• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some errant thoughts on the last From The New World episode:

• Now we have two
    matriarch-types who are ultimately not going to survive the antagonists they promise to slowly torture/destroy.
    It's a shame, since the one in this show is leagues above the one in PSYCHO-PASS.
  • There was some clear attention called to the fact that both
    the individual who warned against holding the festival and the one who immediately brushed it off both did not survive the episode
    , but I'm not sure what it is supposed to symbolize.
  • On the topic of symbolism, I want to go back a little bit and note just how fitting Saki's department placement was; at least for positions where one is expect to oversee another group, it seems that the village opts for an individual that distrusts that entity the most.
  • Since they never resolved the question of what allowed that skirmish to end with signs of extreme force yet no weapon evidence, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume
    the line about Maria/Mamoru's bones was a lie. I'll go so far as to speculate that Maria handled the conflict because Yakomaru is probably holding Mamoru hostage. This show kills off primary characters convincingly, but we got a lot of supplementary scenes on a pretty dubious premise--and I don't really get why Saki didn't think twice about exactly who was affirming Maria/Mamoru were dead.

They're labelled as terrorists because they have no qualms about killing innocent people alongside the really bad people they dispose of. Remember, Hyobu let a plane blow up because it was filled with normal humans. The guy may not always be portrayed in a positive light, but he is most definitely a major villain even if
Black Phantom
is a bigger one.

Hell, do you really think no innocent people died in the collateral damage of episode 2?

I think no one has died in ep2 except the guy in the chair. The news feed they showed only talked about a collapse but made no mention of deaths.
I might be wrong they don't care about normal humans , but they are not going out of their way to kill them , nor do they plan to.
Also they ( PANDRA ) have different point of view but aren't genocidal. This also why the childrens are
fated to join pandra at some point in the future.

About the plane blowing up i think hyoubu considers those are collateral damages if you have to fight dirty people.Showing a weakness did lead to him
taking a bullet in the head
in the past after all.

GJ-bu 3

qIit5aa.jpg

Kirara a best. I love tall girls plus she's cute as all hell.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Love Live - 04

9wZTZkR.png

Possible OTP? :O

And from 3 we rise to
. Can't wait to get Eri into the mix so my ship can set sail!

After seeing BGBW's gif of this episode, the ending was so much funnier than it should have been. :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] 15
Real smooth, Jean. Live impressions:

-Oh great, Nadia is being insufferable. Again.
-Aha! My Nadia is an Eva sequel theory keeps on giving me dividends!
-Shots like this all throughout the episode keep on reminding me of Maya and the other bridge bunnies at NERV's headquarters.
-That was so fucking cruel.
Not only are you content on killing the one guy who gives bro advice to Jean, but after granting him a heroic speech you have him crawl back into desperation? My heart broke when I heard his pleas to not die.
:(

Rmg6f7G.gif
Godeaki Anno

I think no one has died in ep2 except the guy in the chair. The news feed they showed only talked about a collapse but made no mention of deaths.
I might be wrong they don't care about normal humans , but they are not going out of their way to kill them , nor do they plan to.
Also they ( PANDRA ) have different point of view but aren't genocidal. This also why the childrens are
fated to join pandra at some point in the future.

You don't think the guy dropped from a few stories that looked dead was, or the people implied to have been ripped apart by Magi's hair?

Anyway, I don't think a news feed is conclusive evidence in a series like this. You see those in so much stuff where people clearly died, yet are never mentioned (mecha series are sooooooo guilty of this).

About the plane blowing up i think hyoubu considers those are collateral damages if you have to fight dirty people.Showing a weakness did lead to him
taking a bullet in the head
in the past after all.

It was used to
smoke out some Black Phantom people, leading Hyobu to justify the action by saying "Normals don't deserve to live".

Nafe

Well, at least you read them.

I read them.

Probably not a coincidence, with her color, apparent story position, handgun in the preview, and the VA preview voice for ep 4 in which they said, "There's a secret in Rei's 5-character line." (5 characters = ほーむらん / home run)
She spoke lines before that at the beginning of episode 1 and toward the end of episode 2.

Ok, I either missed or forgot about that secret line part and I couldn't really remember if she had spoken any lines yet or not.

http://i.imgur.com/gTWioNi.jpg[IMG]

nothing more delicious than CALORIES.[/QUOTE]

This looks like it's from [B]Sailor Moon[/B] and if it's not then it's really similar to a scene from Sailor Moon.

[quote="Seraphis Cain, post: 47310346"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PlxJ7Pl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

When [B]Branduil[/B] asked if that [B]Vivired[/B] gif was mayonnaise this was the guy I immediately thought of. He even puts loads of it on doughnuts, bleh. It's one thing that the character in the show likes it but that the actor has to eat some stuff or at least even pretend to is worse.

[quote="Regulus Tera, post: 47313066"][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMgS4ORYv4M"]What the fuck is this shit?[/URL][/QUOTE]

I didn't watch the whole thing but after watching [B]Utena[/B] I kind of wanted a fencing anime. Directed by [B]Ikuhara[/B] probably.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
She's clearly the "tall/strong girl" type and has done some things like heavy lifting and other stuff. But they don't really say stuff like "KIRARA YOU'RE SO TALL" or other things.

Huh, so no conspicuous displays of tallness. Well, if I ever get back to watching anything from this season, I'll try an episode.

This looks like it's from Sailor Moon and if it's not then it's really similar to a scene from Sailor Moon.

It's from Futari wa Pretty Cure.

Narag

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 01 (Because the title screen/eyecatch said so!)

Steampunkdam! Quite an interesting first episode. Character interactions in this feel quite natural and the characters seen so far are pretty well written. I can see myself enjoying this.
This hat reminds me of the GAF logo Also I thought the MC guy was a girl for the longest time. Somewhat disappointed.

Criminal really.

IIRC Tomino wanted Loran to be female but executives meddled. He got his revenge, he did.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 02

More silly pagan rituals lewdness and seemingly
mobile suits with a mind of their own. RIP Beam riffle.
It's about to get real!

I remember the first time I watched it and I was all wat at the pagan stuff. Glad I stuck through it. :lol

You don't think the guy dropped from a few stories that looked dead was, or the people implied to have been ripped apart by Magi's hair?
Those were mafiosos , ennemies , those don't count and as i said those were the "dirty work" they have to do unless they are dead. he guy implied dead ( after a probable painfull torture ) had a freaking gun.

Anyway, I don't think a news feed is conclusive evidence in a series like this. You see those in so much stuff where people clearly died, yet are never mentioned (mecha series are sooooooo guilty of this).
The news caster finished his sentence by " we hope we can rebuild as soon as possible " . if there were plenty of death that's certainly not what i think he would have used ..

It was used to
smoke out some Black Phantom people, leading Hyobu to justify the action by saying "Normals don't deserve to live".

Black phantom
require some freaking drastic mesures.i don't think they are genocidal anyway.

Narag

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 5

Wow, this show's been pretty great ever since it hit its stride these past few episodes. It sure can pull off some pretty serious stuff even if it likes to ham it up with the humor every now and then. Definitely one of the few shows worth checking out this season. Now they just need to give the dog some fucking teeth, jesus christ it's gaping maw is like some eldritch abomination.

Otsu's totally the redheaded chick that pops up all the time. Same eye colour and everything.

Fully expected a shitheap after the first 2-3 eps so this is a nice surprise.

Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette - Episode 17

Perhaps one of the most fucked up thought processes I've heard of in a while (albeit simple): You know the homeless guy is a thief because he has something of value and not necessarily because of the thing of value in his possession was stolen.

Syrinx

I didn't watch the whole thing but after watching Utena I kind of wanted a fencing anime. Directed by Ikuhara probably.

After Utena 8, I want a surfing elephant anime directed by Ikuhara. Or a cliff-diving elephant anime directed by Ikuhara.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 02

More silly pagan rituals lewdness and seemingly
mobile suits with a mind of their own. RIP Beam riffle.
It's about to get real!

This is one of the best Gundam series I had the pleasure of watching all the way through. An aside: I found myself having the strangest feeling of compassion for Sochie Heim in this series. Let me know how it was for you (with regards to Sochie Heim) if you could :)

Narag

This is one of the best Gundam series I had the pleasure of watching all the way through. An aside: I found myself having the strangest feeling of compassion for Sochie Heim in this series. Let me know how it was for you (with regards to Sochie Heim) if you could :)

Sochie's stuff is the best.

Tamako Market 4
79yjg8g.jpg

Holy shit, Tamako and Anko's mom is Mio! I guess I was right.
An is pretty much how I imagined her, though I guess seeing her in the background for 3 other episodes, one would be crazy to not figure it out. It's clear she took
her mother's death
harder than Tamako has, and it reflects in her character.
Anko and her girlfriends must be magical girls on the side, they're even color coded!
Not even little girls are immune from the themes of love. They're clearly appealing to the otaku crowd here.
There was actually very little bird action this episode, which is welcome, but I was a little disappointed how fast Shiori has gotten comfortable with Tamako already. Last I saw her she had trouble looking at her without having a bag in front of her face. I'm sure some time has passed since then, but the fact that it's not clear when this episode takes place, it was a little weird seeing her form full sentences in front of Tamako. Kanna seems kinda out of place in this show, she'd probably fit better among the cast of K-ON! or something... Well whatever, that's just me nit picking, it was a good episode. Though the next one looks to be one of the best yet!
9y09SXp.jpg

Who knew KyoAni were such big Nintendo fans? Look at those N&B Blocks!

Theonik

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 03
iToYfESxQ2g1c.png

Weak slapkuga is weak
RIP father we only saw on a couple scenes we hardly knew ye
So Lauran is torn between
his moonling nakamas and Earth how typical.
Moustache Gundam will serve as an equaliser I suppose and I'm guessing those retards will find even more Mobile suits.
Nevertheless despite not liking these developments this is interesting!

[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] 15
Real smooth, Jean. Live impressions:

-Oh great, Nadia is being insufferable. Again.
-Aha! My Nadia is an Eva sequel theory keeps on giving me dividends!
-Shots like this all throughout the episode keep on reminding me of Maya and the other bridge bunnies at NERV's headquarters.
-That was so fucking cruel.
Not only are you content on killing the one guy who gives bro advice to Jean, but after granting him a heroic speech you have him crawl back into desperation? My heart broke when I heard his pleas to not die.
:(

http://i.imgur.com/Rmg6f7G.gif Godeaki Anno
That scene really was powerful, probably one of the most powerful scenes Anno has ever done in my opinion. Also I'll have to remember Godeaki, much better than anything I came up with.
Edit: Bit of trivia here. On Anno's preferred version/director's cut the build-up to this scene was omitted. Quite a silly choice though they were trying to fix the pacing I suppose that gets a royal dumping on after episode 22, so sacrifices had to be made.

IIRC Tomino wanted Loran to be female but executives meddled. He got his revenge, he did.
Now this makes me even more upset about this. It's such BS!

I remember the first time I watched it and I was all wat at the pagan stuff. Glad I stuck through it.
You know if Earthlings have become such uncivilised oafs I want the Moon folk to beat the shit out of them. Doesn't seem I'll get my wish though.

Also, might have been posted before but I'll post it again: in addition to Bebop, Anime Ltd. has the rights to the Outlaw Star 2006 remaster, which hasn't seen a UK release yet. They're also teasing a film to be announced (and then immediately shown) during this year's Glasgow Film Festival (specifically, the 10th, clue: European premier). Oh, and they're teasing a non-Bandai Entertainment show, too.

[/zero-effort-post]

[sleep]

zeroshiki

So an anime magazine listed the top 10 young anime directors to look out for (requirement being around their 30's or before)

In no order:
  • Takao Noriko (former KyoAni worked in Disappearance, Lucky Star etc, directed the Saint Brothers movie)
  • Itou Tomohiko (SAO)
  • Fujita Youichi (Gintama)
  • Yamamoto Sayo (Fujiko Mine)
  • Araki Tetsurou (Death Note, Guilty Crown, Shingeki no Kyoujin)
  • Nagai Tatsuyuki (Anohana Movie, Toradora, Honey & Clover II)
  • Shiotani Naoyoshi (Blood-C movie, Psycho Pass)
  • Kishi Seiji (Humanity Has Declined, Persona 4, Angel Beats)
  • Shinkai Makoto (5 cm/s etc)
  • Nakamura Kenji (Tsuritama, Trapeze, Mononoke, C)

Of note, I think Yamada Naoko is not in the list because no one knows what her age is. There was actually a graph with directors and their "youthfulness" and Yamada Naoko had no age listed for her :lol

underage bottoms operation 4
iGh3WnFg8Us6z.gif

Slowly starting to enjoy this show. New girl is awesome cuz of nerd and boobs. Her docking form also has super drills which is a bonus! Show has great artistic artsy art stuff in terms of the mechanical design.

OceanBlue

So an anime magazine listed the top 10 young anime directors to look out for (requirement being around their 30's or before)

In no order:
  • Takao Noriko (former KyoAni worked in Disappearance, Lucky Star etc, directed the Saint Brothers movie)
  • Itou Tomohiko (SAO)
  • Fujita Youichi (Gintama)
  • Yamamoto Sayo (Fujiko Mine)
  • Araki Tetsurou (Death Note, Guilty Crown, Shingeki no Kyoujin)
  • Nagai Tatsuyuki (Anohana Movie, Toradora, Honey & Clover II)
  • Shiotani Naoyoshi (Blood-C movie, Psycho Pass)
  • Kishi Seiji (Humanity Has Declined, Persona 4, Angel Beats)
  • Shinkai Makoto (5 cm/s etc)
  • Nakamura Kenji (Tsuritama, Trapeze, Mononoke, C)

Of note, I think Yamada Naoko is not in the list because no one knows what her age is. There was actually a graph with directors and their "youthfulness" and Yamada Naoko had no age listed for her :lol

It's probably because I haven't been around for a while, but I didn't realize Nagai and Kishi were young. I don't know much about directors, but I think it's a good list. I'll have to take everyone's word on Fujiko Mine, but IIRC, a lot of these are big names already as far as current anime go so the list is pretty easy to agree with.

Zettai Karen Children THE UNLIMITED - Hyoubu Kyousuke - 05

Yagiri is a prime example of the "esper" problem both sides try to solve their own way.
I'm actually loving yagiri as a character.

Zettai%20Karen%20Children%20THE%20UNLIMITED%20-%20Hyoubu%20Kyousuke%20-%2005.jpg

Don't cry little girl !

Anyway the focus on PANDRA is really intresting to see for this season.

i think ZKC is fun to watch ..but i sure don't want to live in such a world..

zeroshiki

It's probably because I haven't been around for a while, but I didn't realize Nagai and Kishi were young. I don't know much about directors, but I think it's a good list. I'll have to take everyone's word on Fujiko Mine, but IIRC, a lot of these are big names already as far as current anime go so the list is pretty easy to agree with.

Actually you're right, Yamamoto Sayo is the only one that's kind out there. Even the SAO guy apparently worked as Assistant director on Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo so his resume is not crap.

Nafe

It's from Futari wa Pretty Cure.

Ok. You know, I found out there is a member here by the name of Mad Clown. It seems like we maybe need to organize a duel or something, haha.

I'm glad, since I take a lot of time writing them, believe it or not.

Well, I can imagine adding all those links adds a bit of time as part of it.

After Utena 8, I want a surfing elephant anime directed by Ikuhara. Or a cliff-diving elephant anime directed by Ikuhara.

That episode was pretty funny just to how silly it got.

Kangaroos boxing on surfing elephants. Fuck yes.

Haha, amazing.

Tamako Market 4
Tamako and Anko's mom is Mio! I guess I was right.

A true Mio and Youko Hikasa fan wouldn't need to look that up. ;p
I also didn't know about Nintendo and those N&B blocks. If I had heard of them before then I've since forgotten.

He did Mawaru Penguindrum two years ago and is working on Penguinbear at the moment. Next in line: Penguincure collaboration with Ukihiko Umakoshi.

I first read that as PenguinCAR. Although it still makes sense with Ikuhara, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom