• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

So an anime magazine listed the top 10 young anime directors to look out for (requirement being around their 30's or before)

In no order:
  • Takao Noriko (former KyoAni worked in Disappearance, Lucky Star etc, directed the Saint Brothers movie)
  • Itou Tomohiko (SAO)
  • Fujita Youichi (Gintama)
  • Yamamoto Sayo (Fujiko Mine)
  • Araki Tetsurou (Death Note, Guilty Crown, Shingeki no Kyoujin)
  • Nagai Tatsuyuki (Anohana Movie, Toradora, Honey & Clover II)
  • Shiotani Naoyoshi (Blood-C movie, Psycho Pass)
  • Kishi Seiji (Humanity Has Declined, Persona 4, Angel Beats)
  • Shinkai Makoto (5 cm/s etc)
  • Nakamura Kenji (Tsuritama, Trapeze, Mononoke, C)

Of note, I think Yamada Naoko is not in the list because no one knows what her age is. There was actually a graph with directors and their "youthfulness" and Yamada Naoko had no age listed for her :lol

Noriko Takao and Kenji Nakamura are the only two deserving names in the entire list.

I imagine a Precure series helmed by Ikuhara would be close to the greatest thing ever.

Matsumoto has more DIRECTOR talent than Ikuhara these days. Even her Fresh Precure episodes were better than Ikuhara's entire work for PenguinDrum.

Chronoexe

Doki Doki PreCure!

Episode 1

Maybe PreCure has corrupted me with it's CG or Mad Pierrot is nuts but I actually really like Doki Doki's ending. Both the visuals and the music. I like the ending them better than the opening theme personally.

Indeed the ending it's awesome it was the best part of the episode :)

Shergal

Speaking of directors and Okada, I really want to see another Nagai x Okada combination. I want to know if Toradora was a fluke or if Nagai really has the power to control Okada! lol

I thought Anohana was pretty restrained compared to what the woman can do on her good days.

Syrinx

That episode gets a totally different meaning the moment you watch it after knowing all the knowings about Utena.

stopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopit

OceanBlue

Now that I think about it, it's a shame that Kishi Seiji is known for Persona 4 and Angel Beats, rather than Seto no Hanayome and Tentai Senshi Sunred.

zeroshiki

Speaking of directors and Okada, I really want to see another Nagai x Okada combination. I want to know if Toradora was a fluke or if Nagai really has the power to control Okada! lol

You're in luck. There's the Anohana movie! :p

We've seen Okada luck into good series when paired with a really strong director (Nagai and Ando、I wanna say Aoki Ei too but his work is kinda iffy for me) so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that Anohana turns out good (better).

Noriko Takao and Kenji Nakamura are the only two deserving names in the entire list.

Matsumoto has more DIRECTOR talent than Ikuhara these days. Even her Fresh Precure episodes were better than Ikuhara's entire work for PenguinDrum.

Ok, so name 8 more directors around 30 to round out your list.

DOKI DOKI PRECURE - 01

i stopped in the middle ...

I'm not feeling it.

i dunno if it's because i've seen them all already and i'm tired or something but i just can't ..

I will go back to PRECURE once ep 5 airs so that i can get a better opinion of this new serie ..because right now doki doki leaves my heart calm.. too calm.

PS : i don't like the opening music.

Syrinx

I'm fascinated: why is Precure allegedly of such volatile and unreliable quality? There are some series that are widely loved around these parts while others seem like they're almost in hatewatch territory.

Jintor

From OT

theunlimited-criticandnerd.jpg

Wat are you doing in my animes angry video game nerd and nostalgia critic

Well, I can imagine adding all those links adds a bit of time as part of it.
Most of the time is me just looking it over and over again to make sure I got what I wanted to say right. That, and that the links work.

A true Mio and Youko Hikasa fan wouldn't need to look that up. ;p
I also didn't know about Nintendo and those N&B blocks. If I had heard of them before then I've since forgotten.

Oh, I did. The links were for those that didn't know. And it was mostly a call back to when I joked about how Tamako looked like she was Mugi and Mio's love child. So I guess I got half of it right. lol
And for all I know, they're just Lego's here, I just wanted to crack a stupid joke only someone like BGBW would get. And yeah, N&B originally stood for Nintendo Block.

OceanBlue

I thought Anohana was pretty restrained compared to what the woman can do on her good days.
I can't help but think of crossdressing as a dead elementary schooler when I think of Okada and Anohana. You're probably right, but I can't help it...
You're in luck. There's the Anohana movie! :p

We've seen Okada luck into good series when paired with a really strong director (Nagai and Ando、I wanna say Aoki Ei too but his work is kinda iffy for me) so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that Anohana turns out good (better).

I didn't even know there was a movie. To be honest, I was really confused when I saw it on the list, but other things caught my attention. I think it'll turn out good! To me, Anohana had a nice theme that could've made for a great show. I didn't think it was awful when I watched it, so I hope the movie does a good job of picking the good parts and doing them better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh snap! Toei intern defending Toei's interests.
stopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopitstopit
WATCH MORE UTENA
I'm fascinated: why is Precure allegedly of such volatile and unreliable quality? There are some series that are widely loved around these parts while others seem like they're almost in hatewatch territory.
Because Toei.

i don't hatewatch ... for dokidoki i feel like it's lacking so right now i'm disapointed .. like i was disapointed by fresh first episodes .

The opening of a season must set some bases .. sometimes they do it very well sometimes they mess up. But that's never an indication of the overall taste of a serie in the long run.

For example i liked smile beginning , but disliked many things in the middle ( including the ending ).
Another example is that i was on the verge of dropping precure after being disapointed by "yes" entire season yet "yes gogo" arrived and i watched it all .( because that season had a nice start )

When you're rebooting a world , setting new rules, ennemies , character and locales , you shouldn't mess with the start .i feel like they did something dull ( at half of the episode only ) so i stopped to see what direction they would take this season at.

For example, the beginning fight lacked in so many areas .. when you begin a season on a fight , do it like heartcatch ... put some tension , some fighting spirit in it ! Dammit !

zeroshiki

I can't help but think of crossdressing as a dead elementary schooler when I think of Okada and Anohana. You're probably right, but I can't help it...

I didn't even know there was a movie. To be honest, I was really confused when I saw it on the list, but other things caught my attention. I think it'll turn out good! To me, Anohana had a nice theme that could've made for a great show. I didn't think it was awful when I watched it, so I hope the movie does a good job of picking the good parts and doing them better.

I didn't know there was a movie either.

When AnoHana first aired, it had soooo much potential to be a good show. I love nostalgia and it seemed like it would be a good piece about friends who've drifted away from each other get back together like the good old days for some reason or another. Normally the KEY-ish overly sentimental stuff gets shat on here but alot of people hopped on the bandwagon (hi Geneijin) and we had some fun with HanaIro vs AnoHana. But then, of course, Okada disease kicked in and she or the director couldn't help themselves with either: a) going for tropes; or b) out crazying everyone.

Cardfight!! Vanguard Asia Circuit 69 (engDub)

Definitely most boring episode of the arc, girl power episode with really girly cutesy cards or nurses with thermometers, fairys and angels, and ponies with lasers. At least the one PSY shop owner had personality and was all dramatic with Limit Break.

zeroshiki

Mari Okada (or whoever at DEEN) ruined one of my favorite RK arcs with terrible dialogue and total nonsense. I would have preferred they not resurrect the property than what they did with it.

They just need to invite Aaron Sorkin, aimrite (duckroll)?!

Foul! I like Aaron Sorkin =/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora 1

I think I'm going to like this. Ryuji seems like a good protagonist, and Taiga is so tsun-tsun it's almost hilarious.

Though I do kinda feel like maybe I should watch something that doesn't take place in a high school. After Azumanga Daioh, BRS TV, Candy Boy (well, there weren't too many school scenes in that, but still), Nichijou, etc...the setting's starting to feel a bit played out.

Doesn't mean I'll be dropping this, though. Not at all. Like I said, first impression is that I'm really going to enjoy it.

Nafe

Doki Doki PreCure! is having some kind of ad campaign running from February 2nd to February 11th, where if you buy one of the girls transformation device toys and take a picture of yourself with it then send it in, you have a chance of being one of a hundred people to be in a commercial for PreCure. Apparently all participants that don't win will still be in some web commercial.

I'm not sure how popular PreCure really is but depending on how many applications they get I imagine it would just be a real quick montage or a collage of pictures and you would have to try and pick yourself out or something.

I didn't look at all the details but they do have an age limit in that you can't be older than an elementary school student, sorry guys, haha.

I didn't know there was a movie either.

When AnoHana first aired, it had soooo much potential to be a good show. I love nostalgia and it seemed like it would be a good piece about friends who've drifted away from each other get back together like the good old days for some reason or another. Normally the KEY-ish overly sentimental stuff gets shat on here but alot of people hopped on the bandwagon (hi Geneijin) and we had some fun with HanaIro vs AnoHana. But then, of course, Okada disease kicked in and she or the director couldn't help themselves with either: a) going for tropes; or b) out crazying everyone.

I think it suffered from Fractalitis, where the tone was just so inconsistent and the characters were so poorly developed, that any sort of interest the subject matter could have had was completely lost. Comparing it to Hanasaku Iroha which was airing at the same time and was out of this world only further highlighted its deficiencies, but it would have looked bad even if you were comparing it to Trinity Blood or MD Geist or some other really shitty anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Well, essentially, the franchise's main objective is to sell toys to kids. Regardless of how enjoyable a season is to the periphery adult fanbase, it generally executes this main objective consistently from season to season. Toei is notoriously inconsistent with how it applies its most talented staff to its own shows, and because appeal to the periphery demographic isn't a priority, it's the luck of the draw as to whether or not the people charged with developing the scenario, characters, and narrative from year to year will produce something with that kind of appeal. When it goes wrong, you either get something dumbed down/through the motions (Yes 5) or you get something that isn't inherently bad but gets starved for talent and ends up trainwrecking (Suite). And unlike other Toei shows that vacillate wildly between great and bad from episode to episode, entire seasons of Precure tend to be consistently good or bad which is why there's panic when a first episode shows echoes of previous bad installments.

Syrinx

The iDOLM@STER 14

Seems like a starting point for a new season. Pretty good. Everybody got some attention in this episode, and that's usually a good formula for this show. So 961 and its douchemaster president have decided to wage war, cause they're becoming pretty big, by stealing their magazine cover spot. I understand what the producer was saying (speaking of the producer, can Miki stop calling him "honey"? It's fucking creepy as shit), but I still would have let Makoto have five minutes alone with him. They're all depressed until they read fanmail and feel better.

Even if the episode sucked, would have still been worth it for that Makoto/Takane shot.

Edit: Thanks for the explanation, Mad Pierrot.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sakurasou 17

Okay. This dude is one dense fuck. Even at the end of the episode he doesn't get it. The hell man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom