• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

HRBpemD.gif

I was right to randomly choose her to be at the bottom of my first list.

Pet Girl of Sakurasou 18
tumblr_mi4v63O57q1qbytw2o1_500.gif

Cant believe Im seeing this like five days late. Anyway really good episode, bonding friendship understanding moment on the rooftop is probably one of my favorite scenes in the anime this season so far for Sakurasou.
Following it up with Jin saying lets go back home, home to Sakurasou, was so good and made me so happy

Ending moment felt like it came from nowhere, hopefully somehow it ties into the Game Developer plot line, only way I can see them managing to accomplish the necessary task.
Assuming its a monetary problem why Sakurasou is closing down and being demolished or something

DiGiKerot

I'm definitely not a Kugimiya loyalist in particular, but Iori is simply one of the roles that hits it off really well.

The funny thing to think about is, whilst the character has only really become known in Western fandom in the last year or so since the anime, Iori pre-dates the likes of Shana, Louise, or Nagi. Touka from MariMite predates the role, but Iori is pretty much at the spearhead of the Kugimiya tsundere-loli typecasting.

Ultimadrago

The funny thing to think about is, whilst the character has only really become known in Western fandom in the last year or so since the anime, Iori pre-dates the likes of Shana, Louise, or Nagi. Touka from MariMite predates the role, but Iori is pretty much at the spearhead of the Kugimiya tsundere-loli typecasting.

Well, you're just full of fun facts for me today!

Random question: I very recently found out about iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia's existence. How is it?

And I hate them all.

DiGiKerot

Well, you're just full of fun facts for me today!

Random question: I very rectnly found out about iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia's existence. How is it?

I'm... not the person to ask about that, or at least to give a properly balanced opinion on it. I've got a (well documented) kind of inexplicable love of the show which is entirely separate from my iM@S fandom.

Here's the thing - it's a terrible iDOLM@STER show. It's got very, very little in common with the core franchise, and annoys most of the properties fanbase enormously. The show starts pretty much with Haruka tripping over, but that's as much as a troll to the audience as anything. That, however, is kind of why it's an interesting show - it's a weirdly subversive production.

At this point, the show has really been removed from the context that made it particularly interesting in the first place, though. It was made by Sunrise Studio 8, as their follow-up to My-ZHiME, and was announced as such - most of the early press out of Japan was about how it was coming from the planning staff of My-ZHiME, setting the expectation that it'd be a similar recasting of characters - more or less intact - into another setting. Instead, it was pretty much a recasting of characters from My-ZHiME given appearances which look kind-of-like, but not entirely like, characters from the iDOLM@STER property, and completely difference voice actors as well.

That essentially sets the tone for the entire show, though - it's an odd composite of everything which was going on in Sunrise productions of the time, referencing the likes of My-HiME, ZHiME, Code Geass and Gundam SEED (+Destiny) with varying levels of explicitness in the events which are occurring, as well as mecha/SF anime in general, but repeatedly takes sudden left-turns just when you think you know what's about to go down. It's basically an entire series built around defying the expectations of the audience in peculiar ways, and it's strangely fascinating because of that if you go into it with the right mindset.

I dunno, I liked it a lot since it initially aired, and still liked it when I re-watched it from the recent Sentai DVDs. It was directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai (ToraDora, Railgun et al) just before he hit it big, and probably as a result of that (and the fact that Jukki Hanada, rather than Yoshino, wrote most of the scripts), it holds together an awful lot better than a lot of the other Sunrise productions of the time. It is, however, a bit of a slow burn - I think, personally, it was a deliberate troll on the production staff to hold off the "It's HAPPENING!" moment (though when it does happen, it's pretty major scale-wise) was latter than most of the shows it refers to does.

Namco don't actually list the show in their official iM@S productions timeline these days, which is kind of funny!

Hey AnimeGAF, I don't really post very much, but I was wondering if you could help me out. My 10-year old sister just asked me to recommend her an anime and I gave her a perfectly acceptable list, but then she emailed me back saying she decided to watch Black Rock Shooter. What should I tell her? Is it even age appropriate? All I know about it is that everyone here seems to hate it.

Jex

Hey AnimeGAF, I don't really post very much, but I was wondering if you could help me out. My 10-year old sister just asked me to recommend her an anime and I gave her a perfectly acceptable list, but then she emailed me back saying she decided to watch Black Rock Shooter. What should I tell her? Is it even age appropriate? All I know about it is that everyone here seems to hate it.

OVA or TV series?

The TV series doesn't really have any wildly in appropriate content, it's just really dumb.

Shitty iPhone pics warning!

cajunator, you are the sugoiest. You really shouldn't have. Now I can have smug!Erika at home!

Best birthday gift since I started turning tricks for a living.
That's great!
And you got them from cajun? What a nice guy!
Now take pictures of them outside of the box on display.

Tell her to watch K-ON! instead.

Ultimadrago

I'm... not the person to ask about that, or at least to give a properly balanced opinion on it. I've got a (well documented) kind of inexplicable love of the show which is entirely separate from my iM@S fandom...

Namco don't actually list the show in their official iM@S productions timeline these days, which is kind of funny!

Oh man, this type of information is not what I was expecting! Haha.
Well, thanks for the heads up and consider me intrigued. I will get to it once I finish up the main series.

Lastly, wonderful Iori voiced by Meruru? Haha! I HAVE to hear this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

There's violence but it's so unrealistic that I don't think that it would be a problem for a child, so I suppose it all depends on whether you think she can handle people emotionally manipulating each other in some really fucked-up ways. It's a bad show, sure, but I wouldn't tell someone who hasn't matured enough to apply criticism to the things that they watch not to watch it just for that reason.

BluWacky

My thoughts on the episode 21 preview for From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori).

DO NOT READ IF YOU DID NOT WATCH EPISODE 20 AND SEE THE NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW

I'm so glad we've got past the point where I know spoilers for the series. I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen next, and it's really rather exciting!

I am guessing Maria and Mamoru are alive. I think Mamoru is horrifically mutated by the effects of Cantus slippage. Maria probably isn't doing so well, but I'm guessing few signs of physical mutation on her.

I don't see how they can be alive; I think that was a major point of episode 18. Saki entertains the idea that they're both still alive, but the reveal from Tomiko that they've exhaustively tested the remains that Yakomaru brought to them really puts paid to that. Plus she "sees" Maria, Mamoru and Shun at the festival for the dead; that's what Satoru is saying to her at the end of the episode.

I think the "Cantus leakage" line refers to Shun. Somehow either she or Satoru has got to remember Shun by the end of the series - why not next ep?

Of course that alone isn't enough. At this point only that and a total genocide of the Bakenezumi will suffice.

I can't see the series going down this path at all. Genocide is completely contrary to the way that Saki has treated the rats throughout the entire series. From the first time we saw them when Saki saved Squonk's life, to her interactions with Squealer in the childhood arc and then the suspicious-but-respectful way she treated them in adolescence - even now, before the attack, she studied the molerats to try and understand them. The death of Yakomaru and the Fiend he "controls" is one thing; annihilation of another race? Particularly when Kiroumaru is still being portrayed as noble and sympathetic? I don't think so.

Fate Zero Einzbern Consultation Room 6

Way too long and drawn out. I think the best of the six was the one with lancer. Otherwise just dull and boring all around.

Accel World Special 7 / 8

Decent but still just made me crave more for the actual anime.

Tamako Market 6

Definitely on track for one of the more boring episodes of its run. All the characters no one cares about with too much screentime and ultimately, the most boring episode Ive experience of friends trying to work together to make something happened. I didnt even know something like that was possible to do as I usually like these type of plots but I guess with dull leads its bound to happen. I hate that Mochizou has to be pushed to the side with absolutely no screentime, its unfair that such a good character is trapped in an ungood anime :(

Dresden

I can't see the series going down this path at all. Genocide is completely contrary to the way that Saki has treated the rats throughout the entire series. From the first time we saw them when Saki saved Squonk's life, to her interactions with Squealer in the childhood arc and then the suspicious-but-respectful way she treated them in adolescence - even now, before the attack, she studied the molerats to try and understand them. The death of Yakomaru and the Fiend he "controls" is one thing; annihilation of another race? Particularly when Kiroumaru is still being portrayed as noble and sympathetic? I don't think so.

Assuming
Kiroumaru isn't in league with Yakomaru, anyways. Feels like Inui mentioning the drug that Kiroumaru's rats take leads up to this--of course, the latter could very well have stolen it or synthesized its own, but something about the manner of Kiroumaru's disappearance is suspicious, as well.

If she can handle some rather intense drama and a bleak atmosphere with some unsettling, yet incredibly stylized fight scenes, I'd say go for it. Both the OVA and TV series are pretty good.

Ultimadrago

Oooh. Something just came to me. I noticed earlier that there are images about on the Internet of two "Ioris" together and it confused me at first until now. There's also the differing hairstyles and colors.

Of course, Xenoglossia Iori is probably the best in her group as Iori in Im@s is the best in the main series.
I wonder how Xenoglossia Ritsuko is though.

OceanBlue

Oooh. Something just came to me. I noticed earlier that there are images about on the Internet of two "Ioris" together and it confused me at first until now.

Yeah. Iori got a redesign in the transition from iM@S to iM@S 2. Same with Mami, Makoto, and Azusa. That's why the Puchimasu anime designs look different from the iM@S anime.

DiGiKerot

Oooh. Something just came to me. I noticed earlier that there are images about on the Internet of two "Ioris" together and it confused me at first until now.

Of course, Xenoglossia Iori is probably the best in her group as Iori in Im@s is the best in the main series.

She's... pretty much Tokiha Mai from My-HiME, admittedly with a bit more of a habit of hugging people in full-body Penguin costumes.

Of course, she was voiced by Mai Nakahara as well. Funny injoke is that the character albums for Xenoglossia, rather than having actual character songs, were made up of cover-versions of the themes to other Sunrise mecha shows. Ritsuko's track was, of course, Shining Days, the OP from My-HiME.

Yeah. Iori got a redesign in the transition from iM@S to iM@S 2. Same with Mami, Makoto, and Azusa. That's why the Puchimasu anime designs look different from the iM@S anime.

Well, whilst iM@S doesn't really have anything you could strictly call "continuity", iM@S2 is, theoretically, a year later than the original iM@S. This has absolutely no reference in terms of story, as iM@S2 assumes no other iM@S work exists (it's not like the various versions of iM@S1 don't contradict each-other anyway), but essentially the character designs in iM@S2 are supposed to be what they look like a year further on in life. This is why they throw-back to the old design in the iM@S anime when they do Iori flashbacks, and Azusa starts the show with long hair.

cajunator

Banned

Why would she decide upon Black rock Shooter?
Who would do that to themselves :(
Well if its the OVA I guess its fine.

Oooh. Something just came to me. I noticed earlier that there are images about on the Internet of two "Ioris" together and it confused me at first until now. There's also the differing signature hairstyles.

I ended up getting Xenoglossia mostly on the recommendation of UnKnown Soldier I think it was, but just tell me, does Yayoi do her little "U-uu" sound? I hope so.

Ultimadrago

I see. Yeah, there are two different types of those pictures. One with the same brown hair and the other with one brown and one black haired. The brown hair ones do have two different hairstyles.

Of course, she was voiced by Mai Nakahara as well. Funny injoke is that the character albums for Xenoglossia, rather than having actual character songs, were made up of cover-versions of the themes to other Sunrise mecha shows. Ritsuko's track was, of course, Shining Days, the OP from My-HiME.

You're making me want to check out some of this My-HIME stuff. I feel like getting some reference!

cajunator

Banned
Her VA is Xeno is Ami Koshimizu, so it probably loses all of its charm if she does.

Thats disappointing. I liked the sound. It was adorable.
Of course some people didnt like it. I think it sounds like when my camera re-adjusts focus. E-EE! U-UU!

Yes I am easily amused by small things.

At the very least
I think any faction allied with Yakomaru must perish. Unless the rest of them do not share his beliefs.

Branduil

At the very least
I think any faction allied with Yakomaru must perish. Unless the rest of them do not share his beliefs.

Well if the humans really
try to genocide the entire queerrat population Squealer will suddenly find himself with a whole lot more allies.

Jarmel

Banned
Dennou Coil 18-

I liked this episode purely for the fact that Tamako acted like an adult. This is like a guy in a self-blame phase doing drugs after a relative dying. You gotta do an intervention at one point or another.

That said, I was more fond of this show though when it focused more on the technological components rather than this spiritual shit with the souls and other side. It feels like I got roped in with a hard scifi story and then got slapped with a fantasy story half-way through.

DiGiKerot

I ended up getting Xenoglossia mostly on the recommendation of UnKnown Soldier I think it was, but just tell me, does Yayoi do her little "U-uu" sound? I hope so.

Xenoglossia doesn't really keep any of the iM@S character traits - I mean, Haruka trips up in the OP sequence, but pretty much not at all in the actual show outside of the first episodes opening.

As far as Yayoi goes, the character is significantly older in Xenoglossia than in proper iM@S, and her "gimmick" is that she turns up in silly costumes, being a struggling TV and radio personality - she turns up in the first episode in a full Penguin costume, knowing that (Xenoglossia) Haruka is a penguin-obsessive. Fights with Iori a lot too, being that it's kind-of-deliberately not being iM@S about things.

cajunator

Banned
I see. Yeah, there are two different types of those pictures. One with the same brown hair and the other with one brown and one black haired. The brown hair ones do have two different hairstyles.

You're making me want to check out some of this My-HIME stuff. I feel like getting some reference!

My-Hime is a lot of fun but just be aware the ending is super shitty.

DiGiKerot

There has got to be a graph for all these changes.

Honestly, just about every character has at least minor tweaks to their character designs, mostly because Namco made a huge overhaul to the games hair-tech.

The hardware that the original iM@S arcade game ran on, as far as I've been able to tell at least, was pretty antiquated even at the point when the game was released - probably a result of the titles long gestation period (the original prototype of the arcade game appeared in something like 2002, three years before the first version of the game was properly released). The limited hardware basically informed all of the character designs (including Takane and Hibiki) excepting Miki, who was newly created for the 360 version of the game.

The iM@S2 designs are pretty much the result of them having decent hardware to target, being original to HD home consoles, so they made the hair a lot more elaborate as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom