• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

The Reverse Thieves podcast a.k.a The Speakeasy did an episode which featured guest host Anime World Order's Daryl Surat. You can find it here.

Rather than discuss a specific series or creator they instead have a wide ranging discussion about media consumption. The two major topics are: watching a series week by week vs. marathoning a series and watching alone vs. watching in a group. Unsurprisingly the conclusion they reach is that certain works are best suited to certain consumption strategies. We're all pretty lucky to be able to live at a time when we have a huge variety of choices when it comes to media consumption, we aren't just tied down to watching something when it airs.

One particularly interesting discussion revolved around the best way to consume anime online with others. Daryl brought a certain popular forum's method of choosing an anime to watch and then having everyone watch an episode of that series on a specific day of the week every week which means that everyone can discuss it at the same time. They describe it as being like an anime bookclub in that it gives people the chance to all consume and then reflect upon the work in a group setting, which seems to be the ideal as long as you have like minded individuals taking part. I'm happy to participate in our un-official Backlog Watches which basically take this exact format. I really think it's the best way to consume an older series because it means that you aren't just blogging to yourself, you're engaging in a conversation with other's who might pick stuff up that you missed and have ideas that you hadn't considered.

Now, for those who find such debates to be dry, navel-gazing affairs then this episode won't be to your liking. However, if you enjoy reflecting on media consumption habits and find that you enjoy watching certain works in a certain manner than perhaps you'll enjoy the discussion.

That sounds like an interesting listen. I know it has been brought up here time-to-time. From the synopsis you've given, it seems they've come to the same conclusion as I have about marathon vs. week-to-week. It depends on the work. And simply because I find something a better experience to marathon doesn't mean I think it's a better show than one I'd recommend to watch week-by-week. It's simply different strokes for different shows.

The positives behind the "anime bookclub" approach to backlogs is on-point as well. It's great to have a guaranteed read each weekday on a different perspective towards older shows, (noted that it's a decently substantive write-up, of course). Heck, even if the outcome of the reviewed episode is similar to your own, it's helpful to read a different take on it. There are sometimes shows that seem difficult to engage with for long spans, like Windy Tales. But seeing sonicmj1 and Brazil's stating contrasting appreciation and comparisons to its direction is just as insightful.

Cwarrior

No. The Kill Bill anime sequence was NOT rotoscoped. People do claim this from time to time, but it simply isn't true. The art style and the process of rotoscoping are totally different things. It's the same with the Animatrix short Kid's Story. People like to claim that was rotoscoped too, but it's bullshit.

My bad that's what I get for listening to youtube video's about anime fans talking about animation.

BAKUMATSU GIJINDEN ROMAN 6

Well Roman and Magaoichi make a good team. Unfortunately dull antics ruined the potential for how enjoyable it could have really been, oh well.

At the halfway mark of the season, it is, personally, still down in the worst three full anime of the season.

duckroll

Btw, speaking of rotoscoping, I think I'm finally going to be able to watch One Piece Film Z next week! The opening sequence is apparently rotoscoped (the credits specifically listed the animator as "rotoscope animator"), although I have no idea what it actually shows. Should be... interesting. Lol.

Kagami

I came so close to buying this earlier today. It was so expensive, but shipping from Japan is just as expensive, haha.

Still, it was nice, looking at it in the store :|
I pondered getting this back when it came out. I can't remember why I decided not to; I guess it just didn't haven enough artists I cared about in it.
But now you've got me interested again haha.

wonzo

Banned
Btw, speaking of rotoscoping, I think I'm finally going to be able to watch One Piece Film Z next week! The opening sequence is apparently rotoscoped (the credits specifically listed the animator as "rotoscope animator"), although I have no idea what it actually shows. Should be... interesting. Lol.
rotoscoped stretch armstrong toys

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Maybe they attached a weight at the end of a rubber band.

Narag

Gundam 0083 9

Haman scene just felt like blatant fanwank but I guess might be necessary to tie works together. Kou suddenly being an ace is some bullshit. Gato looks like they wanted desperately to use Char himself this ep.
Recent eps and the not shown character development gives everything past the second episode a sense you could randomly select 11 eps from a tv series' remaining 47 and you'd have this OVA.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure! 11

Policeman x Witch, calling it here!

I would like bugs too if they were friendly and look like they are in an anime.
AVQhVLA.jpg
Adorable.

Articalys

So in the same article which claimed Discotek had licensed Kill Me Baby (later refuted by the company themselves), they claim that Sentai is doing a full dub of the series.

I'm not putting much faith in this, especially since the magazine has shown to mess up once already on this same issue. Plus, Sentai usually announces things far ahead of time.

Articalys

Interesting. The next Ghibli BDs to make it to the US might be Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro, according to some product listings on Amazon and Rakuten.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Interesting. The next Ghibli BDs to make it to the US might be Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro, according to some product listings on Amazon and Rakuten.
Only Yesterday wheeeeeeeeeeeen.

Some time in the ancient past, around nine months ago, I made a comment that once I moved into my new apartment I was planning on putting up those K-ON!! cloth posters that come with the BDs, and firehawk told me to post pics. I can't even find those posts now; for all I know maybe it was on IRC.

Anyway, for the sake of the AOTY voting in January I finally watched the rest of season 2 (which upgraded my opinion of the series from "great" to "it's raining") and then the movie (also fantastic - AOTY 2012), so I was in a mood to get this done. It was a bit time-consuming because they come folded in small boxes the same size as the BD cases, so you need to steam the wrinkles out of them.

[url]http://i5.minus.com/io4iq4Qt8aDnU.jpg[/url] [url]http://i5.minus.com/ic2Aufb8rmzqN.jpg[/url] [url]http://i6.minus.com/iwjjqYRNCE2Wa.jpg[/url]

I love you man. lol

Seeing this picture, I'm reminded of how complete this arc is (I'll just say you should keep this shot in mind when you reach the end.

Sorachi is god, etc.

Haganai NEXT 5

I think it's more that getting the reference is part of the fun.
If you spell it out straight, it's less amusing.

What Mandoric said.
I can barely remember the episode, but most of the time the references are... less egregious. Like, Hayate had the good grace to pretend to bleep out the references because they were pretending to be afraid of copyright or whatever. I mean, she might as well have said, "Mayo Chiki, available now on BD and DVD." lol

Haha, yeah it's shameless but I still enjoy the nerd humor in stuff like Haganai and Steins;Gate.
Haganai's had 2ch memes and manga memes since ep 1 of the first series, including this episode 5 of season 2; a lot of it doesn't really get through in English so it's actually worse than you're thinking haha.
E.g. when Rika says
she's going to go "enjoy the afterglow" (Funi subs), the Japanese phrase she uses is "sage time" (賢者タイム), net slang for the period of time after masturbation/sex when sexual desire isn't clouding your mind/decisions so you have the wisdom of a sage.
Huh. I wonder how I would feel if people started just making Internet memes on a television show.
Like, if two guys hugged each other, one of the guys would have to say, "I know that feel bro". Or if someone is mad at another character, that character has to put on a pair of sunglasses and say "Deal with it."

I guess I'm glad I don't know 2ch memes, because I'll never know if that would annoy me or not. lol

(That said, "sage time" is hilarious and I want to start using it.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So in the same article which claimed Discotek had licensed Kill Me Baby (later refuted by the company themselves), they claim that Sentai is doing a full dub of the series.

I'm not putting much faith in this, especially since the magazine has shown to mess up once already on this same issue. Plus, Sentai usually announces things far ahead of time.

Waste of time. Just sub and release.

Mature

The best thing about wiki articles is you can always edit them!

Most likely thanks to misguided fears of ~*~reverse importation~*~.
Seriously? This is a "business practice"?
I don't care what Ghibli films get BD'd over here I just want it to happen. But since I love Howl's and haven't seen Totoro since I was a kid, this works out swimmingly.

jbug617

Banned
Sakurasou No Pet Na Kanojo 18

Well I hope the drama is over for Jin and Misaka. Seems like the rest of the season might be about
Sorata's game, the three way relationship and ways to save Sakurasou.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What does AnimeGAF think of A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun?

What does AnimeGAF think of A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun?

They hate the first one and are split on the second. I personally enjoy Index, though it does have the most intolerable titular character of all time. Fortunately, she isn't the main character and just disappears when real stuff happens.

zeroshiki

Index (the character) is terrible. Anytime she is on screen is the worst part of any episode. Index (the series) has great science parts but shitty magic parts. You'll know when you watch it. Railgun is basically just the science part of Index without dudes.

I liked index, really fun anime and the main character, touma, as well as the best antagonist, accelerator are awesome. Like zeroshiki said, the character index is awful. Touma also gives really good speeches and the magic in the series is really well done. The op, psi missing, is extremely good. Excellent durb.

Havent seen railgun yet.

Steroyd

They hate the first one and are split on the second. I personally enjoy Index, though it does have the most intolerable titular character of all time. Fortunately, she isn't the main character and just disappears when real stuff happens.

I wouldn't say that.

In general it's the science parts of Index is good to great, the church parts are the shittiest shit known to shit.

In season 1 it's pretty much split 50/50 science and religion, season 2 is more 30/70 split.

Railgun is 100% science and 0% Index, which makes it better to watch overall (providing you don't have an aversion to an all girl cast) that said the high points in Railgun aren't as good as Index.

Sazae-san Episode 6,299 or "A Safe Episode"

This episode had Katsuo get a safe somehow. A demonstration of opening this safe involves the dark arts and memorising the secret combination.
It's probably the current episode number of Sazae-san
. Tamao really wants to know how to open this safe, and he tries using the dark arts. Although this is ineffective, the safe doesn't open and Tamao isn't happy.

Meanwhile, Katsuo is obtaining lots of money from everyone for some reason. He's putting it all in the safe I assume. This makes Sazae ask Katsuo if he can buy her some new clothes, even though she goes through several costume changes an episode!

Tamao eventually opens the safe and everyone is waiting to find out how he opened it. He then turns into a wizard and ends the episode.

I haven't actually mentioned this yet but I love the music in this show. It's so cheerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom