• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sakurasou 16

Just make MashiroxSorata already. Jeez. Nanami getting baited so hard. Can't wait for the inevitable tears.

zeroshiki

This thing could very well be off the same factory line though :lol

I mean, who's to stop the factory from fulfilling the Japanese orders and then taking whatever overruns he had and then selling it in the gray market. I mean, its the same thing in effect. You just don't get the branding and nice packaging.

Noir 18

Kirika choosing to save Mireille instead of getting a copy of that super secret Soldats book.

IID0AGD.gif

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Got this in the mail finally:

Since it's ebay and from China, who knows if it's legit or not. There are no tags and it was wrapped in a plastic bag with another layer of plastic to affix the postage to. lol

Awwww it's cute! :3

Senran Kagura 03:

SenranKagura03_01_zpsead45e17.jpg

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Ikaruga! Oh, she is a naughty person, and she must pay the penalty -- and here in Hanzo National Academy, we have but one punishment for going against orders. You must tie her down on a bed and spank her!

A nice episode focusing on best girl and her place as the Leonardo of the group. She helps Asuka get over her frog-phobia and massages an old man in a way that isn't lew-okay can't finish that with a straight face. The whole brother bit toward the middle of the episode was so boring and anti-climatic though, not sure what the point of that was.

Syrinx

Senran Kagura 03:

A nice episode focusing on best girl and her place as the Leonardo of the group. She helps Asuka get over her frog-phobia and massages an old man in a way that isn't lew-okay can't finish that with a straight face. The whole brother bit toward the middle of the episode was so boring and anti-climatic though, not sure what the point of that was.

This show truly has no shame, does it?

iammeiam

My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Attractive Koi Kaze 1-13 (end)

I picked this show up ages ago, since I'd heard it was a serious and mature look at romance between siblings that didn't cheat out by making them related. The buzz was also very good, so I wanted to see how you could pull off a mature, thought-provoking, apparently non-depressing show about incest and not be universally reviled.

Then they came in the mail and included "NO-NO Big Brother! Stickers", like so:

which pretty efficiently murdered my hype by being the sort of otakubait I'd expect from a bad series about incest. Show wound up shelved and unwatched for years. As part of my concentrated effort to clear out my epic backlog of things I paid for and never watched, I went back and actually watched the show over the weekend. It's better than the stickers would make you think, but despite the slow build of the romance and the relatively deep characters, I felt like it sidestepped most of the actual issue.

It didn't help that our main character is 27 and his sister is all of 15 (and what seems like a fairly naive, sheltered 15)--it complicates things by making it not just that they're related, but that there's sort of a huge power imbalance between the two of them. It made the scene in the second-to-last episode creepy because when
they finally have sex, it seems to mostly be because he wants sex and doing whatever Big Brother wants is what will make Nanoka happy.

Ultimately I guess I kind of want a sequel OAV or manga series because
the long-term fallout of the relationship would be fascinating to watch. The amusement park trip at the end seemed designed to highlight how unlikely it was that their relationship would last long-term, and how the hell do you deal with that for the rest of your life? Would Nanoka resent him? Have fond memories of their time together?
It was an interesting watch, but ultimately I didn't feel like it did much with its subject matter. The most authentic moment was
Chidori's initial freakout when she finds out, and even she just drops it and moves on because none of her business.

Although it is funny to know that you can show a guy sniffing his sister's bra, a guy jerking off to the thought of his sister, or
post-coital incestuous bliss
and air it on TV just fine, but if you want to do an episode featuring divorce it's too controversial to air.

Kazzy

[Neon Genesis Evangelion] - 2

Jeez, everything about this world just seems so insidious, particularly how the Evangelion's behave. I've always found the living objects theme to be appealing, but coupled with machines, it makes for a very disconcerting combination! And on that subject, I am curious to see why teenagers seem to be those suitable for piloting the units, though, having already imagined a few likely scenarios, I doubt it'd be a pleasant revelation.
Hello, Madoka flashbacks!
I also doubt I'll win any prizes for assuming that Gendou is sketchy, though I wonder to what extent.

Yep, this show sure loves it's artistry, though when it looks so nice, I cannot possibly begrudge the lingering shots. I'm already starting to see the appeal here. And on that subject, the fight animation was pretty special.

Oh, and there's a penguin!? Well, okay. I guess comedy subtitle placement is an acquired skill!

Branduil

You gotta have a boy in the shot. None of those girls with cooties.

EDIT:

I was actually curious and had to know how Disney handled other Ghibli stuff so... are they really that scared of putting girls on posters? I half expected Spirited Away to have Haku on it instead of Chihiro.

princess-mononoke-movie-poster-princess-mononoke-1521768-336-4751.jpeg

The Star Wars quote gets me every time.

Branduil

I picked this show up ages ago, since I'd heard it was a serious and mature look at romance between siblings that didn't cheat out by making them related. The buzz was also very good, so I wanted to see how you could pull off a mature, thought-provoking, apparently non-depressing show about incest and not be universally reviled.

ib0IVmjiK6pAgT.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware

which pretty efficiently murdered my hype by being the sort of otakubait I'd expect from a bad series about incest. Show wound up shelved and unwatched for years. As part of my concentrated effort to clear out my epic backlog of things I paid for and never watched, I went back and actually watched the show over the weekend. It's better than the stickers would make you think, but despite the slow build of the romance and the relatively deep characters, I felt like it sidestepped most of the actual issue.

It didn't help that our main character is 27 and his sister is all of 15 (and what seems like a fairly naive, sheltered 15)--it complicates things by making it not just that they're related, but that there's sort of a huge power imbalance between the two of them. It made the scene in the second-to-last episode creepy because when
they finally have sex, it seems to mostly be because he wants sex and doing whatever Big Brother wants is what will make Nanoka happy.

Ultimately I guess I kind of want a sequel OAV or manga series because
the long-term fallout of the relationship would be fascinating to watch. The amusement park trip at the end seemed designed to highlight how unlikely it was that their relationship would last long-term, and how the hell do you deal with that for the rest of your life? Would Nanoka resent him? Have fond memories of their time together?
It was an interesting watch, but ultimately I didn't feel like it did much with its subject matter. The most authentic moment was
Chidori's initial freakout when she finds out, and even she just drops it and moves on because none of her business.

Although it is funny to know that you can show a guy sniffing his sister's bra, a guy jerking off to the thought of his sister, or
post-coital incestuous bliss
and air it on TV just fine, but if you want to do an episode featuring divorce it's too controversial to air.
Those stickers are perfect for the nerd audience. :p

That said, Koi Kaze is probably the only thing to do the incest story "right", if you can really do it at all.

I am more surprised that apparently we don't eat the feet of geese but instead stuff them into counterfeit items.
What do you think is in that "all beef patty"?

Firehawk should just carefully undo the stitching and take a peek inside since it's not real anyway :lol

I would if I had any idea how to fix it. :p

The sweat and dreams of small children!
So that's how they got LTE in these things!

If only I could get an Aria-sachou plush. It dwarfs my Rinon plushes though. It might as well be a cushion. lol

Novid

Banned
You know i used to have a rival during the days of when Toonami was big and the internet was young. It was a friendship turned sour. Got heated. Threats of Littgation. And well creepyness from this former friend with him knowing where my family lives. I dont take that too well.

So its bittersweet (and i have to thank GayGaf for providing the words) to see that my former...bestfriend in the interweb has desiced that its better for him to go fuck "his lady friend" (a pre-diabetic inusha fanchickie no doubt) and breed to his hearts content.

Yall can wish him the best but as for me, - its like the picture said, human cliviation is a pile of trash and my only goal from here on in is to state that message to those that will hear... its like i said... i am the dark cloud that rains on everyones parade...

Branduil

Tsuritama 06-12
Well I finished it in time at least. I wish that I liked it more, but it never really clicked with me. Really disliked the show visually and I found the backgrounds in particular to be extraordinarily ugly.

Well... that seems like an unusual opinion.

iammeiam

More or less. Classy looking case art, a description that plays up the drama, and then open the case and kawaii imouto stickers!!!!!

Those stickers are perfect for the nerd audience. :p

That's actually what worried me initially--I am not the target audience for those stickers, and was worried the show would cater to that audience. Luckily no.

That said, Koi Kaze is probably the only thing to do the incest story "right", if you can really do it at all.

I'd have been happier with a smaller age gap (bring her age up two years and his age down four, maybe), and I feel like it really needed a five years later epilogue, but for the part they covered it was pretty well done.

cajunator

Banned

WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK OF FUCKS??

You know i used to have a rival during the days of when Toonami was big and the internet was young. It was a friendship turned sour. Got heated. Threats of Littgation. And well creepyness from this former friend with him knowing where my family lives. I dont take that too well.

So its bittersweet (and i have to thank GayGaf for providing the words) to see that my former...bestfriend in the interweb has desiced that its better for him to go fuck "his lady friend" (a pre-diabetic inusha fanchickie no doubt) and breed to his hearts content.

Yall can wish him the best but as for me, - its like the picture said, human cliviation is a pile of trash and my only goal from here on in is to state that message to those that will hear... its like i said... i am the dark cloud that rains on everyones parade...
Nonsense! You are a ray of sunshine to animegaf. A treasure.

faridmon

Sword Art Online Ep 1 - 9:

Despite my initial complaints about its pace, (which is still prevalent, but less so in the later episodes) and my strong dislike for the main character (Kirito) I found myself enjoying this more than I thought. Every episode seem to start very slow but gain momentum until it ends and that 8th ep. where they had to raid that boss was quite exciting. I can't help but feeling a bit annoyed by the fact that the Kirito seems to be overpowered than the rest of the people (and monsters for that matter) but I guess, Shonen is gonna Shonen. Some of the characterisation is little thin and this where my general pace complaints come in. At one point the character is being tsundere and the next thing you know, an inverse flip on her personality. Also the mystery episodes just went too fast with the character development, to a point that it felt a bit of let down when it concluded. I have been told that this is where the whole series fall apart, so I am quite excited (not in the way you think, mind) to see how it continues. While I do think it was a mediocre experience, I don't think the its as bad as people make out to be (I did see a comment giving it 0 somewhere)

How come did Asuna turned out from a bad ass female commander to a one that would be won by a simple dual? *sigh*

Branduil

Shin Sekai Yori 17

You know, there's a dissonance between how they present Squealer and what is actually happening. He seems to be the secret mastermind bad guy, but in truth what he's doing is completely reasonable and justified, since doesn't seem to have any ulterior motive beyond the liberation of his species, or more precisely, of his colony. He's the hero rat people deserve.

He's not doing anything worse than what human civilization is doing.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I guess this should be the whole speech I should give when I have to talk about the premiere of my orchestra piece next month.

Too bad it's too late to change the title.

You ARE going to put this online so we can see and hear it, right? RIGHT? :mad:

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The first half of SAO was actually enjoyable, even if it was bad. The second half if just pure hate watch. It's worse than that actually, because there isn't even any enjoyment in how bad it is. You just think this is bad, and I feel bad for watching it.

dumbyugi

Da Capo III 4

Better then the last episode but not great. This episode focused on the boring childhood friend who, if the OP is any indication, doesn't have a hope of getting with the MC. This MC seems sadly denser then previous Da Capo MCs, though this was obvious since episode 2 when Lulu asks to sleep with him and gets in the bath with him and he doesn't understand why. The childhood friend asks him at the end of the episode if he would want to have sex with her and I bet it's never brought up again. Next episode looks like it will focus on a less boring character so that's good.

kayos90

The first half of SAO was actually enjoyable, even if it was bad. The second half if just pure hate watch. It's worse than that actually, because there isn't even any enjoyment in how bad it is. You just think this is bad, and I feel bad for watching it.

There are some good fight scenes.

Senran Kagura 4
DAiRyw7.jpg

They have graduated to even bigger shafts.
Ninja Fishing!
Beach episode, so you know what that means! I could probably sit here and type a big long review about this but I'm sure you all have already figured if I'd like this. Sure, it's not the best looking show ever, but I'm having fun watching it.
Oh did I mention underboobs? They changed the ED too.
Next episode looks to be about the bad shinobis, at least for a bit.

Quasar

The first half of SAO was actually enjoyable, even if it was bad.

Well I liked the Kirito/Asuna story, and pretty much that's the high point for me and reading through the light novels there never recaptured that for me. I think I keep reading in the vain hope that they do. I probably should just give up.

Its like being a comic reader continuing to buy say The X-Men despite hating the direction the book has gone hoping that it will eventually get better.

Syrinx

The iDOLM@STER 8

This was the best episode so far. By a huge amount.

Azusa is doing a shoot for a wedding magazine with Makoto, with the former being a bride and the latter being the groom. Along the way there's a huge misunderstanding and Azusa gets kidnapped by what appears to be the Yakuza or something. The whole thing results in her wandering around town in a wedding dress, helping random people and going random places, including a meat bun shop and the circus.

So, you'd think Azusa would be the star of the episode, right? Wrong. Cause when Makoto figures out what happened, she's all "AW, HELL NAW!", and spends the rest of the episode chasing her down, all while taking some time out to FUCKING RUIN BITCHES! She's so awesome people thought they were filming an action movie!

Makoto is best girl. By far. Lightyears. And there are lots of good ones. But she's in a league all on her own now.

kayos90

Surprised not many, or any, Sakurasou impressions are up. T_T

The iDOLM@STER 8

Azusa is doing a shoot for a wedding magazine with Makoto, with the former being a bride and the latter being the groom. Along the way there's a huge misunderstanding and Azusa gets kidnapped by what appears to be the Yakuza or something. The whole thing results in her wandering around town in a wedding dress, helping random people and going random places, including a meat bun shop and the circus.

So, you'd think Azusa would be the star of the episode, right? Wrong. Cause when Makoto figures out what happened, she's all "AW, HELL NAW!", and spends the rest of the episode chasing her down, all while taking some time out to FUCKING RUIN BITCHES! She's so awesome people thought they were filming an action movie!

Makoto is best girl. By far. Lightyears. And there are lots of good ones. But she's in a league all on her own now.

Aw Hellz yeah!!!

faridmon

Ah, well, I am walking to my doom I guess.

Sword Art Online Ep. 10

Yep, they had to bring Melodrama into this, whats up with all the characters changing personality?

Also, Kirito killed a fellow player (who undoubtedly was going to kill him, but nevertheless, he killed him) does that mean he is a murderer? They never showed any red marker above his head or anything?

Well I liked the Kirito/Asuna story, and pretty much that's the high point for me and reading through the light novels there never recaptured that for me. I think I keep reading in the vain hope that they do. I probably should just give up.
I thought that was the weakest part of the series. Maybe, I sort of dislike Romance in Anime (because they never pull it off very well IMO)

Defuser

Ah, well, I am walking to my doom I guess.

Sword Art Online Ep. 10

Yep, they had to bring Melodrama into this, whats up with all the characters changing personality?

Also, Kirito killed a fellow player (who undoubtedly was going to kill him, but nevertheless, he killed him) does that mean he is a murderer? They never showed any red marker above his head or anything?

Killing a red player doesn't have any penalties.

cajunator

Banned
The iDOLM@STER 8

Just wait until the other Makoto episode (17)
You're going to die to death of happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom