• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
But it could still look better, even without an increase in resolution, simply by throwing more bitrate at the encode.

I would love to have haibane blurays for durability sake.
Im super careful with dvds.
Out of maybe 1000 dvds I think less than 20 have any scratch whatsoever and if so it was in shipping or accidental.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sunkai 0-12 + Next 1-5

So I just marathoned the series up until now and I have to say that I'm liking it. I can't believe I happened to come in at a decent cliff hanger. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Who would have thought it was Hypnosis that would end up breaking the secret.

wonzo

Banned
The rod tv blurays were a messy upscale too.
No way, they look better than the DVD's as no detail's lost in the process as what usually happens with bad upscale jobs the show benefits thanks to the lack of obnoxious macroblocking and banding. There's a couple of comparison shots here. It's pretty much as good as an upscale can get really.

The Haibane dvds are fine.
I'm pretty happy with the Funi release as they actually look better than the original R1 release but a proper upscale job would be far more preferable.

cajunator

Banned
No way, they look better than the DVD's as no detail's lost in the process as what usually happens with bad upscale jobs the show benefits thanks to the lack of obnoxious macroblocking and banding. There's a couple of comparison shots here. It's pretty much as good as an upscale can get really.

I'm pretty happy with the Funi release as they actually look better than the original R1 release but a proper upscale job would be far more preferable.

The funi set is better than original geneon?
Now Im tempted.
But I will wait for bluray.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hataraki Man 6

9wlA3lE.jpg

OMG UUUUGH

wonzo was right. Watching this was freaking painful. At one point I was actually grinding my teeth in anger.

Geez. I need some Polar Bear's Café to relax.

/XX/

Just one more until I reach the promised land. Gonna have to leave it for tomorrow though . So much :wonzo can't be good for anyone's health.
Leaving the best for the end, I see. It would have been better watching all the filler at once, that way episode 34 feels like a liberation! The 'swan song' (never said better)! Freedom to affront what really matters!

sonicmj1

Hataraki Man 6

I don't think I've ever hated anyone in an anime the way I hate Dojima. It's not just how scummy he is, it's how his douchebag misogyny is tolerated and laughed along with by his coworkers. Fuck him.

iidnupFHM2qN7.jpg

I want to break his fucking face

One of the fascinating (and sometimes sobering) things about this show, and the thing that makes it so interesting for those interested in modern Japanese culture, is how it uncritically mirrors various social conventions and ideas in office life. In that way, I think it's even more representative than Usagi Drop, which did similar things with parenthood through its wider cast. So to see this take on how women are perceived in the work place (and how they react to those prejudices) is really depressing. Especially with how Yumi is handled in this episode.

iAydQiwZEWFgw.jpg

Haha your jokes are so funny asshole misogynist man! I'll laugh along with you because that way people won't hate me!

There's a lot of things that are done well with Yumi, and I'm glad they go out of their way to redeem her. But the tension between her and Hiro earlier in the episode is a rough way of showing how latent misogyny in the workplace can work to pit women against each other for no reason.

isDjumWI3iUG0.jpg

Why do you think they are in any way justified for shitting on you because you stood up for her fuck fuck fuck

The only thing I could imagine being more infuriating would be if Usagi Drop had followed the manga ending. Except I can't hate this show for it for some reason.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I forgot that show even existed. I watched only like four episodes of season three and I stopped caring. Did the show get back on track?
Not entirely sure since I need to get caught up myself, but from what I've seen it's a step down from season 2 overall, even with expected inconsistency.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Marine >> Other Precure.

Is your avatar from the bit where
she asks the Desertrians if they can trash the High School whilst they're doing their Down With Homework thing?
Cure Marine is the people's Precure. A vote for Cure Marine is a vote for no homework. Do you wanna do your homework, GAF?

P.S. Cure March is a hack. I heard she was bribing high-elected officials into office.

Jintor

I think the light pole bit was when Toradora became more than generic tsundere romcom to me. That bit is so good. It's so... I don't know... carthartic.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Even the villains can't provide a narrative because the selfish reasons suck that much.
The kid isn't the villain though?
The reasons are supposed to be petty, and the villains drum them up into monsters right before the victims are about to throw it away! That actually makes them more powerful and scarier than people that just make everyone emo for a few minutes.
The reason we don't spend much time on the villains right now is probably so that we could learn Mana and Rikka a bit more and why we should care about them, rather than generic Precure conflict #10.

Teekyuu! - The Entire Series

Alright. If a youtube poop made a youtube poop and that youtube poop made a youtube poop and that youtube poop made a youtube poop and that youtube poop made an anime, and that anime made a youtube poop, this is the youtube poop you would see!

That was new. This is an anime experience that every anime fan should see.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Isnt Usagi Drop getting a second season? Maybe.....

Don't joke about things like that. There is no second half to Usagi Drop.

I think the light pole bit was when Toradora became more than generic tsundere romcom to me. That bit is so good. It's so... I don't know... carthartic.

Wasn't it? I loved that scene so much.

I still can't stop thinking about the damn show. I just woke up from a nap with the first ED playing in my head. And I think I might have dreamt about it again too, but that part's kinda fuzzy.

Why is this still happening. ;_;

Jintor

You're my bro Cain. I'm listening to the OST and browsing TV Tropes articles about it. This'll wear off in a few days but for now I'll revel in it.

I went and bought more Toradora manga before I went out drinking, actually...

(Apparently /a/ hates it, or did at some point)

toradora1237332791886.png

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You're my bro Cain. I'm listening to the OST and browsing TV Tropes articles about it. This'll wear off in a few days but for now I'll revel in it.

Romcoms are inherently divisive because certain people have a hard time taking them seriously. Understandable really.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5697/toradora1237332791886.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh shit, ahahahaha.

And you know what? I think you have the right idea. If it's not going to go away, might as well revel in it. OST/TV Tropes sounds like a good start. I actually wonder why the hell I haven't been to the TV Tropes page yet anyway. Usually one of the first things I do when I finish a series is go to it's tropes page. Huh.

EDIT: Shit, I forgot, there's still the OVA episode of [B]Toradora[/B] I could watch too. Hmm...

Novid

Banned
Hataraki Man 6

OMG UUUUGH

wonzo was right. Watching this was freaking painful. At one point I was actually grinding my teeth in anger.

Geez. I need some Polar Bear's Café to relax.

the writers did his job here. the episode wasnt horrible but it infurated people. he excuited his plan pefectly. Cant say the same for other series that tried to do the same thing.

A good upscale would be something like Baccano! which still looks significantly better than the DVDs because it's a high-bitrate copy without all the artifacts present on the DVD.

Haibane Renmei, unfortunately, was sent to edge enhancement hell, which means all the linework looks like smudged garbage now.
Much thanks for the info.
Persona 4 The Animation 6-9

Nope, still not seeing what's bad about this show (other than the ugliness, obviously).
Nothing wrong considering the source material . i honnestly don't know how they could have adapted the events of the game better.
Isnt Usagi Drop getting a second season? Maybe.....
But the ending was perfect ..there is no need to add more

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The kid isn't the villain though?
The reasons are supposed to be petty, and the villains drum them up into monsters right before the victims are about to throw it away! That actually makes them more powerful and scarier than people that just make everyone emo for a few minutes.

I don't see how a selfish monster is more scarrier or powerful than the ones in Smile considering they came to creation from the despair of multiple people.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
the writers did his job here. the episode wasnt horrible but it infurated people. he excuited his plan pefectly. Cant say the same for other series that tried to do the same thing.

You're absolutely right, haha. He basically trolled us (going by the concept's definition).

Theonik

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 28
iK6opANOhxVaw.png

That can't possibly be safe.
Dat betrayalton.
Fucking Phill. Poor Zenoa too, I liked that guy.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 29
This Kihel/Diana business is getting convoluted pretty fast.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 30
ighLNyUJXy5dT.png

Well I suppose that's one way to obtain closure
I'm not sure I am a fan of those developments.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 31
io9Gc4t8eYRil.png
ipWQKUagnZp84.png

Because Harry Ord
Agrippa Maintainer is making no sense. Also
Phill needs a few teeth knocked out of him.
Friggin' space hippies. Also Loran is a perv.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wasn't it? I loved that scene so much.

I still can't stop thinking about the damn show. I just woke up from a nap with the first ED playing in my head. And I think I might have dreamt about it again too, but that part's kinda fuzzy.

Why is this still happening. ;_;

toradora1237332791886.png

Fucking hell, you people are going to make me give ToraDora another shot... :-/

Nah man, it's a genre shift, this is actually Highschool of the Dead 2.

... I'm okay with that. :p. though I love TM as is too.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 28

Dat betrayalton.
Fucking Phill. Poor Zenoa too, I liked that guy.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 29

This Kihel/Diana business is getting convoluted pretty fast.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 30

I'm not sure I am a fan of those developments.

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 31

Agrippa Maintainer is making no sense. Also
Phill needs a few teeth knocked out of him.
Friggin' space hippies. Also Loran is a perv.

God damn those glasses =D

/XX/

I wouldn't say so, but I think the fame of it and the 'spam' of a certain image caused a disdain for the series by some from then on. The end of the series was divisive, but many times pretty civil discussion arose (as it usually happens anyway, on other cases), not just hate:

http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/15430433 said:

Argh! Now I can't see that image without thinking on Taiga!!NmmO3dBe2w7 role-playing and diverting attention towards "herself"... also, the original edit of that image said "TORADORA IS THE GREATEST LOVE STORY EVER TOLD" which was the funny ('trollbait') remark that could spark heated discussions, and not "TORADORA IS A GOOD ANIME".

sonicmj1

The thing is, I can't tell if the episode was written with the intent to be that infuriating. If you accept the premise that some assholes are going to be raging misogynists in the workplace, this isn't that different from any other episode. The structure is exactly the same. The problem represented by Dojima here isn't treated any differently from, say, Shinji's troubles getting along at the construction site. It's just one of those things that women are expected to deal with.

Fundamentally, it's a product of cultural differences. You can see similar sorts of casual sexism in American works from the 50s or earlier. I'm less pissed that he's doing it, and more pissed that it isn't being called out as a significant problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom