• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I feel that, despite the obvious barrier of the Japanese setting, Sword of the Stranger is one of the few recent anime movies that could pretty relatively strong market penetration in the west but I suppose that era is truly over.

Shergal

I feel that, despite the obvious barrier of the Japanese setting, Sword of the Stranger is one of the few recent anime movies that could pretty relatively strong market penetration in the west but I suppose that era is truly over.

As a sort of lite "historical" japanese film, it's VERY accessible. I don't think anyone could possibly be alienated by it, but welp, animation needs fluffy jumpy animals and musical segments because it's for kids!

Ultimadrago

I would feel bothered if I could. The plot is pretty mediocre, and I don't buy the "it's a homage" thing (though I have watched practically zero samurai flicks, so I may be wrong here).

The main three characters and their interactions are the most salvageable thing, and I really enjoyed that aspect of the movie.

But really, I came for action, and I got action. As I said in the other post, I actually expected everything besides the action to be much worse than it was.

That's more than fair enough. I don't have a source on whether it is heavily referenced/dedicated or not, but I definitely sensed similar emotions portrayed in the dramatic scenes it as I did Bushido films such as Red Lion, 13 Assassins and a couple much older titles which names won't come to mind. (Though the latter is WAY newer than the former!) Heck, it could probably be a callback itself). They all revolve around some sort of honor and very "EEEVIL" villains, but that's not an idea to which any of them hold birthright.

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm up to episode 15 for Dennou Coil and one thing I have to note is how much better the episodic stuff is rather than the main mysteries. Episodes 11,12, and 13 have been the highlight of the show by far. The core stuff really isn't that interesting.

Shergal

So I'm up to episode 15 for Dennou Coil and one thing I have to note is how much better the episodic stuff is rather than the main mysteries. Episodes 11,12, and 13 have been the highlight of the show by far. The core stuff really isn't that interesting.

Unfortunately, the best episode in the show is 12 and you have already gone through it. It's all downhill from there, although it's still enjoyable.

BluWacky

You're not alone in that opinion, it's pretty much the majority way of thinking about the show. Although I liked the serial plot more than most, the show was definitely at its most inventive with episodes like the beard colonies or the plesiosaur one.

Shergal

I think the best episode regarding the main narrative of Dennou Coil was that one with the
cyber-zombies swarming Yasako's house.

Jarmel

Banned

Dump it on Toonami and the masses would eat it up.

Unfortunately, the best episode in the show is 12 and you have already gone through it. It's all downhill from there, although it's still enjoyable.

Well that's a shame. I liked episode 11 in particular as the animation really was fun in that, it seems I tend to prefer water-based animation after Tsuritama, but those three were something else.

Line Offline Salaryman 17

KMoihZf.jpg

The Light of El Cantare

Line Offline Salaryman 18

So amazing.

Galaxy Angel 25 (END)

Really loved my time with this show. All of the members of the Angel Brigade brought something hilarious to the show, along with the "reoccurring" trio of villains that are treated as different villains every episode and the one-shot characters. Episodes being only 13 minutes also does wonders for comedy anime. Will have to find something else to fill up my void of cuteness.

cajunator

Banned
Galaxy Angel 25 (END)

Really loved my time with this show. All of the members of the Angel Brigade brought something hilarious to the show, along with the "reoccurring" trio of villains that are treated as different villains every episode and the one-shot characters. Episodes being only 13 minutes also does wonders for comedy anime. Will have to find something else to fill up my void of cuteness.

You do know there are multiple series right?
There is A, AA, the S OVA, X, and Z

Shergal

Hyouka's 11-12 comments have been the best ones yet.

Key Animator Ryouhei Muta said:
I was also tasked with the final scene in the clubroom. How can I cure that dejected heart of Houtarou’s?! Pay attention to what Eru does in this portion.

“Oh, make Eru cuter!” I can’t give in when the director and animation director’s cries are that loud! Swing the hair, swing the hair, swing the hair…

Ha!

Jex

As a sort of lite "historical" japanese film, it's VERY accessible. I don't think anyone could possibly be alienated by it, but welp, animation needs fluffy jumpy animals and musical segments because it's for kids!

Well, I think animation by itself is a barrier to some people but they're not the kind of people who would ever be won over it by it anyway. It deserves a serious TV push though.

Jex

Dirty Pair: Project Eden

A fucking terrible movie and a collection of amazing music videos.

Basically everything I love about 80s anime and everything I hate about it all wrapped up in about a 1 hour time frame. A completely uninteresting, dull, nonsensical storyline that was honestly painful to follow wrapped around an absolutely amazing soundtrack with awesome scenes set to the tunes.

I guess it was worth my time but I would have been better off just watching the music bits on youtube.

I don't entirely disagree with you here, although I certainly wouldn't go as far as to call it "fucking terrible." It just isn't very well put together in terms of, well, being a movie.

My largest bone of contention with how weaker both Kei and Yuri are in this movie compared to TV series. They rely extremely heavily on the guy here and he's constantly the prime mover in terms of the action. This is almost never the case with the series where they spend a whole episode demonstrating that the Dirty Pair are better than most guys.

I think this blog does a fairly good job highlighting my problems with the piece: http://www.colonydrop.com/index.php/2009/05/07/project-eden?blog=1

Ultimadrago

Mouryou no Hako 5

mnh13jpro.png
dtlm6evs.png

Left: Wait, what?
Right: :DTL

This episode was about clairvoyance. Hopefully, Kanako's mother's past gives some insight on future events. Maybe Hiroya secretly...
was turned into a super soldier
! It's also mildly amusing how Enokizu seems to be extremely adept at picking up details on people he has never met, but can't remember poor Masuoka's name.

By the way, any reason for the
"You're in a tunnel and there's a sumo wrestler on one end and a ghost of the other?"
analogy? It might be just another piece of ancient Japanese mythology I don't know! I'm guessing it was just for the talk about Toriguchi and that girl's big brother pounding him.

"You know, there are no such things as mysteries in this world, Sekiguchi-kun."

Oh, come on! This show yet again teases me for not knowing the truth behind all its doors!

Branduil

My thoughts on the episode 21 preview for From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori).

DO NOT READ IF YOU DID NOT WATCH EPISODE 20 AND SEE THE NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW

I am guessing Maria and Mamoru are alive. I think Mamoru is horrifically mutated by the effects of Cantus slippage. Maria probably isn't doing so well, but I'm guessing few signs of physical mutation on her.

Humanity is fucked. I have no idea how Saki will get out of this. The only thing that could work is if the Fiend is killed somehow... actually I wonder. We saw a human attack another human, because the darkness obscured their vision and they thought that they were just attacking a false human. Saki is almost killed by a little kid, and mentions the kid -would- have died had he succeeded. So... why can't someone just take one for the team and kill the Fiend using their Cantus? Give him special glasses or do it during night so that the figure -could- be mistaken for something not entirely human. Then they can go through with the kill and die afterwards.

Of course that alone isn't enough. At this point only that and a total genocide of the Bakenezumi will suffice.

I don't think you can
trick yourself into attacking the fiend by pretending it's not human.
Their death feedback seems too smart for that.

Jex

[Jo Jo] - 19

jojo19_zpsc1284449.jpg

I disagree. This is the best year in ages.

At this point, I almost want to wait till it's all out and then marathon it in one go, but I know that I wont. I'm weak like that.

OreShura 07

Tormenting the main character isn't that funny anymore.

Wasn't terrible like last week's, so improvement! Red head isn't bad and would be a whole lot better if this show wasn't so stupid or if they kicked off the JoJo nerd and the childhood friend.

Jarmel

Banned
Dennou Coil 16-

I'm really hoping this story is not going where I think it's going. Also I laughed at the timing of that rain. It just literally screamed 'dramatic moment'.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Fresh Precure!] 03

The Chibi characters hide the :wonzoness of this show a lot better than the original designs.

No more mecha? Noooooo

Pine > Peach >>>>> Berry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom