• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

Wasurenagumo

The staff definitely took a KyoAni approach to animating its characters where, like Haruhi, there was far more care in animating the main girl than anyone else. The guy's animation was far more boring in comparison. That was mostly why I was surprised and slightly disappointed, but the more I saw Mizuki, the more I was impressed.

The show really does have great, expressive, animation. While I'm kind of disappointed the guy wasn't as animated as well, I actually think it works in that it helps to further emphasize their contrasting personalities and how they handle the situation, with him being much more relaxed and accepting. Then there is the more obvious reasons later regarding him and the spider girl.

I think it was held back by its length and I wish it had spent more time to develop the main guy. I'm not even talking about that much time. Maybe less than 10 extra minutes in the middle would've been fine. Despite all of my gushing on Mizuki and how much attention is on her both screentime-wise and dialogue-wise, the story is definitely about the main guy. I feel like the developing "relationship" between the main guy and the spider-girl could've been portrayed better. In this sense, I agree with Dresden about how the show is reliant on shock-factor. It forgoes development about the main guy in order to
create that bond with the viewer and Mizuki in preparation for the final scene. In a sense, what Wasurenagumo does reminds me of what people criticize Key shows of. Lol, so I don't get chased out of AnimeGAF with pitchforks, I need to mention that it's a very shallow comparison!

Yeah, the fact that the show is a bit shorter and thus doesn't have as much time to further develop or flesh out it's characters a little bit more would probably be my only real major complaint.

Otherwise, Nafe is right that it's a simple, but effective story. I can't really think of anything to say that isn't obvious, lol. My analytical skills aren't that great. The story establishes early on that something is wrong. I wouldn't say that the direction made an effort to keep an unsettling atmosphere throughout the beginning though. At least, in the cute scenes with the spider-girl, nothing made me think so. In my opinion, the unsettling atmosphere only exists due to a few key scenes. Instead, the show shifts its tone at a certain point, and a couple of cues such as
the web and the bags under the main guy's eyes
indicate where the story changes.

For me, the show always kind of had this underlying unsettling tone honestly. Even with scenes where Mizuki was sort of "fighting" with her and she
bites her on the head
, while definitely cute and amusing, I found them to have a more subtler double meaning sort of potentially foreshadowing events. The flashback to the
guy finding her and things seeming fine but then the people in a neighboring village started disappearing combined with seeing her more spider like appearance, I think gave me a, her cutesie side is a curtain for her true nature, type view.

(For the record, I never liked loli spider girl! I liked the picture Nafe was using of
slightly older-looking spider girl
.)

I personally liked her like that as well. I thought it was kind of funny how she was dangling around from her web or I liked how they had her really excited and cheering to that tokusatsu type show. She looks pretty cute when she was sleeping with that big plushie too.

Although, I preferred
her more mature look later with the picture I posted. Now you know the deeper meaning behind the smile as well.

Hyouka 8
She hides her talents well.

The way she gets framed in some upcoming episodes it's really hard not to notice honestly. Even if she's the type to not draw any attention to them, the camera does.

Irisu is already better than most of the main cast and she hasn't even really done much.

I really like this first picture. I seriously love Irisu's character design. <3

Honestly it was getting to the point that I was maybe just going to laugh if you ended up not liking her rather than getting upset.

http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/E1359390830031_1s.jpg[img]

This is interesting. [b]Tamako Market[/b] is on the cover of Cut Magazine. This is not an anime magazine. Its a legit pop culture magazine that regularly features actors/musicians/idols on the cover.

The writer just gushes about the show for the whole time.[/QUOTE]

I like this A Rough Translation person, haha.
Also,2013, year of the girls! haha.

Saprol

Minami-ke 05

ibvl3iTmuJQWUh.jpg
That background music makes every scene better.

Steroyd

DokiDoki Precure - 01

It was not wise watching this at silly o'clock in the morning, the designs all round look terrifying and I'm going to have nightmares.

Character's look like they have alien eyes when the camera is a certain distance from them, I can't unsee. T_T

Mascots look odd, maybe it's the colour coded eyes that's doing the job. (certainly puts Kyubei into perspective).

I do like how the enemies remind of Kingdom Hearts.

Maybe my preconception that every other year Precure "is gonna suck" is making me see things in a negative light that usually wouldn't bother me, that said it only had a small inkling of humour where Smile was alot more self aware.

Plus points on not having the "lead" not be a clumsy idiot.

And the CG in the ED looked... not that... bad... I think I need to lie down, I've got to be hallucinating at this point.

OceanBlue

http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/E1359390830031_1s.jpg[img]

This is interesting. [b]Tamako Market[/b] is on the cover of Cut Magazine. This is not an anime magazine. Its a legit pop culture magazine that regularly features actors/musicians/idols on the cover.

The writer just gushes about the show for the whole time.[/QUOTE]

kyoani bringing dat big money.

I hope this has an impact on its sales. On the other hand, it's nice to know that KyoAni's shows are in a position where a pop culture magazine feels comfortable to place KyoAni's shows on its cover. Maybe KyoAni shows aren't as otaku-niche as people are sometimes led to believe, hahahaha!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A porcubit?
Why not!

But then how will I be able to change it when Cure Sword turns out to be a shitty character?
You should be stuck with her for as long as the show runs!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/manga/haganai31a.png

What the fuck, this is a billion times "prettier" than the absolutely awful and aggressively ugly Buriki character designs.
That's Rika? What?!

He was pretty much resigned to his death at that point, I don't think he was even trying to find ways to prolong his life.
That's what I figured based on the last episode. By the end of this one, it was too late.

Theonik

I hope this has an impact on its sales. On the other hand, it's nice to know that KyoAni's shows are in a position where a pop culture magazine feels comfortable to place KyoAni's shows on its cover. Maybe KyoAni shows aren't as otaku-niche as people are sometimes led to believe, hahahaha!
Lots of normal people watch anime. The problem arises in that not many are buying it.

Gundam AGE Episode 40 or "The Final Stretch".

So in the event that I didn't drop this on Episode 29 I was predicted to drop on Episode 40. There are 9 episodes left. I'm finishing this!

Anyway back to the episode. It seems like there are now 4 ways of stopping this war as of this episode as now Kio has a battle plan to properly 'save everyone' now.
In that he kills nobody.
Good luck buddy.

So obviously Flit
is upset that his two proteges have abandoned his idea of stopping the war. He's disowned Asemu because he's a pirate and that's evil and is angry with Kio for taking on board what he learnt on Second Moon and that meant he now has ideas installed into his head by the Vegan scum.

On a lighter note: OP3>OP1>OP4>>>>>OP2.

Next Episode:
Sophie from Tales of Graces decides to join the madness of Gundam AGE. Also Feddies trying to get Luna base.

zeroshiki

KyoAni is one of the few studios (I'm not actually sure how prevalent this, I've only seen Sunrise do it) where they are advertisers on the show. As in, their name shows up in the advertisers list and they have commercials for themselves running during breaks.

Also, to relate to the previous K-On discussion, K-On was otaku-famous for sure but it was legit normal people famous. You could go around and ask young people what K-On was and they'd know.

NeonZ

[*]Shinensgumi inclusion in the movie itself seemed like a weird bit of unnecessary fanwank

I thought their absence in that story was the actual flaw. The movie really should have expanded their roles even more. It's stupid how they only appear in stories that are directly related to them in some way.

After the story about Kagura's father, they don't seem to appear as just a police force in any of the big serious stories. In that specific case, there was a battle between two groups of "terrorists" over Edo's skies and a bunch of killings connected to them, and they didn't lift a finger... I was really hoping the movie would throw them in the final battle at least, and was disappointed that it just followed the tv show at that point.

Shergal

E1359390830031_1s.jpg

This is interesting. Tamako Market is on the cover of Cut Magazine. This is not an anime magazine. Its a legit pop culture magazine that regularly features actors/musicians/idols on the cover.

The writer just gushes about the show for the whole time.

Well, Tamako Market is not really a very "otaku" anime aside from maybe the artstyle. The narrative, the characters and the tone feel very different from other late night shows, including K-On!. I have heard more than one person say that it could pass as a typical prime-time Jdrama if it were live-action.

Still pretty interesting though, I wonder if Kyoani shows are going to keep this direction. They should get some better timeslots if that's the case.

Narag

To be honest, I thought their absence in the story itself was a pretty glaring flaw, and the movie really should have expanded their roles even more. It's stupid how they only appear in stories that are directly related to them in some way.

After the story about Kagura's father, they don't seem to appear as just a police force in any of the big stories. In that specific case, you had a battle between two groups of "terrorists" over Edo's skies and a bunch of killing connected to them, and they didn't lift a finger... I was really hoping the movie would throw them in the final battle at least, and was disappointed that it just followed the tv show at that point...

I think my problem is it was all about Katsura/Gintoki/Takasugi, their history, and crossing paths again. If the Shinsengumi had been involved heavily there, sure, I could see them being in there. Otherwise the cast is just too large to include everyone as was joked about in the final bookend.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Gundam AGE Episode 40 or "The Final Stretch".

So in the event that I didn't drop this on Episode 29 I was predicted to drop on Episode 40. There are 9 episodes left. I'm finishing this!

Anyway back to the episode. It seems like there are now 4 ways of stopping this war as of this episode as now Kio has a battle plan to properly 'save everyone' now.
In that he kills nobody.
Good luck buddy.

So obviously Flit
is upset that his two proteges have abandoned his idea of stopping the war. He's disowned Asemu because he's a pirate and that's evil and is angry with Kio for taking on board what he learnt on Second Moon and that meant he now has ideas installed into his head by the Vegan scum.

On a lighter note: OP3>OP1>OP4>>>>>OP2.

Next Episode:
Sophie from Tales of Graces decides to join the madness of Gundam AGE. Also Feddies trying to get Luna base.

I can't believe you're doing this.

OceanBlue

Lots of normal people watch anime. The problem arises in that not many are buying it.
That makes sense. Someone said renting was huge in Japan, right? That might have a something to do with it.

Thinking of this kinda reminds me about an article hosannainexcelsis (I wonder where he went...) posted in another thread that said that purchasing in general was down due to the economy in Japan, which led to otaku and other groups having a much larger influence.

KyoAni is one of the few studios (I'm not actually sure how prevalent this, I've only seen Sunrise do it) where they are advertisers on the show. As in, their name shows up in the advertisers list and they have commercials for themselves running during breaks.

Also, to relate to the previous K-On discussion, K-On was otaku-famous for sure but it was legit normal people famous. You could go around and ask young people what K-On was and they'd know.

I see. I heard that KyoAni has a larger stake in the production committee for their shows, but I didn't really know what that meant. Haha, I've seen the ads, but I never made the connection. I wonder if that means that they're more affected by a show failing than, say, Studio DEEN.

Glad to hear that K-On is well-known though! As a fan, news like that is great.

zeroshiki

Well, Tamako Market is not really a very "otaku" anime aside from maybe the artstyle. The narrative, the characters and the tone feel very different from other late night shows, including K-On!. I have heard more than one person say that it could pass as a typical prime-time Jdrama if it were live-action.

Still pretty interesting though, I wonder if Kyoani shows are going to keep this direction. They should get some better timeslots if that's the case.

Its without a doubt still otaku-centric. Not just the timeslot but the channels (Really awful timeslot though). It airs on UHF on the most minor channels you can imagine. (Tokyo MX is a Kanto-only station etc).

K-On aired on TBS which is a major network and it seemed like TBS actually used some of its own money on its production and promotion not unlike Fuji and noitaminA.

I see. I heard that KyoAni has a larger stake in the production committee for their shows, but I didn't really know what that meant. Haha, I've seen the ads, but I never made the connection. I wonder if that means that they're more affected by a show failing than, say, Studio DEEN.

Glad to hear that K-On is well-known though! As a fan, news like that is great.

Well, DEEN is most likely just working as the hired help of whatever dreck they're doing. KyoAni, being part of the production committee, most likely fronted money for the production. If the production fails, then they lose that money obviously. DEEN most likely gets paid no matter what.

Shergal

Well, DEEN is most likely just working as the hired help of whatever dreck they're doing. KyoAni, being part of the production committee, most likely fronted money for the production. If the production fails, then they lose that money obviously. DEEN most likely gets paid no matter what.

Isn't Kyoani still pretty much paid by Kadokawa/TBS+Pony Canyon for the most part? I mean, I can't imagine that the profits from Chuu2 are substantially higher for Kyoani than for Pony Canyon/TBS, even if they are indeed a relevant part of the prod. committee.

I can't believe you're doing this.

ONly 9 eps to go .. he has seen the worst of AGE already , but not the most stupid plot twists ..when you're this close of the end , you should finish !!

-------------
QUEEN BLADE REBELLION TV - 02

i swear the guys animating this have some copyrighted way to make clothes explode that not even ikkitousen has.. like NEXT-GEN CLOTH DESINTEGRATION
The amount of work they used to make everything seem silly in this episode is remarkable.
There was this octopus the want to assault ladies , no women no warriors and the old crazy sister of S1&S2 that was masturbation outdoors while kids where playing in the water few meters from there.( no i'm not making this one up )

In the queen blade universe , the christianism was always made fun of.. but i had forgotten just how silly they were in that universe.
Queen%27s%20Blade%20Rebellion%20-%2002.jpg

yes that is church training , lol

Still i'm still very confused what the hell happened since the last queen blade but things really took a strange turn.

That's not chocolate...

it's not ? oh really ?

Theonik

DEEN employees are paid with only the finest insta-ramen noodles.

zeroshiki

Isn't Kyoani still pretty much paid by Kadokawa/TBS+Pony Canyon for the most part? I mean, I can't imagine that the profits from Chuu2 are substantially higher for Kyoani than for Pony Canyon/TBS, even if they are indeed a relevant part of the prod. committee.

Yeah, of course, they're not branching into self publishing or anything like that. They're not Ghibli (and even Ghibli has Tokuma and NTV). I was just answering the question of whether KyoAni has more of a financial stake in the success/failure of Nichijou for example compared to DEEN with umm... <insert BL series here>. KyoAni is still hired help but starting with Hyouka, I think, they've gotten more picky with their projects and actually put more of themselves on the line compared to normal.

Theonik

That makes sense. Someone said renting was huge in Japan, right? That might have a something to do with it.

Thinking of this kinda reminds me about an article hosannainexcelsis (I wonder where he went...) posted in another thread that said that purchasing in general was down due to the economy in Japan, which led to otaku and other groups having a much larger influence.
I don't really think renting is really that large a threat to companies as you'd think. It's more that normal people are perfectly fine not owning shows and watching them on TVs. Having 10 complete series on the shelf you'll only watch once is an Otaku thing. Renting adds to it of course but it's not really any more harmful than Netflix is in the US.

They need to make the stuff more affordable.
It's not that simple for reasons stated above. You need to consider this in this way:
Say 1000 people watch a show. 100 are interested in actually owning it, at a certain price. 20 think it's too expensive. 80 buy it anyway. Now let's say we cut the price. Some of the 20 that thought it was too expensive will bite. Maybe some of the people that were not interested at all would be tempted. (though their reasons are more complicated than just price) but you may very well end up shifting more units while reducing your revenue substantially. There is an equilibrium to be reached there with regards to price and a lot of cyclical logic involved of course. Anime could probably afford to be cheaper but it really isn't that simple.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
ONly 9 eps to go .. he has seen the worst of AGE already , but not the most stupid plot twists ..when you're this close of the end , you should finish !!

-------------
QUEEN BLADE REBELLION TV - 02

i swear the guys animating this have some copyrighted way to make clothes explode that not even ikkitousen has.. like NEXT-GEN CLOTH DESINTEGRATION
The amount of work they used to make everything seem silly in this episode is remarkable.
There was this octopus the want to assault ladies , no women no warriors and the old crazy sister of S1&S2 that was masturbation outdoors while kids where playing in the water few meters from there.( no i'm not making this one up )

In the queen blade universe , the christianism was always made fun of.. but i had forgotten just how silly they were in that universe.

Still i'm still very confused what the hell happened since the last queen blade but things really took a strange turn.

it's not ? oh really ?

I really need to get back on this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
DokiDoki Precure 01: (again)

Once more now that I can understand more than 30% of the dialogue.

I don't want to jump to too many conclusions, but that was definitely the most non-starter first episode in modern Precure. Of course, there are only so many things that you can do with first episodes when they're all franchise reboots bound by a yoke of tradition and requiring that specific events happen and pieces of information be conveyed in order to reconstruct the foundation from which the standard Precure formula operates, but this opener failed in the most fundamental ways that it could have--it failed to introduce an endearing protagonist worthy of emotional investment, it failed to introduce an antagonist that can serve as an entertaining foil to the protagonist, and it failed to make the first transformation seem like something momentous for the protagonist and audience.

Aida Mana is a dull Mary Sue. The episode repeatedly and conspicuously depicts how perfect she is, genkily darting from student to student to effortlessly solve their problems as their student council president (barf). She goes out of her way to help lost children find their mothers, return pieces of dropped jewellery, and is the first in a crowd to rush to the aid of someone ill. All Precure protagonists have sunny dispositions and are generally do-gooders, but they're often also flawed, clumsy, or insecure to balance the fact that they're the embodiment of the virtues promulgated by the show. Mana, however, is perfect. Her face is frozen in a perma-smile that robotically spouts optimism and good will, she's universally respected by her peers, she's the role model of the multimillionaire oujosama Alice, and she doesn't even express the least bit of shock or bewilderment at the otherworldly events unfolding around her when the monster of the week runs amok and she comes into contact with the mascots for the first time. The lack of humanity that I felt from Mana might be partially attributable to the episode's boring direction--there was no humor, no reaction faces, no energy--but the fundamentals of her character are still damning.

Precure protagonists generally apply the high-minded ideals that their struggles force them to champion toward overcoming whatever hardships or personal deficits they face at the beginning of season, but what growth can we hope to see from Mana when she begins from a position of strength and perfection? Perhaps subsequent episodes will reveal that she's not as put-together as she appears to be, but as it stands, whatever grand realizations about hope and friendship that come to her in the face of hardship will feel hollow; a natural extension of her character as opposed to a result of growth and trial by fire. Smile was so great in part because the villains were constantly using the imperfections in the characters' lives to try and demoralize them--I don't see how something like that happens in DokiDoki.

The villains, the other major component of a first episode, don't particularly bode well either. With their theme for this season being "selfishness", Ira and Mammo are depicted as working only for themselves and are bothered when they interfere in each other's missions. Villain camaraderie is one of the things that make the good Precure series good, and anyone who has seen a few of the series can attest to how much life the Desert Messengers, Bad End Trio, and Labyrinth Trio added to their respective shows with depictions of how the bad guys interacted when "off the clock". Conversely, the "bad" Precures had villains that were either entirely perfunctory and devoid of character or in bitter competition with each other (Suite, Yes 5). With the new villains so adverse to each others' presence and seeming so unwaveringly and dispassionately committed to evil as Mana is to good, I expect boring things. Also, they're hella ugly.

The Jikochu monsters themselves, while not bad, become disappointing the second you realize that they're just incredibly watered-down Desertrians from Heartcatch. The prospect of having monsters that are born from the darkness of the human heart again was exciting, but when the first monster was summoned and apparently some guy wishing he could cut in a really fucking long line was apparently EEEEEVIL enough to facilitate this, I facepalmed because you would pretty much have to be a saint to take issue with something so innocuous. This was made even worse because the guy actually realized that he was thinking bad thoughts and reneged on his temptation, but the villain enters his head by force, makes him re-think the thought, and explodes the darkness in his heart anyway. This is so much less refined than Heartcatch's approach where the villains generally just sat back and let people dig their own graves with their negative thoughts rather than forcing negativity onto them. I really hope that the show doesn't moralize to such a ridiculous degree because "selfishness" is a concept that theoretically has enough applications to create a season's worth of moral quandaries that can be explored in the surprisingly mature way that Heartcatch did. I'm really hoping that we're not stuck with some babby-tier Goofus and Gallant shit.

Only Regulus is going to read this awful wall of text so I guess I'll just stop here :lol I think I made my pessimism pretty clear long ago, so I don't want to get to the point where I'm repeating myself ad nauseum. Obviously I don't think that DokiDoki is doomed yet, but when the first episode is pretty much a perfect accumulation of the traits that have dragged down various entries in the franchise, it's reason for concern.

Cure Sword still awesome, though. Now if only everyone's civilian alter egos weren't so boring...

Shergal

KyoAni is still hired help but starting with Hyouka, I think, they've gotten more picky with their projects and actually put more of themselves on the line compared to normal.

IIRC Hyouka was Takemoto's pet project; he chose to adapt it all by himself and convinced Kadokawa to let him do it. It's interesting that Atsushi Itou is not the producer for the show, as he (she?) has always been the Kadokawa connection to the studio.
And well, they got this deal with TBS and have been using the timeslot to promote themselves and their LN label.

Mondaiji Somebody Give me a Nickname for This Show 1

This first episode was REALLY fun to watch. Izayoi is Gary Stu but likable, Asuka and You are cute, and I want to have my way with Kurousagi because man is she a beauty. This will be my kemonomimi fix until Dog Days S3 airs I guess.

zeroshiki

IIRC Hyouka was Takemoto's pet project; he chose to adapt it all by himself and convinced Kadokawa to let him do it. It's interesting that Atsushi Itou is not the producer for the show, as he (she?) has always been the Kadokawa connection to the studio.
And well, they got this deal with TBS and have been using the timeslot to promote themselves and their LN label.

Atsushi is a male name :p

Yeah, KyoAni has been getting to do stuff they wanted to do rather than being tied up with whatever scraps whichever publisher wants to throw their way.

I mean, Tamako Market is all original for example. I don't think anyone but KyoAni could have pitched this and gotten it greenlighted. Great job getting Pony Canyon and TBS (wtf why is TBS part of the production?!) to sign off on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom