• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

2 things : the only difference i recall from the anime and the manga is that they added more action in the early episodes and that's it .. the changes that adding action in the start of zetsuen provided was some minor locales changes and 1 extra scene.
In fact they crammed several pieces of aika backstory early to provide a better escuse for the characters actions ( mashiro in particular ).
Oh and there was this chidlhood episode that provided nothing knew except explain why the 2 characters are best friends for life.

In fact the thing they modified never had any impact on the plot or the plot twists , they always used those changes to explain properly the world or the character relationshipss rather than in the convulted way the manga did.
That's a good change

However, there was never any reason to change the twists or the key points in the story. I mean people want zetsuen , not something else.i'd understand if this was a Work in progress ( the arc ) when the anime was being made , so the anime team could have gone with their vision ( like the first FMA ) but here it's not the case ..
Or "dance in the vampire bund" where the author told shaft to do something else than a straight adaptation.

Unless 1 of those 2 things had happenned , why expect a change ? You can think it's stupid ( it may be ) but that's not a reason to just change the story "just because" ..i totally disagree on the "creativity" aspect.

I'm not talking about specific twists. I'm talking about the overall narrative. It's stupid and very badly executed. You can keep all the major plot developments and still do it in a much better way, which is what I expected from the first 7 episodes. It wasn't just "more action". There was an actual intention to make it a better work. Then they gave up.

5 episodes of characters standing in one place talking while the character tilts and the background turns purple is not good. It's boring and stupid. That's exactly what the manga did. Instead of copying it, the anime could tell the basic story in a much better way if it was less faithful and just made it more interesting. It's not either/or. Not being faithful to the manga does not mean ignoring all the plot points completely. It means ignoring the poor execution of the manga, and drawing out the elements of the original work which are actually interesting and worth keeping.

Code:Breaker is an excellent example of something which is not particularly faithful to the events in the manga, but ended up being a much better directed and more interesting work as an anime. The manga is total garbage.

Saprol

Puchimas! 24
iEgJ5WWjiIEbA.jpg
iprlViJ095i80.jpg

I'm sold on ED2.

How do I ignore watching SAO if everybody keeps talking (shit) about it?

Is this stuff cute enough for you, Cajunator?

I'm not talking about specific twists. I'm talking about the overall narrative. It's stupid and very badly executed. You can keep all the major plot developments and still do it in a much better way, which is what I expected from the first 7 episodes. It wasn't just "more action". There was an actual intention to make it a better work. Then they gave up.

5 episodes of characters standing in one place talking while the character tilts and the background turns purple is not good. It's boring and stupid. That's exactly what the manga did. Instead of copying it, the anime could tell the basic story in a much better way if it was less faithful and just made it more interesting. It's not either/or. Not being faithful to the manga does not mean ignoring all the plot points completely. It means ignoring the poor execution of the manga, and drawing out the elements of the original work which are actually interesting and worth keeping.

Code:Breaker is an excellent example of something which is not particularly faithful to the events in the manga, but ended up being a much better directed and more interesting work as an anime. The manga is total garbage.

Hum i dunno if they gave up but there wasn't much you could do about the forest part.. i do feel that they tried a lot to make everything more dynamic , including increased pacing when it needed to ( ep 15 for example ) and a reorganisation of aika backstories. If you feel that the plot is "alright" there is a limit on what a team adaptating can do to change things ..they even made the dude struck his sword on the ground several times to try to wake the viewers !

If you can't/don't wanna remove hamlet, nor some key points , there is only so much you can do.

Ps: i grew bored of code breaker manga so i haven't watched the anime yet. While the anime may be better, the nature of the 2 works made it harder to do the same thing with zetsuen because the 2 series have a total different focus.
it's much easier to add more/better action to a setting that quickly went for the fights , than a story that abuse words , words and words.

Also i don't think they've stopped improving zetsuen a subtle way , the fast pacing ( after the first part ) make the thing much more enjoyable IMO

Quasar

Kotoura-san ep 4

This feels like a final episode, no depressing shit this time. Now all is left is the mother problems....

More like the end of the setup arc. makes me wonder if all the darkness of this arc will now be left completely behind for a more typical school show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you guys doing a podcast?!

You're nearly there, watch the Kintama arc and then you can join us in saying how fuck awesome this Courtesan promise arc is! Anything related to Yoshiwara always turns out to be the best arcs ever aside from the 4 Diva arc.
Tsuki~~~ is hnnng, etc.

Hah. I suppose the PSP game could have player-as-Taichi promised a role in a school play, and then have him hand out flyers.
lol

Vividred Operation 4
ZHCo1V7l.jpg

They might as well have her say MARU right here.

duckroll

Hum i dunno if they gave up but there wasn't much you could do about the forest part.. i do feel that they tried a lot to make everything more dynamic , including increased pacing when it needed to ( ep 15 for example ) and a reorganisation of aika backstories. If you feel that the plot is "alright" there is a limit on what a team adaptating can do to change things ..they even made the dude struck his sword on the ground several times to try to wake the viewers !

If you can't/don't wanna remove hamlet, nor some key points , there is only so much you can do.

Ps: i grew bored of code breaker manga so i haven't watched the anime yet. While the anime may be better, the nature of the 2 works made it harder to do the same thing with zetsuen because the 2 series have a total different focus.
it's much easier to add more/better action to a setting that quickly went for the fights , than a story that abuse words , words and words

I disagree though. I can think of several ways how they could completely change the forest part to make it much better while keeping all the main plot points intact. It's all about effort. They could have created a tier-ed system of infiltration, where both the military and Yoshino/Mahiro has to fight or sneak their way past more defenses, eventually getting into the main compound, confronting Samon, etc. They don't need to have a garbage philosophical argument which ultimately amounts to NOTHING in the story, because it is bad.

Instead, the director decided he didn't need to storyboard the show anymore, left it to inferior people, and they outsourced a number of those episodes to other studios as well. It's much cheaper and easier to just follow the manga and make it a boring and stupid set of episodes in one static location, because you don't have to worry about outsourced results being unsatisfactory since it's all stupid anyway.

That's giving up.

Quasar

Zetsuen Tempest 16-

Either the characters in this show are idiots or Yoshino is the smartest character I've ever seen in any form of fiction. Christ if he's that scheming then he fucking puts Lelouch to shame.

Also despite how bad Psycho-Pass is with the scifi authors, it feels better than the bullshit quoting of Hamlet. I'm also getting sick of seeing Aika. The flashbacks aren't really serving a purpose anymore other than to waste time.

Personally I'll still loving the show. Loving Hakaze and her feelings for Yoshino, though why they don't just consider her having love for the guy rather than him being a Mage is kind of beyond me.

And Aika. Continue to love her. I want a whole flashback episode thankyou.

fertygo

I disagree though. I can think of several ways how they could completely change the forest part to make it much better while keeping all the main plot points intact. It's all about effort. They could have created a tier-ed system of infiltration, where both the military and Yoshino/Mahiro has to fight or sneak their way past more defenses, eventually getting into the main compound, confronting Samon, etc. They don't need to have a garbage philosophical argument which ultimately amounts to NOTHING in the story, because it is bad.

Instead, the director decided he didn't need to storyboard the show anymore, left it to inferior people, and they outsourced a number of those episodes to other studios as well. It's much cheaper and easier to just follow the manga and make it a boring and stupid set of episodes in one static location, because you don't have to worry about outsourced results being unsatisfactory since it's all stupid anyway.

That's giving up.

Bones "trying" to improve thing but its still have bad reception and they just said "Screw this" after that LOL.

And yeah Andou :(

duckroll

Bones "trying" to improve thing but its still have bad reception and they just said "Screw this" after that LOL.

And yeah Andou :(

I don't think there was any bad reception really. It's more like, no reception. No one asked for a Zetsuen anime, and I think it's clear now that no one really wants one. Sadly, the same can be said for Code:Breaker, even though it turned out well.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Psycho Pass 15

Holy fuck this was amazing.

The slow build up to the zenith of the past couple episodes was absolutely necessary. The nuances and role of the Sibyl System in society have been blended throughout the series through the use of episodic arcs that have no direct bearing to the events of whats going on in the present but were quite enjoyable in the building to the crux, its akin to something like Stand Alone Complex.

Yes they could have gone about it in one cour but the systematic tearing down of the system leading into the emphatic resolution of the past several episodes was both enjoyable and necessary. The episodes that focus on the characters themselves also serve the same function and these episodes provide the kind of world building moments that other shows should generally aspire to do.

I have no idea where this show is going from here but I am excited to all hell. Easily my favorite show of the year so far.

Theonik

Again, don't know how I missed this earlier.
As you might expect, several of the comments are pretty snarky.
Why does an independent and strong girl Asuna gradually turn into a hopelessly obsessed and useless spouse whose sole purpose is to get near raped over and over again? Why is it necessary for every female in the show (including ones that look 12) to fall madly in love with kirito for no reason?
Shots fired.
Edit: Quoted the wrong thing

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think there was any bad reception really. It's more like, no reception. No one asked for a Zetsuen anime, and I think it's clear now that no one really wants one. Sadly, the same can be said for Code:Breaker, even though it turned out well.
Basically if you ever directed a TV show at BONES you are screwed for life now

Branduil

You're the BONES expert. Why do you think they make so much pure garbage these days? Did they lose critical talent at some point?

Dead

well not really...yet
You're the BONES expert. Why do you think they make so much pure garbage these days? Did they lose critical talent at some point?
They don't know how to appeal to the current market. IMO its as simple as that.

I still see them as having an unwillingness to completely put out offensive shit that otaku lap up, but at the same time they try to tippy-toe their way into appealing to them. It ends up alienating both that audience, and the audience that appreciated their shows from 2000 - 2007. Basically their current shows appeal to nobody.

To be honest the studio has not been the same since Hiroshi Ousaka died and Ayakashi Ayashi burned to the ground.

Mitsuho

Banned
Accel World 2-5

3:Great cliffhanger endings.

(Right in the otaku self image, 3DPD)
qfVnaes.png

4: Even more, every episode Cliffhanger endings!!

(Debusen dakara sono kanojo)
HnnAwJm.png

duckroll

I don't think they make pure garbage though. Most of the time it feels well intended but just ends up being shit for one reason or another. I think a lot of that also applies to Production IG. I would say a lot of the problem probably stems from wanting to create something they enjoy, but feeling the pressure to deal with market realities. In the end that combination usually pleases no one and ends up being a confused mess of shit. Studios which are more aligned with commercial tastes and trends tend to do much better.

Edit: Fuck, beaten by Dead. :/

fertygo

The way Bones picking project is just weird now. They making anime of such like Gosick and Zetsuen WTF.. Thing that not insanely popular, but its not make any sense for just their own creative decision either, because the original material just extremely niche, so for what they pick the project?

duckroll

The way Bones picking project is just weird now. They making anime of such like Gosick and Zetsuen WTF.. Thing that not insanely popular, but its not make any sense for just their own creative decision, because the original material just extremely niche, so for what they pick the project?

Do you really think anime studios pick their own projects all the time? If someone offers you work and is willing to fund the production of a TV series, that means being able to pay your employees and the upkeep the studio. Unless the project is completely offensive to the studio, or they have too much work, there's no way they'll turn it down.

Dead

well not really...yet
It's kinda interesting that for the most part there has not been a mass exodus of talent from BONES though, unlike say Imaishi and co leaving Gainax, or people leaving Manglobe or Madhouse, etc.

If you look at the credits for most BONES shows you still see a lot of the same names that you would see in 2002 or 2005, and a lot of talent that was associated with BONES that goes to work on other stuff still come back to work on stuff for the studio.

So yeah, its not like a ton of people left the studio or no longer work with them either.

duckroll

It's kinda interesting that for the most part there has not been a mass exodus of talent from BONES though, unlike say Imaishi and co leaving Gainax, or people leaving Manglobe or Madhouse, etc.

If you look at the credits for most BONES shows you still see a lot of the same names that you would see in 2002 or 2005, and a lot of talent that was associated with BONES that goes to work on other stuff still come back to work on stuff for the studio.

So yeah, its not like a ton of people left the studio or no longer work with them either.

The only "mini-exodus" I can think of would be the recent Fuse movie, which featured a lot of regular BONES staff on it, even though it was a Telecom production. But it seems after the movie many of those staff still work with BONES, so they didn't run away either.

Is there such a thing as an improper seduction?

And I don't read K-on, got no idea of her age in the manga, but under no circumstance can I consider someone with -nyan appended to her name and needs to be "seduced" to engage in intimate behavior a woman.

It's not like she chose her nickname.

Dead

well not really...yet
The only "mini-exodus" I can think of would be the recent Fuse movie, which featured a lot of regular BONES staff on it, even though it was a Telecom production. But it seems after the movie many of those staff still work with BONES, so they didn't run away either.
How did that turn out by the way, did it even come out yet?

duckroll

Dunno. It had the usual limited screening in Japan in October last year I think. No home video release announced yet afaik. I think when anyone heard "from the author of Gosick", they all ran away. Lol.

zeroshiki

It opened October last year and no one noticed :lol

*it was most likely limited release so we'll need to see BD sales to know how it did.

EDIT: dammit beaten like a duck on roller skates

fertygo

Do you really think anime studios pick their own projects all the time? If someone offers you work and is willing to fund the production of a TV series, that means being able to pay your employees and the upkeep the studio. Unless the project is completely offensive to the studio, or they have too much work, there's no way they'll turn it down.

I know but I'm sorry, even such like White Fox and David Pro got more "grand" project fall to them, and BONES only got thing like Gosick, and Zetsuen is like C-tier out from Gangan, so its mind-boggling for me.

I don't know if its a normal scheme by producer to give more sure-fire project to smaller studio and bigger studio given to make something bigger out of nothing but still..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom