• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you spoil me some things about the anime with this post ?

1357776756052.gif

Dresden

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's no harm mentioning it again. The Aku no Hana anime site updated recently with some really minor stuff. First of all, there will be two early screenings for episode 1 at different venues towards the end of March. The interesting thing is that the guests at one of these venues will be the as-yet-unannounced "live action cast", while the guests at the other venue is the voice cast which has already been announced. The other update is that in the Staff section of the site, they have listed a company called Decode under "live action production".

As mentioned before, for this anime they're doing a full scale rotoscope technique. The fact that there will be a live action cast that they're actually acknowledging in the promotional efforts, and a company contracted to actually help produce the live action basis for the show, would mean that this anime is probably going to be really, really different from pretty much anything else out there. They're filming 100% of the show in live action, and then rotoscoping it into animation. As such, I wonder if the show would even require storyboards. It's going to be weiiiiiiiiiird.

Interesting times.

Jex

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's no harm mentioning it again. The Aku no Hana anime site updated recently with some really minor stuff. First of all, there will be two early screenings for episode 1 at different venues towards the end of March. The interesting thing is that the guests at one of these venues will be the as-yet-unannounced "live action cast", while the guests at the other venue is the voice cast which has already been announced. The other update is that in the Staff section of the site, they have listed a company called Decode under "live action production".

As mentioned before, for this anime they're doing a full scale rotoscope technique. The fact that there will be a live action cast that they're actually acknowledging in the promotional efforts, and a company contracted to actually help produce the live action basis for the show, would mean that this anime is probably going to be really, really different from pretty much anything else out there. They're filming 100% of the show in live action, and then rotoscoping it into animation. As such, I wonder if the show would even require storyboards. It's going to be weiiiiiiiiiird.

So it's going to be like a Scanner Darkly, which I know you still haven't seen!

Still, as I mentioned before, I find this entire process a little odd. If you're going to film in live action anyway why even make it into an animation!

On the "Talk Operation" internet show that streams on Niconico after the anime, the VAs said that the remaining episodes will share a single ending song.

So 6 endings songs for this show then ? i guess we'll have the usual singles releases and the various mixes and special editions afterwards

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Some time in the ancient past, around nine months ago, I made a comment that once I moved into my new apartment I was planning on putting up those K-ON!! cloth posters that come with the BDs, and firehawk told me to post pics. I can't even find those posts now; for all I know maybe it was on IRC.

Anyway, for the sake of the AOTY voting in January I finally watched the rest of season 2 (which upgraded my opinion of the series from "great" to "it's raining") and then the movie (also fantastic - AOTY 2012), so I was in a mood to get this done. It was a bit time-consuming because they come folded in small boxes the same size as the BD cases, so you need to steam the wrinkles out of them.

Should've saved your favorite for the ceiling above your bed.

This stuff at least ensures that, even if the anime is bad, it'll be worth watching due to its uniqueness.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's going to look terrible or terrible depending on how closely they trace the actors.

duckroll

So it's going to be like a Scanner Darkly, which I know you still haven't seen!

Still, as I mentioned before, I find this entire process a little odd. If you're going to film in live action anyway why even make it into an animation!

I agree it's extremely... odd, but I can think of a few reasons why it isn't an actual live action series:

- This way the actors don't have to look like the characters
- They don't actually need a "set" since the backgrounds would be created entirely in post-production, and everything can be filmed in empty rooms
- The actors don't have to sound like they want the characters to sound anyway, since there's a voice cast

But yet... even with those points, it does sound incredibly... complicated to get an end result which might not be desired. So many hoops for something which might look awkward and bad!

It's going to look terrible or terrible depending on how closely they trace the actors.

That's another odd thing. The show has an actual character designer, who is an animator. Which means they're probably not going to trace the actors too closely... unless the designs are based on the live action cast. Either way. Weiiiiiird.

Branduil

This doesn't sound promising.

Aku no Hana going Scanner Darkly? That's weird as hell and probably not the best series to try something like that with.

Shin Getter Robo 3

Benkei seems like a cool guy.

Sounds like a train wreck in the making. Which is absolutely perfect. Can't wait!

Haly

That's another odd thing. The show has an actual character designer, who is an animator. Which means they're probably not going to trace the actors too closely... unless the designs are based on the live action cast. Either way. Weiiiiiird.

Next Stop: Uncanny Valley

duckroll

Oh, and don't forget that AnimeGAF's favorite art studio is doing the backgrounds and art direction for Aku no Hana - Studio Pablo! They've mentioned a few times on their blog that they've been doing location scouting and taking reference photos for the backgrounds in the show, but they haven't been allowed to share anything yet.

PsionBolt

Sakurasou 18

I would have watched this sooner if I had known that it featured Kirito getting beat up. Kind of a boring episode outside of that though. At least we might be finally free of the sempais.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Since everyone is posting gif replies, I'll just say that I think they look lovely. Nice dakimakura (since my wife won't let me have one).

Should've saved your favorite for the ceiling above your bed.

But that would break the illusion. If you follow the girls from right to left they are each removing the next piece of clothing to get down to the swimsuit. It's almost like each step, in an animation (with some frames missing in between).

cajunator

Banned
Some time in the ancient past, around nine months ago, I made a comment that once I moved into my new apartment I was planning on putting up those K-ON!! cloth posters that come with the BDs, and firehawk told me to post pics. I can't even find those posts now; for all I know maybe it was on IRC.

Anyway, for the sake of the AOTY voting in January I finally watched the rest of season 2 (which upgraded my opinion of the series from "great" to "it's raining") and then the movie (also fantastic - AOTY 2012), so I was in a mood to get this done. It was a bit time-consuming because they come folded in small boxes the same size as the BD cases, so you need to steam the wrinkles out of them.

Well now, this is interesting. Ritsu looks the best. Totally unbiased talk here.

Goddamn despair eyes Kotoura.

Right through the heart, every time.

;_;

Oh god I know ;_;
*hugs Kotoura-san

I bought this a while back. The only problem is being in the mood to watch it. At least its there.

Something about this also reminds me of the "anime" part of Kill Bill. That was done with similar techniques.

Haly

Oh, and don't forget that AnimeGAF's favorite art studio is doing the backgrounds and art direction for Aku no Hana - Studio Pablo! They've mentioned a few times on their blog that they've been doing location scouting and taking reference photos for the backgrounds in the show, but they haven't been allowed to share anything yet.

Who are these people?

wonzo

Banned

haganai loli body pillows.............................

Haly

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 39

Bout to wrap up Season 1, and it's getting pretty good. Lots of feels are happening, but it's still pretty goofy for the most part. I like how in one episode the bad guys are like "Sailor Moon is really clumsy, so let's have a princess training seminar, and the dumbest, clumsiest one will be Sailor Moon!" and then in the next two episodes they're like "We'll have a princess contest, and the most athletic, graceful one has to be Sailor Moon!" The Dark Kingdom is just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks at this point. And Tuxedo Mask-sama is just trolling both sides, but his swag is so off the charts, he can get away with it.

tumblr_mb4vaerJBa1qdewlro2_400.gif

Hahah exactly. They didn't know wtf to do anymore so they just tried random shit to find her. I finally finished season one a couple of weeks ago. Just started R but haven't had time to really get going with it. Wont have time this week either. Or next week.
Maybe in February ;_;

wonzo

Banned

I agree it's extremely... odd, but I can think of a few reasons why it isn't an actual live action series:

- This way the actors don't have to look like the characters
- They don't actually need a "set" since the backgrounds would be created entirely in post-production, and everything can be filmed in empty rooms
- The actors don't have to sound like they want the characters to sound anyway, since there's a voice cast

But yet... even with those points, it does sound incredibly... complicated to get an end result which might not be desired. So many hoops for something which might look awkward and bad!

I'm so conflicted on this. ;_;

Dresden

Ah cool.

So like, where are they getting the budget for this, Aku no Hana isn't a big property last I checked. It's a niche manga for hipsters who read Asano and Seinen/Josei mags.

It does run in a shonen mag (which also runs stuff like Shingeki no Kyojin and Joshiraku), so maybe Kodansha? Dunno.

/XX/

You start with the first turn, Hayao Miyazaki. The premiere day of The Wind Rises is apparently on July, 20 (information put by the hand and with the signature of the very same Mr. Suzuki):

そう言えば、宮崎駿最新作「風立ちぬ」の公開日は7月20日らしい。ソース: ... on Twitpic
http://twitpic.com/c2o8ey

duckroll

Ah cool.

So like, where are they getting the budget for this, Aku no Hana isn't a big property last I checked. It's a niche manga for hipsters who read Asano and Seinen/Josei mags.

Well, the animation studio behind it is ZEXCS, so I doubt it's a particularly expensive series. It's just so... weird.

Kagami

I want Kagami to do the RKB S2 synopsis.

Haha, hmm. Maybe I can whip up something.

I try to get people watching certain shows, but with limited success.
Trying to get more Kiddy-Grade watchers for example.
I may be trying out Kiddy Grade soon.
I renewed my subscription to Funimation's site when they got Haganai NEXT, and I've been going down their list checking out things I've been curious about, starting with the ones that are subscriber-only.

So far this is how my to-watch list looks (titles are as Funimation spells them):

Watched
Freezing - Mediocre. Character design is reasonably attractive. A few tense moments toward the end but also plenty of dumb ones. Fights mostly consisted of people pulling new moves out of their ass and then explaining them. Main character is voiced by that VA of the Kokoro Connect bullying scandal and sounds kind of like Hoshi Souichirou.
Master of Martial Hearts - Wow this is terrible. It makes Freezing look like a masterpiece. Last episode was pretty funny though. It probably belongs on GAF's "List," especially since it's short so easy to just watch all of.
RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ - This is well made, but not to my taste. Dropped after 1 episode.
Girls Bravo - Typical juvenile repetitive harem slapstick stuff. Dropped @ 3.
Rosario + Vampire - About the same level as Girls Bravo. Dropped @ 3. Great voice cast though, even in just the first three episodes (Inoue Kikuko, Mizuki Nana, Koyama Kimiko, Fukuen Misato).

Remaining subscriber-exclusives:
Fafner
Gunslinger Girl

Non-subscriber exclusives:
A Certain Scientific Railgun (I saw most of this back in the day on Bandai Channel; just missed the last few episodes.)
Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Bamboo Blade
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Dragonaut
Fractale
Ga-Rei-Zero
Gunslinger Girl IL Teatrino
Haibane Renmei
Jinki: Extend
Kaleido Star
Kiddy Grade
Level E
MoonPhase
Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
Pani Poni Dash!
Princess Jellyfish
Pumpkin Scissors
Shiki
Shuffle!
Spice and Wolf (bunch of animeGAFfers seem to be watching this lately)
Steins;Gate (saw the first half on Crunchyroll so already know it's awesome)
STRAIN: Strategic Armored Infantry
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie
Vandread
We Without Wings (same as what's on Crunchyroll?)
[C] - Control

Jex

∀ Gundam: Called Turn-A-Gundam 42

The Dianas and Harry taking care of things! I still can't see how they could let
Agrippa escape.
that's actually a running grudge I have with the show, it's like no-one in the show ever wants to do anything. Diana Counter running around ignoring orders with no consequence being repeatedly betrayed by the same people. It's like they have 3 second memories or something. Loran must also be a moron.
Why on earth would you even consider handing over your only bargaining chip when there is nothing stopping them from killing you once you do?

I know this may sound a little counter-intuitive but I found it extremely liberating to accept that most people in ∀ Gundam, besides like Loran, are slightly/totally bonkers. It's a crazy show made up of crazy characters doing crazy things and that's often where the entertainment comes from.

Also, you're pretty close to the end now. Good luck.

Sazae-san Episode 5,991 or "Kapuru picking the right benchi"

This episode had couples, benches and why those benches are so important to a good relationship. Katsuo wanted to get in on the couple on bench craze that another couple had been doing so he enlisted the help of a girl called Hanako, who conveniently has a crush on him.

Benches are very important for meeting up with people so they have to feel right. Katsuo and Hanako would put their hands on the bench to make sure the bench is safe for sitting and talking about love.

Cwarrior

On Aku no Hana

They might as well cancel it, the manga went to shit after
the Time skip
:(

I already aborted/bailed out.

Just to let you know that's the same technique used in Kill bill vol 1 for the anime scene, they used live actor then rotoscoped into animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImyntxVxZyE

Stoof

Shin Sekai Yori 19

Wow, pretty intense. This has really been getting better and better every week and the animation has followed suit. It almost makes me forget the low point towards the beginning. Almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom