• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

Shin Sekai Yori - 05

[5 minutes in]

Umm.. what the fuck? Is it just me or did the character design, direction et all completely change all of a sudden? The characters, and even the backgrounds look really bad. What on new earth? I'm so confused that I had to make a premature post.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shin Sekai Yori - 05

[5 minutes in]

Umm.. what the fuck? Is it just me or did the character design, direction et all completely change all of a sudden? The characters, and even the backgrounds look really bad. What on new earth?

Just close your eyes and plow through it. Once you make it to the other side you'll find yourself in Shangri-la.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Shin Sekai Yori - 05

[5 minutes in]

Umm.. what the fuck? Is it just me or did the character design, direction et all completely change all of a sudden? The characters, and even the backgrounds look really bad. What on new earth? I'm so confused that I had to make a premature post.

Stuff like that happens in this show, yeah. Quality comes and goes.

Branduil

Shin Sekai Yori - 05

[5 minutes in]

Yamauchi happened.

At least his later episode is actually good.

Soma

Shin Sekai Yori - 05

[5 minutes in]

Yamauchi.

That said I actually liked a lot of the visuals in that episode (some pretty striking background art). The actual direction in that episode is what I kinda had a problem with.

cajunator

Banned
Now to watch Gunbuster or Plastic Little. Decisions. I could also watch Smile PreCure or Ojomajo Doremi I guess...

But it has careful attention to girl's posteriors so it does its own thing too!

THIS!!

Just close your eyes and plow through it. Once you make it to the other side you'll find yourself in Shangri-la.

I wish Kuniko was in Shin Sekai Yori. Or any show for that matter. Because Kuniko is amazing.

Mitsuho

Banned
I wish Kuniko was in Shin Sekai Yori. Or any show for that matter. Because Kuniko is amazing.

Boomerangs will make a comeback. Better chance than yo-yos.

Edit: Remember this? Anime, live action, and like 3 games.
images

Shergal

Yamauchi.

That said I actually liked a lot of the visuals in that episode (some pretty striking background art). The actual direction in that episode is what I kinda had a problem with.

I think the storyboarding for episode 5 had a clear purpose and enough reason to justify being disorienting, and I wouldn't say it's that bad by itself. But everything else in that episode was bad and out of place, from the art to the lighting to the animation to the music direction. So yeah, I don't know what the hell happened there, Yamauchi (and Junichi Hayama too) did much better with ep 10 and 14 (although he only storyboarded 14).

DiGiKerot

I guess I don't really give a shit about the rates. I just import stuff whenever.
I gotta have my Cute. You must understand.

It doesn't really stop me buying at least some things, but it's really hard not to remember when I was getting twice as many yen as I am now for my shiny pound coins. £25-30 for a Japanese DVD/BD is a lot more palatable than £60-70, I have to say.

cajunator

Banned
It doesn't really stop me buying at least some things, but it's really hard not to remember when I was getting twice as many yen as I am now for my shiny pound coins. £25-30 for a Japanese DVD/BD is a lot more palatable than £60-70, I have to say.

I really wish I had learned Japanese because I miss out on so many goodies.
Us licensors just dont understand the value of schwag.

DiGiKerot

I really wish I had learned Japanese because I miss out on so many goodies.
Us licensors just dont understand the value of schwag.

It's not like they didn't try - I've got plenty of old US releases which were full of pointless tat of varying degrees of quality, from pretty much all the larger US distros from the mid-2000's. I think it's more that the local market would prefer things on the cheap side more than they would on the tat-heavy.

Kaze over here in Blighty are a least having a bit of a go at it again, to a limited degree. You release of Princess Jellyfish, whilst annoyingly DVD only, did come with a Clara plushy, and our Tiger and Bunny release is coming with translated versions of the insert booklets from the Japanese release that you aren't getting in the US. Not amazing extras, but it is something, I guess.

Noirulus

Shin Sekai Yori - 05

Poorly animated characters and bad direction led to some very uncanny scenes.
Saki & Satoru's lewd scene felt very outlandish. Actually, scratch that. ALL of their scenes felt very unconvincing. I think even the script was watered down for this episode.

I'm still shocked that this episode turned out to be as bad as it was. Unsynced character animation, complete lack of direction, awful inconsistency in art. Goddamn, I would never have expected this from this show.

Anyway, as long as episodes such as this one are few and far between, I'll be a happy camper.

You weren't kidding, I liked this shot especially:

It's a little unpolished and looks sort of like concept art than an actual background, but the real crime is that the episode doesn't take advantage of such a cool looking background to establish a theme. Instead the art seemed to be constantly... changing. There's no consistent theme behind the queerat stronghold for instance, and between the few nice looking shots lie many bad ones. A real shame.

cajunator

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori - 05

Poorly animated characters and bad direction led to some very uncanny scenes.
Saki & Satoru's lewd scene felt very outlandish. Actually, scratch that. ALL of their scenes felt very unconvincing. I think even the script was watered down for this episode.

I'm still shocked that this episode turned out to be as bad as it was. Unsynced character animation, complete lack of direction, awful inconsistency in art. Goddamn, I would never have expected this from this show.

Anyway, as long as episodes such as this one are few and far between, I'll be a happy camper.

You weren't kidding, I liked this shot especially:

It's a little unpolished and looks sort of like concept art than an actual background, but the real crime is that the episode doesn't take advantage of such a cool looking background to establish a theme. Instead the art seemed to be constantly... changing. There's no consistent theme behind the queerat stronghold for instance, and between the few nice looking shots lie many bad ones. A real shame.

SSY had some dark days. The show is pretty interesting overall.

/XX/

Every Gintama arc is good. Every srs bsns Gintama arc is just godlike. I think this might rival Four Devas for me.
Thanks for the suggestion, however I always feel obliged to watch a thing as a whole, completely! To tell you the truth I don't even skip openings and endings, like... ever, for this reason.

/XX/ needs to write the animeGAF dorama.
DTL is the one more apt for that task, although I would be gladly interested in working on the script adaptation for its remake's production aimed to Spanish TV. :-D

Nah, not in the same sense. The long-winded analyzations, you probably won't see from me, but I'll be around with the occasional blurt. There just came a point where I was seeing so many strings, I wasn't enjoying even good stuff anymore. That long break from both the thread and anime at large really hit the reset switch on that. It also hit the breaks on the suffer-watching.

Once it rains, it doesn't pour, but keeps trickling
until Gintama is over lol
That 'trickling' sound, is nice to hear it again. Welcome back!

Steroyd

I have to skip OP's/ED's sometimes. More often I just watch them though. Mainly its if I need to watch something more quickly.

Occasionally there are times when you have to sit through them Gintama had some ace gags with their OP's from time to time, or what Shaft haven't done in a while and change the OP slightly in every episode.

cajunator

Banned
Occasionally there are times when you have to sit through them Gintama had some ace gags with their OP's from time to time, or what Shaft haven't done in a while and change the OP slightly in every episode.

The most recent one I loved a lot was Steins;Gate. Great everything. It actually made a lot of sense as the series went on too.

/XX/

Nono was just emulating Noriko in her own way. Nono was boring because her strengths were almost entirely physical, while Noriko's power came not from any physical abilities, but from her dedication and resolve in light other shortcomings. She is far more relatable as a character because she is flawed. Remember, a good character is defined not just by their strengths but also by their weaknesses (ie; Batman's past, Edmond Dantès' naivety, Han Solo's arrogance). In many cases it's a character's weakness that can give them a sense of purpose - or get them in trouble. Both of which can provide a good reason for a character to evolve, or provide an inner conflict to overcome. As a machine with few flaws it was difficult to connect to Nono. She had little to sacrifice and her only real weakness was her stupidity (which is easily and instantaneously overcome when necessary). You could argue that one of her weaknesses was her longing for
Noriko's return,
but I think that's a stretch - it also doesn't do anything to help her character. And I'm not sure I would describe Nono as being slender either, since that is far too generous.... I think she was more stick-like. Hardly any sex appeal at all.
Sorry, Extollere, my pal... I just can't see Nono like that! I think she precisely shows flaws beyond what any human could have, and what many would just take for granted; wanting to search for the connection with that (her own) humanity, and create it.

That overly sincere and lacking reaction to the feelings from those around make her emotional responses simple and single-track-minded as a programmed-like spirit of protectiveness and bravery made to replicate so shallowly a worshiped role model that overrides anything else,
and something she complements in the end attaining her own 'being'... her own singularity gained understanding what defined her (and the others) beyond an assigned role or purpose, redeeming her true nature.
That presents Nono as, I think, laudable in a truly equal way.

Comparing Noriko to Nono is pretty pointless; Noriko's equivalent, Diebuster's real main character, is Lal'c. Put in Enokido terms: Noriko is Haruko (the eternal child), Lal'c is Naota (the child that can't stand being a child but whose main strength is that he/she is a child).
I know you are right in pointing that out, and how the characters' roles are as you say... but even then I think there is a simile between Noriko and Nono
(their attitudes both visually, and their meaning as first impulse) in the way both affront what they do, and how that Nono's conviction (reflection of Noriko's own) serves as a befitting example later for a more independent Lal'C of a path to follow as motivation further down the road, even when the very same Nono strays from that very same path she proclaimed.

So, one thing is their characters' wanted role inside the story... and another what do the characters, at a determined point, evoke (to any viewer, like us), or are they used like to take associated previous memories from there and bring a concept anew onto this homage project,
like the Noriko/Nonoriri ideal as a mentor for the future and not just as something to replicate artificially.

She's a false protagonist though. Her role was greatly diminished in episode 5, I think, and almost non-existent in episode 6. It was all about Lal'C coming of age.
Yeah. All in all I really think like that too.

That's crazy man!
I know. :-(

Can't avoid thinking it is not the whole package otherwise (well, for the endings because I also try to read the credits for each episode).

Narag

One Piece 59

ibj3XHPDjRQfxL.gif

wtfisthisshitt. How the fuck was Erik able to talk to the Admiral from like a mile away? wtf

Also I keep forgetting Erik's VA is Frieza's. Probably why I'm sold on him being halfway menacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom