• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

The Reverse Thieves podcast a.k.a The Speakeasy did an episode which featured guest host Anime World Order's Daryl Surat. You can find it here.

Rather than discuss a specific series or creator they instead have a wide ranging discussion about media consumption. The two major topics are: watching a series week by week vs. marathoning a series and watching alone vs. watching in a group. Unsurprisingly the conclusion they reach is that certain works are best suited to certain consumption strategies. We're all pretty lucky to be able to live at a time when we have a huge variety of choices when it comes to media consumption, we aren't just tied down to watching something when it airs.

One particularly interesting discussion revolved around the best way to consume anime online with others. Daryl brought a certain popular forum's method of choosing an anime to watch and then having everyone watch an episode of that series on a specific day of the week every week which means that everyone can discuss it at the same time. They describe it as being like an anime bookclub in that it gives people the chance to all consume and then reflect upon the work in a group setting, which seems to be the ideal as long as you have like minded individuals taking part. I'm happy to participate in our un-official Backlog Watches which basically take this exact format. I really think it's the best way to consume an older series because it means that you aren't just blogging to yourself, you're engaging in a conversation with other's who might pick stuff up that you missed and have ideas that you hadn't considered.

Now, for those who find such debates to be dry, navel-gazing affairs then this episode won't be to your liking. However, if you enjoy reflecting on media consumption habits and find that you enjoy watching certain works in a certain manner than perhaps you'll enjoy the discussion.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sazae-san Episode 5,991 or "Kapuru picking the right benchi"

This episode had couples, benches and why those benches are so important to a good relationship. Katsuo wanted to get in on the couple on bench craze that another couple had been doing so he enlisted the help of a girl called Hanako, who conveniently has a crush on him.

Benches are very important for meeting up with people so they have to feel right. Katsuo and Hanako would put their hands on the bench to make sure the bench is safe for sitting and talking about love.

This show sounds amazing.

Jex

duckroll

Just to let you know that's the same technique used in Kill bill vol 1 for the anime scene, they used live actor then rotoscoped into animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImyntxVxZyE

No. The Kill Bill anime sequence was NOT rotoscoped. People do claim this from time to time, but it simply isn't true. The art style and the process of rotoscoping are totally different things. It's the same with the Animatrix short Kid's Story. People like to claim that was rotoscoped too, but it's bullshit.

Cwarrior always calling out duckroll these days.

Except he's wrong.

wonzo

Banned
Cwarrior always calling out duckroll these days.
Except that he didn't. The only thing I can find is an article on CGSociety that says they used some reference footage from the movie "Snatch" and Tarantino himself acted out some of the characters beforehand but that's it. People always gotta undermine Ohira. :(

Naruto SD 45
tumblr_mi4fshpI2O1qgb3d4o1_500.gif

Valentines Day episode was amazing, Sasuke with his experience with Naruto penning the book on A Boys Guide to Valentines day, and then the chocolate skit and cool poses. Really good.

duckroll

It's really an insult to good character animators who are actually able to use reference to do solid key animation by calling their work rotoscoping. :(

cajunator

Banned
As a former Louisianian, you'd think I'd care a bit more about Mardi Gras. But I never went anywhere near New Orleans. I recall my Dad saying that he hated N.O. for some reason. :lol

I dont live in NOLA. Mardi Gras happens all across the state.
Honestly stay away from NOLA during mardi gras. its dangerous. Much safer parades in my city and the smaller towns around.

Cwarrior

It's really an insult to good character animators who are actually able to use reference to do solid key animation by calling their work rotoscoping. :(

People many times confuse "using visual reference" with "rotoscope". :(

No they didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rotoscoped_works

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Chapter Three: The Origin of O-Ren uses a combination of rotoscoping and traditional animation)

they used live action.

Theonik

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 45
i6oOcSQTGLxuK.png

Those Pajamas
Betrayaltons everywhere. Also,
SHIIIIINIIIIING FIIIIIINGEEEEER
This is going to be fun.

I know this may sound a little counter-intuitive but I found it extremely liberating to accept that most people in ∀ Gundam, besides like Loran, are slightly/totally bonkers. It's a crazy show made up of crazy characters doing crazy things and that's often where the entertainment comes from.

Also, you're pretty close to the end now. Good luck.
Oh don't get me wrong the character's craziness usually works to the shows favour, but you often wonder when the show is trying to be serious or dramatic how everything is THEIR fault. Except for Diana. Diana is cool.

duckroll

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/kill_bill_anime_sequences

There were 4 sequences in all, and the production period was 1 year. Those 4 sequences would've been extremely difficult to make in live action. Even if it had been possible, it would've taken tremendous amount of budget and work."

The visual style of the anime sequences referenced the old Japanese animation styles (particularly Kazuto Nakozawa's) from the 80's as Tarantino apparantly respects the animation style of the generation.

Plz. Try harder Cwarrior.

jbug617

Banned
Funimation releases for May

Darker Than Black: Season 2 Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
My Bride is a Mermaid: Complete Collection (S.A.V.E. Edition)
One Piece: Season 4, Part 5
Sekirei: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 1 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 2 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Toriko, Part 4

Also Discotek is saying Lovely Complex is going to be $50 and comes on 4 DVDs.

Also according to a magazine scan, Sentai is licensing Kill Me Baby with a ENG Dub.

Kazzy

Rather than discuss a specific series or creator they instead have a wide ranging discussion about media consumption. The two major topics are: watching a series week by week vs. marathoning a series and watching alone vs. watching in a group. Unsurprisingly the conclusion they reach is that certain works are best suited to certain consumption strategies. We're all pretty lucky to be able to live at a time when we have a huge variety of choices when it comes to media consumption, we aren't just tied down to watching something when it airs.

I definitely prefer to marathon a series, and seeing as I almost exclusively watch older shows, it's certainly conducive to my habits. That said, there are times when I'd prefer to be a bigger part of the general deluge, that is this thread. So maybe next time I'll join the organized backlog watch, and actually watch something!

Kagami

Looking at the Gargantia stuff, I was wondering, do the Japanese (both fans and studios) care about CG in their shows? I was just curious whether there had been arguments inside the industry about not only the usage of CG but also the quality. I could understand the validity of CG if they handled it well but surely even the animators must know how it sticks out at times.
Nico streams fill with "CGwwww" when vehicles look jarringly out of place.

Sazae-san Episode 5,710 or "The boy who cried haiii~"

Starting this episode off is Katuso dreaming about making a nice flower bed. Turns out that flower bed was actually a pit-trap for Sazae. That scamp!

The main portion of the episode is about Ikura a two year old boy who only says hai~. Katsuo wants to play grown-up looking after Ikura and Tamao, serving them milk and the like. When Namihei finds out that Katsuo had been doing this, he scalded him but was silenced by Ikura, who defeated him by covering him up with a cushion.

I have no idea what the crate of beer was for. It just seemed like a good picture.

This show sounds amazing.

It is amazing. It's actually better that it's unsubbed because everything is up to interpretation, unless you know Japanese ;)

What is Kagami talking about? Link is not working for me at all.

Its a list of reasons to
Regarding localized releases vs. buying Japanese, I've collected this list over the years.

A localized release is never coming out at all.
It’s been announced, but you don’t want to wait that long.
The localized release is DVD only, despite having a BD release in Japan.
The TV series itself has a localized release, but not the OVAs.
Season 1 got a localized release, but it didn’t sell so season 2 isn’t coming out.
Foreign releases of concerts and special event videos virtually never come out.
The bonus disc that can only be ordered if you collect the coupons included in each volume of the Japanese TV series release isn't getting a foreign release.
OP, ED, or insert songs have been removed/changed.
Are all of those Romanized credits actually correct? Are they the right credits for each individual episode?
They couldn’t get a creditless copy of the ending animation, so they removed it entirely and replaced it with a still image to run the English credits over.
They couldn’t get a creditless copy of the opening animation, so they blurred out the Japanese credits and placed English credits over the blurry mess.
They added unskippable ads/trailers to the start of the disc.
The OP animation video quality at the beginning of each episode looks like garbage because of some problem introduced when putting English credits on it. (The credtiless version elsewhere on the disc looks fine.)
The video was converted from interlaced to progressive to pack more episodes per disc, and they screwed up the de-interlacing.
It’s the TV broadcast version instead of the home video version.
It’s upscaled from SD masters despite HD masters existing.
The audio commentary tracks aren’t included.
The audio is in lossy Dolby Digital, while the Japanese release has 24bit lossless.
The bonus animated shorts aren’t included.
The character song and drama CDs aren’t included.
The booklets containing exclusive short-stories written by the original novel author aren’t included.
The booklets are included, but only in translated form, so you don’t get to read the original Japanese.
The cast interview video isn’t included.
The live event footage isn’t included.
When a Japanese audio track is playing, English subtitles are forced on and can’t be turned off.
The Japanese audio isn't included at all.
A recap episode is missing because it would "cost too much" to include it.

Metrotab

Banned
I definitely prefer to marathon a series, and seeing as I almost exclusively watch older shows, it's certainly conducive to my habits. That said, there are times when I feel like I'd prefer to be a bigger part of the general deluge of this thread. So maybe next time I'll join the organized backlog watch, and actually watch something!

I can definitely recommend it. I always enjoy seeing other people's perspectives on episodes, especially when the selected shows aren't the standard type of anime seasons are filled with.

cajunator

Banned
Funimation releases for May

Darker Than Black: Season 2 Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
My Bride is a Mermaid: Complete Collection (S.A.V.E. Edition)
One Piece: Season 4, Part 5
Sekirei: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 1 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 2 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Toriko, Part 4

Also Discotek is saying Lovely Complex is going to be $50 and comes on 4 DVDs.

Also according to a magazine scan, Sentai is licensing Kill Me Baby with a ENG Dub.

The only part that matters.

Its a list of reasons to

For what show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom