• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The anime thread's been here for ages and no one cares about what goes on in it anymore. Unfamiliarity breeds curiosity, and considering that single-show OTs are traditionally outside of the scope of Community threads, people will gawk and it will turn into a carnival freakshow in short order.

I guess I'm weak. If I was a brony, I just straight-up couldn't be on GAF because the site's neverending circlejerk of hate for MLP is not something that I could tolerate as part of my everyday internet experience. I'm not ashamed, but I like reading GAF and I'd prefer to keep it readable.

Sure, they might be curious to look around at it, but you won't see many if at all come in to antagonize you. Just look at the start of the K-ON! thread, you don't need to worry about that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
65 episode syndication mark.

Well that's some shit. I don't follow western animation that much, but is this the main reason for successful shows to be cut down in their prime? I couldn't bear to fall in love with anything ever again after Samurai Jack was killed just for not having a profitable toy line.

Uncomfortable? More like working to stamp it out.

Also,
sudden ascension to godhood

Ah, yeah, I saw about the C&D. Dick move.

Jex

[Xam'd] Rewatch 1-3

Was I too harsh on the show? It's much better than I remember it, although I was highly impressed the first time with the intro episodes. The animation so far really has been stellar, it's been exceptionally fluid and full of life. It utilizes a lot of concepts from Eureka 7 but it feels more integrated into the lore. The humanform weapons seem a more natural fit than the Coralians and the skyships have this retro feel to them that is very Ghibli. The whole show really feels like something Ghibli would do, it especially has a lot of elements from Laputa (but so did E7). The characters are all pretty likable and interesting so far.

I'm really wondering if this is the type of show that benefits from a rewatch. It's quite possible I wanted it to be something it wasn't. I remember the pacing was broken and some of the plot threads didn't go anywhere and the last few episodes were a clusterfuck of bad writing. That said, the early episodes really are pretty spectacular.

Hey, just because it starts well doesn't mean that it doesn't become a total mess later on. Don't be fooled.

Branduil

People are uncomfortable with Bronies because a segment of their population contains all the negative traits that have thus far been mostly confined to anime fans and the like.

I can understand the discomfort because I share it to some degree, but it's not fair to paint everybody in a fandom with the same brush, and I don't feel uncomfortable having an anime avatar because if it causes people to dismiss my posts it's their problem, not mine.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ah, yeah, I saw about the C&D. Dick move.
It's actually just one example of what they've been up to lately.

Personally, I'm not really upset. Never was too invested in the first place and figured things would turn downhill at some point anyway. Well, having a fighting game to troll people with would have been nice, but there are others!

Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun 06

bVZVQiA.jpg
HV8SYjV.jpg

Looks like a new arc or whatever starts now. Not too into the mystery or whatever this time, but at least this does bring potential backstory for another character.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
this list is not bad even if you've made some mistakes ..

Still you should see more precure shows before you try a ranking.

All of the Yes 5 characters would just go between Melody and Muse so it's really just an issue of where to put Nagisa and Honoka.

Well, that's where the bit I spoiler tagged comes in.

Oh, so you think that that spoiler is going to piss off the fans? Wasn't sure why it was an issue without context.

DiGiKerot

Ranking time!!!

Marine
Peace
Sunshine
March
Blossom
Moonlight
Sunny
Happy
Sword
Heart
Rhythm
Melody
Muse
Reika

Marine >> Other Precure.

Is your avatar from the bit where
she asks the Desertrians if they can trash the High School whilst they're doing their Down With Homework thing?

Dead

well not really...yet
[Xam'd] Rewatch 1-3

ibl4TmC2ULjyYA.gif
iba2rlxHVC0l61.gif

Was I too harsh on the show? It's much better than I remember it, although I was highly impressed the first time with the intro episodes. The animation so far really has been stellar, it's been exceptionally fluid and full of life. It utilizes a lot of concepts from Eureka 7 but it feels more integrated into the lore. The humanform weapons seem a more natural fit than the Coralians and the skyships have this retro feel to them that is very Ghibli. The whole show really feels like something Ghibli would do, it especially has a lot of elements from Laputa (but so did E7). The characters are all pretty likable and interesting so far.

I'm really wondering if this is the type of show that benefits from a rewatch. It's quite possible I wanted it to be something it wasn't. I remember the pacing was broken and some of the plot threads didn't go anywhere and the last few episodes were a clusterfuck of bad writing. That said, the early episodes really are pretty spectacular.
Like I said before, its a good show :p

Plot/lore elements become too convoluted/messy towards the end, but what the show does right is enough to put it ahead of a lot of other stuff. Of course the animation, music and designs, but a lot of the character stuff is really good, particularly the adult cast. Ive said it before, but taking each episode on an individual level, most of them are good, great or outstanding, but the whole package suffers due to plot issues later in the show.

Apparently the director wrote and released two novels based on the show. I wonder if he clarifies a lot of the plot elements in them...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
At the rate I watch anime episodes (when I'm busy anyways), it's going to be a while before I can share my post-series Toradora impressions :(

Great anime, or greatest anime?
At the very least, great.
That episode was just pure fun all the way through, definitely one of the best episodes in the series.
Yeah, the best part of it was it never really ever got serious like the other episodes tended to do a bit when they focus on a character. All fun here.
Nope, that's next episode.
But it looks like it focuses on the twins. I don't see how that can be possibly be true. I guess I'll have to see for myself.

wonzo

Banned
Love Live! 6

lovelive6.jpg

It was all well and good until the CG monster hit at the end of the episode. I don't know why but there's something about the mix between 2D animation and the 3D dancing that just exudes wahjah. I'll have to study this show further to get to the bottom of this pressing matter.

Branduil

So there is bad upscales and good upscales ? and HR is an exemple of a bad upscale then.

The other alternative would be to "remaster" like what sunrise did with gundam seed ?

A good upscale would be something like Baccano! which still looks significantly better than the DVDs because it's a high-bitrate copy without all the artifacts present on the DVD.

Haibane Renmei, unfortunately, was sent to edge enhancement hell, which means all the linework looks like smudged garbage now.

Hunter x hunter latest

that op hunter license test lol. Gotta love how they actually confirm shit before progressing. Few animus ever do that.

Too many cards and nonsense going on, but it seems like some shit might happen soon or ... not?

DiGiKerot

A good upscale would be something like Baccano! which still looks significantly better than the DVDs because it's a high-bitrate copy without all the artifacts present on the DVD.

Haibane Renmei, unfortunately, was sent to edge enhancement hell, which means all the linework looks like smudged garbage now.

I forget, was Haibane Renmei a QTec upscale? It's always a little too overly aggressive, but their work tends to be somewhat of a mixed bag - some of it turned out fine, some of it rather less so...

DiGiKerot

Yep it's QTec.

Huh. I didn't think the upscaled episodes from the Haruhi BD set looked too bad back when I watched them, but yeah, QTec is rarely a great sign, particularly for something that was deliberately a bit soft looking like Haibane Renmei was. That one was never going to turn out well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Okay AnimeGAF, I want some help.

I don't know what it is, but real comedy in anime is surprisingly scarce. I have never seen an anime that always has something funny to throw at you all the time.

Is there any kind of anime out there that takes its hands of the reigns and just throws humour at you whenever it can? Because I'm getting really sick and tired of anime being just Adventure/Romance/Horror.

Basically what I'm asking is that I'm looking for anime's equivalent to The Simpsons. Does an anime like that exist? I'd really love to know.
Astro Fighter Sunred

Branduil

Huh. I didn't think the upscaled episodes from the Haruhi BD set looked too bad back when I watched them, but yeah, QTec is rarely a great sign, particularly for something that was deliberately a bit soft looking like Haibane Renmei was. That one was never going to turn out well.

Unfortunately like all early digital anime Haibane Renmei will just never look as good as it should :(

Still that's no excuse for crap upscales.

wonzo

Banned
Hataraki Man 6

Jesus Christ, I honestly can't remember the last time an episode has been so infuriating. The amount of entrenched misogyny on display in this episode is both incredibly frustrating and so utterly depressing it makes you want to scream. The fact that Yumi, soon to be wed and one of the only four female editor's out of an entire forty has to put on this girly persona to effectively do her job is just about the single worst part of it. This show really knows how to push just the right buttons. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some stress balls to murder.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well as stand alone series I don't think it was that good but as a fan of Persona games I definitely got my fix out of it.

Well, the game's plot is really boring. I'm watching it as a fan of the game, and I probably wouldn't if I hadn't played it beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom