• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

3Y8Vmen.jpg

This is for our dear Magi fans! (also spoiler)

http://i.imgur.com/ihVatE1.gif

ifvpP9GPO9Vzn.gif

duckroll

Well there are supposedly other changes as well such as with Akane where I highly doubt it wasn't finished earlier:

I mean unless they're completely redoing scenes, Akane falling must have been done earlier.

These are the composition corrections I'm talking about though. In this example, they decided to change the cut from one with an artificial letterbox to one where the letterbox opens up. Now it is consistent with the later cut of Akane pointing the gun where it also starts in letterbox form and then opens up quickly.

Another cut they changed last week was the one with the Dominator outline zooming to reveal Kogami running. The earlier version was really badly timed, and felt clumsy. The animation cut of Kogami running was also not done to spec. So last week they changed the zoom speed to transit much faster, and the animation cut behind it was completely redone to actually show detail in the floor and for the camera to move in way where he runs towards the screen at first, before the camera moves upwards to show him from a top down angle.

There are lots of these changes which indicate that they have been following basic instructions from the original storyboard but the details haven't met the director's satisfaction. None of these really seem to by symbolic in "saying" anything other than "we're correcting stuff because it doesn't look like how the director wants it to look".

My confusion is why they're changing stuff literally a few cuts at a time, instead of there being a full list of changes to be made, and having it all done at once.

Mature

I'[m not saying its not their fault. It clearly is. but its more a sign of the production manager fucking up some deadlines than it is A-1 being incompetent. This isl ike saying just because someone at a company fucks up something, the company are just a bunch of fuckups. thats a slap in the face to everyone else on the team who may be doing a good job, including the animator of the keyframes.
Oh, agreed.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I noticed this earlier but was at work and that probably wouldnt have been a goodp lace to play the file. As I was walking out of the building and got into my car I put the file on and the Sync started automatically playing it on my Car's speakers XD

Hahah

Ne, Cajun-kun...

ano~ b..b...b..b...b b-b-b-b-b--b--b-b-b-b-be-be-be-be-be-be-be- BE MY........... um..... valentine...

762493-GIGGMTS.gif

-Minsc-

Gintama 157-158

One thing I found interesting is that you can really feel them stretching for time now. They're resorting to a lot of 4th wall breaking commentary and moving out of the story they're telling. I love the 4th wall breaking, so it works out, but you can tell they're running out of material to work with. It's not surprising they had to start taking breaks after this season. I honestly don't know if they could keep this kind of stretching for time.

I say this is the most stretched out of all the arcs in Gintama.

/XX/

The recently released volume of CGWORLD magazine appears to be very interesting with its look onto recent examples on Japanese animation productions that feature intensive 3DCG work, or that is work handled in part by Japanese companies in the case of TRON: Uprising and Polygon Pictures:

月刊 CGWORLD vol.175、2月9日発売! | INFORMATION | CGWORLD.jp
http://cgworld.jp/information/cgw175.html

And a bright 2013 awaits! Certainly, a force to be reckoned with!

Happy Birthday to Regulus Tera and Lafiel.

Have a good one Lafiel and I hope yours has been good so far Regulus.
Happy Birthdays to Mr. Reg-chan and Lafiel!

Nafe, you are a lifesaver! But I hope I don't accustom too much to (or rely too much on) your helpful input on this matter... otherwise I won't remember any birthday by myself!

Metrotab

Banned
Happy birthday Regulus Tera and Lafiel.

Samurai Champloo - 5

Were they playing chess? I remember those flat pieces from the Age of Empires 2 opening cutscene.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The sad part is, that dance actually looks pretty good.

Branduil

The future of anime: no in-betweening required. :(

I actually do think someone will eventually come up with software to automate traditional inbetweens. It would likely still require lots of correction and oversight, though, and it would work better for less exaggerated and stylized animation.

duckroll

I actually do think someone will eventually come up with software to automate traditional inbetweens. It would likely still require lots of correction and oversight, though, and it would work better for less exaggerated and stylized animation.

It really doesn't make any sense to me. What's the point of "automating" a process which isn't going to be automated at all in the end?

Metrotab

Banned
OreImo (rewatch) - 2

Talking to people online about anime and eroge? Such foolish ideas. I actually sympathize a lot with Kirino in this episode, as I too am pretty bad at meeting new people, definitely in pre-established groups.

I also remember thinking how boring Kuroneko was and that she was an uninteresting character, back when I was new to this medium and my taste was still undeveloped.

I still don't know what post-Evangelion is supposed to mean.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Haganai Next 06:

I'm gonna get a lot of use out of this pic.

Sena continues to be awesome, if stupidly gullible. And while Rika was kinda mean to Kodaka during the maid bit, I have to admit he deserved it. He's been rather dismissive of 2nd best girl. >>;

Psycho Pass 17
tumblr_mi8jwd0pRN1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pretty awesome episode for once again Shogo Epicshima showed that he is one of the best characters the writer of this story has ever penned in his life time. I pray we get him teaming up with Kougami, it must happen.

Sure it was a whole lotta talking and speculation but I still hold hope for Kagari.
They still showed no dead body and though his Dominator may be over there and there was a gun blast sound, I didnt see him fall over limp and like most manga have taught us, unless there is a dead body and they are in a grave then they could be alive. I just cant.

For the major development
I guess I was partially correct about the truth of the Sybil System being droids of sorts, though being a conglomerate of 247 actual human people of questionable morality themselves in addition to powerful computers is a bit more elaborate and sophisticated. I wonder why such a system was proposed as it seems odd to use people with psycho passes that dont respond to typical feelings of right or wrong as the ones who hold the ability to actually cast judgment and future predictions of the paths peoples lives will take. Then again Shogo does have a Pure White color and seems to follow typical moral thinking of right and wrong so perhaps these people are capable of being judges of the law.

Best scene was a tie between the big moment as well as the ending moment.
Shogo and his legs versus Touma with both the book in her face scene and then the monitor to the face, impressive. And then with Shogo appearing right beside Kogami while drinking his coffee. I got shocked when that happened and thought they would finally team up at last but darn just a phone call. Hopefully Kogami finds someway to team up, though I really would like to know how such a conversation would be handled and if they'd really tell everyone else or keep it secret. Would everyone turn against or be forced too or would this whole Kagari incident cause everyone to turn their backs on their bosses and begin to tear down Sybil System, only so few episodes.

The soundtrack was really good too.

Go_Ly_Dow

Since I haven't been able to post weekly impressions....

Chihayafuru season 2

Fantastic

Tamako

Great (2 eps behind)

Shinsekai Yori

HOLY SHIT EPIC!

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
Soooo, is Psycho Pass good? I wasn't feeling the first ep, but im thinking about giving it another try. I've been surprised before...

duckroll

You can avoid paying even the meager salaries of inbetweeners.

How do you avoid paying inbetweeners if whatever garbage this supposed system shits out still needs a lot of correcting and supervision? Are robots going to do that work too? If not, who? Are they going to be doing it for free? It would end up being the same amount of work or more, because you would have to pay a bunch of animators to check each and every frame for errors, without knowing where the errors could be (since no one drew it to begin with), and then after a ton of corrections, the inbetween supervisor would have to check it all again as it animates, and that person is going to get paid too.

It doesn't make any sense to me. There are no time or money savings. Inbetweening doesn't really take long, and it doesn't pay much. In fact, the reason why it doesn't pay much is because you're expected to do a lot of work within a given time. The only time this causes any problem is if you have to outsource stuff because you're working on too much at the same time. Relying on outside contracts creates quality or delivery problems for anything - key animation, inbetween animation, compositing, finishing, backgrounds, etc. This is an issue of being spread too thin, and not an inbetween problem.

There is no inherent problem in animation with regards to inbetweening, so there is no problem to solve. As there is no problem to solve, you are imagining a "solution" to which there is no problem. Inbetweening is actually a very valuable process in the Japanese animation industry especially, and without it, there might well not be an industry at all.

Branduil

How do you avoid paying inbetweeners if whatever garbage this supposed system shits out still needs a lot of correcting and supervision? Are robots going to do that work too? If not, who? Are they going to be doing it for free? It would end up being the same amount of work or more, because you would have to pay a bunch of animators to check each and every frame for errors, without knowing where the errors could be (since no one drew it to begin with), and then after a ton of corrections, the inbetween supervisor would have to check it all again as it animates, and that person is going to get paid too.

It doesn't make any sense to me. There are no time or money savings. Inbetweening doesn't really take long, and it doesn't pay much. In fact, the reason why it doesn't pay much is because you're expected to do a lot of work within a given time. The only time this causes any problem is if you have to outsource stuff because you're working on too much at the same time. Relying on outside contracts creates quality or delivery problems for anything - key animation, inbetween animation, compositing, finishing, backgrounds, etc. This is an issue of being spread too thin, and not an inbetween problem.

There is no inherent problem in animation with regards to inbetweening, so there is no problem to solve. As there is no problem to solve, you are imagining a "solution" to which there is no problem. Inbetweening is actually a very valuable process in the Japanese animation industry especially, and without it, there might well not be an industry at all.

Don't animation directors already have to correct inbetweening at times? I don't know, I'm not expecting it to happen in the near future, nor am I expecting automated inbetweening to become something used all the time, but I could see it being used to supplement things they already do. For instance, you might have a scene that's animated on twos, but you want it animated on ones and you use a program to fill in the extra frames. Or you might want to experiment with 60 fps anime. Technically things like this already exist, they just look like crap right now. And obviously CGI has automatic inbetweening. I wouldn't expect traditional inbetweening to entirely disappear, but I'd be very surprised if some sort of automated inbetweening program for traditional animation doesn't appear at some point.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Goldfish Warning!] 21 OR Another great SatoJun and Ikuni combo 21
First tennis, now golf, and in Utena, kangaroo boxing. Is there any sport Ikuhara will leave untouched?
This episode was all for the OTP. Takapii is a bro (and the NTR is palpable).

===

[Polar Bear's Café] 43
Punmageddon.
The joke writes itself, really. Also: what the hell, another ED?

===

Happy Birthday to Regulus Tera and Lafiel.

Have a good one Lafiel and I hope yours has been good so far Regulus.
happy bday regulus
Happy birthday yall!.

Happy Birthdays to Mr. Reg-chan and Lafiel!
Happy birthday Regulus Tera and Lafiel.
Happy birthday regulafiel. Terrible decision to make your alt so obvious, though.
You made a shitty day good, guys. Happy birthday Lafiel!

Jintor

Happy Reg day.

I said happy Laf day to Laf elsewhere so instead I formally challenge him to some kind of sparring thing if I ever go down to Melbourne in the future

Articalys

Haganai Next 6

Looks like we're going to make it all the way through the end of volume 6 with the next episode. They're really flying through these, aren't they?

duckroll

Don't animation directors already have to correct inbetweening at times? I don't know, I'm not expecting it to happen in the near future, nor am I expecting automated inbetweening to become something used all the time, but I could see it being used to supplement things they already do. For instance, you might have a scene that's animated on twos, but you want it animated on ones and you use a program to fill in the extra frames. Or you might want to experiment with 60 fps anime. Technically things like this already exist, they just look like crap right now. And obviously CGI has automatic inbetweening. I wouldn't expect traditional inbetweening to entirely disappear, but I'd be very surprised if some sort of automated inbetweening program for traditional animation doesn't appear at some point.

Animation directors correct layouts and key animation, not inbetweens. The art in inbetweens are based directly on the keyframes, so there isn't really much room for error except for technical errors (which is what the inbetween checker looks for). The animation director's job is to ensure a suitable quality of art (how things look) which is defined by the keyframes. When something looks off model, that's not some inbetweener's fault. That's a key animator being duuuuuh, and all inbetweens would have been based on that because it would have to be.

Automated inbetweening via software makes no sense because as I've explained each time you bring this up, it would not solve any problem but instead create more problems. The inbetweening process is a very technical one, but also one which requires a human with a brain to do it. A person who has studied animation and knows how it works would be able to look at key frames and replicate the required number of inbetween frames relatively quickly. It is a tiring process, and not particularly creative, but it is still artistic. A human can look at key frames and know at a glance what sort of motion it is. Is it a face? Is it an arm moving? Is it a running scene? Etc.

The problem with the idea of automating inbetweening is that it just creates more work, not less. Someone will still have to look at every frame that comes out, and it actually takes more time to look for errors in something which is prone to make mistakes, than to just do the thing yourself. Learning from your mistakes during inbetween also serves as training for better animators and more efficient animators who are able to draw faster. This experience is important because the inbetween supervisors were once inbetween animators themselves, so they know what to look for because they themselves have done the work. Eventually some become key animators, and then animation directors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom