• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TpFk5YM.png

And they're more 'if we put circles on rectangles they look a bit like Lego but it isn't' blocks.
But can you build a Kamen Rider with Legos? I think not.
Let's take K-On as an example. Here's a screencap of a news variety show BEFORE the K-On movie.

463eda4d-s.jpg

It says K-On and related goods have sold 28 billion yen.

Now, what we know of K-On's sales is from reports around when the last K-On!! volume came out and it said the K-On series has sold 540k units. Now, assuming 8800 yen per disc (because why not) that only comes out to 4.75 billion yen. There was like a 20 billion yen goldmine in merchandising.

That's pretty amazing, do you have any sources for this?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Decided to take a wait and see approach and then imgurs image server dies for me so I can't even see it.

EDIT: I can finally see it. Nice.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
sorataaa.png

Well considering that this is two cour romcom anime I really didn't expect any meaningful development yet (we will maybe see something in last episode...). Still it was rather nice episode.

Nafe

I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with the name Yasuhiro Yoshiura but you might be familiar with some things he's worked on, such as Time of Eve or Eve no Jikan in Japanese and the upcoming Patema Inverted. Personally all I had seen of his works were a couple of trailers for Patema or perhaps they were for those specials which may be part of or a lead into the show. Anyway, I decided to look at what else he's worked on and start from there.

Noisy Birth

ilXRku8bJBDF6.jpg

I think I actually originally got this picture from Branduil so I'll give credit to him for it.

The first piece I could find was this approximately two minute long music video he worked on that aired in 2000 called Noisy Birth. The visuals were okay I guess and are all mostly in black and white and at times and there was the odd interesting looking part but I'm not really sure what, if any, story the visuals were really trying to tell. I also wasn't personally a fan of Shibata Yuki's music here. Over all it's kind of forgettable but at only two minutes or so it's an interesting curiosity piece to see where he started anyway.

Kikumana

kN96ooI.jpg

The next work I could find was this approximately six minute long piece called Kikumana released in 2001. Kikumana is apparently the name of the girl which this short focuses on. I don't think there is supposed to be an exact story to go along with it but it's strange and surrealistic type imagery is more supposed to help evoke a type of mood or atmosphere within the audience. It does have some pretty interesting visual ideas I thought and it seems like with the girl not much happens in her little world but at the same time a lot happens and she's alone but also not really alone.

Some might find her character design perhaps off putting, the way her eyes look all black for example, but I personally kind of liked it. Speaking of that, the piece is all black and white and grays but there is quite the contrast between the light and the dark here. There's really no dialogue with except for one line where a robot thing says "It's time" or something. Although it's kind of funny that the girl still gets credited with a voice because while she doesn't talk, she does still technically have a voice with her audible musings or gasps and what have you.

It was kind of interesting how it also switches between a first person POV as well. For only being about six minutes long I think it's a piece people should take a look at whenever you get a little bit of free time.

Mizu no Kotoba (Aquatic Language)

EQMXkin.jpg

The last piece I looked at so far was Mizu no Kotoba or Aquatic Language. It's the longest of the three at about nine minutes and came out in 2002. This piece is in colour and has actual dialogue to it. It's set in a cafe with different groups of people talking to each other in their own little conversations. The one girl by herself reading books reminded me of Kikumana with her design. Unlike that show, the visuals here aren't as interesting but instead it's now more the narrative. Personally I didn't mind the somewhat rougher drawings either and found they had their own charm. The main male character at the counter is also voiced by Yasuhiro Yoshiura himself.

I'm also starting to notice some techniques that he likes to use, such as going into a first person perspective a few times with the main character in this piece again. I actually kind of liked this show. It's not super deep but it's interesting how all the seemingly seperate conversation tie in together in a lot of ways or there are visual hints towards other things which will be revealed later.

(Ending Spoilers)
The reveal of the girl working at the cafe really being an android or robot is pretty much told to you before the guy goes into that bubble world as her pupils dial in complete with a quick and subtle but definite mechanical sound. As the guy is walking by you hear the two girls talking about Androids which pretty much gives it away so it wasn't really a big shocker in the end. I guess the fact she didn't really have any legs was more surprising.

While I haven't seen Time of Eve yet, knowing the general theme of it being how humans and androids interact and the idea of communication and knowing both of these works were directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura, this piece really does seem like a precursor in terms of where some of the ideas come from such as the general theme of the importance of words and people communicating, people talking about androids a little and combined with the visual cues of books and a person reading a book dealing with Isaac Asimov and I Robot for example.

At only nine minutes in length I have to say I liked this one along with Kikumana and recommend others take a look at it. At least to see maybe where some of the ideas and directorial techniques came from for later works such as Time of Eve.

3kM18TG.jpg

I think this is supposed to be a POV shot from the main males eyes but the characters during this scene just looked really weird to me.

Steroyd

Magi - 17

ibQcBRBEe9B7m.gif

Please step into the light.

Kthxbye.

Only one episode held my interest all the way through and it was all action, there are glimpses of a good show with humour, but for the love of god is it not being utilized.

Magi - 17

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Gifs/Anime/ibQcBRBEe9B7m.gif[/IG]

Please step into the light.

Kthxbye.

Only one episode held my interest all the way through and it was all action, there are glimpses of a good show with humour, but for the love of god is it not being utilized.[/QUOTE]

I dont understand the criticisms, just what were people looking for in this anime?

/XX/

TV放映30周年記念 キャッツ・アイ Blu-ray Special BOX OP映像ver. - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wllWnKjbOMU

TV放映30周年記念 キャッツ・アイ 2nd Season Blu-ray Special BOX OPver. - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMW23OrcXlc

Promoting the upcoming BD-BOX releases of Cat's Eye first and second seasons (http://www.kingrecords.co.jp/cs/g/gKIXA-90250/ and http://www.kingrecords.co.jp/cs/g/gKIXA-90256/, respectively) with videos not in high-definition kind of defeats one of the purposes of such product advertising, I think. Anyway, nice to know those are coming soon.

June? Damn, that's too far :(
It seems far away now, but remember Ms. Ogata told us to look forward to the full version of the opening (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46645711&postcount=17301)... so the wait will be worthy!

Yeah it is. I want that exact figure so badly too.
Not gonna spend 700 bucks on it though. Total waste of money.
I was wrong, according to AmiAmi, it was released back in 2009. So I guess it just had a really small print run, as I can't find it being sold anywhere else.
3kM18TG.jpg

I think this is supposed to be a POV shot from the main males eyes but the characters during this scene just looked really weird to me.

Maybe the main character is a fish.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Forgetful Girls: Amnesia 5
GVYh2IDl.jpg

I probably wasn't paying attention before, but the fashion sense of these characters is just hilarious. Two belts just... hanging there. Are they sewn into the skirt? Or is she binding her legs? Who knows.

One thing I also noticed was the main character's voice acting. I don't know if it's the actress herself or if the director made her do this, but I challenge someone to count the number of "Eh", "Huh", "Uh", "Ah" grunts and exclamations that she makes throughout this episode. It's like her standard reply to any conversation because she can't figure out any other way to sound confused.

Maybe you can't just do silent reactions in anime because you don't have the ability to use your face to act and portray a particular emotion, but this was pretty damn ridiculous. lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mizu no Kotoba (Aquatic Language)

Yoshiura's character art was still really rough during Mizu No Kotoba. His characters don't lose that roughness until Time of Eve, so that's probably why they look so weird in that fisheye shot.

One thing I also noticed was the main character's voice acting. I don't know if it's the actress herself or if the director made her do this, but I challenge someone to count the number of "Eh", "Huh", "Uh", "Ah" grunts and exclamations that she makes throughout this episode. It's like her standard reply to any conversation because she can't figure out any other way to sound confused.

Maybe you can't just do silent reactions in anime because you don't have the ability to use your face to act and portray a particular emotion, but this was pretty damn ridiculous. lol

Isn't that how it is in every anime?

cajunator

Banned
I love the electro-orchestra sound of Allison and Lillia's soundtrack. Very interesting mix.
I didn't really pay much attention to the soundtrack during the show, except for the lovely theme.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, but they're overdoing it on purpose for comedic effect. In Amnesia, it's mean to be dramatic.

It's sort of how like in Japanese drama/anime, characters have to say each other's names (with ellipses) in order to fill the silence.

Kotoura-chan...
Manabe-kun...
Kotoura-chan...
Manabe-kun...

As long as it contains the rider 'real' before 'incest'.
You can't be the SDBurton of incest, after all! lol

http://i.imgur.com/GVYh2IDl.jpg[/IG]

I probably wasn't paying attention before, but the fashion sense of these characters is just hilarious. Two belts just... hanging there. Are they sewn into the skirt? Or is she binding her legs? Who knows.

Maybe you can't just do silent reactions in anime because you don't have the ability to use your face to act and portray a particular emotion, but this was pretty damn ridiculous. lol[/QUOTE]

Is [spoiler]Orion[/spoiler] back? She didnt seem to do it that much at like episode 1 or so.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Speaking of a different show about groups of girls, god forbid Saori get a focused episode/segment/moment in Girls und Panzer, as she's another a shitty character that can bog down any scene at the speed of sound.

It's okay Ultima, you can be wrong once in a while and we can still be tomodachi.

Mitsuho

Banned
While I haven't seen Time of Eve yet, knowing the general theme of it being how humans and androids interact and the idea of communication and knowing both of these works were directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura, this piece really does seem like a precursor in terms of where some of the ideas come from such as the general theme of the importance of words and people communicating, people talking about androids a little and combined with the visual cues of books and a person reading a book dealing with Isaac Asimov and I Robot for example.

Run on sentence... anyway go watch Eve no Jikan.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, but they're overdoing it on purpose for comedic effect. In Amnesia, it's mean to be dramatic.

It's sort of how like in Japanese drama/anime, characters have to say each other's names (with ellipses) in order to fill the silence.

Kotoura-chan...
Manabe-kun...
Kotoura-chan...
Manabe-kun...

You can't be the SDBurton of incest, after all! lol

zeBA4Cq.gif

OceanBlue

GVYh2IDl.jpg

I feel like I've seen that type of style before.

Amnesia 05

Eh, I am liking how each different each new route is. Kinda like an Endless Eight then that they yell at you in your face. Don't care about the otome boyfriend this round either so not really all that interested.

68 times. Or so.

/XX/

How is that lazier than the millions of EDs out there that just use stills like this or this, though?

Personally I wouldn't be able to call any ED that's actually animated lazy, I guess.
In that vein, first one to come to mind was Medaka Box first season ending. It was very simple but I liked its charm, on those little characters made by Mr. Kuwana. Relaxing and went well with the song!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom