...And why is Yukihina here and acting all cool with Heike.

What is the anime improves on the manga, would it still be a bad thing?

Please note I've not seen the Breaker of Codes. Nor have I seen Enigma.

There was another full arc and a string of random episodes at the beginning of last year too.
Damn, my memory must be getting hazy. I was certain the previous season finished in 2011. May have to consider voting for Gintama' then. Based purely on the Kintama arc though, it wouldn't be in my top 10.

Ultimadrago

NOTE TO GAF

To all of you pretending to hate SAO and not voting for it because you think it's soooooooooooooooo popular, I'll have you know that if it loses HERE on GAF and the producers lose the interest to make more then the series death is on your hands! I've done my part.

I'll tell you now that I have no ill will towards the comedy of 2012. Kawahara-sensei be praised.

wonzo

Banned
I don't like my manga getting altered.
But there's nothing wrong with an adaptation changing or adding things (see: the filler in the original Hunter x Hunter that made it better) to the source material.

Things like Heike showing all his power attacks at this stage is RIDICULOUS. There is a reason why he is mysterious, you know.
Uhh yeah and I don't see how showing off his powers makes him any less mysterious a figure.

But everything about the manga I've read makes it sound like a tremendous piece of shit and the the changes made seem to have been for the better.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
NOTE TO GAF

1 love you Yui!

FUCK. Voting for SAO now.

wonzo

Banned
NOTE TO GAF

To all of you pretending to hate SAO and not voting for it because you think it's soooooooooooooooo popular, I'll have you know that if it loses HERE on GAF and the producers lose the interest to make more then the series death is on your hands!
sounds like wishful thinking

NOTE TO GAF

How can I show you my hatred? Burn a picture of Kirito? Snap some SAO DVDs in half? How much hatred is enough for you?

I'll do none of those things anyway

NOTE TO GAF

1 love you Yui!

As someone who enjoyed SAo , you speech trully echoed on my soul !!

tearofjoy.gif

cajunator

Banned
NOTE TO GAF

1 love you Yui!

I am certainly not pretending. There is hatred in my heart for SAO. I tend to vote for popular shows anyway, so thats certainly not why. If I had enjoyed it it would be on my list.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I forgot the producers of SAO reads GAF. It would explain the overuse of episode 3 flash backs.

Theonik

OK GAF serious question time. Is there any reason to watch the Turn A Gundam series over the movies or are they pretty much on equal footing?

Narag

NOTE TO GAF

1 love you Yui!

You've swayed me with this passiionate plea and I shall now give consideration to SAO in my upcoming AOTY vote.

Narag

OK GAF serious question time. Is there any reason to watch the Turn A Gundam series over the movies or are they pretty much on equal footing?

Series is awesome all the way through. Don't know how well the movies encapsulate it though as I'd been meaning to watch them to see just that.

The AotY thread is interesting.
It reminded me of Dusk Maiden (which I put on hold at episode 1 or 2 IIRC)
I will probably check out this and Shin Sekai no Yori before the end of the month, as I am not very happy with the last 2 places on my list.
Joshiraku is something I also seem to have overlooked.

cajunator

Banned
I watch SSY, Space Bros., and Tsuritama with my mom. Somehow I don't feel like this was something I could introduce her to.

I watched episode 1 of Fate Zero with my mom and she wondered why the guy threw a little naked girl in a pit of worms. oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom