• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

[Wasurenagumo]

I'm working from the angle of The Evil Demon Seductress here, except taken to the logical extreme of what you do when otaku tastes keep on leaning towards the younger. I think we agreed last time we had this discussion in here that this is a story that has been repeated a lot in anime, but every time the female character gets lolier!
Mizuki would be the real 2D woman who's obviously interested in the main dude but gets ignored for the fantastic fake construct.

What's the difference? lol
The difference is that I'm not being criticized for liking cute loli characters! But yeah, I see where you're coming from now. I was just abstracting it more because I wanted to turn my eyes away from the harsh truth, but there isn't really much of a difference between the obsession and the otaku criticism thing.

(For the record, I never liked loli spider girl! I liked the picture Nafe was using of
slightly older-looking spider girl
.)

wonzo

Banned
Puchimas! 25

puchimasu25.jpg

barf

showx

Banned
Have any shows you've seen previously to compare to what you're looking for?

Off the top of my head: Samurai Champloo and Darker than Black both have stories that are secondary to their great action. Not to say that their characters or plot are completely negligible though.

Seen both of those. Those have a pretty good story, I'm not expecting something like that, dont mind if it is a bit worse. But if there's something with the quality of those 2 you mentioned bring it on, I'll watch it. But I was thinking stuff more like Code Geass, fast paced, stupidly exagerated story, but entertaining (atleast for me).

EDIT: And the minimum fanservice possible please!

What do you think the purpose of anime is?

From a viewer's perspective, I would think the purpose is to entertain. Some people get entertainment from seeing high school girls be pseudo-lesbians. Some people get entertainment from seeing giant robots smash each other to pieces. Some people get entertainment from being encouraged to think about broader themes. Anime - as with any form of entertainment - is capable of portraying or encouraging all of these things.

Do you feel similarly about live action TV drama/comedy, or even filmed documentaries? Do you think all audio-visual experiences should have no capacity for complexity or critical presentation/thought whatsoever, or is it just anime?

I get that anime is a bit like junk food for a lot of people, as with a lot of normal telly. We watch it for entertainment, and people get entertainment from all sorts of different things as per the above. But I don't see why all anime has to be like that.

The purpose of anime is to present an enjoyable and entertaining story with usually some type of story to convey a few emotions and leave us feeling good when its over. The vast majority of anime that try to do things outside of this tend to fail and be full of issues making them questionable series.

I just find it hard to imagine that people truly interested in thinking about broader themes would want to see that in anime, versus reading it in a novel, seeing a play or musical, or reading some other text. I cant really imagine anyone wanting to see, say The Jungle or Silent Spring or Animal Farm, animated or even an anime attempting to portray the same themes as both works. Only time I could see someone wanting to encounter stuff like that in an anime would be if we wanted to avoid reading the difficult to understand Shakespear/Homer or other really classic literature and have it delivered in a more modernized and easier to understand form with all the fat trimmed off and the most cogent material remaining and focused upon. Actually maybe even most modern literature too, I personally, dont read nothing beyond the young adult fiction(last book read, the final Artemis Fowl).

I think tv drama and live action is a good form to portray these things due to being in real visuals with live people. Not to mention since news stories and such dealing with critical thinking is presented in a non anime form, then we are used to live action conveying themes. Though I do think the large number of tv shows and dramas and some movies could really work better as anime at least the more fantasy orientated ones and even sci fi ones.

I don't think Mature's question to you really reflects the route of my unease with your initial statement, which was:

What do you like about From The New World? Don't you think about any of the themes it presents, or what is going on, or the underlying motivations of the characters? That is thinking critically about something. Presenting a philosophical treatise or a scientific theorem is not the only way a work of "art" or "science" can provoke critical thought.

Well, some of them are. Several of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales are anime; Tale of Genji was aired on noitaminA; Huck Finn was animated as Huckleberry no Bouken, etc. And that's leaving aside sci-fi re-imaginings like Moby Dick, the Odyssey (Ulysses 31) and others.

The influential books list are a list of mostly non-fiction texts that have inspired thought or literary form. You can't make an anime out of Sextus Empicirus's Outlines of Pyrrhonism; there is nothing to animate, unless you're making an animated documentary for university students.

(well, technically, Sextus Empiricus would tell us to suspend judgement as to whether there is, or is not, anything to animate, but merely exist in a state where such a thing might be so according to our sense impressions. Yes, I know, I really need to get out more.)

As a means of avoiding reading the novels and delivering the most important information to us in a streamlined fashion, I imagine From the New World works. However I do think the themes it is presenting or at least trying to understand character motivations and other underlying themes, though stimulating discussion and speculation, tends to fall flat and be boring or go over our heads. I prefer having knowledge of events instead of having to well go back, review, reflect, anticipate, and predict. It makes it seem like the anime is a job instead of being entertainment. Though there is just something alluring and addicting about it that makes me stay and keep coming back to the anime, and kind of hoping that we get more like it...

I guess its pretty embarrassing that I didnt know quite a few of the stuff on the list had anime, but still many lack it, and even among the nonfiction ones, they could still be adapted in a really loose form.

Mature

Seen both of those. Those have a pretty good story, I'm not expecting something like that, dont mind if it is a bit worse. But if there's something with the quality of those 2 you mentioned bring it on, I'll watch it. But I was thinking stuff more like Code Geass, fast paced, stupidly exagerated story, but entertaining (atleast for me).

Welp, that eliminates Ben-To.

Narag

Code:Breaker

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I cant really imagine anyone wanting to see, say The Jungle or Silent Spring or Animal Farm, animated or even an anime attempting to portray the same themes as both works.
There's actually a cartoon version of Animal Farm that is pretty good despite some changes to the ending.
I personally, dont read nothing beyond the young adult fiction(last book read, the final Artemis Fowl).
That is not something I would boast about.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Can someone recommend me some action anime? I'd like to watch something that is fast paced and that has relatable/likeable characters. The story doesn't have to make much sense .

Sengoku Basara
Trigun
Hellsing Ultimate
Scryed

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The purpose of anime is to present an enjoyable and entertaining story with usually some type of story to convey a few emotions and leave us feeling good when its over. The vast majority of anime that try to do things outside of this tend to fail and be full of issues making them questionable series.

I just find it hard to imagine that people truly interested in thinking about broader themes would want to see that in anime, versus reading it in a novel, seeing a play or musical, or reading some other text. I cant really imagine anyone wanting to see, say The Jungle or Silent Spring or Animal Farm, animated or even an anime attempting to portray the same themes as both works. Only time I could see someone wanting to encounter stuff like that in an anime would be if we wanted to avoid reading the difficult to understand Shakespear/Homer or other really classic literature and have it delivered in a more modernized and easier to understand form with all the fat trimmed off and the most cogent material remaining and focused upon. Actually maybe even most modern literature too, I personally, dont read nothing beyond the young adult fiction(last book read, the final Artemis Fowl).

I think tv drama and live action is a good form to portray these things due to being in real visuals with live people. Not to mention since news stories and such dealing with critical thinking is presented in a non anime form, then we are used to live action conveying themes. Though I do think the large number of tv shows and dramas and some movies could really work better as anime at least the more fantasy orientated ones and even sci fi ones.

This actually explains a lot about your tastes in anime. I get the impression that you think anime, and perhaps illustrated storytelling mediums in general, can't tackle "serious" issues and thus they shouldn't, which is ridiculous. The reason that animated works dealing with mature themes aren't often successful is precisely because of the prejudice you just showed.

Movies like Millenium Actress and Wings of Honneamise definitely succeed in conveying their stories and themes in a mature and tasteful manner, and broadcast shows like Serial Experiments Lain and Dennou Coil also accomplish what they set out to do without devolving into otaku pandering. And if we move away from anime and into comics/manga, there are works like The Watchmen, The Sandman, Wandering Son and your choice of Inio Asano's bibliography to prove that, yes, you can tell a moving story without 500 pages of text or live action actors.

Are these not successful because they failed in their stories? Hardly. Their lack of mainstream success can be attributed to the fact that most people tend to overlook non-written/live action mediums, relegating them to "children's entertainment" inside their heads.

Junjou Romantica 1 and 2 ( 1 - 24)

Finally opened it from nozomi, hopefully they get Sekaiichi Hatsukoi even though it won't be dubbed, but I really liked the color book that came with it and the cases and the disc cases and disc arts. Just as good as or perhaps slighly better than Sekaiichi Hatsukoi since there wasnt a Yuu Yanase in this who of course I was a fan of but
in the end gets no one in the love triangle

Only criticism with the anime is the animes staff lack of consistently, there were lots of disappointing and reappearing socks in the make out scenes which seemed odd.

All the stories were good and had their emotional moments, Misaki and Usagi with the Usami family issues was second favorite cause family did get a bit in the way but I love Misaki's faces and comments "where are you touching, your hand" etc
when he finally says i love you after blushing so much and struggling...though I wish we got an uke usagi at one point
. Hiroki/Nuwaki had my second favorite story with the random kid episode being my favorite, really lovely backstory, hiroki such a good kid then, and in present, best looks.
shorter older uke was compelling, so many misunderstandings
. Last story huge age gap but I wish they got more screentime maybe an s3?

wonzo

Banned
I can't agree, but I think this is dependent on what you want out of it.
Buriki's beautiful character illustrations are the life of Haganai to me, so I want the TV series to show me those characters walking and talking.
The manga adaptation is well-drawn and expressive, but the characters aren't pretty.

haganai31a.png

What the fuck, this is a billion times "prettier" than the absolutely awful and aggressively ugly Buriki character designs.

(And Kobato is more than lovable in the anime!)
Nah.

mAcOdIn

I... what? There were whole episodes that were dedicated fanservice!
Fine. Time for my real recommendations then.

Gunsmith Cats
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
Escaflowne(My least recommended)
Trigun

What the fuck, this is a billion times "prettier" than the absolutely awful and aggressively ugly Buriki character designs.
I agree. In fact, all the characters in Haganai have this weird wax statue look that's totally off-putting.

This actually explains a lot about your tastes in anime. I get the impression that you think anime, and perhaps illustrated storytelling mediums in general, can't tackle "serious" issues and thus they shouldn't, which is ridiculous. The reason that animated works dealing with mature themes aren't often successful is precisely because of the prejudice you just showed.

Movies like Millenium Actress and Wings of Honneamise definitely succeed in conveying their stories and themes in a mature and tasteful manner, and broadcast shows like Serial Experiments Lain and Dennou Coil also accomplish what they set out to do without devolving into otaku pandering. And if we move away from anime and into comics/manga, there are works like The Watchmen, The Sandman, Wandering Son and your choice of Inio Asano's bibliography to prove that, yes, you can tell a moving story without 500 pages of text or live action actors.

Are these not successful because they failed in their stories? Hardly. Their lack of mainstream success can be attributed to the fact that most people tend to overlook non-written/live action mediums, relegating them to "children's entertainment" inside their heads.

I think that is true (well on the exception that autobiographies (if these can be in the serious issue category) could work in an animated or manga medium). It just seems like if you go the route to tackle these themes then you kind of lose the appeal of what one would want in an anime. For example, I imagine the anime Serial Experiments Lain or Dennou Coil do not have the elements that makes me choose an anime to watch, sacrificing such stuff, to tackle deep issues or have mature themes. Perhaps if there were an anime that has what draws me to anime and tackles such themes as you describe then maybe I could see that the medium could be used to explore serious topics.

I did see the Watchman movie but it was so deep that I fell asleep during it, so much talking and discussing.

Hyouka 8
8E0ryvo.png

K-ON! is going to be name dropped in every KyoAni show from now on, isn't it?
I can't really say much, as the whole episode seems to be all a set up for what's coming up. The movie is obviously acted out really cheesy like, but the way it's animated isn't all that great either. Though I guess it really doesn't matter.
So I guess they need to figure out how to end the movie since the kid who was writing it got sick. So do they ever explain why they can't just ask the writer directly? I mean, they're not dead. Are they in a coma or something? And if there's clues in the script already, why are they having such trouble in the first place?
Irisu is already better than most of the main cast and she hasn't even really done much.
mydU0Ry.png

She doesn't look trustworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom