• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I know but I'm sorry, even such like White Fox and David Pro got more "grand" project fall to them, and BONES only got thing like Gosick, and Zetsuen is like C-tier out from Gangan, so its mind-boggling for me.

I don't know if its a normal scheme by producer to give more sure-fire project to smaller studio and bigger studio given to make something bigger out of nothing but still..

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If you change your perspective to a more business-centric view of how contracts are deals are often made, you'll probably be able to see why these things happen.

First you need to look at who is funding a production, and why they are doing so. In an ideal situation, it would a generous company willing to bet big on a popular property they own, and they would look for the best studio to make an adaptation regardless of cost. I would say Fullmetal Alchemist is a rare situation where this happened... twice. But this isn't really that common.

There are two types of anime adaptations: those made to increase the popularity and awareness of the existing source, and those made to leverage on the popularity of the original source. Sometimes it's a mix of the two types. Either way, in this case, it would not be unusual for someone to take a popular license and try to make it as cheaply as possible while satisfying fans. This would give them the maximum return on investment while minimizing risks attached with a high cost.

So studios like White Fox and David Production getting "big" franchises like Steins;Gate and Jojo wouldn't be that unusual since they can bid lower than bigger studios. If BONES or Sunrise were approached for such a project, their cost estimate for the series would no doubt be much higher. On the other hand, studios like Sunrise and BONES are also well known among fan circles, and have a certain "brand" appeal. It is also no unusual then for license holders like Kadokawa and Square Enix to want to tap into that to try and raise awareness on properties which might not be that popular - like Gosick and Zetsuen no Tempest. Having high production values and a well known studio behind a project can help to get more attention for the property even if it is shit. Of course this doesn't always work, but even if it fails they might simply write it off as an expensive marketing campaign.

Think about it this way - Something that is already well known and popular, would make money either way. So if you can make it for a cheaper cost or find a studio willing to make it at a faster rate, you'll have more product to sell and if something is popular enough fans are less discerning anyway. The same thing happens in Hollywood with adaptations of videogames, popular books, etc.

Branduil

FF VI is probably one of the best choices to make into an anime because it's not already a bad CGI anime with a video game mixed in, LOL.

Branduil

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If you change your perspective to a more business-centric view of how contracts are deals are often made, you'll probably be able to see why these things happen.

First you need to look at who is funding a production, and why they are doing so. In an ideal situation, it would a generous company willing to bet big on a popular property they own, and they would look for the best studio to make an adaptation regardless of cost. I would say Fullmetal Alchemist is a rare situation where this happened... twice. But this isn't really that common.

There are two types of anime adaptations: those made to increase the popularity and awareness of the existing source, and those made to leverage on the popularity of the original source. Sometimes it's a mix of the two types. Either way, in this case, it would not be unusual for someone to take a popular license and try to make it as cheaply as possible while satisfying fans. This would give them the maximum return on investment while minimizing risks attached with a high cost.

So studios like White Fox and David Production getting "big" franchises like Steins;Gate and Jojo wouldn't be that unusual since they can bid lower than bigger studios. If BONES or Sunrise were approached for such a project, their cost estimate for the series would no doubt be much higher. On the other hand, studios like Sunrise and BONES are also well known among fan circles, and have a certain "brand" appeal. It is also no unusual then for license holders like Kadokawa and Square Enix to want to tap into that to try and raise awareness on properties which might not be that popular - like Gosick and Zetsuen no Tempest. Having high production values and a well known studio behind a project can help to get more attention for the property even if it is shit. Of course this doesn't always work, but even if it fails they might simply write it off as an expensive marketing campaign.

Think about it this way - Something that is already well known and popular, would make money either way. So if you can make it for a cheaper cost or find a studio willing to make it at a faster rate, you'll have more product to sell and if something is popular enough fans are less discerning anyway. The same thing happens in Hollywood with adaptations of videogames, popular books, etc.

Hence the Person 4 anime.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 27

Noooooo. Matilda! Why doesn't she want a nice guy like me? If I were only a better pilot of Gundam! Why did she want to marry this douche bag grown man!

Amuro is such a nice guy.

Oh and Mirai is a politician's daughter I guess. And Char is a glorious guy. So cool.

Jintor

I'm playing P4 for the first time and I gotta admit, I'm morbidly curious about the anime. I get the feeling that I'd enjoy it despite how awful it is objectively.

You will

it has pacing and animation problems up the wazoo but despite it all it's still a fan's dream

wonzo

Banned
Musashi Gundoh TV 12

ibmxyGTItxEyNL.gif

Okay so the fucking monkey (voiced by yuu kobayashi) turned into a boy ninja (also voiced by yuu kobayashi) AND THE BLOND CREEPY OLD GUY IS ACTUALLY LEONARDO DA VINCI.

WHAT

THE

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

zeroshiki

You will

it has pacing and animation problems up the wazoo but despite it all it's still a fan's dream

I actually saw 1 episode and was so turned off by how awful it was that I never bothered to pick it up again. I'll think about it when I finish the game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm playing P4 for the first time and I gotta admit, I'm morbidly curious about the anime. I get the feeling that I'd enjoy it despite how awful it is objectively.

I'm basically in the same situation as you and watched the first episode just the other day.

I had a smirk on my face the entire time.

Edit:

I actually saw 1 episode and was so turned off by how awful it was that I never bothered to pick it up again. I'll think about it when I finish the game.

I guess not the same situation, then! Haha.

Narag

Ah, so I guess this is the Giant Robo orchestral recording released in the Giant Robo BD boxset? Such a shame there wasn't an hour's worth provided.

Part 1, Part 2

Hot damn.

Musashi Gundoh TV 12

ibmxyGTItxEyNL.gif

Okay so the fucking monkey (voiced by yuu kobayashi) turned into a boy ninja (also voiced by yuu kobayashi) AND THE BLOND CREEPY OLD GUY IS ACTUALLY LEONARDO DA VINCI.

WHAT

THE

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

aotf? aotf

Syrinx

Musashi Gundoh TV 12

ibmxyGTItxEyNL.gif

WHAT

THE

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Holy shit, this show sounds hilarious.

CorvoSol

I totally need to check out this Musashi Gundoh show.

Anyway, Amuro should really just realize that RED mobile suits are Char's.

I enjoyed the anime only because I had like a 2 year gap from actually playing the game and watching the anime.

Maybe that's the best way to enjoy it.

cajunator

Banned
It wold be interesing to watch some of this stuff with you guys.
When episode 1 is over some of you would be like "dropped" meanwhile I cant put the next episode playing fast enough.

Syrinx

I feel like one day I should do this community a service like wonzo is doing and seek out an incredibly bad anime few here have heard of and share its wonders. Like...most here have watched School Days and Yami. I want to discover something.

Edit: Shit Yukiko looks rather mannish in that P4 anime.

Noirulus

Shin Sekai Yori - 01

There's an interesting element of mystery to the story so far, and the show is very atmospheric. The indirect method of storytelling is also pretty nice, as it requires me to actually pay attention instead of staring at the screen and losing concentration every so often.

I only hope the characters won't turn out to be as boring as they've been.

Here's the (fairly NSFW) original illustration that the figure seems to be based on, for what's it's worth.

Also, I just realized I should never go into the FigureGAF thread again, because I would probably kill myself for not having enough money to buy everything. Same thing for the monthly pickup threads too, probably.

Is there a figure based on that Yoko? If not, there should be.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I feel like one day I should do this community a service like wonzo is doing and seek out an incredibly bad anime few here have heard of and share its wonders. Like...most here have watched School Days and Yami. I want to discover something.

Edit: Shit Yukiko looks rather mannish in that P4 anime.

Touka Gettan
Dragonaut: The Resonance
Soul Link
Shuffle!

...really, there's a lot of uncharted territory yet to cover.

Noirulus

Didn't the P4 anime have a pimpin' Yu? I thought that was the reason everyone watched it when it was airing.

a8QYFgV.jpg

Just look at him exuding all that testosterone.

zeroshiki

What is Yukiko doing?!!!! That is unacceptable! I have an S-Link of 5 with her!! What is she doing there?

I demand her do a Youtube apology preferably with her head shaved.

Jex

Akito the Exiled Vol2 new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfuKg2-6P20

If Branduil has any complaints about the CG action in this clip, I'm going to cut myself. Orange is doing some really amazing work here. Really impressive.

Can I complain then?

Just kidding. The thing that sets Akito apart from it's CG forebears is that they have CG backgrounds and CG models, which was clear enough in the first episode. This clearly makes a huge difference because you've then hot a lot more freedom of movement for the camera. So many previous works have overlaid CG models on 2D backgrounds which A) Looks terrible because the CG and the 2D clash and B) limits your camerawork,

Soul Eater 36

Best fight scene ever? Best fight scene ever.

Man, the first half was just amazing. Just the music made everything about it better, it was absolutely delightful just watching and listening to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom