• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I think what interests me the most about the Psycho-pass OP2 changes each week is that it's like watching an Aftereffects project in progress. Each week they render out what they have, and then more corrections and changes are pointed out, and then they render out another one, etc.

Many of the changes are subtle and related to composite improvements or errors. There are also a ton of effect related changes, not to mention the credit overlays which have been improved a lot for readability too. It's interesting to see how the original OP in ep14 was compromised of pretty much all heavy contrast flat colored cuts, but each week they have been progressively adding sketch tone filters to the majority of such scenes to make them look noisier. I have no doubt that by the time the show ends, the OP will be consistently noisy looking instead of the clean vector looking style it first had. I just wonder why it's "progressively" getting improved, instead of getting changed wholesale... lol.

Funnily enough, I had always thought of this as a SHAFT thing. You probably wouldn't be aware of their practices, as you stay away from their works, but Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has like 8 variations on it's OP.

wonzo

Banned
happy bday regulus

Ai-Mai-Mi 7
aimaimi7.jpg
aimaimi7a.jpg

RE6 STRIKES AGAIN

perfect ara

cajunator

Banned

Fucking amazing. Even speedwagon fears her!

welcome back m_night and happy bday lafiel

Puchimas! 34

puchimasu34.jpg

ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara

What is this, Aria?

Happy Birthday to Regulus Tera and Lafiel.

Have a good one Lafiel and I hope yours has been good so far Regulus.

Happy birthday yall!

that's more like jman0.5

you can't be a 'jman' unless you have undying love for all things SHAFT.

But shaft does no wrong, so its not difficult to love them.

duckroll

Funnily enough, I had always thought of this as a SHAFT thing. You probably wouldn't be aware of their practices, as you stay away from their works, but Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has like 8 variations on it's OP.

Well, that's not exactly what I'm talking about. I guess I'm not expressing myself very well right now. I think that if something needs to be corrected entirely (the entire animation cut changed or corrected), then incremental changes make sense since animators could be busy. But what I cannot really fathom is how long it is taking for them to make basic changes to the overall composition which they seem to have decided on from the start.

I guess some illustrations could help me explain it better.

Here are 4 examples from the ep14 OP:

These are the ones they corrected in ep15:

And they only corrected this one in ep16:

There remain several cuts of this nature which still have the look shown in the ep14 examples, but have not been filtered yet. It is almost certain that they will eventually be processed in the same way. Those cuts which actually feature more detailed animations, and actual corrections in the art are definitely understandable. But this isn't something which requires animators to do any corrections, and if they're going to apply this filter to a bunch of cuts, they might as well do it for every cut which they feel needs it. So... why the evolutionary process?

Jarmel

Banned
There remain several cuts of this nature which still have the look shown in the ep14 examples, but have not been filtered yet. It is almost certain that they will eventually be processed in the same way. Those cuts which actually feature more detailed animations, and actual corrections in the art are definitely understandable. But this isn't something which requires animators to do any corrections, and if they're going to apply this filter to a bunch of cuts, they might as well do it for every cut which they feel needs it. So... why the evolutionary process?

It might be symbolic for how things are becoming less 'black-and-white' and are getting messier.

Haganai NEXT 06

Hey, if you were wearing actual jeans that were full length you wouldn't be receiving the full blunt of that kick.

Tsundere Maid Rika is amazing.

The rest of the episode was not so much.
God, silly me for expecting actual development near the end.

Articalys

It's highly unlikely that Viz licensing the Magi manga is going to do anything to make Aniplex USA hurry up with their plans for the anime, seeing as it's still airing and they're completely different companies and all, but I guess it's nice for anime fans to know that the (apparently) superior original form of the series will make its way over here too.

Also, the press release refers to the djinn as "Hugo", which is somewhat amusing, unless that's a typo.

Jex

[Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo]

The theme of this OVA series is pretty clear - America sucks. Just look at the very first image of this OVA:

GetterVS1_zpsbc3115d4.jpg

That's right, America, you got told. You can't even protect your monuments! Okay, okay, maybe this is just a coincidence and New York just happens to get wrecked because it's a recognisable landmark. Well, episode two soon puts that to rest:

GetterVS9_zps86af5f24.jpg

That's right. This show is not just gonna have a Yankee robot. It's gonna be Texan to boot. How many stereotypes can this series push?

GetterVS10_zpsde321c52.jpg

Ah yes, and the one thing that I can't capture about this Brother/Sister team (yep) is there terrible, fake English/Japanese voice acting. It's fairly amazing and a thing to behold.

GetterVS11_zpse8873fd4.jpg
GetterVS12_zpsd731b07e.jpg

Of course, because it's an American robot it sucks and gets easily bested by a throwaway monster of the week. Even the bad guy knows it:

GetterVS20_zps75b07133.jpg

GetterVS15_zps4d99df40.jpg

Which the Neo Getter Robo can destroy instantly:

GetterVS16_zps8df46c89.jpg

Fuck yeah, JAPAN:

GetterVS17_zpsa95af62b.jpg

I will say one thing for Texas Mack, he has a sweet giant horse. Named 'Posture King'. No, really:

GetterVS21_zps28ec22f4.jpg

GetterVS23_zps93e6bbac.jpg

In short, America blows and Japan rules.

Jarmel

Banned
I think that any intended symbolism (if any at all) is lost when it looks and feels like an unfinished product getting finished bit by bit.

Well there are supposedly other changes as well such as with Akane where I highly doubt it wasn't finished earlier:

I mean unless they're completely redoing scenes, Akane falling must have been done earlier.

Andrew J.

Zestuen no Tempest 18

Probably the best episode of this series since before the Eternal Forest Debate. Good sakuga for the fight scene and
Mahiro's breakdown
was genuinely affecting.

Moonlight

Banned
The Idolm@ster Episode 13

For the big concert episode, they sure hit the bare minimum of dancing animation in this episode. I felt like this episode should have been better than it was. We've spent the last few episodes building it up and somehow there's not a lot of weight to what's going down. That aside, it wasn't a bad episode, just less than the sum of its' parts. A few characters had their time to shine, anyways. Haruka really does get more likable as each episode rolls on by. In general, they get better at managing the gargantuan cast every episode, although they never really do much to affect how I perceive them. I think this was Miki's big moment in the show, which is ironic given she just had a (mediocre) episode. It sticks out in particular because, as per usual in the show, the episode was a sea of really poor insert songs, and Heart of the Marionette (and maybe Chihaya's solo, it wasn't as great as her previous showings, regardless) was actually pretty good, especially by this show's standard. So, props for that, Miki.

And all those still images and quick cutaways from performances, they do come through with the dancing sakuga by the end. I only wish it were longer, because the way they handled that was actually really great. The 3D camera effect is cheesy as good hell, but it was fun. The choreography was solid, and there's just something about the glowsticks and the chanting that adds a lot to the atmosphere of the whole thing.

As far as dances go, it was certainly far less offensive to look at than this.

izjbfP05mgBXm.gif

tl;dr

S Tier
Chihaya
Makoto

A+ Tier
Azusa
Haruka

B Tier
Hibiki
Takane
Iori

C- Tier
Miki

D Tier
Yayoi
Ami and Mami

F Tier
Yukiho

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zetsuen no Tempest 18

ROFL. The writing is so terribad and cheezy it's not even funny. Other than that. It was alright. Seems like they're progressing fairly well.

cajunator

Banned
That gif is not really that bad considering its missing all the in betweens.
Its not like A-1 decided that this was the way to do the scene. It didnt work out like they planned it to. TV deadlines are serious business. You have to make them no matter what. Its unfortunate.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I actually feel bad for A1. No matter how good the rest of the show is, this is the gif that will be remembered.

A1 will become one of those OT posters that enter every thread about Chinese things and say "fucking China".

Mature

Edit: ^Hahahaha. What a joke.

Its not like A-1 decided that this was the way to do the scene. It didnt work out like they planned it to. TV deadlines are serious business. You have to make them no matter what. Its unfortunate.
But does that really excuse it? If I'm watching a show on TV and suddenly the camera goes all blurry, you wouldn't say "Hey, it's not that bad considering they forgot to focus the lens". They are professionals and if logistics get screwed up with a 3rd party, it's just as much their fault as if they had just made a crappy animation.

Steroyd

Back when SHAFT made good OPs.

The good ole' days. :(

Psycho Pass - 17

We are the bjorg you will be assimilated

What the hell happened, even an episode full of exposition is alot more entertaining to watch through than the previous episodes, my brain is still trying to compute that this show is practically doing what it did in the first half, except alot better.

cajunator

Banned
^Hahahaha. What a joke.

But does that really excuse it? If I'm watching a show on TV and suddenly the camera goes all blurry, you wouldn't say "Hey, it's not that bad considering they forgot to focus the lens". They are professionals and if logistics get screwed up with a 3rd party, it's just as much their fault as if they had just made a crappy animation.

I'[m not saying its not their fault. It clearly is. but its more a sign of the production manager fucking up some deadlines than it is A-1 being incompetent. This isl ike saying just because someone at a company fucks up something, the company are just a bunch of fuckups. thats a slap in the face to everyone else on the team who may be doing a good job, including the animator of the keyframes.

Steroyd

Considering how it was brought to light how much they copy and pasted nearly everything from the OP in that episode, it's still a horrible oversight.

Doesn't compare to their other stuff, plus that makes my ears bleed.

cajunator

Banned
Considering how it was brought to light how much they copy and pasted nearly everything from the OP in that episode, it's still a horrible oversight.

Doesn't compare to their other stuff, plus that makes my ears bleed.

The Denpa Onna OP is like caviar. You just have to have a taste for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom