• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
FUNimation has released the trailer for Parts 1 and 2 of A Certain Scientific Railgun DVD. Brina Palencia appears to be the voice of Saten. Not sure what to say with the English dub at the moment though.

Oh nice! Didn't realize it was up for preorder. Already got Magical Index but really Railgun is so much more fun.
Also I noticed Last Exile FAM is up for preorder too. almost forgot about it!
Its a good thing I have bought just about everything up till now that I have wanted to own so now I can concentrate on the latest stuff only.

I got some nendoroid petits in the mail today, but I just thought it was funny that the seller packed the box in with anime fliers.
YOp3THs.jpg

R5Z8EcC.jpg
I got other things as well, but I just thought that was funny.

Theres Touma...wait, why only one tiny two second clip :/ Oh well so glad theres no Index. Hope the action is high, have this preordered.

Should be more Touma in Railgun SS this Spring, with the Sister's Arc being animated and all. Hoping this too will be licensed and receive a proper Blu-ray release.

Oh nice! Didn't realize it was up for preorder. Already got Magical Index but really Railgun is so much more fun.
Also I noticed Last Exile FAM is up for preorder too. almost forgot about it!
Its a good thing I have bought just about everything up till now that I have wanted to own so now I can concentrate on the latest stuff only.

Well it is a good thing that RightStuf is currently having a FUNimation sale until February 7th so you can those preorders in.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The most impressive thing about it was how right it was about the internet and how it overtakes real human communication. Way ahead of its time. Lain is such an incredibly relevant show now.

All you need to do is make everything wireless and it could be a show made this year.

/XX/

After seeing the latest Tamako Market episode (and preview for the following one) the thought of how fast time is going by on it crossed my mind. Don't you feel that type of shows draw you dramatically more closer to the lifelines of the characters? Don't you feel them to be more exhausting emotionally? In general for such shows, we see places where it seems every instance matters, some opportunities could be the last, and each passing moment is a lesson forever... well, this really depends on the series in question but it kind of appears like an end is always closer in the path for everyone involved.

Because of this I normally find series where the action seems frozen in time or resets and keeps going in cycles more accessible, more... "amicable", or "gentle" on the viewer expectations.

Maybe it is because I don't want to think time marches on inexorably when watching those characters live on... knowing things will still happen rapidly when we can't continue to watch. It breaks our relationship with what we followed before.

Mature

[Serial Experiments Lain] - 1

Studio and When

Animation Studio: Triangle Staff
Year: 1998

The Creators

Director: Ryūtarō Nakamura
Writer: Chiaki J. Konaka,
Character Design: Yoshitoshi ABe,
Thanks for this! Hopefully others see your write up(s) and go to experience Lain themselves. I watched it for the first time last year (I'm in the process of watching it again on BD with a friend) and was extremely surprised by how different it is and how much the style resonated with me. It's the perfect piece to consider when you're looking for a work with a great atmosphere and a surreal narrative.

And, yeah, I have to agree with it's message being more pertinent now than it was when it aired. I hope for that reason it will continue to be appreciated as time passes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I know right, what the fuck? He's tripping.

I wouldn't have been surprised if there wasn't a KyoAni offering this season BUT THERE IS.

I thought Jason loved KyoAni. My life is a lie.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The A-WAR bit is interesting (and not actually a real sabermetric stat!).

And I agree with him that Sasami's scores will go up over time. Can't say the same about Tamako.

Kagami

I dont understand the criticisms, just what were people looking for in this anime?

kickass greatly animated action and a good pacing.

Ether a well paced adventure or a show starring Sinbad wrecking fools with his bros.

A soundtrack that didn't suck arse.

A good adaptation.

A sense of adventure for starters.

An overarcing plot was inevitable given that it's shounen, but it hasn't quite found the balance of action plus politics, it's either front loaded with one or the other.

I usually have zero interest in boys' comics and their adaptations, then one comes along that I actually enjoy and of course it's the one GAF hates. Wonder if that means anything.

Jex

I usually have zero interest in boys' comics and their adaptations, then one comes along that I actually enjoy and of course it's the one GAF hates. Wonder if that means anything.

Don't confuse this thread for whole of GAF! We are but a difficult to remove splinter in the body of GAF.

I think Magi is pretty enjoyable, I do think that it did have an issue balancing out politics/economics for the sake of plot versus action.

Then again people sometimes do seem pretty distressed if they ever find themselves in agreement with me.

It's important to note this is a very popular series among gaffers. Just not the anime version.

Jex

Also, you can tell that Serial Experiments Lain hasn't aged at all because every episode starts with "Present Day...Present Time"

BluWacky

2ch tells us what anime to watch next season.

Legend:
Triangle is don't watch.
Circle is worth watching.
Double Circle is must watch.

What criteria is this based on? The "top picks" seem pretty sensible - Attack on Titan, the OreImo and Railgun sequels, and that Love Comedy thing. They sound like they'd be the kinds of shows that people were getting excited about.

I'm happy to see, however, that 2ch aren't immediately writing off Red Data Girl. Despite its terrible pacing issues, I enjoyed The Good Witch Of The West anime (and the first novel, which I think was all that got released in English?) a few years back, so I'll be interested to see how another Noriko Ogiwara adaptation fares.

DiGiKerot

I'm happy to see, however, that 2ch aren't immediately writing off Red Data Girl. Despite its terrible pacing issues, I enjoyed The Good Witch Of The West anime (and the first novel, which I think was all that got released in English?) a few years back, so I'll be interested to see how another Noriko Ogiwara adaptation fares.

The second book did come out in English at some point - at least, I'm pretty sure I remember reading it about the same time that Haikasoru republished Ogiwara's Dragon Sword and Wind Child.

-edit- Infact, UK Amazon look to have a single copy of that second book in stock, so the asking price hasn't skyrocketed ludicrously like they have for other OOP light novel translations!

Kagami

What criteria is this based on? The "top picks" seem pretty sensible - Attack on Titan, the OreImo and Railgun sequels, and that Love Comedy thing. They sound like they'd be the kinds of shows that people were getting excited about.

http://yaraon-proxy2.yarareyaku.net/blog-entry-14410.html
It's not 2ch, but rather the Yaraon writer's personal interest.
Double circle is his high expectation, single circle is moderate expectation, triangle is normal, and x is "lol."

It looks like this was reported somewhat poorly over on gamefaqs
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000121-anime-and-manga-other-titles/65374891

http://yaraon-proxy2.yarareyaku.net/blog-entry-14410.html
It's not 2ch, but rather the Yaraon writer's personal interest.
Double circle is his high expectation, single circle is moderate expectation, triangle is normal, and x is "lol."

It looks like this was reported somewhat poorly over on gamefaqs
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000121-anime-and-manga-other-titles/65374891

Ah, lol. Should have looked at the source first then.

Asu no Yoichi 05

Bowling is hard.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I certainly can't forget that element of the opening to, especially as it really casts doubt over everything that you're about to see.

It's like the director is trolling you!

Gundam AGE Episode 45 or "EXA-DB: The Revenge of MySQL"

This episode was pretty boring. I kept thinking of databases and how awfully tedious they are. It's a bit like Gundam AGE in a way.

Next Episode:
The Final Battle. Interesting things may or may not happen.

Theonik

It looks like it's just an inferred thing that's not outright clear in presentation.

Shaky audio/video makes it look like there's a degree of interference to the point she's not entirely sure what she saw hence her next comment (which fits into the whole meta-joke part) as she's questioning the White Doll's pilot's gender.
The whole sitution seems pretty much contrived to make that joke at this point. There are other instances I feel he should be recognised. Don't think I'll bother much about it, I'm probably making it out to be larger deal than it is.

That's actually more of a nudge towards the God Warrior from Nausicaa that Anno animated a few years prior to making Nadia.
The EVAs themselves largely draw from that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom